• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Warren on Gay Marriage

Gun Nut

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
None
When Elizabeth Warren was asked what she would say to a person who says they hold a cherished belief that marriage is something between one man and one woman, she replied that such a person would most likely be male, and so she would suggest they go ahead and "marry one woman, if he could find one".

I'm not a Warren supporter, but I support the sentiment that those with cherished beliefs should go right ahead and cherish them... because that should make them blissful.

When Elizabeth Warren was asked what she would say to a person who says they hold a cherished belief that marriage is something between one man and one woman, she replied that such a person would most likely be male, and so she would suggest they go ahead and "marry one woman, if he could find one".

I'm not a Warren supporter, but I support the sentiment that those with cherished beliefs should go right ahead and cherish them... because that should make them blissful.

Her delivery was terrific.

Her delivery was terrific.

Guffaw! What a nice little bitch slap from Elizabeth Warren. Knowing full well the far right evangelists will not vote for her anyway, she saw no need to pander to them. But her quick wit will be music to the ears of people just tired as hell of the religious right and will not be voting for Trump. Makes me more likely to be very comfortable voting for Warren.

Shrieks of outrage from the radical religious right starting in 4, 3, 2, 1....

Elizabeth Warren voted for Reagan during the AIDS crisis

It says a lot about our political situation that "someone said something obvious and reasonable" is headline material. But I'm glad she said it. It's certainly more than we've ever gotten from most presidential candidates in the past. Obama sure as hell never would have made a comment like that while he was still campaigning. It's not the candidates that have changed, but the entire national mood, which makes me feel much safer than if we had to depend solely on the Left remaining in power to keep us off the execution block.

FYI, she did NOT "reply that such a person would most likely be male". She said "I am going to assume this person is male", simply so she could give a personalized the response that made sense in the context of the hypothetical posed to her, "Well, then you should marry one woman."

That said, it is objectively true that such a person is more likely to be male, since support for gay marriage is higher among women.

A fact of no relevance to any rational evaluation of her current presidential candidacy, except that it shows she is a thoughtful rational person who over the course of 40 years learns from experience and new information, and therefore changes her views. In her case, the change in views was about economic theory, not anything to do with homosexuals. During law school, she was exposed to lots of conservative economics propaganda that was injected into most prestigious law schools as part of a well funded "Law and Economics" movement. She initially bought into the theories, but that changed when she participated in a study on bankruptcy filings that were rising in the early 80's. She changed in response to evidence that contradicted conservative theories about those in poverty and financial trouble.

FYI, she did NOT "reply that such a person would most likely be male". She said "I am going to assume this person is male", simply so she could give a personalized the response that made sense in the context of the hypothetical posed to her, "Well, then you should marry one woman."

That said, it is objectively true that such a person is more likely to be male, since support for gay marriage is higher among women.

Any chance you know any studies that estimate the magnitude of that difference?

EDIT found something from Pew:

https://www.people-press.org/2019/0...-charts/pp_2019-05-14_same-sex-marriage_a-03/

When Elizabeth Warren was asked what she would say to a person who says they hold a cherished belief that marriage is something between one man and one woman, she replied that such a person would most likely be male, and so she would suggest they go ahead and "marry one woman, if he could find one"....

FYI, she did NOT "reply that such a person would most likely be male". She said "I am going to assume this person is male", simply so she could give a personalized the response that made sense in the context of the hypothetical posed to her, "Well, then you should marry one woman." ....

Either way, coming from a liberal, it's a pathetically lukewarm response. #appeasement

Fundy: "Real MarriageTM is between a (real) man and a (real) woman.
Warren : "That's nice"

I wonder why she is giving women a pass. As if religious fundamentalism was the sole domain of men.

I wonder why she is giving women a pass. As if religious fundamentalism was the sole domain of men.

Men hold all power and authority in the fundamentalist social ideal. Women are "honored", and respected in their capacity for raising children, but they are not invited or encouraged to comment on matters of politics, jurisprudence, or scriptural interpretation. Know ye not that the man is the head of the woman just as Christ is the head of the church?

And?

It isn't as though there was any widespread thought of gay marriage during the AIDS crisis when most people assumed that AIDS was a 'gay' disease, if indeed, they could even bring themselves to mention the word 'gay.'

So, what year did Saint Bernie decide to support gay marriage?

I don't see a 'pass' here at all. After all, isn't the default person, when speaking of hypotheticals, always male?

And?

It isn't as though there was any widespread thought of gay marriage during the AIDS crisis when most people assumed that AIDS was a 'gay' disease, if indeed, they could even bring themselves to mention the word 'gay.'

So, what year did Saint Bernie decide to support gay marriage?

2009. Though he had been a passionate advocate against laws restricting marriage to straights since at least 1996.

Back
Top Bottom