• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is god?

To me, pantheism has always seemed little more than turning the statement "I don't know" into some kind of deep philosophical musing instead of just meaning that they don't know something.

To me, pantheism has always seemed little more than turning the statement "I don't know" into some kind of deep philosophical musing instead of just meaning that they don't know something.

God can be seen functionally. In sociology, (forget who first said it) God can be seen as the name we give to our hopes and dreams. And we all have hopes and dreams. If we define it that way then nobody is an atheist. Or everybody, depending on how you twist it around.

That's true; but ignorance can be profound.

The musing part is the key.

God can be seen functionally. In sociology, (forget who first said it) God can be seen as the name we give to our hopes and dreams. And we all have hopes and dreams. If we define it that way then nobody is an atheist. Or everybody, depending on how you twist it around.
Bottom line - god is

whatever you want it to be

and this thread has demonstrated the above quite convincingly.

So now that we have an evidence based definition of "god," what's next? I say we give this god a name and call it

whateveryouwantittobe

For proof I google translated that name into every other human language and it is the same.

Bottom line - god is

whatever you want it to be

and this thread has demonstrated the above quite convincingly.

So now that we have an evidence based definition of "god," what's next? I say we give this god a name and call it

whateveryouwantittobe

For proof I google translated that name into every other human language and it is the same.

The critical bit is that all gods are invented. Which, as an atheist, is what I believe. And that would be true regardless of what name you use.

God is an interrupted defense mechanism.

A defense mechanism is to run away from the predator.

Stopping to pray to gods for protection from the predator interrupts the defenses.

Running AND praying adds no discernable benefit to the defense mechanism. But it also adds no discernable costs. Successful evasion can be attributed to either prayer or running. Unsuccessful evasion can be attributed to faith failure by survivors (who used successful evasion techniques).

It was probably generated either out of a hope to gain control over uncontrollable conditions, or out of an inability to remove bias from analysis of the component parts of successful evastion techniques.
I'd say God is the proof that evolution not longer works on humans.

Or that it now works in mysterious ways.

Or that our time just happen to be the seventh day of evolution.

Or that evolution decided that the species who could believe in God will get to live in a paradise of sort.
EB

God is an interrupted defense mechanism.

A defense mechanism is to run away from the predator.

Stopping to pray to gods for protection from the predator interrupts the defenses.

Running AND praying adds no discernable benefit to the defense mechanism. But it also adds no discernable costs. Successful evasion can be attributed to either prayer or running. Unsuccessful evasion can be attributed to faith failure by survivors (who used successful evasion techniques).

It was probably generated either out of a hope to gain control over uncontrollable conditions, or out of an inability to remove bias from analysis of the component parts of successful evastion techniques.
evolution "works" just fine. Lactose intolerance is an example of evolution still "working". What no longer "works" on us so well is the all important aspect of evolution called "environmental pressure". We have developed the ability to nearly ignore the environment. When it gets cold, we don't die out, we put on coats. When it floods, we build aqueducts... mother nature has lost most of her teeth with us.
it is quite easy to find information to fill your gaps of knowledge around biological evolution. you need to willfully ignore / dismiss it.
evolution has been operating since the first life forms we know about, billions of years ago. what is this 7 day shit?
Or that evolution decided that the species who could believe in God will get to live in a paradise of sort.
EB

evolution created a space for humans to develop into that involved a strong ability to recognize patterns. Humans exploited that skill to great success in the food chain. Downside - we see patterns in everything, even when none exists. Thus, superstition, the boogie man, magic, and religion to pretend to control the make-believe.

Yep, in the information age, ignorance is a choice.

It's sad that so many people deliberately choose ignorance, but it is not surprising that so many who actively refuse to learn are Christian or Muslim.

evolution "works" just fine. Lactose intolerance is an example of evolution still "working". What no longer "works" on us so well is the all important aspect of evolution called "environmental pressure". We have developed the ability to nearly ignore the environment. When it gets cold, we don't die out, we put on coats. When it floods, we build aqueducts... mother nature has lost most of her teeth with us.

it is quite easy to find information to fill your gaps of knowledge around biological evolution. you need to willfully ignore / dismiss it.

evolution has been operating since the first life forms we know about, billions of years ago. what is this 7 day shit?
I was quite obviously having fun.

Sorry you saw the wrong pattern in there.

EB

evolution created a space for humans to develop into that involved a strong ability to recognize patterns. Humans exploited that skill to great success in the food chain. Downside - we see patterns in everything, even when none exists. Thus, superstition, the boogie man, magic, and religion to pretend to control the make-believe.
Yeah, like I said.
EB

Yep, in the information age, ignorance is a choice.

It's sad that so many people deliberately choose ignorance, but it is not surprising that so many who actively refuse to learn are Christian or Muslim.
I don't think people choose to be "ignorant." Brains are as different as eye color and height, which explains the diversity in what people are attracted to. It's really just all been selected for and continues to be. Every human is a different recipe.

Back
Top Bottom