• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Live Event Did You See (Rate it)?

Pretty Women - This musical answers the question of, was there a need for a musical version of the popular film from 1990. The answer is an emphatic NO!!! The movie provides us with a cute Horatio Algers tale. The musical, needing to pad out time, has to take a somewhat more philosophical route regarding the male lead... which in the end is just about a rich guy who likes a... well... pretty woman... because she is a nice pretty woman. Worse yet, they devote a song that is dedicated to vanity and how the female lead is important exclusively because she is "pretty".

The movie works because it is all on the surface. Male lead grows a little, female lead gets into a more formal relationship with a very wealthy guy.

The musical doesn't work because the movie was all on the surface. Songs about the male lead wanting to change (from what?... didn't get into that) and the poor woman not wanting to go back to being poor (umm... need a better motivation here than just not wanting to be poor) really don't provide much emotional motivation into the characters.

The Happy Man and Butler characters are the glue that keeps this from being a snooze fest. Cast is great (though I'd say the movie worked with Alexander's role better than the musical, he is barely a heel in this), but the music is pedestrian and again, the songs are padded. The opera scene was great. The female vocalist was absurd. The male vocalist was great as well, to the point I was suspicious it was recorded. The female lead was moving though and her voice tracked. The humor was mixed from cliche to good. I kept making notes how it could have been funnier, wasn't trying to, but it needed work. For instance, the opera scene should have been done differently. They should have gotten up to the booth and the show starts and she sighs and says
"Cats?"
"I thought people liked Cats."
"Nobody likes Cats."
And then have a bunch of people with caricature cat heads dancing around. The thing is on National Tour, and I'm feeling it should still be off Broadway.

2 of 4

My Fair Lady - This was part of the 2020 Playhouse season, and well... you know how the rest of that year went. Well, this show wasn't cancelled, just delayed, so I just got to see it. I preferred Pygmallion over My Fair Lady. I really hate how Harrison got the Oscar over Sellers in Dr. Strangelove. Watching the show live, I actually started appreciating Harrison's portrayal more. Don't misunderstand me, the guy on the stage was awesome. But there is a physicality of Harrison's portrayal that carried a bit more weight. The stage show the guy acted and sounded like he cared not an inch for Eliza. But every inch of Harrison's Doolittle portrayed the feeling.

This had the updated, we ain't in the 50's no more, ending. So much better than the typical 50's / 60's movie ending between two people that have no reason to be together (My Fair Lady, Book and Candle), forcing it.

I was looking forward to this one, and it really didn't disappoint. The Ascot scene was brilliant. The revolving stage brilliantly designed. Really liked the show. I was taken back a bit by the 'ohhhh' in the crowd during the show as if this were new to people.

3.5 of 4

As a post script, I was trying to find online whether the Poor Mr. Higgins (or whatever the song is called) was supposed to be ironic or sincere by the writers. And I quickly came across a reddit with a person asking why Prof. Doolittle was considered a bad guy. :oops: I mean, no, he isn't Thanos. He doesn't intend to harm anyone. And he is far too narcissistic to be a misogynist, but umm... his self-interest and narcissism are off the bloody chart! Bad guy? Depends, heel, umm yeah!

Roxy Music will be touring later this year. Need to buy tickets for the Washington, DC and NYC shows.
Nick Mason will also be touring at about the same time (Saucerful of Secrets). I will also be going to a couple of those, if at all possible. If you like Pink Floyd's early material you will love this show.

The Temptations - The story is somewhat cliche... music careers seem to follow similar paths. The talent on stage was mind blowing. Usually the talent is great. These performers were simply increidble. I'm not a fan of The Temptations (well before my time), I like my snooty prog rock (ain't never going to be a Yes musical... I suppose Genesis is possible, but highly unlikely), so most of the music was foreign to me. But from the audience, they seemed to really enjoy the show, a sort of tribute concert of sorts.

And the audience... oh my goodness was it old. Usually shows have a cross-section of people. This was almost nothing but people in their 70s and older.

The final show this season is Frozen... which I'll be letting the MIL go in my place. Had no problem letting that ticket go.

3.5 of 4

I saw the Temptations and the Four Tops live many many years ago. Amazing talents.

Beetlejuice - I had reservations on this one. The good news, it was not terrible. The production, as usual, was top notch. The performers really good. Obviously, the Beetlejuice role was going to be a hard target to hit. I think Keaton's performance of the role might be a tad bit under-rated. I think there was a bit of hit and miss on some of the bits... maybe a bit too much swearing for swearing sakes. I thought they missed an opportunity for a short musical bit on the upcoming swearing. I also thought the way the main characters die in the beginning could have been swerved for better effect, kind of like what they did with the opening of the second act. The role of the Lidia's father could have been better due to where they actually go with him, as it wasn't organic. The life coach, her outcome didn't work for me with how they progressed with the other characters.

Criticality aside, some genuine laughter in this show. Did Beetlejuice have to be done? No, but they did it well enough to make it worth it.

