• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

*Warning: May contain nuts, Christians and/or both

That is why I've never hidden my atheism, and have no problem standing up to Christians who are obnoxious.

What about Christians who personally are friendly and caring, but their religious views are obnoxious and they are trying to impose them on others through government or even impose them on their own young impressionable and vulnerable children for example (through indoctrination)? At what point do you say something about their beliefs being harmful? Only as a last resort, or anytime earlier?

I am not going to judge my Christian friends

Anytime you form an opinion on a person or thing, you have formed a judgment of them/it. Your judgments can (and will) change, but we should not back from the word "judge" as if it is a scary concept itself. You can judge a person to be of good or bad moral character, or you can judge certain music to be to your liking or disliking. We should not have such a negative stigma attached to the word "judge." It is a harmless word that people take offense to.

I have been confronted by the more unpleasant variety of Christian, the ones who judge me harshly, the ones with closed minds who think only they have found the truth. I have stood up to these people, but not one time have I ever been able to convince them that they are wrong.

I have. I know others who have also. Perhaps the flaw is with your technique then. Also, I have had my mind changed on numerous religious/atheist related topics over many years by seeing/hearing/reading other atheists espouse their views.

We never discuss religion or politics out of respect for each other.

That is not a sign of respect, or disrespect. It is merely a sign that the risks of doing so would be higher than the rewards. People who respect each other can and often do talk politics/religion, even when they fundamentally disagree. Respecting someone does not mean you need to shut up around them whenever you disagree with what they say. That is more a compromise to shut up for mutual self interest, which is different from shutting up "out of respect."

If you are worried about those who want to change laws based on their religious beliefs, the best thing one can do is to become active in politics, run for office, get involved, help register people to vote, give money to people who will support your views, and above all else vote.

Even better, we can also become very socially active much earlier by engaging the culture and speaking up and about our own opinions. Do not wait until the last minute of an election cycle to air your beliefs and criticizing other bad beliefs. Speak up here, speak up now. That kind of investment has a better chance of paying off later on.

ps: If I haven't replied to your every post, please remember that there are 10 of you and one of I; plus I have a day job

Isn't doing everything you can to help save people from hell more important than your day job?

To borrow from an earlier analogy, if you are on your way to work and see an inattentive pedestrian about to get hit by an inattentive car driver, wouldn't you do everything in your ability to stop that collision from occurring, even if it meant getting to work a few minutes later and not getting all your daily job done?

When the stakes are even infinitely higher, why would you prioritize your daily job over preventing people from suffering for all of eternity?

It seems that an omnipotent God could, if it really wanted to, take care of your own personal needs so that you would not have to devote any time to them, and you could instead focus all of your resources on saving people from hell.

Hi Brian,
You're probably right. In fact, I know you're right - I could try harder. I am where I am at as far as being a good human; there are plenty further down the road than I. And yes, the more I am here, the more I think that I should be here more. I will do my best. Even with a job, I could do more. Maybe I should change my name to LazyI.

I just wanted to point out one thing also - I don't believe in hell so much as just death, for various reasons. However, as I mentioned, perhaps there is a hell for those who really need it (Satan, his besties, Keith&Co and such). God only knows. I just want you guys to know that the water of salvation is free - give it a try. Knock and it shall be opened. No, I doubt God will reach out of the sky, at least not in the first 15 years, but ya never know.

Will God send a winning lottery ticket my way. Hope so. Until then, I'm sure he's got it all under control.

1I

Ps; regarding above, Just kidding Keith&Co. judge not lest one be judged.

I will do my best. Even with a job, I could do more.

I mean more than that however. If this narrative about your religious beliefs is true, then you should quit your job and devote all of your time, energy, and attention to evangelizing for it. Let God take care of your personal finances and making sure you can pay your bills and feed your stomach.

I just wanted to point out one thing also - I don't believe in hell so much as just death, for various reasons.

Color me curious. What are those reasons?

However, as I mentioned, perhaps there is a hell for those who really need it (Satan, his besties, Keith&Co and such). God only knows.

Perhaps there is a hell for those who do not really need it. Perhaps there is no hell at all. Or there is a hell, and God sends all men to hell while all women go to heaven. Or God sends all who prefer crunchy peanut butter to heaven and those who prefer creamy peanut butter will go to hell. Perhaps God will send everyone to heaven who stood up to Himself and defied his authoritianism, while sending everyone to hell who simply acquiesced to Himself. Perhaps everyone born on a Tuesday goes to heaven and everyone else goes to hell. Who knows? With God, all things are possible.

I just want you guys to know that the water of salvation is free...

