• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Video: the incoherence of omnipotence

Here, let's try to rephrase that to make it clearer:

Faith is accepting conclusions when you don't have a good reason sufficient support for the conclusion* to do so.
Sigh.
I have faith that you mother loves you despite having never met you or your mother. Why do I have that faith?
Reason is waiting until you have a good reason sufficient support for the conclusion to accept a conclusion before doing so.

* in this case, "evidence" can include valid arguments
The reason i have that faith is that in >99% (insert your number here) of family situations I have seen that mothers do indeed love their children.
Based upon that knowledge and its overwhelming preponderance to the positive I will extrapolate from the unknown to the unknown i.e. from the general case to the particular case. If it turns out that a particular case in wrong then I will sadly acknowledge that.
I'm sorry if that was confusing for you.
You are not the least bit sorry.

Sigh.
I have faith that you mother loves you despite having never met you or your mother. Why do I have that faith?
Your observation is not based on faith it is based on observation. Very nearly every human mother you have ever observed loved her children, thus based on evidence you are able to confidently make this prediction. So the reason you have faith is because you are being disingenuous.

When you say that you have faith that god has a plan for you or that god exists at all or that Jesus died for your sins, you are using a very different definition of the word faith.

You are using a logical fallacy called "equivocation" in which you "confuse" different definitions of a given word in order to create fake support for a conclusion. It's disingenuous.

The reason i have that faith is that in >99% (insert your number here) of family situations I have seen that mothers do indeed love their children.
Based upon that knowledge and its overwhelming preponderance to the positive I will extrapolate from the unknown to the unknown i.e. from the general case to the particular case. If it turns out that a particular case in wrong then I will sadly acknowledge that.
Thanks for admitting that what you are doing is not faith. See? Being honest isn't as scary as you thought!

I'm sorry if that was confusing for you.
You are not the least bit sorry.
Were you being honest about not understanding what I was trying to say? Or was your request for clarification disingenuous?

Let me repeat.

If someone told you that they doubt whether or not the Sun rises in the East, would you ask them to have faith that the Sun rises in the East, or would you just show them the evidence?

If someone told you that they doubt the Germ Theory of Disease, would you ask them to have faith that the Germ Theory of Disease is true, or would you just show them the evidence?

If someone told you that they doubt that elephants exist, would you ask them to have faith that elephants exist, or would you just show them the evidence?

If someone told you that they doubt that McDonald's sells a product called a Big Mac, would you ask them to have faith that McDonald's sells Big Macs? Or would you just show them the evidence?

If someone told you that they didn't believe in electricity, would you ask them to have faith that electricity is real, or would you just show them the evidence?

But you do ask people to have faith that the story about the talking snake is true.

Then you play word games and try to "confuse" different definitions of the word faith and hope that I won't notice the shell game. Yes, I have "faith" that when I sit in a chair, the chair won't collapse, but when I say that, we both know that we are talking about a different definition of the word "faith." That is the "hope" sense of the word, not the definition theists mean when they use it as support for claims.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/81/Equivocation
http://www.txstate.edu/philosophy/resources/fallacy-definitions/Equivocation.html
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Equivocation

If you had evidence that supported your claims, you would not speak of faith at all, just like you don't need to mention faith when you confidently make the claim that the Sun rises in the East.

Let me repeat.

If someone told you that they doubt whether or not the Sun rises in the East, would you ask them to have faith that the Sun rises in the East, or would you just show them the evidence?
What do you mean by evidence? As Hume, Russell et al. showed that the fact that the sun has risen in the east for the last umpteen mornings is not reason (proof you prefer) to believe that it will do so next morning. I believe the sun will rise in the east next morning (God willing) but I cannot prove that it will.

If someone told you that they doubt that elephants exist, would you ask them to have faith that elephants exist, or would you just show them the evidence?
Show them elephants. But I cannot make them accept that elephants (as I use the term) exist. Reason does not work that way.

