• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

I grew up in the North East with O'Brien potatoes, don't see it much out here.
I've never been a big fan of potatoes. Never cared for french fries unlike most people. Most restaurants have fries for the sides of their entrees. I always tell them to keep them or they'll just go to waste. I much more prefer a salad or a veggie like brocolli (common around here) for the side.

My dinner tonight was a bowl of boiled carrots with a little butter, salt and pepper.

Taking my first stab at chicken bone broth which will ultimately bloom into escarole and white bean soup. The seared, skinless chicken thighs are in the slow cooker. I plan to strip off the meat in six hours, add celery and carrots and let cook for another ten hours. Then I can use the strained broth to which I will add escarole and white beans and enjoy with crusty bread.

I learned a long time ago that my gut doesn't like certain things like garlic, onion, turmeric, nightshade, etc. My misfortune certainly but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy traditional dishes, only that I have to scratch things together. What else is retirement for?

I made grilled beef burritos and Mexican rice for dinner. The wife loved it so, mission accomplished.

Brunch rice, lentils, and canned salmon. Lentils and rice go togeter withour seasoning..

Dinner. potatoes mashed with milk mixed with canned peas and corn. Seasoned with garlic powder, curry powder, and black pepper bA kind of succotash.

Leftovers make for potato pancakes and eggs in the morning.

Succotash has a long history. The dish was introduced as a stew to North American colonists in the 17th century by indigenous peoples. Composed of ingredients unknown in Europe at the time, it gradually became a standard meal in the cuisine of New England[7][8] and is a traditional dish of many Thanksgiving celebrations in the region,[9] as well as in Pennsylvania and other states.

Because of the relatively inexpensive and more readily available ingredients, the dish was popular during the Great Depression in the United States.[citation needed] It was sometimes cooked in a casserole form, often with a light pie crust on top as in a traditional pot pie.[citation

Add ground beef and you get a Shepard's Pie. Both are old recipes in the USA, and it is the knd of stuff I grew up with. Along with the more modern Tuna Casserole.

Making grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches on my clothes iron.

Weep with envy, infidels!

iron_gr_ch_tomato.jpg iron_gr_ch_tomato_2.jpg

Edit: So good I'm making a second one.

iron_gr_ch_tomato_3.jpg

Last edited:
Making grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches on my clothes iron.

Weep with envy, infidels!

View attachment 37388 View attachment 37389

Edit: So good I'm making a second one.

View attachment 37390
Add onions and peppers.
I don't think the texture of onions and peppers would had desirability to a G C&T sandwich, unless they were sauteed in butter before hand.

I have sauteed onions and put them in a grilled cheese sandwich! It was crazy messy but so tasty.

I made a pot of the red pepper soup that everyone seems to love yesterday. So good and so easy to make. I prefer red peppers over green. Green peppers seem to overwhelm anything you put it in with their strong flavor.

My pizza sandwich is grilled cheese, tomato souse. onion, peppers. and pepperoni.

roasted some zucchini, yellow squash (small cone shaped yellow zucchini like things not pumpkin) capsicum and cherry tomatoes until the zucchini and tomatoes fell apart. Mushed it together a bit and presto - thick vegetable soup!

1646020412418.png

Too bad there isn't an aroma forum option.

Easy tomato vegetable soup.

Boil vegetables then chop with a knife. Mix a can of crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce, and add vegetables. I add a little vinegar to thin it out and for taste.

Puree the vegetables and thin out the tomato mix and you get something like V8 vegetable juice.

Home made moussaka

711O1g1.jpg

I made pot roast in the instant pot. Found instruction on how to make if from frozen. Came out surprisingly good.

Still enjoying blueberry pies but decided to make one pie worth (five cups berries) of pie filling only on the stove top. Berries, lime juice, flour, 1T butter and half the sugar. Was easy and came out delicious, and without the unhealthy pastry calories which is important for old people like me. Just spoon out and enjoy.

I made cubed steaks with mushrooms, onions and brown gravy leftover from the pot roast I made last week. Eight minutes at 400 degrees in the air fryer and they came out perfect.

Back
Top Bottom