That is entirely untrue though. It is anything but free. You must completely and entirely and unquestionably commit to obedience and worship of God for all of your existence. If you don't, he will make you suffer for all of eternity.

Just think to anytime in your own life experiences where you have given a gift or received a gift to/from anyone else. Have those "free gifts" EVER included a disclaimer that the other person must then swear complete allegiance and obedience to the other, and if they do not swear as such then they will be tortured? If the word "free" is going to mean anything at all, we have to recognize that it does not apply to this package deal that comes with religion. It has an infinitely expensive price tag.

I just want you guys to know that the water of salvation is free - give it a try.
But it's not 'free.' There are strings attached.
If salvation was free, God would just give it to all his children, not those that meet his requirements.

And the requirements include accepting some really offensive basics as fact, rules and claims that don't make sense to me. I would have to lie to say that I accept this deal. And lying is one of the strings....

Brian, I'm not going to respond to your most recent posts. You and I see things in such vastly different ways, that I see no reason to continue this conversation. We're not going to change each other's minds, and that is why I frequently leave threads. It seems pointless to continue.

I just want you guys to know that the water of salvation is free...

That is entirely untrue though. It is anything but free. You must completely and entirely and unquestionably commit to obedience and worship of God for all of your existence. If you don't, he will make you suffer for all of eternity.
Well, if the roughly 29% of humanity that claims this free gift, then it really isn't that costly for most. After all, most claimed Christians barely have a clue about their holy book. Huge numbers of them regularly ignore its dictates (even assuming that said persons can come up with what they are supposed to do/not do). I have evangelical in-laws, and they swear regularly, regularly slander people and display hate on social media, are war mongers, are gluttons, and most of the kids openly had sex before marriage. But oh, do they despise those 'gay' people. But sure it still costs them some wasted time on Sunday...

Anywho, on the "salvation is free - give it a try" thingy. How does one give something a try, if one has logically concluded it (the theology) is largely all made up? FWIW, I grew up mainstream Protestant. In college I switched to an evangelical/Bible church thinking it was more Bible based. After a dozen years, the cracks formed and grew. I still remember think of 1 Corinthians 10:13 "No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it." Yeah, that didn't work out... Sounds like telling a gay person to just try having straight sex again, it might change you.

Brian, I'm not going to respond to your most recent posts. You and I see things in such vastly different ways, that I see no reason to continue this conversation. We're not going to change each other's minds, and that is why I frequently leave threads. It seems pointless to continue.

You are welcome to change your mind anytime.

In having observed your arguments over time, I have to mention that many of them rely on using detailed personal anecdotes and experiences and over-extrapolating from them into drawing unwarranted conclusions. It is the hasty generalization fallacy at play. I do not point this out to hurt you, but just wanted to let you know of this habit so you can spot it easier yourself as well and then correct for it. In the example earlier, you may be entirely right that you personally have not seen 1 person ever change their mind on their religious beliefs after a frank and candid discussion about it, but that does not in the slightest mean that such changes are impossible for everyone and that they never happen at all. A lot of people do deconvert because they were approach and confronted with questions and ideas from atheists/nontheists that they had never encountered before.

Last edited:
Anywho, on the "salvation is free - give it a try" thingy. How does one give something a try, if one has logically concluded it (the theology) is largely all made up?

Yup, it is like telling an adult to revert back to the Santa Claus belief. It made you feel good back when you believed it, so might as well believe it again yeah? Well no, we cannot just pick and choose what to believe. We need to be convinced that an idea is true. We cannot throw darts at a belief-dartboard and use that to determine which beliefs we will hold.

Anywho, on the "salvation is free - give it a try" thingy. How does one give something a try, if one has logically concluded it (the theology) is largely all made up?

Yup, it is like telling an adult to revert back to the Santa Claus belief. It made you feel good back when you believed it, so might as well believe it again yeah? Well no, we cannot just pick and choose what to believe. We need to be convinced that an idea is true. We cannot throw darts at a belief-dartboard and use that to determine which beliefs we will hold.

Hi Brian, Sohy, Keith&Co, and the rest....

Sorry for the long absence - my work demands that I sometimes focus on it.

Yes Brian, you are right - if I was a perfect Christian, I would throw caution and finances to the wind and just spend 24/7 trying to teach others. I'm not though. I'm not even a very good Christian, but nonetheless, I somehow find myself on this thread talking about it, doing my best to answer questions and maybe give some or one of you a reason to believe in Jesus, the Bible.

