• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

No 'Survivor' fans?

Watched it from the original.

It's not about surviving on a tropical island ten minutes removed from civilization.

It's about deprivation and personal interchanges that make it fascinating.

I'm Alan Partridge, Season 1 episode 4. Re watching after many years, plan to watch them all again over the next couple of weeks, If any of you have not heard of it it's the kind of comedy that should be watched from behind the sofa!:)

Inhumans

The critics seem to be hitting this hard, but I can’t see why. It’s seems to be as good as any Marvel show that’s not on Netflix. The only complaint I have is the CGI on the dog Lockjaw, and it still comes of as endearing.

I think part of the critical panning came from the Imax run of the first episode. It was just good enough for TV, but I doubt it would have looked very good on an Imax screen, and that is where the early reviews came from. The visuals of the series are not what is turning me off to it, though. I have problems with it from a fan perspective.

First of those problems for me is with Medusa losing her hair. I was enjoying the show until that point, but they totally lost me when Maximus was able to cut her hair off with a perfectly normal electric razor, while Medusa was made helpless by a couple of guys holding her arms. Just no. Medusa's hair is as strong as steel, no ordinary blade, much less electric clippers, is going to do the trick. Her prehensile hair would be far less powerful if anyone with a blade could simply cut through it. Also, even when her hair is cut off occasionally in the comics, she still has control over it. She controls it with a psychic field, or some equally powerful plot device. Finally, Medusa also has super strength, owing to that psychic field, so she isn't going to be easily held down by a couple of guys holding her arms. Not only that, but her hair was free the entire time. Of course, I know that they cut her hair off because it was just too difficult/costly to animate it properly, but that is more of an argument for not turning Inhumans into a TV series to begin with. It should have been left as a feature length film. But, if you are going to go this route, do what they have already done in the comics, have her hair fall out because of a disease, which conveniently suppresses her other powers as well.

Medusa aside, the series is not that great at showing/explaining the powers that the major Inhumans have. I doubt that very many people who have only seen the series thus far could say much about the powers that Maximus, Triton, Karnak, or Crystal actually possess. With Maximus, that is probably not a big deal, as part of the Inhumans story has always been that Maximus was very good at concealing his powers, which are all about mentally manipulating others. On the other hand, cluing the audience into this would go a long way toward explaining how he was able to pull off the coup against Black Bolt so easily. The other Inhumans don't have to catch on to it, but the audience should be aware. Triton has very little screen time in the first episode, so that is probably not that big of deal either, as he is basically just the Inhumans version of Aquaman (minus the ability to control marine animals), or Namor (minus the quasi-evil intent). Crystal's power is elemental manipulation, but I don't see how anyone would come to that conclusion, given how they depicted her powers in the premier. Karnak, however, I am not sure what to think. In the first scene where he used his power, I thought it was pretty cool how they depicted it, he is a master tactician with the ability to see the flaws in any opponent or plan (as it relates to combat). When I told my wife that I thought it was a cool depiction of his power, her response was that she thought his power was the ability to rewind time. Unfortunately, I think a lot of viewers would have come to the same conclusion.

I will probably give it another episode, or two, to see if it gets any better, but I mostly checked out on that first episode when they cut Medusa's hair off.

Is Inhumans set in the same world as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D or is it its own thing entirely?

Is Inhumans set in the same world as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D or is it its own thing entirely?

The first scene in Inhumans, where Triton is trying to rescue an Inhuman on Earth is a nod to events in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and their involvement with terrigenesis. There is also some speculation that the season 4 finale for AoS, which ends with Coulson in space, is setting up a crossover between the two series. Joss Whedon has said, however, that no crossover is planned, even though all of the Marvel TV shows technically exist in the same shared universe. If Inhumans survives the first season, I would expect the two shows to meet in a crossover in the second season of Inhumans, given they both air on ABC, but that is a big "IF".

No 'Survivor' fans?

It's not about surviving on a tropical island ten minutes removed from civilization.

But doesn't the knowledge that it's extremely creatively edited and full of manipulation, take some of the fun out of it? The whole thing about a reality show is that it's supposed to show reality, ie people's real reactions to things. But reality shows don't. Which defeats the point a bit, doesn't it?

