• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US Supreme Court shows indifference to wrongful convictions

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.

Such nice people we have on the court. Just a bunch of stand up guys.

It sounds like the logic is this:

We would rather have innocent people be in prison than let criminals continually appeal their cases.

But I admit I didn’t give a thorough read through the article or the opinions of the court.

The courts are just doing what law enforcement does. Shoot first and don't ask questions later.

Or it could just be "How dare you say the noble judges got something wrong!! No appeal for you!"

From your article:
"Prisoners' rights to file a motion to vacate or correct their sentences were severely curtailed by Congress in 1996 in the wake of the Oklahoma City bombing, as lawmakers raised unfounded concerns about prisoners endlessly appealing their convictions."
So it sounds like it is not just a problem with the supreme court.

It sounds like the logic is this:

We would rather have innocent people be in prison than let criminals continually appeal their cases.

But I admit I didn’t give a thorough read through the article or the opinions of the court.
Which is the exact opposite of what the framers of the constitution intended. Originalists my lilly white ass.

The US just wants as many people as possible incarcerated. To assist in that end, most states (I believe) are now charging people money for their time in jail (or prison).

A friend of mine had to do five days in the city clink for something (I forgot the details). He ended up owing nearly 500 bucks for the stay - more than some motels in the area.

I have heard of various homeless people being sucked into the system by getting nabbed for vagrancy or loitering, then being fined, as well as charged for their city lock-up time. They can't pay because they have no income, so some of them end up having to do more jail time, etc, etc.

It's obscene.

https://www.rutgers.edu/news/states-unfairly-burdening-incarcerated-people-pay-stay-fees#:~:text=“Every state in the U.S.,and morality of criminal justice.”

Back
Top Bottom