• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is god?

I'd go with C. I think Plato's philosophy played heavily in the formation of the Abrahamic God.

How so? I think the Abrahamic God formation was pretty far along by the time of Plato wasn't it? Isaiah predates Plato by 4-500 years, in fact I believe all of the Old Testament prophets predate Plato.

The Old Testament/Torah can't be older than 6th century BCE because that is when Jews learned how to read and write, but does that necessarily mean that the stories are that old?

How so? I think the Abrahamic God formation was pretty far along by the time of Plato wasn't it? Isaiah predates Plato by 4-500 years, in fact I believe all of the Old Testament prophets predate Plato.

The Old Testament/Torah can't be older than 6th century BCE because that is when Jews learned how to read and write, but does that necessarily mean that the stories are that old?
how do you come up with that-^?

The first five books probably written then, in their final form, but that still predates Plato by several hundred years. I would agree that there is Hellenistic influence in Torah, but the stories and many of the events depicted in the Pentateuch come from a strong oral tradition from much earlier dates. Much of Genesis comes from Babylonian mythology dating back as far as 2500 BCE, with surviving writings (i.e. Gilgamesh and Enuma Elish) of the same dating before 1200 BCE. Also I believe Hebrew inscriptions have been found on pottery dating back to 1000 BCE and possibly earlier. However the oral traditions of these ancient peoples should be stressed as this was the predominant method of communication; stories and mythologies were passed on for centuries through oral tradition.

Ehe? Yes, they can. The Torah is a oral narrative written down. Oral stories can be 300 000 years old... older than humanity itself. Since religions evolve, I'd say chances are pretty good that the Torah has elements way way way old. Stuff we haven't the foggiest clue where they come from, and couldn't possibly date.

Most of the Torah is basically warped versions of Mesopotamian templates. We know this because we've found the Mesopotamian "originals". But did the Mesopotamians invent them? Who the fuck knows? Studies of gypsy oral traditions in the Balkans suggest that oral traditions can be kept, pretty much, intact for centuries. So probably way older than Mesopotamia. Way older than writing. Way older than farming. But we'll never know how old. Maybe nobody invented anything. Maybe it's all just Chinese whispers?

What is god?

Is god an old white man with a long white beard in a long white robe sitting on a throne with a dove on his shoulder who is making a list and checking it twice?

Is god the ground of being, whatever that is?

Is god simply that which we don't know?

Is god a fiction we use as a vessel to contain our highest ideals?

When deciding if there is a god, should we define what god is?

God is Love.

What is Love?

Not for everybody, that much should be obvious. :)
EB

Given the fact that theologians and religions (and even within religions) they can't agree, going around justifying faith to yourself should be (and is, we can attest every single day) a full time job.

It's only if you have been indoctrinated from a very young age, that pulling out of belief in "Allah" or "Jesus the brother of Lucifer", or whatever, is hard as chewing gravel, in spite of the fact that believing 100% is not a piece of cake either. Faith is sailing in a storm whichever way you go, and whatver religion it may refer to.

I prefer being completely honest to myself about not knowing (but knowing the case for any particular deity is risible) than to ever attempt to justify believing in the unbelievable of any stripe, ever again. But that's just me.

What is god?
I dunno.
I'm still trying to figure out why God needs a spaceship.

28064945.jpg

https://whynogod.wordpress.com/

This page presents concise rebuttals to the most common arguments and claims made by theists. It also includes relevant links to additional resources. A small number of points deal specifically with Christianity, however the vast majority are applicable to all forms of theism. Links marked with (must watch) or (must read) are considered particularly good at expanding on a topic.

God is a pervert."He is watching you all the time".Religion is so juvenile.

God is a pervert."He is watching you all the time".Religion is so juvenile.
Not only is god watching all the time, he is especially obsessed in our naughty bits and what we do with them... fucking pervert.

The only naughty bit I have is my brain - and Gods do indeed seem to be particularly obsessed with ensuring we don't use our brains, at least when it comes to the assessment of religious claims.

What's the ugliest part of your body?
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose, some say your toes,
But I think it's your mind, your mind!

- Frank Zappa

Back
Top Bottom