• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is god?

Start with first word and dictionary. Same-ole-lame-ole.

Sad lack of moral and intellectual integrity. imho

r6

"U"niverse = "G"od{ es }

Universe = God{ ess } = finite set of Multiverses in sum-total whole

univers{s} = some amount of multiverses

I-verse = r6

r6
I believe I understand your posts partially.

I have a few questions to clarify if I am off the mark.

Why is any part of your equation finite? Does this imply our limited conceptual understanding of Universe/Goddess?

Secondly, can you expand on the meaning of r6?
Does I-verse = r6 represent your individual consciousness as a multi-verse on its own or am I reading this wrong?

Start with first word and dictionary. Same-ole-lame-ole.

Sad lack of moral and intellectual integrity. imho

r6

I believe I understand your posts partially.

I have a few questions to clarify if I am off the mark.

Why is any part of your equation finite? Does this imply our limited conceptual understanding of Universe/Goddess?

Secondly, can you expand on the meaning of r6?
Does I-verse = r6 represent your individual consciousness as a multi-verse on its own or am I reading this wrong?
or not...

God...."It's the ride man!"

Or in other words..the event of which we are a part.

God is Russell's teapot.

"God" is the anthropomorphism of the laws and forces of nature...

Sometimes. Any mythical character can become a god. The important detail is that it must be beyond direct observation. It's always one orbit yonder. It's relatively close in primitive societies, and constantly removed farther and farther as people get smarter and better at observing.

God did not create man; man created gods.

What people call "God" is the anthropomorphism of the laws and forces of nature. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

Yes, and yet another way of thinking about God is as a point of view. An external point of view. A point of view of an agent.

The agents with which we are most familiar are animals and humans. Gods have been given animal characteristics often alongside human ones (partial anthropomorphism). And virtually all have greater-than-human knowledge, intelligence and power. Virtually all do magic. Real magic. Speech is enough to accomplish real physical magic. Words have power. Invoking the name of a deity has power and is effective.

Not all are anthropomorphisms, though certainly most are. It makes sense for humans to create human-like gods -- human-plus -- human-superb gods.

Did you watch the video which answers your question "What do you mean by external point of view?" it all?

It says that people imagine an external point of view and call it God.

How are your videos germane?

Did you watch the video which answers your question "What do you mean by external point of view?" it all?

It says that people imagine an external point of view and call it God.

How are your videos germane?

"God" is certainly imaginary...

quote-no-i-don-t-believe-in-the-anthropomorphic-god-ray-bradbury-212875.jpg

What do you mean by an external point of view?

Watch [YOUTUBE]1iMmvu9eMrg[/YOUTUBE]

Basically, Dr. Thomson shows how both Big Macs and Religion hijack inborn neural mechanisms (as demonstrated by the NIH). It is the best scientific explanation I have discovered to date as to why believers believe in gods. In short, it answers the topic question.

"Children spontaneously invent the concept of god without adult intervention. Religion [is the] path of least resistance. Disbelief requires effort". @18:35

I watched this for the umpteenth time and wondered what would light up in the neurology when political views were discussed instead of religious views in the "Neurological Evidence" portion @27:00 through 30:00. I have a strong suspicion it is the same.

Last edited:
I'd go with C. I think Plato's philosophy played heavily in the formation of the Abrahamic God.

I'd go with C. I think Plato's philosophy played heavily in the formation of the Abrahamic God.

How so? I think the Abrahamic God formation was pretty far along by the time of Plato wasn't it? Isaiah predates Plato by 4-500 years, in fact I believe all of the Old Testament prophets predate Plato.

How so? I think the Abrahamic God formation was pretty far along by the time of Plato wasn't it? Isaiah predates Plato by 4-500 years, in fact I believe all of the Old Testament prophets predate Plato.
Yes.

The idea, I think, was rather that it was the New Testament that was influenced by Greek philosophy, and the first Church in Rome too.

It is also obvious, although not often said, that the New Testament was informed by something else altogether than the Old Testament. You only have to look at how Jesus is portrayed.
EB

Back
Top Bottom