3 of 4

Jimi at Winterland, Cream at the Avalon, Steely Dan at the Avalon, Pink Floyd at the old Fillmore … Dead in the panhandle or park 10x or more… CCR in the little bar in North Beach … just a few that made an early impression on me.

Hadestown - This musical won 8 or so Tony Awards, so it is a heavy hitter. Was it as good as the awards indicate? For me, yes and no. The music and lyrics, very much yes! The music was done live by 6 or 7 musicians and accompanied by the cast at times. It was fresh. Musicals have a tendency of sounding alike after a while, they usually can be found to have a broadway tinge to it. But this music was well written, but also sounded great, small but full. Vocally, we had the understudy in the main role. And his voice was unique and higher than average, but with pretty good range. Persephone also was a tad unique in the range of her vocals. Everyone else was great, but those two were the unique standouts.

The story... Act I, what story?! It was effectively exposition and then NOTHING happens. At least, that is how it comes across. There is no ability to gauge time, and it is confusing as heck as to what is going on between the two leads. Then the second of only two real events occurs and we are at intermission. Oi! Act II actually had stuff happen, good. But Hadestown... I'm lost as in to the purpose of Hadestown. They are doing things to keep themselves free... free from what? Aren't they all dead? The return from Hadestown was presented brilliantly with the lighting and stage rotation.

The first thing that comes to mind with Hadestown, plot wise is Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It is a concept that works on a smaller scale, there just isn't enough to fill the gaps to make it intriguing plot wise. Source wise, I provide the creators plenty of leeway on the original source material. They are free to modify that as necessary (after all, trying to make a 90+ minute musical!). But ultimately, it is confusing as to what Hadestown is supposed to be, who is in it, Act I sounded great, but had almost no plot moving in it. And that scars the experience. What saves this is the wonderful orchestration of a small group of great musicians and sublimely talented and unique vocalists.

Plot 1.5 of 4 / Everything else 3.5 of 4

Moulin Rouge - It has apparently been updated from what it was. So I don't know what it was, but this show's plot was so bare thin and lazy it took away from the incredible lighting effects, that made the show look wonderful. The next strike again was the music. They lifted a lot of music... which a lot of people found funny, but it was continuous and repeated and started going from referencing to lifting and stealing and just cut and pasting. In Something Rotten there is one song where they reference most musicals ever made, but it was contained there, and the show was its own, and brilliant. Moulin Rouge, it was tiring and boring.

As per the norm, the talent was great, the music was performed well, and the set was good, and lighting effects really mind blowing, but it felt like a hollow chocolate bunny.

2 of 4

Jimi at Winterland, Cream at the Avalon, Steely Dan at the Avalon, Pink Floyd at the old Fillmore … Dead in the panhandle or park 10x or more… CCR in the little bar in North Beach … just a few that made an early impression on me.
Any Big Brother or Janis solo?

I played pool with Janis several times, was present at the recording of the BB&tHC album and caught up with Sam Andrew in San Anselmo, playing a small room with some friends years later. I’m grateful for that as he died shortly thereafter. BB was a stalwart in the 60s, almost always playing somewhere around the Bay Area every month. I had a lot more contact with the Jeffplane crew, Santana and others.

U2:UV Achtung Baby at The Sphere.

What a venue, what a show, what a band. Outstanding performance from U2 but unfortunately Larry Mullen Jr was missing. The Sphere is amazing, the effects are incredible, stunning, amazing.

Okay, but did you pay?

As a big U2 fan back in the day and seen them live several times, it saddens me to say they are past their sell by date. The Sphere looks like a fantastic venue but I'm not paying mega $$ to listen to U2 playing their greatest hits from 20+ years ago.

Okay, but did you pay?

As a big U2 fan back in the day and seen them live several times, it saddens me to say they are past their sell by date. The Sphere looks like a fantastic venue but I'm not paying mega $$ to listen to U2 playing their greatest hits from 20+ years ago.

Indeed I did. And I'd pay to go again it was that good. I happened to be in Vegas and was talked into it, it was a spur of the moment thing. U2 played the entire Achtung Baby album so not really a greatest hits show either although the encore consisted of a few hits from different eras.

The Book of Mormon - A fun romp that I feel completely fumbled exposition potential with the origins of the Mormon people prior to the Assyrian sacking. They kept it simple-ish and kept the story of the origins in North America. It went over-the-top as one would expect South Park creators to do Felt the first act was a bit weak, again because I was looking forward to more Mormon/Hebrew history. Second Act was better and the local rendition to the upper brass was pretty much gold. 3 of 4 Loses a little for a tad too much crass.

Steve Hackett - Foxtrot and Hackett Highlights and saw it with my daughter. Jebus this was good, even though the vocals seemed to be piped in at points. Guy in row in front of me got up and seemed to leave as Suppers Ready was starting WTF?!

