• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

I'm having beans and rice. It's one of my favorites. Sometimes the most simple dishes make delicious feasts, and I haven't had this for a while due to limitations in cooking. But I figured it out and now I'm ready to shovel it into my pie hole. I might have pancakes later to make the day perfect.
I have a Chorizo and Vegetable pasta sauce in the fridge that we were supposed to have last night. We are having it tonight, and I am chopping up left over roast pork and adding it to it as well, and serving it with Penne Pasta.

*drool* omg that sounds wonderful.
Chorizo pasta is amazing. I cube up a chorizo sausage, add mushrooms, tomatoes and onion and cook it down, add some red wine (cab sav works really well)! Season and herb to taste. Sometimes I add diced bacon or ham.

unfortunately for @bilby , I won’t add the roast pork, instead I will make his sandwiches out of it. :)

D86E5364-6E12-47B5-94AE-A5AEB05A0375.jpeg

Cauliflower and cheese. This works very well. I recommend cut up bacon for meat eaters or Morningstar bacon for vegatarians. Next time I make it, I’ll also want to bake parmesean cheese in the oven into a cracker, then crumble it into the mixture to provide more texture. Even when rich in cheese, this thing is low cal.

Did require some cooling after baking to rethicken.

View attachment 38023

Cauliflower and cheese. This works very well. I recommend cut up bacon for meat eaters or Morningstar bacon for vegatarians. Next time I make it, I’ll also want to bake parmesean cheese in the oven into a cracker, then crumble it into the mixture to provide more texture. Even when rich in cheese, this thing is low cal.

I love cauliflower, but someone, who shall remain nameless, does not. Nor does he like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, or other cool veg.

So I have taken to doing to lots of veg.

on a Sunday, I make my veg medley of cauliflower, broccoli etc, with zucchini, yellow squash, to, tomato and mushrooms, drizzle with a little oil and bake in the oven. I then portion them out into containers and stack in fridge, I can usually get 5 -7 portions, so 5 for lunches, and 2 spare For dinners.

for Bilby, I generally do potatoes and carrots, maybe with less and corn. I like these too, but as I am trying to lose weight, the medley version is so much less calorific.

hmm, maybe I can do the potato etc mixture on a Sunday as well, and do the same as I do!

View attachment 38023

I love cauliflower, but someone, who shall remain nameless, does not. Nor does he like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, or other cool veg.

on a Sunday, I make my veg medley of cauliflower, broccoli etc, with zucchini, yellow squash, to, tomato and mushrooms, drizzle with a little oil and bake in the oven. I then portion them out into containers and stack in fridge, I can usually get 5 -7 portions, so 5 for lunches, and 2 spare For dinners.

for Bilby, I generally do potatoes and carrots, maybe with less and corn. I like these too, but as I am trying to lose weight, the medley version is so much less calorific.

hmm, maybe I can do the potato etc mixture on a Sunday as well, and do the same as I do!
I’d recommend trying this. The cauliflower isn’t pasta but when boiled then cooked in the cheese it pretty good. Again, not pasta, but much better than vegetarian ‘acceptable’.

View attachment 38023

Recipe, please.

View attachment 38023

I’d recommend trying this. The cauliflower isn’t pasta but when boiled then cooked in the cheese it pretty good. Again, not pasta, but much better than vegetarian ‘acceptable’.
It looks like a tree so no go. But I will eat it. :)

1 head of cauliflower, chopped into 1/2" bits

Cook that in boiling water 10 minutes. Dump... in colander (strainer... that plastic bowl thing with the slots or holes that you keep using as a mixing bowl and the wife gets pissed off about the mess you are making). Set aside... don't put it in the way of what you are doing.

In a sauce pan:

one tbsp butter
half tbsp oil (good luck finding one of those :D. I think all of my recipes from now on will be impossible measurements, like one heaping tbsp of vanilla)

Melt butter... oil already liquid.

Add three tbsp of flour. Mix.

Then add two cups of milk. Make sure to mix it properly while heating the roux (that is fancy French cooking talk for "milk with a little flour"... fucking French). I kept it covered. This bad boy thickens nicely. Once thick and you can coat a spoon with it... pull off burner. Add about 8 ounces of cheese, one quarter at a time. Whisk until melted. I recommend a sharp cheddar or a smokey gouda or a creamy nutty gouda. I tried adding Havarti, but didn't think it helped. I usually don't add so much flour, and I didn't need the fat to cream it up more. Best if you finely shred the cheese for melting quickness. The recipe calls for seasoning with salt and pepper, but only assholes do that. But see if you are getting the right flavor with the cheese mixture before continuing.

Put cauliflower in 13x9 dish. Then put cheese mixture on top of that, mix it around. Bake at 400 degrees (F style) for 10 minutes. Then if you want a crispier top, set it to broil for 2 to 4 minutes... I have an old oven (doesn't stop talking about the war and how things were so much better back when *roll eyes*), so if yours isn't as old, might just need 2 minutes. KEEP AN EYE ON IT!!!

Definitely needs bacon. The problem with the recipe as found was that it is very one dimensional and needs some added zip, though a smokey or creamy gouda would help there (I just used Havarti and Extra Sharp White Cheddar). Bacon (real would be better), maybe pepper flakes if you like heat, the flesh of Bobby Flay, personally I'm going to try home made parmesan crackers.

Important part, the oven is going to melt that cheese, so it needs to be served in a bowl and allowed to cool a bit, so the cheese thickens!

Now that I think of it, might want to reduce the flour a little. The flour was coming through. Don't want to taste flour!

On a mushroom soup kick lately.

White button mushrooms. 4 or 5 chopped up. 3 or 4 green onions chopped up. Put in microwavable mug, add a splash of olive oil and mix well. Microwave 3 minutes.

Add 1 can mushroom soup, fresh milk, stir well. Add a touch of curry powder. Microwave 3 minutes at 7 setting.

Goes well with garlic bread.

Veg prep for the week!

Frozen Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli, together with fresh zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and tomato! Drizzle with a little flavoured oil. Baked in the oven on 180C for about 45 minutes.

This is just for me! I hope it makes about 10 serves. Lunches and dinners. :)

8A46321C-E5D7-48CF-BD15-EA3E21DCD7A8.jpeg

That looks great gmb!

Tonight I made

Lentils in this delicious spiced oil, with lemon roasted broccoli. I used paneer cheese instead of feta.

Really good!

On a mushroom soup kick lately.

White button mushrooms.
... hard stop. White button? Sounds pedestrian. Unless a mushroom has more than three syllables in its name, shouldn't be included in a recipe. ;)

That is why I would recommend oyster mushrooms.

... two syllables in its name.

Tonight cold coked vegetables from the fridge with steamed chicken and tomatoes.

I keep small pieces of chicken bagged in the freezer. To thaw it out I put the the bag in a pan of hot water with the faucet dribbling hot water. Takes about 10 minutes.

I like steamed salmon. I keep canned salmon on hand for emergency food and to have with salads and with rice for an easy meal.

Tonight we are having:

pork mince mixed with caramelised onions, formed into cylinderical form, baked in the oven, served with thinly sliced potatoes, onion, mushrooms and bacon, topped with cheese and baked in the oven……

aka - bangers and potato bake.

Back
Top Bottom