To answer your question above, how does one give it a try if you believe it's all made up (and revert back to Santa Claus). From my perspective, I think that the Bible is telling us to go beyond our own logic, and to just have faith. Maybe that's why God doesn't just send down the DVD - he wants people who can just trust. Jesus said blessed are those who believe without seeing. I know that goes against daily logic - we all want proof of everything before we sign on the dotted line, but in this case, we are asked to sign up just on belief. Crazy eh.

Here's an analogy that comes to my mind. Say your wife went out somewhere and came home and you said where have you been and she said - out with my friend, Susan. Would you ask her to prove it? Could you just trust that what she says is true, or would you need proof. I think a husband who loves his wife would take her word for it. I also think that she would be offended if you demanded proof. Maybe it's kind of similar to what God wants from us. Now, if you just can't believe it without proof - then maybe that's your problem and not God's.

The way I believe it, God sent his Son to save those who believe in him. (Period). We come to him as children, not as lawyers with a magnifying glass. You believe; you live with Jesus in heaven for eternity. The thing is, he can't force you to believe. It's up to you. So just do it. Put down your logic and just except it. Some things, especially when it comes to God, are beyond our limited comprehension.

Here's another analogy: Just like when a parent tells a child something they don't understand, it is important that the child listen to the parent and do what they say, even though they don't understand. Otherwise, the child, leaning fully on his own knowledge, would be drinking bleach and eating Tide pods.

The reason I don't believe in hell (at least not for the garden variety non-believer) because then that would make God a tyrant, torturing people endlessly. Therefore, I believe, those people who don't move on, will simply be annihilated. Maybe I'm wrong though. Does it say in the Bible that God will torture all non believers for ever and ever?

Here is a link that will certainly explain it better than me. It's entitled: CHRIST DIDN’T CONDEMN NON-CHRISTIANS TO HELL

https://lifehopeandtruth.com/life/life-after-death/what-is-hell/christ-didnt-condemn-non-christians-to-hell/

So ya, I believe more along those lines than the hell scenerio. Basically, it says that everyone who dies will get the full story, and THEN, if they still don't believe and continue to tell Jesus to F-off, then they get the hell treatment.

That's it from me tonight my friends. I will try to be back more often. I do enjoy being able to debate these things with you. I remind you, that I would not be the one knocking on your door step and trying to force my beliefs on you, but here, on Talk Free thought, in the religious section, in a thread that even has a warning - may contain Christians, I feel comfortable that we can discuss these things.

Thanks,

1I

Theres a difference between 'out with my friend, Susan' and 'out with Susan riding unicorns over the rainbow.'
One is possible and my mind accepts it.
One would, indeed, require substantial evidence. This does not mean i'm bejng an asshole or a lawyer, she is making a claim that i can NOT accept at face value. I never heard of a 'Susan' among her friends.

Here's another analogy: Just like when a parent tells a child something they don't understand, it is important that the child listen to the parent and do what they say, even though they don't understand. Otherwise, the child, leaning fully on his own knowledge, would be drinking bleach and eating Tide pods.
This analogy sucks, too.
I have actually spent time with my kids, showing them that I know what I'm talking about.
If nothing else, they know that I exist.
I didn't appear to one child and charge him with being the one to tell the others about me and my desires.

I also didn't turn my back on the kids until _I_ knew that they were not going to endanger themselves. Either because they couldn't get out of the playpen, or because they could be trusted with soap, electric outlets, bleach, the catapult, and not to eat the money in the change jar.

This is absolutely nothing like being told by some stranger that another stranger wrote down some stuff this strange god told someone else about how i need to live my life. I find it difficult to trust the motives of someone i don't know to exist.

Prove to me that gods exist, first. Prove that they have the slightest interest in our actions down here on Earth. Prove that one or more of them communicated this interest to someone down here. Prove that the bible is a trustworthy account of that interest and that communication. Prove that the current available copies have sufficient fidelity to the originals to be equally trusted. Prove this, then we might have a basis for you to suggest that i should trust your god no matter how weird the story seems to be.

...if I was a perfect Christian, I would throw caution and finances to the wind and just spend 24/7 trying to teach others. I'm not though.

What concerns me is when people recite this often-used acknowledgement of "I am not a perfect [human, Christian, friend, parent, etc.]" as a moral excuse to keep committing even more imperfections. Since we cannot be entirely perfect, any shortcoming we have is just as fine as any other shortcoming we have, amirite? (No.) Even though you will not succeed in reaching the landmark of being a perfect Christian, that is still the direction that you should be aiming for. That in itself should compel you to quit your job and spend every single ounce of time, energy, and other resources to trying to be as close to a perfect Christian as you possibly can. The Christian God is omnipotent and could take care of your material needs if it wanted to.

