• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What jazz are you listening to right now?

I was listening to my Oscar Peterson vinyl yesterday, and ended up having a look at his discography on Allmusic. I sorted by rating and discovered that the following is his most prized live recording:

I had a listen on Spotify and enjoyed it, but with Peterson it's all good to me. Rapid fire piano with swing.

I was listening to my Oscar Peterson vinyl yesterday, and ended up having a look at his discography on Allmusic. I sorted by rating and discovered that the following is his most prized live recording:

I had a listen on Spotify and enjoyed it, but with Peterson it's all good to me. Rapid fire piano with swing.

Here's some Oscar Peterson I've always enjoyed (with Stephanne Grapelli and Joe Pass):

I'm a Dave Brubeck fan.

[YOUTUBE]vmDDOFXSgAs[/YOUTUBE]

I know that makes True Jazz Enthusiasts™ throw their drinks at me, but there it is.
Really? Maybe its just because of where I live, but he seems to be pretty well respected by the jazz fans I know. Is this just one of those "commercially successful = sold out" kind of things?

I'm a Dave Brubeck fan.

[YOUTUBE]vmDDOFXSgAs[/YOUTUBE]

I know that makes True Jazz Enthusiasts™ throw their drinks at me, but there it is.
Really? Maybe its just because of where I live, but he seems to be pretty well respected by the jazz fans I know. Is this just one of those "commercially successful = sold out" kind of things?
He's in my collection.

I bought myself a 60 dollar ticket to this show in my basement tonight. Live Oscar Peterson from near the end of his career.

I also picked up this one and listened this afternoon. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'm not sure if this Youtube is the exact disc, as apparently they did a few together.

I bought myself a 60 dollar ticket to this show in my basement tonight. Live Oscar Peterson from near the end of his career.

I also picked up this one and listened this afternoon. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'm not sure if this Youtube is the exact disc, as apparently they did a few together.

Very interesting. I have a fair collection of Count Basie. I think of him as primarily a classic swing band but mixed in with elements of Kansas City boogie woogie, so these duets with Peterson surprise me. I’ll have to expand my collection!

Swing (The World Is Mad):

Boogie:

Very interesting. I have a fair collection of Count Basie. I think of him as primarily a classic swing band but mixed in with elements of Kansas City boogie woogie, so these duets with Peterson surprise me. I’ll have to expand my collection!

That's the beauty of having read Ted Gioia's History of Jazz. I knew I'd heard Basie before but couldn't recall what he was like. I did know he was a bigger name, though, and that it was likely a nice record.

With two pianos I imagine they were forced to temper their respective styles a bit.

I re-organized my vinyl yesterday, pulling out any records I wasn't that interested in from my record case. With a little space to breathe in there I re-discovered this title from Stan Getz. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Getz was talented but it's a little too smooth for me. Maybe it'd hit better if I was sitting in a cafe on some island.

These days I'm wanting my jazz records to wake me up.

When Miles Davis saw the money being made at large rock conceits he morphed his music several times as a commercial success. Bitches' Brew. In the day called jazz rock fusion.

When Miles Davis saw the money being made at large rock conceits he morphed his music several times as a commercial success. Bitches' Brew. In the day called jazz rock fusion.

It's hardly Arena Rock.

I don't have the energy to track down videos of all the records I've bought lately, but here's a rundown:
  • Oscar Peterson and Ella Fitzgerald
  • Oscar Peterson and Herb Ellis
  • Oscar Peterson and Milt Jackson
  • Oscar Peterson and Roy Eldridge
  • Oscar Peterson Trio at the Concertgebouw
  • Stanley Cowell - Illusion Suite
  • Cannonball Adderley - Jubilation - a compilation of his early recordings
I've been getting a little more into Adderley lately after realizing he's more of a bop than cool player. His album 'Somethin' Else', while popular, isn't really indicative of how he usually plays. That pretty much painted what I thought of him until recently.

I saw Cowell (an underrated pianist) at The Village Vanguard in 2015, so was thrilled to come across one of his records. Rare stuff.

So you've got me listening to Stanley Cowell now. I didn't know his music. Very interesting!

A few stories about the show of his I saw.

On the day we were seeing him I ran into him in the Chelsea market near Greenwich Village. I introduced myself but was so starstruck (and caffeinated) I didn't know what to say, and let him 'get on with this day'.

During part of the show that night he was playing the interior of the piano, and Lorraine Gordon, the wife of the original owner of the club, in her nineties and with dementia, could be heard at the back of the club complaining that 'that asshole is going to break the piano'.

We only saw the first set as we were getting up early to try to get tickets to the late show the next day, but Cowell closed the first set with a song where he played finger piano called 'Let's Do This'. It was one of the more memorable moments I've experienced in live music. A few times during the song he let out a kind of scowling.. 'Let's do this thang'.
A couple years later he recorded the song on an album:

He was a widely respected and influential pianist, and played with some notable names, but made his living teaching music at Rutgers University in New Jersey.

Heard part of this on out jazz station today. KUOW Seattle is online for streaming.

Cannonball Adderly live

Ahmad Jamal is dead at 92 years old. He was still releasing albums until recently.

Back
Top Bottom