If someone told you that they doubt that McDonald's sells a product called a Big Mac, would you ask them to have faith that McDonald's sells Big Macs? Or would you just show them the evidence?
I wouldn't not show them that evidence as that is too scary.

But you do ask people to have faith that the story about the talking snake is true.
Yes
Then you play word games and try to "confuse" different definitions of the word faith and hope that I won't notice the shell game.
You are finding conspiracies where there are none.
Yes, I have "faith" that when I sit in a chair, the chair won't collapse, but when I say that, we both know that we are talking about a different definition of the word "faith." That is the "hope" sense of the word, not the definition theists mean when they use it as support for claims.
I do not care if you choose to use the word hope instead of faith.
No, I use the word hope as it is meant to be used.

If you had evidence that supported your claims, you would not speak of faith at all, just like you don't need to mention faith when you confidently make the claim that the Sun rises in the East.
see above

What do you mean by evidence? As Hume, Russell et al. showed that the fact that the sun has risen in the east for the last umpteen mornings is not reason (proof you prefer) to believe that it will do so next morning. I believe the sun will rise in the east next morning (God willing) but I cannot prove that it will.
You cannot prove ANY truly empirical fact with logic.

I expect you can justify that claim without resorting to logic ?
If not...

So how/why do you accept any truly empirical fact? Esp. those you have not experienced.

So how/why do you accept any truly empirical fact? Esp. those you have not experienced.

I use a combination of Fox News and Donald Trump's tweets.

You cannot prove anything to be an absolute truth using evidence.

Of course, you cannot prove that anything is absolutely true, so that should be irrelevant.

It is reasonable to conclude based on evidence that the Sun will rise in the East tomorrow. Yes, it is possible that tonight the Earth will be pulverized by a rogue planet traveling near the speed of light and that therefore there will be no sunrise for anyone, but the available evidence still makes the conclusion "The Sun will rise in the East tomorrow" a reasonable conclusion. That's how evidence works.

You can complain all you want about evidence not resulting in absolute truths, but history shows that evidence leads to more valuable and useful conclusions than truths arrived at in the absence of evidence.

Show them elephants. But I cannot make them accept that elephants (as I use the term) exist. Reason does not work that way.
If you show someone elephants and they still deny that elephants exist, then they are not capable of reason anyway and there is no point in trying to convince them of anything. The fact that some people are obstinate enough to deny valid evidence does not change the fact that you are accepting conclusions without evidence (or at least without good evidence) nor does it change the fact that accepting conclusions without evidence is a bad way of determining what is true.

I wouldn't not show them that evidence as that is too scary.
Nice dodge.

Yes
There, was that so hard?

Then you play word games and try to "confuse" different definitions of the word faith and hope that I won't notice the shell game.
You are finding conspiracies where there are none.
You are using different definitions of the word at different times in order to support your claim. You are using this equivocation fallacy without the assistance of anyone else, so it's not a conspiracy. The fact that you are using different definitions of the word is evident to anyone reading this exchange.

Yes, I have "faith" that when I sit in a chair, the chair won't collapse, but when I say that, we both know that we are talking about a different definition of the word "faith." That is the "hope" sense of the word, not the definition theists mean when they use it as support for claims.
I do not care if you choose to use the word hope instead of faith.
Of course you don't care. If you cared, you would notice that you are "confusing" different definitions of the same word in order to create false support for a conclusion. Caring about this would require caring about the whether or not your claims are in fact true.

I've been in a lot of apologetics arguments with Christians and Muslims, and I've noticed that "I don't care" statements increase in frequency as a Christian or Muslim is doing worse and worse in an argument.

A truth-seeker begins with the evidence, then shapes his conclusions to fit the evidence.

If you begin with the conclusion, then shape the evidence to fit your conclusion, then it would be perfectly natural for you to not care about whether or not your evidence is valid.

No, I use the word hope as it is meant to be used.
Yes, both meanings are technically correct. The problem is that you are using one meaning when we talk about trusting a chair to not collapse and a different meaning of the word when talking about religious truth claims.

