• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

...historical Vikings had very basic and equipment and led frugal lives. No fancy swords, or sophisticated armour. Just spears and chain-mail. Vendel style helmets are incredibly basic and easy to churn out. Very basic linen or wool shirts. Wool socks/boots. They had none of that fancy shit in the Viking TV-series. Especially not the complicated designer leather wear they all walk around in.

I went into the show having read the criticisms of historical inaccuracy and mentally treated it as a history-inspired fantasy show, but the costumes and haircuts are quite distracting. Does Ragnar shave the sides of his head every day, even while on his deathbed? Why does that shirt look like it's made from plastic or polyester?

I enjoyed the raids, the sheer cruelty of the raiders and the ineptitude of the Saxon garrisons, but everything else is mediocre to shit.

Stopped my binge after just over one season. 3/5 stars.

I think the hair cuts are historically accurate. They had a bunch of beads in them and reportedly shaved parts of their heads. A common viking haircut was to shave the back of the head, but really high up. So it looks rediculous. That can be found in the Vikings TV series.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/77/29/227729aecede496c05f18014bb1b3da6.jpg

They were also heavily tattooed. The viking rune language was only allowed to be used for magical spells. So they would have been covered in runes and magically significant animal images.

- - - Updated - - -

...historical Vikings had very basic and equipment and led frugal lives. No fancy swords, or sophisticated armour. Just spears and chain-mail. Vendel style helmets are incredibly basic and easy to churn out. Very basic linen or wool shirts. Wool socks/boots. They had none of that fancy shit in the Viking TV-series. Especially not the complicated designer leather wear they all walk around in.

I went into the show having read the criticisms of historical inaccuracy and mentally treated it as a history-inspired fantasy show, but the costumes and haircuts are quite distracting. Does Ragnar shave the sides of his head every day, even while on his deathbed? Why does that shirt look like it's made from plastic or polyester?

I enjoyed the raids, the sheer cruelty of the raiders and the ineptitude of the Saxon garrisons, but everything else is mediocre to shit.

Stopped my binge after just over one season. 3/5 stars.

I think the hair cuts are historically accurate. They had a bunch of beads in them and reportedly shaved parts of their heads. A common viking haircut was to shave the back of the head, but really high up. So it looks rediculous. That can be found in the Vikings TV series.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/77/29/227729aecede496c05f18014bb1b3da6.jpg

They were also heavily tattooed. The viking rune language was only allowed to be used for magical spells. So they would have been covered in runes and magically significant animal images.

BTW, here's a good video showing authentic viking military equipment. Apart from the swords and hockey glove it's how every viking would be dressed for battle. Also shows how viking cloth would look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Uw1g5MU_U

Only viking nobles would have swords. It was a luxury item, and almost all viking raiders would only have a spear. In massed ranks for battle, even the ones who had swords would leave it in their belt and use a spear. Because it's way better when fighting in ranks. Axes were only used for woodwork and chopping wood. They would only use axes if that was the only thing they had around at the moment. Or if they were horrendously poor. But it was never part of standard war gear. War axes found and depicted in art are more like halberds than small hand axes. And would be used like halberds. So a spear you can hook with.

Only viking nobles would have swords. It was a luxury item, and almost all viking raiders would only have a spear. In massed ranks for battle, even the ones who had swords would leave it in their belt and use a spear. Because it's way better when fighting in ranks. Axes were only used for woodwork and chopping wood. They would only use axes if that was the only thing they had around at the moment. Or if they were horrendously poor. But it was never part of standard war gear. War axes found and depicted in art are more like halberds than small hand axes. And would be used like halberds. So a spear you can hook with.

That makes sense. It looks silly when the Norsemen fight each other with axes in battles. The director must have known this was wrong as he tries to avoid showing how silly they look wrist-flicking axes over the shield wall. Yet tries to use swordfighting choreography for axe duels.

And whenever a viking throws an axe that hits its target blade-first, my internal monologue says "get fucked".

...but it looks good on camera when they cut loose in a village or monastery.

Arrow first season about 10 episodes in. I think I will stop.

i just got Netflix and first watched The Flashb which I thought had a good balance of humor, dramab actionb scifi woo and a decent arc.

Arrow is playing to much as a rich boy soap opera and alsotoo much evading bullets and instant recuperation from major wounds - Flash had super healing plot device but still had him out of commission for several hours at times.

I would give it 6/10 only for hot actresses (eye candy for the ladies too) and good production values.

Have you watched The Last Kingdom? It has some Viking action, although it takes place in England during the time of King Edward the Great, when he was plagued with wave after wave of Danes going Viking all across the island.

