• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

How's that for a hunk hunka? A prime rib roast for $5.99/lb.
I used to grab big chunks of meat and attack them with the crock pot. Toss in some other things along with a can of soup and come back at day's end to a feast. I've forgotten how as it's been so long, mainly because I don't go down the meat aisle as much anymore. I do occasionally but it's for ground meat because I still love a good burger.

How's that for a hunk hunka? A prime rib roast for $5.99/lb.
I used to grab big chunks of meat and attack them with the crock pot. Toss in some other things along with a can of soup and come back at day's end to a feast. I've forgotten how as it's been so long, mainly because I don't go down the meat aisle as much anymore. I do occasionally but it's for ground meat because I still love a good burger.
I will be using the crock pot and a meat thermometer. I'll turn the pot off when the meat reaches 125 deg F. I'll serve it when it gets between 130 and 135.

I'll sear the meat in a fry pan with some olive oil. Pour some beef broth and a cup red wine, usually pinot noir, some worcester sauce, and seasonings. The juices make a fantastic gravy.

I'm cooking my own original tonight. While I'm sure others have been making it for years I didn't get the idea from anyone.

Baked pork chops with tomato sauce and cheese on top with some veggies on top of that. Tonight I think each chop will have a broccoli flower and a green pepper slice.

Of course it needs a salad on the side.

I have achieved a new personnal peak in cuisine and food. This has trasfomed my life.

Grilled cheese with a hot dog, mustard, and onions.

Throw chopped onions in the pot with a hot dog and boil.

Cut the hot dog in half and split the halfs.

Cheese on the bread with hot dog on top. Add onions and cover with mustard.

Grill until the bread is crispy.

If I I still drank I'd add a cold beer.

Prime rib roast and potato skins. My wife requested the skins. I personally could take or leave potatoes.

dinner.jpg

Prime rib roast and potato skins. My wife requested the skins. I personally could take or leave potatoes.

View attachment 41490
For Christmas, I have been asked to bring the potatoes… so medium sized potatoes, quartered with a nin of butter, and wrapped in alfoil, ready for the oven or bbq. Add sour cream, bacon bits and chives when cooked!

Unfortunately someone woke up sick with a cold/flu type bug. So it's time for chicken soup made with bone broth. Bone stock is too hard to make and Swanson is the one brand that isn't loaded with lots of onion and garlic which we don't tolerate well. Carrots, celery, white beans and some chicken and bone broth, rice and noodles. Time for a trip to the store.

The last time I had Korean food was in Korea in 1995. Korean Bbq. Yummy.

We had a local Korean restaurant around the corner from us up until about 2016 or 2017. It killed me when they shut down. Luckily there are still a few authentic places in the city, just further from us.

Most Asian places here serve westernized Asian food, which means they strip out all the flavour and sell it to boring, white people.

Unfortunately someone woke up sick with a cold/flu type bug. So it's time for chicken soup made with bone broth. Bone stock is too hard to make and Swanson is the one brand that isn't loaded with lots of onion and garlic which we don't tolerate well. Carrots, celery, white beans and some chicken and bone broth, rice and noodles. Time for a trip to the store.
I use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Boil them first. Watch for the fat to rise. Pull them out and make the rest of the soup then cut them up and add them at the end after turning the heat off. Plenty of good chicken fat.
Hot chicken broth is the best.

Curry tonight, one sauce for the boys, another with more heat for my wife and I.

I mixed a jarred butter chicken sauce with a jarred tomato/spinach sauce, added garlic powder, paprika, cinnamon, basil, oregano, salt, pepper. The boys sauce got a few dashes of chili powder, while my wife and I got some pepper flakes, cayenne, and sriracha to taste. Our sauce had a small amount of bite.

Red onion, bell pepper, roma tomato in both, shrimp for me, beef for the others.

Both sauces turned out really well, and the boys were shoveling it in until baby rubbed the sauce in his eye and started screaming. First dish like this for him. My wife really enjoyed it too.

The above mix was inspired by a story I heard a while back about a chili contest, where someone combined a bit of every chili in the contest and that chili won. Usually complexity and more flavor is always better, as long as the flavors complement and none of them dominate.

That's one of the struggles for us, we spend too much on take out these days. So if we cook we have to keep things interesting for the kids.

I'm starting to get why a lot of parents can't get their kids to eat, no one knows how to cook anymore. I'm lucky I just spent the past two and a half years learning, it's paying dividends now.

That's one of the struggles for us, we spend too much on take out these days. So if we cook we have to keep things interesting for the kids.

I'm starting to get why a lot of parents can't get their kids to eat, no one knows how to cook anymore. I'm lucky I just spent the past two and a half years learning, it's paying dividends now.
Bulk cooking for the freezer works. And cliche as it sounds, I do some meal planning…

Warming up the dough machine. Will be doughing pizza dough for pizzas tonight.
Onion, Italian suasage, mushrooms, black olives.

Bulk cooking for the freezer works. And cliche as it sounds, I do some meal planning…

We did a lot of bulk cooking before we had kids, and still a little bit when there was just one. But with two we don't have the time to cook on weekends anymore, so our cooking is a little more on the fly. It's usually constant, minor bulk cooking. Make a lot of vegetables and rice on Monday night, which last a few days.. etc. Or cook an extra chicken breast which can be used at lunch the next day.

I do keep legumes on hand in the freezer most of the time, and we do frozen food more regularly now.

Back
Top Bottom