Again, imagine yourself at some intersection where you see a car with an inattentive driver about to hit an inattentive pedestrian. Would you do something to try to prevent it, or would you copout by saying "Well, I am not a perfectly ethical person so I will allow this catastrophe to occur <shrug shoulders>" and just be on your way to work? Would you feel at least a little remorse for not doing more, when you could have?

From my perspective, I think that the Bible is telling us to go beyond our own logic, and to just have faith. Maybe that's why God doesn't just send down the DVD - he wants people who can just trust. Jesus said blessed are those who believe without seeing. I know that goes against daily logic - we all want proof of everything before we sign on the dotted line, but in this case, we are asked to sign up just on belief. Crazy eh.

Not just crazy. Also lazy, irresponsible, morally reprehensible, intellectually cruel.

If a person is presented with 20 different stories of various gods, each of which demands complete obedience to themselves, and says that they will reward everyone who falls in line with that request and will torture everyone who does not---how should a person best decide which of those gods is actually a legitimate reality, if any? (Setting aside here the atrocious conduct of this god making such requests in the first place). We have this tool of logic and reason that allows us to make rational judgments, to have the best chance of determining what is true or false. That is how we filter out junk beliefs from sound beliefs. So how/why should a person give particular favor to the claims of the Christian version of god over the other 19 descriptions of god? If they should not use reason, but use faith instead, wouldn't it be just as valid to use faith to live in accordance with Zeus, or Allah, or such? How should we determine which of the 20 gods we should have faith in? Whomever promises us the most? Whomever threatens us the most? Whomever is the most likely to actually be real? Something else?

Here's an analogy that comes to my mind. Say your wife went out somewhere and came home and you said where have you been and she said - out with my friend, Susan. Would you ask her to prove it? Could you just trust that what she says is true, or would you need proof. I think a husband who loves his wife would take her word for it. I also think that she would be offended if you demanded proof. Maybe it's kind of similar to what God wants from us. Now, if you just can't believe it without proof - then maybe that's your problem and not God's.

That analogy has some very serious problems though. Just a couple:
1. It would not be in doubt that my wife exists in the first place. If instead I was hearing from some woman, Susan, that she was just having dinner with my wife, and I do not recall ever getting married in the first place and never consented to that kind of arrangement, then I would have reasonable grounds to suspect that something was wrong with Susan's story. It would be reasonable for me to ask for better evidence from Susan that she knew someone who I was married to, and she was speaking on her behalf, all the while my (supposed) wife was entirely silent about the whole matter.
2. There is a very important concept to remember, summed up in the phrase "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." If my wife Megan, who I believe to be an honest person based on past observations, merely told me that she had lunch with a friend and I had no particular reason to be suspect about that claim, then it would be reasonable to believe it. It is a very mundane, very weak claim. If instead Megan, who again I think is an honest person, said that she just got back from traveling to the planet Looptor in the Andromeda galaxy where she had lunch with some alien life forms, and she was completely serious (not joking) about this claim, then I would have stronger grounds for skepticism. It is such an unusual and extraordinary claim that runs against so much other knowledge we have obtained of how the universe works, that we would need something more than just Susan's say-so that it happened, to believe that it really did happen. The chances are higher that Megan is simply wrong about what happened to her, even if I thought she was sincere.

The thing is, he can't force you to believe. It's up to you. So just do it. Put down your logic and just except it. Some things, especially when it comes to God, are beyond our limited comprehension.

If another person told you those exact same things, except were referencing a different set of beliefs---say beliefs in Norse mythology, would you do exactly that and then convert to believing in the Norse god(s)? We need some way to determine what is most likely to be true or false. We have that tool, it is reason. The amount of trust or confidence we grant to some set of claims should be proportionate to the amount of evidence we have to do so. Proponents of those beliefs simply telling us to trust them, even when they have not given any valid reason to do so, does not pass the smell test, especially when they employ intimidation tactics (i.e. hell).

What if the parents actually wanted the child to drink bleach and eat Tide pods? That was their intention, to abuse their child. Would you consider those parents to be bad stewards of the child, and so the child would actually be better off not listening to their parents and disobeying them? So the child would be taken from the home and put into a foster home temporarily. What if God is an abuser? We would be better off ourselves, and acting more morally than God, if we did not simply obey whatever God tells us to do.

The reason I don't believe in hell (at least not for the garden variety non-believer) because then that would make God a tyrant, torturing people endlessly.