I don't know how historically accurate it is.

The Last Kingdom is great. If you fast forward past the fighting scenes. It's in parts Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon level. The politics is accurate. They even call the Vikings the right thing, ie "Danes". Viking is a modern term for them. The word viking was the Norse word for going on a raid. They themselves did not identify with being Vikings and neither did other people call them that.

But they screw up the Viking equipment, just as much as the Vikings series. The vikings fought in massed ranks. Similar to the ancient Greeks. Or any ancient army. That's... you know... how they won battles. Ancient battles rely on discipline and training. Not on getting drunk and flailing wildly. The Norse shield wall was a popular viking tactic. Shield walls require extreme discipline, which they wouldn't have been able to consistently succeed with if they weren't well disciplined.

The Last Kingdom at least treats the cultural conflicts well. And tries to explain it. In the Vikings it's just flavour. For all practical purposes Ragnra Lothbrok, (in the series) is a modern man gone back in time in a time machine.

Shield walls are a very frightening experience. My understanding is drunkenness was encouraged at times just to get the army to engage.

Just finished Dirk Gently's Hollistic Detective Agency. Of course I love it. But you definitely have to be a bit open minded and maybe a tad crazy to really get it.

What I liked about it that none of the characters knew what the hell was going on any more than the audience. For those who haven't seen the show, this scene (the first minute or so) is a perfect example:

Arrow first season about 10 episodes in. I think I will stop.

i just got Netflix and first watched The Flashb which I thought had a good balance of humor, dramab actionb scifi woo and a decent arc.

Arrow is playing to much as a rich boy soap opera and alsotoo much evading bullets and instant recuperation from major wounds - Flash had super healing plot device but still had him out of commission for several hours at times.

I would give it 6/10 only for hot actresses (eye candy for the ladies too) and good production values.

I like the way Arrow is all about having the rich bad guys arrested and brought to justice because people's lives matter, but just straight up kills the poor underlings who are between him and them. A hero for the one percenters.

The Last Kingdom is great. If you fast forward past the fighting scenes. It's in parts Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon level. The politics is accurate. They even call the Vikings the right thing, ie "Danes". Viking is a modern term for them. The word viking was the Norse word for going on a raid. They themselves did not identify with being Vikings and neither did other people call them that.

But they screw up the Viking equipment, just as much as the Vikings series. The vikings fought in massed ranks. Similar to the ancient Greeks. Or any ancient army. That's... you know... how they won battles. Ancient battles rely on discipline and training. Not on getting drunk and flailing wildly. The Norse shield wall was a popular viking tactic. Shield walls require extreme discipline, which they wouldn't have been able to consistently succeed with if they weren't well disciplined.

The Last Kingdom at least treats the cultural conflicts well. And tries to explain it. In the Vikings it's just flavour. For all practical purposes Ragnra Lothbrok, (in the series) is a modern man gone back in time in a time machine.

Shield walls are a very frightening experience. My understanding is drunkenness was encouraged at times just to get the army to engage.

Yes, they all drank alcohol all the time (because water in communities wasn't safe). But they didn't have fancy brewing techniques of today. The result is that the alcohol was weak. But how weak it was we'll likely never know. This is information lost in history. Beer recipes was at this point state secrets, for complicated tax collecting reasons. When they figured out how to brew beer using hops, the old recipes were just thrown out. So we don't know them, and therefore can't replicate them. Probably just drunk enough to take the edge off. And sober enough to be able to fight well. Because that's the smart thing to do and these people were good at winning fights.

It's also true that they would eat magical mushrooms and go crazy. But not in battle. These were shamanic religious rituals carried out at various religious sacred places. It was similar to Greek Pagan festivals. These were mystery cults where you had to swear secrecy when partaking. So these are also all lost in history.

The image of the Viking as a drunken savage comes from Christian portrayals of them. These were made for propaganda purposes to justify and get support for attacks on them. A big explanation to the spread of Christianity among the vikings were that the pope forbade war between Christian kings as well as guaranteeing that the ruling family would stay in power forever. If you're a king in a country with non-hereditary kingship, where kings are elected and where borders between kingdoms is extremely vague, this sounds great. Pagan Viking kings had no qualms about attacking each other. So the savage image of vikings was spread.

The wicker man myth for example is based on Christian anti-pagan propaganda. You don't need to be a genius to figure out that it's wildly exaggerated. Most likely the wicker man didn't have any people in it at all. Pagans did practice human sacrifice. But caging a bunch of people into a towering wicker statue and then burning them alive sounds implausible. A child can probably escape a wicker cage with little motivation.