For example, for the Biggest Loser, off camera all contestants are relentlessly bullied and terrorised by staff, just to push them more to the breaking point. Just so it's better TV. We don't get to see any of that. Which makes it hard to understand what they're reacting to.

I agree. My wife is a big fan of "Fixer Upper" with Chip and Joanna Gaines, a cute married couple who renovate a house for someone. In every episode, they show the guests three houses, spell out what kinds of remodeling they can do, and weigh the pros and cons within the guests' budget.

Then we have a few minutes where the guests debate on camera which of the three houses they want to buy and get renovated. There's even some side action between the Gaines as they speculate which house will be chosen. "I think they'll pick the Eighties Ranch with the big backyard." "Wrongo, peanut-butter breath, they're going for the split-level closer to her office."

It's all artifice. You can't even get onto the show until you've closed on your house. The other two houses in the mix are just for show so that amateur actors can pretend to strongly weigh the size of the bedrooms versus the tiny kitchen. They are no more considering the other two houses than if they were model homes in another country.

No 'Survivor' fans?

But doesn't the knowledge that it's extremely creatively edited and full of manipulation, take some of the fun out of it? The whole thing about a reality show is that it's supposed to show reality, ie people's real reactions to things. But reality shows don't. Which defeats the point a bit, doesn't it?

For example, for the Biggest Loser, off camera all contestants are relentlessly bullied and terrorised by staff, just to push them more to the breaking point. Just so it's better TV. We don't get to see any of that. Which makes it hard to understand what they're reacting to.

Oh, I understand all that and I know there have been bitter complaints about the editing. Contestants have complained that the way they were portrayed is not remotely the person they are.

I guess so be it - you know what you're signing up for.

I still love the interactions and the personalities.

Joss Whedon has said, however, that no crossover is planned.

Considering the positive reception fro the Arrow/Flash/Legends/Supergirl crossovers, I'm almost certain a crossover is in the works. Both Marvel and DC comics are rife with monkey see monkey do.

Joss Whedon has said, however, that no crossover is planned.

Considering the positive reception fro the Arrow/Flash/Legends/Supergirl crossovers, I'm almost certain a crossover is in the works. Both Marvel and DC comics are rife with monkey see monkey do.
The question is timing. DC "Berlanti-verse" crossovers usually split between the series and air at the same time. So for example, first Green Arrow shows up in Flash, and then Flash shows up in green Arrow for part two. The Marvel series are not airing at the same time, that's why they couldn't do that with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and Agent Carter, though Carter did make a brief appearance in SHIELD. I believe S.H.I.E.L.D is on a hiatus for a while and it's unsure what the future of either that or the Inhumans is, so it's not certain if they'll even have the opportunity for a proper crossover.

Inhumans

The critics seem to be hitting this hard, but I can’t see why. It’s seems to be as good as any Marvel show that’s not on Netflix. The only complaint I have is the CGI on the dog Lockjaw, and it still comes of as endearing.

It's about on par with Agents of Shield, but not as good as Agent Carter.

Of course, I never liked the comic book, so my opinion may be skewed. Mostly I just like the dog and Kamala Khan.

Has anyone seen Gifted yet?

The question is timing. DC "Berlanti-verse" crossovers usually split between the series and air at the same time. So for example, first Green Arrow shows up in Flash, and then Flash shows up in green Arrow for part two. The Marvel series are not airing at the same time, that's why they couldn't do that with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and Agent Carter, though Carter did make a brief appearance in SHIELD. I believe S.H.I.E.L.D is on a hiatus for a while and it's unsure what the future of either that or the Inhumans is, so it's not certain if they'll even have the opportunity for a proper crossover.

AoS isn't really on hiatus, they are just delaying the start of season 5 until after Inhumans season 1 finishes airing. It was ordered by ABC back in May, and they will begin airing the 22 episode 5th season in November.

Inhumans

Of course, I never liked the comic book, so my opinion may be skewed. Mostly I just like the dog and Kamala Khan.