That is good that you are willing to acknowledge that. You are making a moral evaluation of God by doing so, keep in mind. You are implicitly acknowledging that there is some other standard of goodness or badness, independent of God, that God is in or out of accordance with. So when we say "God is good" it is because God is in general accordance to those independent rules. When we say "God is bad" it is because God is in general discordance with those same rules. The mere fact that God says something is good or bad does not in itself mean that it is good or bad though. What is good or bad is determined by something else besides God.

...I believe more along those lines than the hell scenerio. Basically, it says that everyone who dies will get the full story, and THEN, if they still don't believe and continue to tell Jesus to F-off, then they get the hell treatment.

Wouldn't that be cruel and unusual punishment still? The punishment is worse than the crime? Whenever someone says that they will not worship and obey me, I do not threaten them back with everlasting torture. I suspect you would not do the same either. You would probably frown on any person who did such things to anyone else. So why would you find it acceptable and even appropriate for a god to do so to anybody?

I remind you, that I would not be the one knocking on your door step and trying to force my beliefs on you,...

Knocking on the door and seeking to have a conversation does not amount to forcing your beliefs. However, if your beliefs also influence your views on other components of your general worldview, such as your ethical views, your political views, your scientific views, if you indoctrinate your children, etc. then that may very well amount to you forcing your beliefs on us or others, even if you are not trying to do so. It is important to recognize the ways that your religious views impact you in other ways too.

Keith&Co said:
This is absolutely nothing like being told by some stranger that another stranger wrote down some stuff this strange god told someone else about how i need to live my life. I find it difficult to trust the motives of someone i don't know to exist.

Forget HIS motives, I don't trust the motives of the guy telling me about him. That is the absolute stumbling block of religion: it is entirely predicated on the idea that you must trust the clergy. They try to conceal that with various tricks, but in the end, if you start questioning the motives of the people who are selling this stuff, it all comes tumbling down. There is nothing to religion except the testimony of clergy. They wrote the books they claim are unerring scripture. They teach the classes to the children, they set up the institutions, they are the ones who attribute everyday occurrances to the supernatural.

The clergy says that god values faith because trusting people are easier to exploit. Why do you think those Nigerian Prince email scams always target church goers?

Keith&Co said:

Forget HIS motives, I don't trust the motives of the guy telling me about him.
Yes, there is a GREAT DEAL of presupposition in 1eye's posting. And contradictions. And victim blaming.

He's trying to stage it as a high jump, just get over the bar and you're done.
It's more of a cross-country run with hurdles.

Key issue is the idea that all claims are equal... a claim is a claim and any evidence of any claim is proof of the claim being true.

My first claim: "I am posting these words on the internet"
My second claim: "I am an alien from a hidden moon of Jupiter, here to learn how to blend in with Humans."

Evidence of my first claim is that you are reading this from an internet website.
So, evidence of my (allegedly equal) second claim is the same. You read it. If reading it makes it true for the first claim, then it also must for the second claim. Right? (WRONG.)

Even though you will not succeed in reaching the landmark of being a perfect Christian, that is still the direction that you should be aiming for. That in itself should compel you to quit your job and spend every single ounce of time, energy, and other resources to trying to be as close to a perfect Christian as you possibly can. The Christian God is omnipotent and could take care of your material needs if it wanted to.

9 The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down from here. 10 For it is written: “ ‘He will command his angels concerning you to guard you carefully; 11 they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’ ” 12 Jesus answered, “It is said: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

It would not even have to be a matter of you "testing" God, not a matter of you grading God and deeming whether God passes or fails any tests you compose.

What I am saying is that God could take care of your material needs, so you would not have to. Would you agree with that statement by itself?

It says nothing about what God's reasons may be for withholding to satisfy your material needs, and it says nothing about what judgment you would make on God's reasons. It is merely a statement about the physical capabilities of an omnipotent being. It could satisfy your material needs, if it wanted to.

It would not even have to be a matter of you "testing" God, not a matter of you grading God and deeming whether God passes or fails any tests you compose.

What I am saying is that God could take care of your material needs, so you would not have to. Would you agree with that statement by itself?

It says nothing about what God's reasons may be for withholding to satisfy your material needs, and it says nothing about what judgment you would make on God's reasons. It is merely a statement about the physical capabilities of an omnipotent being. It could satisfy your material needs, if it wanted to.

Oh, just damned.... You really play hard ball. That looks like a challenge to see if 1I really believes what he says he does or, like so many, is just offering puffery. Does he really believe Jesus (Matthew 6:26-34)?

Last edited:
12 Jesus answered, “It is said: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”
Was that Jesus or Trump?

You know, I hear people are saying, you don't put the Lord your God to the test. Also, there was no collusion.

Back
Top Bottom