Vikings themselves encouraged this image, because it made life easier for them to. It's much easier to fight an opponent who is terrified or even better, runs away. Vikings traded primarily in slaves. The job is way easier if your opponents are too scared to fight. That's btw why they were covered in silver jewellery and beads. That's their wallet. It's a real handy way of carrying around vast wealth.

Bah... all my frustration of not seeing a proper Viking film or TV-series is pouring out of my little Swedish soul. A real historical drama, based on true events, and with historically accurate equipment... wouldn't be any more expensive than the shit they're churning out now. It would be just as fun, because the real Vikings were quite the characters. There was loads of complex politics, backstabbing and vengeance = fun.

edit: One note though. In the defence of Vikings, The Viking TV-series is based on the Norse myth of Ragnar Lodbrok. It's an accurate portrayal of the myth. So they're not trying to show history. They're showing events that we've always known were bullshit. I'm pretty sure the confused faces of Ragnar's own crew tipped his people off it was bullshit that first time Ragnar spiced up the stories on their first re-telling.

In ancient mythic retelling of warfare the massed ranks are often replaced with descriptions of one-on-one duels between the two commanders. Or other critical personalities. It just lends to a more interesting re-telling. These were ballads intended to be sung and poetic licence was accepted.

So having one-on-one duels in the Vikings (or Last Kingdom) is being faithful to the myth.

But if they're doing myths, why not add magical creatures to them? Or have divine interventions? Or whatever makes it clear it's mythic. Right now I get the feeling they're trying to pass off myth as historicity. Which just leaves me feeling uneasy.

Last edited:
Welp, I just finished Black Sails and I have to say it did not end strong. Overall, I'd give it 6/10. It would have been 7 if it had a stronger ending.

While I appreciate it had the courage not to try to be just a straight Treasure Island prequel, its ending seemed to be far too much a forced happy ending for everyone. I'm having a hard time figuring out where exactly this series went wrong. It didn't go horribly wrong like so many, but ended up as kind of a meh, despite definitely good and fascinating parts. I really don't think it ought to have had a happy ending.

I've been watching the first season of Frasier on Netflix. I'm surprised how well it's held up for me. The first episodes didn't have that awkward phase that so many shows go through until they hit their stride.

And wow, some of the scenes that have stuck with me for years were in those first handful of episodes. One favorite is when Frasier and Niles are taken (against their will) to their Dad's favorite steak house. After the two brothers rag on the food, the help, the ambience, Dad has had enough. He chews them out for their lack of manners, saying (in paraphrase)
"I'm glad your mother gave you the finer things in life like opera and symphonies. But she would go to a ball game once in a while. Even eat a hotdog. And that's because she had something that you two have never had . . . class."

The woman never had a minute on screen, but I made her a role model.

I've been watching the first season of Frasier on Netflix. I'm surprised how well it's held up for me. The first episodes didn't have that awkward phase that so many shows go through until they hit their stride.

And wow, some of the scenes that have stuck with me for years were in those first handful of episodes. One favorite is when Frasier and Niles are taken (against their will) to their Dad's favorite steak house. After the two brothers rag on the food, the help, the ambience, Dad has had enough. He chews them out for their lack of manners, saying (in paraphrase)
"I'm glad your mother gave you the finer things in life like opera and symphonies. But she would go to a ball game once in a while. Even eat a hotdog. And that's because she had something that you two have never had . . . class."

The woman never had a minute on screen, but I made her a role model.

I regularly watch Frasier on cable/network tv. It really is a well crafted show and as you say has stood the test of time. There's a certain British, farce type humor to it. Almost like a "Carry On" film I think.

I've been watching "The Catch" on the Netflix.

Fishing show. Appears to be trying to latch onto the success of "Deadliest Catch" but instead of high risk crab fishing in the Bering Sea, it is generic commercial fishing in and around Britain. Turbot and scallops and basically whatever comes up in the nets.

But these shows are all about characters, and while the danger might not be the same, the captains and fishermen are comparable to the crab boat celebrities of Deadliest Catch. The producers of this show have focused on a few colorful blokes on these boats and have managed to make a compelling drama out of it.