1: I have "faith" that the chair won't collapse when I sit in it because I have evidence of past chairs not collapsing when I sat in them.

2: You have "faith" that the talking snake story is true.

Your logical fallacy is that because statement one is based on evidence, therefore I am wrong to point out that statement 2 involves accepting conclusions without evidence. This is the equivocation fallacy I was talking about before. Statement 1 and statement 2 are using two different definitions of the word faith. You are "confusing" the two definitions in order to deny what you are doing when you use faith to accept religious truth claims.

see above

Did. The shell game you are playing with different definitions of "faith" is not working.

Last edited:
Just think about your own counterarguments.

The nature of your own counterarguments reveal what you are doing when you accept conclusions without evidence (on faith).

If I was in fact wrong and you were accepting these conclusions on evidence, then instead of using an equivocation fallacy, you would be showing me the evidence that supports your religious truth claims. That would conclusively prove that I am wrong about what you are doing when you accept religious truths on faith. Instead, you want to quibble about the definition of faith and even then you have to use a logical fallacy to construct your argument.

Sigh.
Well, it is a basic presumption based on your experience in the world and the general relationship between mothers and their children. Your parallel falls flat on its face due to entire lack of any first, second, or third hand experience with a deity. So trying to juxtaposition faith in a mother's love with the belief in an unobservable deity... pretty damn weak.

Reason is waiting until you have a good reason to accept a conclusion before doing so.

I note your use of the equivocation fallacy in post no. 411. You have used the word 'reason' in 2 different senses in the same sentence and hoped I would not notice it.

Pot meet kettle.

- - - Updated - - -

Sigh.
Well, it is a basic presumption based on your experience in the world and the general relationship between mothers and their children. Your parallel falls flat on its face due to entire lack of any first, second, or third hand experience with a deity. So trying to juxtaposition faith in a mother's love with the belief in an unobservable deity... pretty damn weak.

Unobservable deity - that is precisely what we are arguing about. What constitutes evidence? We shall have to agree to disagree.

Unobservable deity - that is precisely what we are arguing about. What constitutes evidence? We shall have to agree to disagree.
Observation would include just that... an observation, visual, audible, tastable. Not a metaphor, not a simile, not a juxtaposition, not via an unanswered question, but an actual observation. Saturn is 1.2 billion kilometers from Earth... yet I have still physically observed its rings. Scientists have observed a ripple in the space time fabric. In what way is god observed? As a note, a "feeling" isn't quite an observation.

But your deity is not unobservable, and Christians have only held that it was when engaged in arguments over what constitutes evidence. In fact, Jewish and Christian scripture tells us that God has intervened physically in events throughout history, including that time it sent us an actual incarnation of itself in the body of Jesus. Throughout history, Christians have sought tangible proof. There are plenty of Catholic churches in the Old World with pieces of the cross and other artifacts, such as the Shroud of Turin. The Bible itself is sometimes held to be tangible proof of God's intervention in human affairs. Miracles are alleged to happen all the time. People still pray for them. So it is really absurd to act as if there were no tangible proof of God's existence beyond subjective experiences of communing with the deity. Christians have always felt a deep need for such proof.

But your deity is not unobservable, and Christians have only held that it was when engaged in arguments over what constitutes evidence. In fact, Jewish and Christian scripture tells us that God has intervened physically in events throughout history, including that time it sent us an actual incarnation of itself in the body of Jesus. Throughout history, Christians have sought tangible proof. There are plenty of Catholic churches in the Old World with pieces of the cross and other artifacts, such as the Shroud of Turin. The Bible itself is sometimes held to be tangible proof of God's intervention in human affairs. Miracles are alleged to happen all the time. People still pray for them. So it is really absurd to act as if there were no tangible proof of God's existence beyond subjective experiences of communing with the deity. Christians have always felt a deep need for such proof.

Jimmy Higgins in post 433 first used the term 'unobservable deity' not me. I was merely quoting him.
Granted i was not very clear.

Back
Top Bottom