• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Live Event Did You See (Rate it)?

The Book of Mormon - A fun romp that I feel completely fumbled exposition potential with the origins of the Mormon people prior to the Assyrian sacking. They kept it simple-ish and kept the story of the origins in North America. It went over-the-top as one would expect South Park creators to do Felt the first act was a bit weak, again because I was looking forward to more Mormon/Hebrew history. Second Act was better and the local rendition to the upper brass was pretty much gold. 3 of 4 Loses a little for a tad too much crass.

I missed this when it came to Melbourne so was very happy to catch it recently.

Viewed as a comedy rather than history it was gold.

Didn't lose a single point from me. Loved the crass.

Bit astonished by the level of security. Bag searches. Thought it might be due to fanatics.

No. Evidently that is now just standard. It is some time since I've seen live shows.

The Girl From North Country - I was forewarned by MIL that her friends walked out at intermission. I know jack about Bob Dylan lyrics and music. Overall, I loved it. It isn't an easy watch and it isn't fun. But it evokes emotion and it isn't the same darn score/show that repetitive Broadway shows often offer. The pace was also great. I wiuldn't say a lot happens in the small tale, but the pace never felt slow. I was surprised that Intermission came so quickly.

I thought it was funny at some of the points people were laughing at mental illness. Yes, there is comic relief but I think people mistook mental illness for comedy at points.

The score was pleasant and non-Broadway derivative. The cast was awesome. Could see either Frances McDermod or Melissa Leo playing the role of Elizabeth Laine.

It isn't a happy tale, being Depression era and Dylan scoped, wouldn't expect it as such. Times are hard, situations harder, crazy people want to fo back to those days.

4 of 4

Mrs. Doubtfire - A show that would have benefited with less music/singing. They had some musical bits that were genius and they should have just let them stand on their own, instead of trying to stuff more singing needlessly in to pad the show. Lead actor, was good. Not Robin Williams. And no, this isn't a Robin Williams thing. The Genie we saw for Aladdin was phenomenal, even with the high bar. Two of the children were really not that good. The eldest "child" actor was much better. I have no idea why the boy actor was even there. He felt wooden. Yes, just kids, but I've seen enough kids on stage, and this was the first show where the underage crew were underwhelming, which is a problem because they are kind of notable characters. 3 of 4

Funny Girl
- No, this isn't about Rita Rudner. *sigh* It is about (loosely about) an actress star from the turn of the century. The female lead was out of this world good. The music was older and different. The NY accent made understanding lyrics harder. The story is cliché and it'd be nice if maybe they sold it a bit different, sell the female lead's insecurity as to why she is in the bad relationship, provide them an opportunity to grow out of it. I wish the show was a bit shorter! 2.5 of 4

In 1980 I saw The Kinks at Umass Amherst.

Starting 1982 to 1995 I saw about 100 Grateful Dead Concerts

Saw Warren Zevon at a bar in Amherst. He came out after midnight totally drunk

I saw a few The Dead concerts in the early 2000s

Then from 2019 to 2023 I saw 7 Dead and Company concerts.

Grateful Dead tickets in the 1980s/1990's were about $25.
Now tickets are at least $150 and up to $600. Nuts. Ticketmaster!!!

Dead and Company are playing something like 20 shows at the Sphere in Las Vegas this summer but I'm taking a pass. I hope they they will be on Nugs.net.

Oh, if it counts I was at a Canon dealer event at a trade show in Las Vegas in the late 1980's/early 1990s. Canon invited their dealers and some industry analysts and Canon hired Dolly Parton to play a set. Not really my thing but I guess I can say I saw Dolly Parton.

I wonder what Canon paid to hire her for a private event like that.

Saw the Turtles play at Lock 3 several years ago. Keyboardist was Greg Hawkes from The Cars, guitarist had been touring with Alan Parsons. They played some Zappa, it was a concert I would never have gone to on a whim, but my MIL liked them, so we went and I was glad we did.

Back
Top Bottom