Lucifer
5/10

The premise is that Lucifer got tired of hell, so he went to Earth and ends up solving crimes. It's a run-of-the-mill detective show, and the devil ends up being nothing more than yet another eccentric police "consultant" with a British accent and some special skills. The whole supernatural aspect is almost completely wasted, and the characterization of Lucifer is just bad. Not that the devil couldn't be a good guy, or that he can't show human weaknesses, but there is an enormous disconnect between what he says and what he actually does. And not in a smart way. The storylines are rehashings of every cop show from the past 50 years, with an ongoing B-story of will-they-wont-they back-and-forth between Lucifer and the lady detective she's paired with. A completely forgettable show that you can pass without a second thought... and besides, if the devil is real you'll probably get to watch it a thousand times when you are spending an eternity in hell so don't fret about it.

Saw my first couple of episodes of The Big Bang Theory the other night as the set of Friends had ended and neither the wife nor I could be bothered to change the station. Although it follows the same, tired old sitcom formula, I did find it rather enjoyable. I think it may have to do with the characters, not sure. I had written off sitcoms a while back, but this one wasn't bad.

Saw my first couple of episodes of The Big Bang Theory the other night as the set of Friends had ended and neither the wife nor I could be bothered to change the station. Although it follows the same, tired old sitcom formula, I did find it rather enjoyable. I think it may have to do with the characters, not sure. I had written off sitcoms a while back, but this one wasn't bad.

What makes the Big Bang theory good IMHO is that it's got all the best sit-com writers in the entire world. All the actors are the best. it's got crazy amounts of money behind it. It's smart. It's basic idea to make fun of nerds. Which is an incredibly lame and done-to-death formula. It's a cheap and easy way to get laughs. But it's simultaneously a homage to nerds. It somehow manages to make fun of nerds without doing so at the nerd's expense. And that requires incredibly skilled writing. It's got so much nerd candy that flies over the head of non-nerds. idiots watch it and go, "ho ho, look at the silly nerds, funny" while nerds watching it understand that the nerds are the heroes. Nerds watching it are in the in-crowd and jocks aren't.

It's horrendously sexist yet manages to be forgiven by all the major feminists. Also, skilled writing. I honestly don't understand how they get away with it. The feminist critique comments I've seen on it have been minor.

So it's basically classical old-timey, let's make fun of nerds and silly women routine that became stale and unmodern in the 70'ies, but dressed in a modern skin. And works. I also like it. I think it's great. But I get it why it's good. And that's kind of sad.

It's genius to have a genius with Asperger say all the conservative Trumpisms. It's just like having Peter Griffin in Family Guy do the same thing. We forgive all of it because the character saying it doesn't know better. But we do. Obviously they're the mouthpieces for the writers who are honestly putting out conservative values that the retarded part of humanity agrees with. In Family Guy's case it's liberal irony. But for the Big Bang theory I don't think it is.

Star Trek: Discovery
8/10

First episode out of the two-parter. And it seems adequate. Woohoo!

Star Trek: Discovery
8/10

First episode out of the two-parter. And it seems adequate. Woohoo!

It was a bust for me. Set the DVR but 60 Minutes ran overtime so I only got about half the program. WTF, CBS?

DVR? I thought it was a streaming program, or did they release this OTA to get people on board?

I read a light review on the show and it doesn't sound too promising, as they glorified how great it looked, and meandered a little about acting and plot.

Jessica Jones / Luke Cage / Daredevil (Season One) - Three episodes into the first two, maybe five for the third of these series as I try to get through the Defenders before the Defenders. I like Jessica Jones a bit, though am a bit hard sell on the main villain. Luke Cage is enticing, but I'm not certain how they'll continue to sell the black Superman angle without that getting old. Daredevil is getting pretty good, but a bit too nuanced in their main villain's plot.

3 of 4

DVR? I thought it was a streaming program, or did they release this OTA to get people on board?

I read a light review on the show and it doesn't sound too promising, as they glorified how great it looked, and meandered a little about acting and plot.

Yup, first show OTA. My guess is there are a lot of pissed off nerds out there that DVR'd it and got screwed.

From what I did see, it does look very good. As far as the characters and acting go, I think it left a little to be desired. Of course I've only seen half a show so...

Jessica Jones / Luke Cage / Daredevil (Season One) - Three episodes into the first two, maybe five for the third of these series as I try to get through the Defenders before the Defenders. I like Jessica Jones a bit, though am a bit hard sell on the main villain. Luke Cage is enticing, but I'm not certain how they'll continue to sell the black Superman angle without that getting old. Daredevil is getting pretty good, but a bit too nuanced in their main villain's plot.

3 of 4

It took me a few episodes to warm up to Jessica Jones. It definitely gets better as the season continues. If you're liking it now, I'm sure you'll enjoy it more as you continue to watch.

Back
Top Bottom