• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Jessica Jones: 7/10

was pretty decent overall, had a high level of production quality as expected after daredevil.
really didn't like krysten ritter as the title character because she looks nothing like the comics counter-part and she seemed like a weak link in the acting pool, but not badly enough to be a major issue.

i found the fact that the show was basically "using super powered people and the Marvel universe as a front-drop to tell an allegorical story-list for all the ways in which emotionally stunted man-children are assholes to women" to be both accurate and kind of interesting in how out front it was about its message, but also annoying in that once again a netflix produced marvel show had their main antagonist's primary personality trait be "is a whining adult sized baby who is doing all of this as an expansive temper-tantrum over their mommy issues" and it just felt like it leeched all the menace out of the villain.

anyways, it was decent enough - i'll watch the powerman series coming out next from netflix, and probably watch the ghetto-avengers series they make after that with all these guys together, but i hope they break away a bit from this formula for powerman or else it'll be 3 for 3 where the villain gets irredeemably lame in the 3rd act and i kind of lose interest.

The Flash
5/10
I want to like this show, I think the actors are all great, the effects are decent and they have done well with the somewhat....... goofy villains
But something about this show just never seems to get out of first gear and really kick things up a notch
It could be that the main villan who was supposed to be a slow reveal was pretty obvious from about halfway through episode 1
It could be that we never get enough of the flash being flash and the enemies being kewl
I dunno
I want to love the flash
But at the moment.........it's okay

It's a fun little romp, but no one is going to mistake it for great art. I'm just glad they got the tone right, because that is exactly what Arrow gets wrong. Green Arrow is supposed to be a swashbuckling social justice guy, and they turned him into Batman-but-with-a-bow. Flash is appropriately goofy and adorkable.

They are taking their time with Caitlin's villain arc, though. They have hardly hinted at a dark side for her.

The Flash
5/10
I want to like this show, I think the actors are all great, the effects are decent and they have done well with the somewhat....... goofy villains
But something about this show just never seems to get out of first gear and really kick things up a notch
It could be that the main villan who was supposed to be a slow reveal was pretty obvious from about halfway through episode 1
It could be that we never get enough of the flash being flash and the enemies being kewl
I dunno
I want to love the flash
But at the moment.........it's okay

It's a fun little romp, but no one is going to mistake it for great art. I'm just glad they got the tone right, because that is exactly what Arrow gets wrong. Green Arrow is supposed to be a swashbuckling social justice guy, and they turned him into Batman-but-with-a-bow. Flash is appropriately goofy and adorkable.

They are taking their time with Caitlin's villain arc, though. They have hardly hinted at a dark side for her.

I've heard it described as "Flash forgets he has superpowers and has to be reminded about them every episode". I haven't seen it so I don't know how true that is.

I've heard it described as "Flash forgets he has superpowers and has to be reminded about them every episode". I haven't seen it so I don't know how true that is.

I'd say it is more like "Flash has trouble coping with his superpowers so he leans on his non-super friends to help."

And that's kinda the charm of the show. Every week we're reminded that Barry is really just a kid. Socially awkward, mostly clueless when it comes to relationships, and hopelessly idealistic. Every week or so, these character traits he has get tested. He blows it with the pretty girl. The villain takes advantage of his trusting nature, or his anger gets the best of him...and he doesn't change.

Arrow tells the story of how Oliver Queen changed from billionaire playboy to brutal vigilante and then to...well...they haven't seemed to figure out where he's going.

Flash tells the story of how Barry - despite being gifted with an incredible power - struggles to not change. To not become jaded and cynical and abuse his gift. To remain true to himself.

Holy-oh-my-god-how-cool.

The Man in the High Castle

This is a new series on Amazon that's culled from a Phillip K. Dick book of the same name, which tells the alternate history story of the Axis powers defeating the Allies in WW2.

I only got halfway through the first episode because I found it at 2 in the morning, but it seems solid already. However, there's an unfortunate large amount of expository language, which for the fucking life of me I don't understand. That's Basic Creative Writing 90 in college yet TV shows and movies are rampant with it. Hopefully that goes away with time.

Other than that, I just appreciate that an alternate history TV series about this book has been made. Like Most PKD books, this one wasn't especially well-written or mind-blowing. But what the guy did have was an endless amount of cool ideas. Anyway, the show seems intriguing, so I'll keep watching.

?/10

Person Of Interest

Police procedural meets science-fiction. A super-powerful artificial intelligence predicts murder, and based on that, a team of vigilantees attempts to prevent it.
The actors are mostly very, very competent, the writing could be better (a main character turned from evil psychopath to hero without undergoing significant character development), the special effects and actions are mostly good.
7/10

Fargo. Not sure what rating I'll give it yet, but the writing actually seems kind of average to me, so far.

There are some tropes like "lead investigator gets close to finding big clue, only to be taken off the case". The psychopathic character is fairly one-dimensional (which I know is common among psychopathic characters, but to me that means it should be less common) and not much is known about his past or his motivations, so we are left to assume that he "just likes to kill" and he's "just crazy". There are some little things too, like not having security cameras around, even near a jail cell, and the psychopath leaving his door unlocked upon leaving his residence. I guess I just have to assume that the psychopath likes to live dangerously, even though he already made a precaution by denying that he knew the main character on one occasion. Perhaps I'm expecting too much consistency from a psychopath. Oh, and don't get me started on the "what if life is a dream" stuff.

