• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What movie scenes make you cry?

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
This is supposedly a list of movie scenes that make guys cry:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...v/11535-Top-5-Manly-Movies-that-Make-Guys-Cry

The thing is, not one of those scenes made me cry. You know what gets me almost every time? The scene in The Abyss (special edition, naturally) when Bud has to

...watch his estranged wife drown herself. I know the scene in which he revives her is supposed to be the big tear-jerker, but it's his helpless scream at the beginning of that particular sequence that gets to me.

So anyway, as long as we're on the topic, what movie scenes make you cry?

I just watched the last episode of Derek Season 2. I cried during a particular part in that episode. The list above was dumb. My gf and I tend to cry during similar scenes, why would men necessarily cry about different stuff?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...v/11535-Top-5-Manly-Movies-that-Make-Guys-Cry

Certainly not these. Although two of them I never bothered to watch: Serenity and Armageddon. I'd rather go shoe shopping than watch a Bruce Willis movie.

Field of Dreams, multiple scenes.

Forrest Gump when he's standing over his wife's grave telling her about their son.

Last edited:
The last time a movie got to me was the ending of Atonement.

Other than that, let's see...
Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, The Pianist, The Green Mile, Hotel Rwanda,...

Now that I think about it, I guess I'm entirely predictable with respect to which movies make me tear up.

Edit: I forgot Saving Mr Banks. Now I know that Tom Hanks makes me cry...

Crimson Tide.

It's a lousy movie. A wardroom conversation acted out and with enough filler to make it a feature film. And a disclaimer at the end where the Navy says it's not ever going to happen because Steps Have Been Taken. The disclaimer makes me laugh.

the point where the CO threatens Weps by pointing a gun at the Computer Operator. That would have been me. But that didn't make me cry because i can finally point to something in a movie about what i used to do.
No, it's the fact that the CO had to use a gun to get people to do the right thing. Dammit. I hate people.
The rules are clear. You have a valid 'launch missiles' message, without a valid 'okay, stop' message, then you launch missiles. Until you get the 'okay, stop' message and validate it to make sure it's not a trick by enemy people who don't want nukes dropped upon them, you go by the valid orders.
It's fairly straight-forward. And people wanna fuck it up. Dammit.

The final 20 minutes of Marley & Me, it outranks Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows, but it only surpasses them by the sheer number and length of tear-jerking scenes at the end.

Also X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the entire movie.

What a crap article!

Certainly not these. Although two of them I never bothered to watch: Serenity and Armageddon. I'd rather go shoe shopping than watch a Bruce Willis movie.
I know I was tears over how bad Armageddon was and especially that Affleck wasn't left to die.

The entire Hotel Rwanda film made me feel empty.

Ok so it was lateish one night when I decided to watch a movie I had picked up earlier

Grave of the Fireflies

I'm sure many will know this movie and for those that don't it is set in WW2 during the Firebombings of Kobe in Japan
And the plot is basically

A kid and his younger sister starve to death over the course of the movie due to the hardships caused by the war

And I will admit the end had me crying manly tears
Or more specifically

The cremation scene

The final 20 minutes of Marley & Me, it outranks Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows, but it only surpasses them by the sheer number and length of tear-jerking scenes at the end.

Also X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the entire movie.

Ah yeah, Marley & Me how could I forget? You know it's coming through the whole damn movie and it still gets you.

I like the cheesy, happy endings to stupid romantic comedies and they generally bring a happy tear to my eyes. I know how lame they are, but they're a guilty pleasure.

Also, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. That just made me curl up into a ball and weep.

The last 20 minutes of Marley and Me for sure.

Also a couple of scenes in Stepmom; the one where they are talking about the daughters potential marriage and the possible memories, and at the end where everyone sits on the couch for the last family photo.

It has already been referenced above, but the end of "Field of Dreams" gets me every time.

"Hey dad...you wanna have a catch?"

Tears like you have no idea.

There's a scene in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather that gets me every time.

Death has to replace the Hogfather (the Discworld's Santa equivalent) and he and Albert meet the Little Matchstick Girl who, true to the stories, has frozen to death. This time Death gets to bend the rules and as the Hogfather gives the best present he can think of, a future.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvwYCbBWxT8[/YOUTUBE]

Field of Dreams, definitely, but not the final scene..instead it's the scene..

Where Archie Graham steps over the foul line and reverts to his older self and when Ray realizes he con't go back

And this was a surprise for me - but the ending of Big Fish really got to me.

and one more...

Of Mice and Men- the final scene with George & Lenny, of course.

So many for me. In My Girl when the little girl takes on the "bee stings" or cries "he needs his glasses!" In Stella when she convinces her daughter to leave. In Steel Magnolia's when Dolly Parton's husband wants to go the funeral. Just about all of Les Miserable'. I could go on and on.

Not looking forward to "The Fault in our Stars!!

Not a guy, ignore at will.
The thing is, not one of those scenes made me cry. You know what gets me almost every time? The scene in The Abyss (special edition, naturally) when Bud has to

...watch his estranged wife drown herself. I know the scene in which he revives her is supposed to be the big tear-jerker, but it's his helpless scream at the beginning of that particular sequence that gets to me.

I cry a little when he is working to revive her.

When she is drowning herself I just get pissed off, and that overrides any empathy for the characters, because they should be on their way while she is still conscious. It would reduce her total "dead time", by a lot, and a conscious woman can get out much quicker than he could get an inert body out. But drowning and final struggles would be much harder to portray on film in the open water (without actually drowning Mastrantonio).

I suggest you give it a shot. It doesn't belong in the same category as Armageddon. IMO

I just watched the last episode of Derek Season 2. I cried during a particular part in that episode. The list above was dumb. My gf and I tend to cry during similar scenes, why would men necessarily cry about different stuff?

Good call, braces. But I'd go further: in just about every episode of both seasons of Derek there's been at least one moment where I've found myself welling up. Who'd have thunk Ricky Gervais could do pathos so well?

Not a single one from the original list.
I need to get engaged with the characters to feel like crying, not be watching an action flick like Terminator 2 or Armageddon. (Armageddon, seriously?)
And in Serenity, although I did like the movie, the "crying scene" from the article didn't make me want to cry. It was more a shock scene to me.

What I found is that my experiences, the things I can relate to, make a difference in what makes me cry. When I was a lonely young guy, I'd feel misty eyed for love stories. Now that I am a parent, father-kids relationships are a good button to push if you want my throat to tighten.
The last two times I cried in the recent years were
- in BSG, when Helo & Athena have their daughter born, then when they lose her.
- in Gran Torino, with the funeral, the reading of the will, and the ending.

Back
Top Bottom