• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Violence Against Women and Stand Your Ground

A whack on the seat of learning with a rolled up newspaper would have been more effective. Works on puppies I'm reliably informed.
A wise man once said,
Indeed. Parents often complain that their children do not pay attention to them. They are paying attention. Just to the wrong parts of us.
So perhaps using violence to send a message is not the lesson you really want to teach.

I found that asking the kids to think through what their behavior would result in did the trick, no need to treat them like badly treated dogs.
Memo to one's self.
Most Americans would not recognise sarcasm if if he walked up to them and slapped them hard across the chops.
Some people think it’s okay to make sarcastic jokes about the abuse of children and are suprised when other people are not amused by it. It happens.

Curious; do you have children? Do you whack them? Do you think it’s funny sarcasm to talk about whacking them? Would they think so?
Sigh.
The original comment that got up your nose was a quote from Snoopy (I am sure you are familiar with that creature? It is fictional by the way). Take it up with Charles Schultz.

Do I have children? Yes , a precious daughter
Do you whack her? When she was small she was smacked. Now her husband can deal with her on a day-to-day basis.

(Again too many Yanks cannot detect sarcasm even if it whacked them across the chops.)

A whack on the seat of learning with a rolled up newspaper would have been more effective. Works on puppies I'm reliably informed.
A wise man once said,
Indeed. Parents often complain that their children do not pay attention to them. They are paying attention. Just to the wrong parts of us.
So perhaps using violence to send a message is not the lesson you really want to teach.

I found that asking the kids to think through what their behavior would result in did the trick, no need to treat them like badly treated dogs.
Memo to one's self.
Most Americans would not recognise sarcasm if if he walked up to them and slapped them hard across the chops.
Some people think it’s okay to make sarcastic jokes about the abuse of children and are suprised when other people are not amused by it. It happens.

Curious; do you have children? Do you whack them? Do you think it’s funny sarcasm to talk about whacking them? Would they think so?
Sigh.
The original comment that got up your nose was a quote from Snoopy (I am sure you are familiar with that creature? It is fictional by the way). Take it up with Charles Schultz.

Do I have children? Yes , a precious daughter
Do you whack her? When she was small she was smacked. Now her husband can deal with her on a day-to-day basis.

(Again too many Yanks cannot detect sarcasm even if it whacked them across the chops.)

DARVO

It’s interesting that you say that the whacking children comment is someone else’s fault. As if you were completely and utterly unconnected to the printing of it here. Schultz may have written it originally, but you brought it back to life. Your own choice.

Can I detect sarcasm? Absolutely and very well.
Do some people use sarcasm to say some pretty awful things? Absolutely, happens all the time.
Does the fact that it was said sarcastically make it less awful? It turns out, no. Why on earth would one think that sarcasm makes the comment less biting?
Yes I knew it was BOTH sarcasm AND about whacking children.

Next question: Can an Aussie detect irony? Like talking in the same (sarcastic) breath about whacking children and lamenting that they only pay attention to the wrong parts of us?
I found that juxtaposition to be monumentally ironic. Don’t you?

Also interesting that you mention on the same line that you smacked your daughter and that she is now dealt with by her husband, as if she is an object, or a dog, that you used to own but you passed on to a new owner, who can now beat her if he wishes, it seems like. For the record, I’m actually far less upset about smacking children via what is known as “spanking” than some people, I just find it to be achingly ineffective, because children take away the message that violence solves problems and/or that people are allowed to hit them but they are not allowed to hit others, both messages being pretty destructive, and the latter which I sure hope your daughter did not take into her marriage, eh?

Kids of violent parents are quite often violent themselves. It's what they were taught.
My daughter surprised me when she was quite young (~4yrs) by giving another driver the finger whilst siting in her seat booster. When I asked her why she did that she replied "Mum does that all the time!"
But not whilst I was in the car.

She should have gotten him into counseling instead of buying him a car.
(Though that will tend to give one a distorted view of the MSM)
Does not work on digs or kids. Anyone who believes it dies or is tempted to use this method of abuse in lieu of teaching good behavior is in serious need of counseling g.

Does not work on digs or kids. Anyone who believes it dies or is tempted to use this method of abuse in lieu of teaching good behavior is in serious need of counseling g.
Sigh. Sarcasm is really lost on so many Yanks.
That quote was from Snoopy (Peanuts), a fictional character. If you do not like the quote talk to Charles M Schultz.

That quote was from Snoopy (Peanuts), a fictional character. If you do not like the quote talk to Charles M Schultz.
He’s been dead for years.

Huh. I never read any Peanuts strips that advocated for hitting dogs or kids….

Your sarcasm is not “lost” on anyone (as I explained above.) You seem to suffer the delusion that because it’s sarcasm, it’s benign, or perhaps even funny, by definition.

That’s objectively wrong.
People have used sarcasm to wound others for millenia.

That ain't no Charles Schulz quote... where do people come up with this crap? I mean, some damn right wing meme no doubt. But Chuck was no child abuser. Rita Skeeter wannabes have been trying to find "dirt" on the man since the strip debuted. His only dark side was his own depression, and he kept it locked up inside. Rare for a cartoonist. You want to find a real bastard to quote, look up Hank Ketchum.

That ain't no Charles Schulz quote... where do people come up with this crap? I mean, some damn right wing meme no doubt. But Chuck was no child abuser. Rita Skeeter wannabes have been trying to find "dirt" on the man since the strip debuted. His only dark side was his own depression, and he kept it locked up inside. Rare for a cartoonist. You want to find a real bastard to quote, look up Hank Ketchum.
Yeah, I heard that Ketchum guy left his wife, who then let his brat kid go on a tour of terror having his pet rat attack neighbor's pets, going so far as to even electrocute some (this is a really just a joke about Pokemon please don't hate me.)

Back
Top Bottom