Is the second season on?

The first season was great. It did have its plot-holes, but the rest of it was so good, they were easy to overlook. But I missed the all-important next to last episode due to a DVR malfunction. Apparently everything happened in that episode so that the final one was so far removed from it that it didn't make a lot of sense.

Maybe the second season only makes sense if you've seen the first?

It's an anthology series, the second season is a different story. It takes place in the late 70s in the same area and with similar character types and story themes. I actually like this season much more than the first. I think there's two more episodes left.

After binge watching this show, I have to say it is far and away the best new internet series. The first episode was a little rough, but after that the show really takes off. Great characters, great plot lines, and the visual aspects of the show are truly amazing.

Again, the Axis powers have won the 2nd World War and occupy the eastern and western parts of the U.S. respectively. There is an American resistance movement that has somehow gotten ahold of the films that we know in our universe as the films that show the Allied powers winning that war. Where the films come from is a mystery, and this is where the science fiction part of it is really intriguing.

All I can say is SEE THIS!

9/10

Just finished watching season 1 of "Ripper Street". Aww, I wish I had more time for watching TV.

After binge watching this show, I have to say it is far and away the best new internet series. The first episode was a little rough, but after that the show really takes off. Great characters, great plot lines, and the visual aspects of the show are truly amazing.

Again, the Axis powers have won the 2nd World War and occupy the eastern and western parts of the U.S. respectively. There is an American resistance movement that has somehow gotten ahold of the films that we know in our universe as the films that show the Allied powers winning that war. Where the films come from is a mystery, and this is where the science fiction part of it is really intriguing.

9/10

Thanks for the tip. If it hadn't been for you I wouldn't have watched this. You sir are correct. Pure gold

10/10

I love alt history. What I like the most about it is just how pretty it is. Production values... Seeing the American flag with the inlaid Swastika. Too cool.

9/10

I'm only a couple episodes in, but yeah...this looks damned good so far.

I just finished season 2 of The 100 this week. Wow.

I really thought they'd figure out a way to avoid irradiating the Mountain Men. But when Clark shot the President and let his son hear him die, I realized that wasn't gonna happen. Now all the 'Sky People' are back at Camp Jaha and still surrounded by Grounders...and I'm pretty sure the truce is no longer in effect. My guess is that this is where the other Ark ship survivors come in?

Can't wait for season 3.

Just watched Man in the high Castle episode 1. I can see why it is rated so highly here: lots of potential for interesting sub-plots.

Just where do these alternate history films come from?

Just watched Man in the high Castle episode 1. I can see why it is rated so highly here: lots of potential for interesting sub-plots.

Just where do these alternate history films come from?

Why do you want to spoil it for yourself? Why not just watch it? All the episodes of season one are released already. Enjoy

BTW, this is based on a Philip k. Dick novel so he's going to mess with your head. That's just what he does.

Episode 1 is the weakest of the series. Evidently it was a pilot they shot and didn't know whether the series was actually going to be made, so they premiered it at some convention to see how people would respond. That's why it's so full of expository dialogue that ruins the quality of it.

It's not perfect. My biggest complaint has to do with one of the lead characters and how that character needs to just die because they... just need to die. But for a first season on a show that Amazon took a big risk on, it turns out pretty damn good.

re Man in the High Castle: I've just watched Episode 5. I'm really liking it... and beginning to guess at the connection between the Japanese, the resistance and the Germans.

Seen all the Man in the High Castle and now get the connection with the I Ching. It's not call the "book of changes" for nothing.

Watching Vikings. I like it! They're doing typically Viking things, although they seem somewhat Klingon - without the forehead ridges.

Making a Murderer

Holy hell. A friend told me I should watch this. I watched episode 1 on Netflix and my eyes are now bleeding from binge watching the entire season over 2 days.

It's about a man who was wrongfully convicted of rape, but was exonerated and released from prison 18 years later. Upon discovering that the prosecutor and police had information exonerating him when they knew he wasn't guilty, he filed a $36 million dollar lawsuit. It only get worse from there. The man is then arrested for murder. A short while later, his nephew, who has a 4th grade reading capability and an IQ of 70 is arrested as a co-defendant in the murder.

If you ever want to see just how savagely corrupt our legal system can be, see this now.

10/10

Making a Murderer

Holy hell. A friend told me I should watch this. I watched episode 1 on Netflix and my eyes are now bleeding from binge watching the entire season over 2 days.

It's about a man who was wrongfully convicted of rape, but was exonerated and released from prison 18 years later. Upon discovering that the prosecutor and police had information exonerating him when they knew he wasn't guilty, he filed a $36 million dollar lawsuit. It only get worse from there. The man is then arrested for murder. A short while later, his nephew, who has a 4th grade reading capability and an IQ of 70 is arrested as a co-defendant in the murder.

If you ever want to see just how savagely corrupt our legal system can be, see this now.

10/10

Are you saying it's a true story?

Back
Top Bottom