• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What now for poor Lebanon?

Israel has no ability to stabilize Lebanon because of all the Iranian money being spent to mess it up.
^THAT.
Bibi and the Ayatollah have common interest in keeping Lebanon fertile ground for terrorism.
Unfortunately Lebanon was unstable long before Bibi came along. He is not helping but he did not start it.
Long before?
The problems for Lebanon really seemed to begin in 1958.
They never seemed to recover fully and then the Civil war began in 1975, the 1982 Israeli invasion etc.
Netanyahu is 74. It started long before he appeared on the scene.

It’s logical for Israel to address hostilities originating from Lebanese territory. However, what wouldn't make sense is ignoring the opportunity to collaborate with any friendly factions in Lebanon. Ensuring Lebanon’s stability would help prevent a power vacuum that could draw Iran and Hezbollah even deeper into the country's affairs. Just don't destabilize Lebanon and these efforts just might work in Israel's favor. Otherwise it's back to the 1980's Lebanon.
Israel has no ability to stabilize Lebanon because of all the Iranian money being spent to mess it up.

This is where the collaboration with allies in Lebanon that I mentioned comes in. It's clear that the Lebanese government is already feeling the impact, which will inevitably escalate tensions between them and Hezbollah. While the government may not currently be in a position to oust Hezbollah on its own, I’m confident they would seize any opportunity to do so, especially if Hezbollah is weakened—something Israel is clearly aiming for at the moment.
Yep. And it appears that Iran is abandoning Lebanon.
One can certainly hope that is the case but unlikely.

A ground invasion of Lebanon by Israel will not in the short term help Lebanon. If Israel can really damage Hezbollah that might give the Lebanese government an opportunity to try to wrest control back.

^THAT.
Bibi and the Ayatollah have common interest in keeping Lebanon fertile ground for terrorism.
Unfortunately Lebanon was unstable long before Bibi came along. He is not helping but he did not start it.
Long before?
The problems for Lebanon really seemed to begin in 1958.
They never seemed to recover fully and then the Civil war began in 1975, the 1982 Israeli invasion etc.
Netanyahu is 74. It started long before he appeared on the scene.
Bibi didn't start the fire (sorry Billy Joel), but he is the motherfucker currently trying to put out the flames with gasoline.

Netanyahu is like the worst parts of George W and Trump combined. He's a corrupt autocratic cunt working overtime to dismantle any possible oversight of his regime (al la Project 2025), and then did a bait and switch from Gaza to Lebanon (al la Saddam's WMDs).

^THAT.
There seems to be a major belief in time machines. Everything is always the fault of whatever relevant Jewish action exists, regardless of whether the problem predates said action.

It’s logical for Israel to address hostilities originating from Lebanese territory. However, what wouldn't make sense is ignoring the opportunity to collaborate with any friendly factions in Lebanon. Ensuring Lebanon’s stability would help prevent a power vacuum that could draw Iran and Hezbollah even deeper into the country's affairs. Just don't destabilize Lebanon and these efforts just might work in Israel's favor. Otherwise it's back to the 1980's Lebanon.

This is where the collaboration with allies in Lebanon that I mentioned comes in. It's clear that the Lebanese government is already feeling the impact, which will inevitably escalate tensions between them and Hezbollah. While the government may not currently be in a position to oust Hezbollah on its own, I’m confident they would seize any opportunity to do so, especially if Hezbollah is weakened—something Israel is clearly aiming for at the moment.
Why in the world would you expect them to? Evicting Hezbollah will get Iranian violence targeted at them rather than simply being incidental. (Same as neither Lebanon nor Syria shoots at Israeli aircraft. They know Israel could smash their air defenses if need be, but that Israel isn't going to start something with them.)

We even saw it with Europe--European governments would tell terrorists that it was getting too hot, move on before we have to come arrest you. That's why the Mossad was assassinating the Munich terrorists--they would always be tipped off and run before they were arrested.

^THAT.
There seems to be a major belief in time machines. Everything is always the fault of whatever relevant Jewish action exists, regardless of whether the problem predates said action.
The perpetuation is current, not past.

Why in the world would you expect them to? Evicting Hezbollah will get Iranian violence targeted at them rather than simply being incidental. (Same as neither Lebanon nor Syria shoots at Israeli aircraft. They know Israel could smash their air defenses if need be, but that Israel isn't going to start something with them.)

We even saw it with Europe--European governments would tell terrorists that it was getting too hot, move on before we have to come arrest you. That's why the Mossad was assassinating the Munich terrorists--they would always be tipped off and run before they were arrested.

I think there’s been a bit of a misunderstanding about what I’m suggesting. My argument isn’t that the Lebanese government would take bold direct action. Instead, I'm proposing that Israel continues to weaken Hezbollah through targeted military operations, creating opportunities for the Lebanese government to regain control incrementally.

The idea is that Lebanon wouldn’t necessarily confront Hezbollah head-on but rather "step aside" while Israel handles the heavy lifting, as you put it. Once Israel severely diminishes Hezbollah's influence or infrastructure, the Lebanese government could move in and reclaim areas with little resistance—with Israel turning a blind eye. This way, Lebanon could gradually stabilize without overtly challenging Hezbollah themselves. It’s a strategy based on plausible deniability, where Lebanon wouldn’t actively engage Hezbollah but could still benefit from Israel’s efforts.

In short, it’s a cooperative dynamic without explicit collaboration, where Israel’s military actions would indirectly enable Lebanon to restore order when the moment is right.

Well, I suppose we could always say 'forget Lebanon' and spark yet another refugee crisis. That’s always an option, right? I suppose its easier to bitch and moan about immigration than it is to prevent it.

Back
Top Bottom