Suppers Ready isn't Close to the Edge brilliance but that was the fastest 20+ minutes of a song I've ever heard. A total romp. Musicians were top notch. The only setback is the female vocalist isn't touring so Shadows of the Hierophant is just the instrumental part which felt a bit like cheating. Very glad we got to see this. Hackett can only have so many more years touring left. His next set of tour is highlights of Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, which I hope makes it to the States. Daughter will love that.The other bad thing, the show was over before it began. So enjoyable 4 of 4.

I'm too old to remember all the live shows we've seen, so I'll just post the ones I remember well. We saw Ray Charles in concert three times. He's our favorite musical genius. He did soul, funk, jazz, blues and rock and roll. My favorite concert was in a bar in Asheville, NC. It was more intimate and cozy compared to the other concerts. The next favorite was in Greenville, SC. One was in Wilson, NC. Those were all in the 80s.

We saw Dizzy Gillespie in Greenville. The place was less than half full, and Dizzy had to make a few jokes about that. Here was one of the greatest jazz musicians, but hardly anyone showed up for that concert. Maybe that says something about the culture of SC. Again, that was in the early 80s.

We saw Chico Hamilton in Raleigh, NC, as well as few other jazz musicians who I can't remember. I forgot about Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, who we also saw in Raleigh, probably at NC State.

We saw The Temptations in Las Vegas. That was probably in he early 90s.

Anyone remember Judy Tenuta, who sadly died not too long ago? We saw one of her hilarious stand up comedy routines in Raleigh, NC. We also saw a few others at that same venue. Again, I can't remember all of them. I think we saw them at NC State or in a venue right next to NC State.

We saw two Broadway shows in NYC, when my estranged sister was still alive and liked me. She had a lot of money back then so she hired a limo and treated us to the shows. One was "The Music Man" and I can't remember the name of the other one, of course.

I just remembered that I saw Seals and Croft with my ex, when we lived in San Antonio. I don't remember any of their music but they were rather popular in the early 70s. Anyone even remember them?

We saw Doc Severson at Clemson U, but it was funny because he had his really jazzy band with him instead of The Tonight Show Band and at least half of the audience walked out, but we loved the concert.

That's all I can remember now. I can't stand crowds or driving to a big city, so now I sit at home and watch my favorite musicians on DVD and pretend I'm at a concert, but without the hassle. :)

The Book of Mormon - A fun romp that I feel completely fumbled exposition potential with the origins of the Mormon people prior to the Assyrian sacking. They kept it simple-ish and kept the story of the origins in North America. It went over-the-top as one would expect South Park creators to do Felt the first act was a bit weak, again because I was looking forward to more Mormon/Hebrew history. Second Act was better and the local rendition to the upper brass was pretty much gold. 3 of 4 Loses a little for a tad too much crass.

Steve Hackett - Foxtrot and Hackett Highlights and saw it with my daughter. Jebus this was good, even though the vocals seemed to be piped in at points. Guy in row in front of me got up and seemed to leave as Suppers Ready was starting WTF?!

Suppers Ready isn't Close to the Edge brilliance but that was the fastest 20+ minutes of a song I've ever heard. A total romp. Musicians were top notch. The only setback is the female vocalist isn't touring so Shadows of the Hierophant is just the instrumental part which felt a bit like cheating. Very glad we got to see this. Hackett can only have so many more years touring left. His next set of tour is highlights of Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, which I hope makes it to the States. Daughter will love that.The other bad thing, the show was over before it began. So enjoyable 4 of 4.
My one other comment, I don't know if Nad Sylvan was ill or just didn't have it, but the pace and vocal range of Supper's Ready (and a lot of what he sang) in the live album they released for this tour was smaller and slower, maybe Hackett was under the weather or not able to play the pace that night.

The show I attended, it seemed like it was back to normal.

I saw Hackett a while ago. It is the best way to see a Genesis concert today, and even for the past several years before Genesis retired. Though there are a few very good tribute bands that are worth seeing. The Musical Box from Canada may be the best and they tour the US.

Nad Sylvan fits in well with his voice.

It is a bit funny though to see songs like Supper's Ready performed with Hackett taking center stage compared to when with Genesis when he's practically hiding.

My initial take wasn't positive for Sylvan, but I got used to it. He lacks the depth of the lows Gabriel had and obviously Gabriel has a unique singing style. Once I got used to Sylvan's range and style, I was able to appreciate it more fully.

My daughter and I saw Musical Box perform Lamb last year which was quite something to behold. I think the second half of the album *cough* filler *cough* is much better to experience live. And got to see The Musical Box in the encore which is such a wonderful song.

They are doing Selling England By The Pound which I heretically don't like that much.

I thought of a few more. We saw McCoy Tyner in Raleigh. All of the jazz concerts we attended were excellent. I don't think we ever went to any rock concerts in the past 40 years.

We saw Jay Leno do standup, when he was very young. Must not have been that good because I can't remember much of it. Then we saw the late Rich Jenni, who was very funny.

We also saw Natalie Cole in Las Vegas, She had a beatiful voice.

Most of the people we saw have been dead for a long time. Sadly.

Back
Top Bottom