Yes. The first episode was very good. It reminds me a lot of the first season of Heroes, given the theme of mutants on the run, and the high school aged kids and their family who are the series focus. I also think Natalie Alyn Lind, who plays the daughter in the family, looks a lot like Hayden Panettiere. I haven't reviewed it yet, as I am waiting to watch a few more episodes to weigh in, but it is definitely worth a watch. My only gripe so far is that they are a bit inconsistent with Blink's ability to control her teleportation power, but they are also giving us a version of Blink who was never in the X-Men. This could mean that they are setting up an arc for her learn how to gain better control over her power, or that it is just too difficult/costly to do the CGI for it, so they are setting things up to avoid having to do that very often. I am hoping for the former, but the pessimist in my feels that it is more likely the latter.

Santa Clarita Diet, 6/10; A Netflix dark comedy series starring Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant. Barrymore's character is a suburban mom that turns into a functioning zombie. She looks normal, i.e. she's not grey with rotting flesh etc, she just has cravings to eat human flesh. The family try to keep things looking as normal as possible while keeping the zombie fed by killing bad people. It's very silly but has a certain charm to it.

AoS isn't really on hiatus, they are just delaying the start of season 5 until after Inhumans season 1 finishes airing. It was ordered by ABC back in May, and they will begin airing the 22 episode 5th season in November.

Hiatus

2 a :an interruption in time or continuity :break; especially :a period when something (such as a program or activity) is suspended or interrupted

Hiatus

2 a :an interruption in time or continuity :break; especially :a period when something (such as a program or activity) is suspended or interrupted

With regard to a TV show, "hiatus" would typically refer to a break in the regular production/filming of the series, not a one or two month delay in the airing of the series. This is why I said "not really on hiatus", as a strict definition of "hiatus", like the one you provide above could be used to describe the shift in when the season will air, but with a TV series it generally means something else.

Regardless, I wasn't sure exactly what you meant by "hiatus", and my intent was to inform, not to disagree for the sake of argument.

Yes. The first episode was very good. It reminds me a lot of the first season of Heroes, given the theme of mutants on the run, and the high school aged kids and their family who are the series focus. I also think Natalie Alyn Lind, who plays the daughter in the family, looks a lot like Hayden Panettiere. I haven't reviewed it yet, as I am waiting to watch a few more episodes to weigh in, but it is definitely worth a watch. My only gripe so far is that they are a bit inconsistent with Blink's ability to control her teleportation power, but they are also giving us a version of Blink who was never in the X-Men. This could mean that they are setting up an arc for her learn how to gain better control over her power, or that it is just too difficult/costly to do the CGI for it, so they are setting things up to avoid having to do that very often. I am hoping for the former, but the pessimist in my feels that it is more likely the latter.

I just saw the first episode. I didn't like the writing (people's reactions just didn't feel right), but I'll hold judgment to see if it gets better. I might watch it just because they have Blink and Lorna and Thunderbird.

Gifted update:

I'm still not crazy about the writing in that people keep making decisions that don't seem like decisions real people would make in those circumstances, but after watching the second episode, I realized that with X-Men properties, as long as they use the subtext to say something of value about racism and the nature of racism, I can forgive and overlook a lot. I'll keep watching the show. It's nowhere near on the same level as Legion, but I'll keep watching it.

At least they get the racism part right, and are using that to make commentary that is relevant to what's going on in the world right now.

Oh, I understand all that and I know there have been bitter complaints about the editing. Contestants have complained that the way they were portrayed is not remotely the person they are.

I guess so be it - you know what you're signing up for.

I still love the interactions and the personalities.

I compare reality shows with any other work of fiction. As dramas these are weak. Dialogue is atrocious. Critical dialogue is left out, which makes people's behaviour seem random. That's bad story telling. Twists are not clever. Subplots are non-existent. The humour is basically slapstick. All fiction is dependent on the willing suspension of disbelief. This is no difference. It's not that.

I'd argue that these shows are completely dependent on maintaining the illusion that these people really are the way they are being depicted. I enjoyed these shows until that illusion was busted. Now I don't. Now I just think they're silly.

Back
Top Bottom