• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Finished Season Two of Daredevil. Very enjoyable. I've been letting these things take a while, one episode a week. Makes it a bit better having to wait.

The one question I have is 'Why does Daredevil seem to think severe brain trauma (that he constantly provides his victims) with is in any way superior to death?'

On to The Defenders (and my umpteenth run through of DS9).

Season 1 was more political because they actually made brief mention of gentrification in some of the subplots, but Daredevil stories are more interesting when Matt[ent]mdash[/ent]who desperately wants to see the world in black and white terms[ent]is forced to deal with all the greys in the world, and season 2 did a much better job of tormenting Matt in this regard.

Just watched two episodes of season 2 of Jessica Jones.

The first episode was a bit slow because they took time reintroducing all the old characters, explaining what they've been up to, and starting new storylines for them, but once things start swinging it's as good as I remember season 1 being.

BBC documentary on lady Ada Lovelace:

Spoiler: the reason she didn't remain obscure is because Alan Turing discovered her work and felt she was a kindred spirit.

I'm also up to episode 5 of Jessica Jones. Still amazing. The supporting characters that returned are all still amazing.

Halfway through Jessica Jones myself. I agree, the side characters and how their motivations are fleshed out, combined with the detective story makes it interesting even in absence of excessively powerful superhumans. Maybe a bit too much time is spent with sex and soap opera but that's tolerable.

I'm a bit disappointed that Jeri Hogarth's greek tragedy from season 1 seems to be forgotten almost completely and she's back to being a self-centered bitch.

Ditto on the JJ - so far, so good.

I just re-watched the three parts of the "Long Shadows" documentary by Cambridge History prof David Reynolds. I think it remains one of the best documentaries I've seen about the politics of the last century. Most of my fellow Americans don't seem to care much about Europe before WWII, but what happened before, during and after WWI has had more impacts on our daily lives and modern geopolitics than most of us realize.

Jessica Jones (season 2)
10/10

Gotta use the high end of the review spectrum sometime, and Jessica Jones is as deserving of it as any tv show. I'm also sure that this is likely to split opinions between those who love it and those who think it was too slow, but I'm definitely in the former camp. Season 1 was already the best Marvel/Netflix series, and even if season two doesn't have a villain as villanous as Kilgrave, it makes up for it with in-depth characters and the fact that it's completely different from any other superhero television series out there. As Jessica sets out to investigate IGH from season 1 and a mysterious death of a superpowered individual, it starts off fairly predictably, but soon defies the genre conventions and turns into a film noir detective story, then a very personal character study. There are side stories involving a very fitting continuation to Patsy's hero's journey, and Jeri Hogarth dealing with some life-altering changes of her own, which are pretty interesting in their own right and echo the same themes of human connectedness and purpose as Jessica's dilemma.

If you're looking for cool fight scenes or lots of different superpowers, I recommend to adjust your expectations (or checkout Daredevil and Punisher instead). Take Jessica Jones as a detective story, and you'll get your money's worth.

Jessica Jones (season 2)
10/10

Gotta use the high end of the review spectrum sometime, and Jessica Jones is as deserving of it as any tv show. I'm also sure that this is likely to split opinions between those who love it and those who think it was too slow, but I'm definitely in the former camp. Season 1 was already the best Marvel/Netflix series, and even if season two doesn't have a villain as villanous as Kilgrave, it makes up for it with in-depth characters and the fact that it's completely different from any other superhero television series out there. As Jessica sets out to investigate IGH from season 1 and a mysterious death of a superpowered individual, it starts off fairly predictably, but soon defies the genre conventions and turns into a film noir detective story, then a very personal character study. There are side stories involving a very fitting continuation to Patsy's hero's journey, and Jeri Hogarth dealing with some life-altering changes of her own, which are pretty interesting in their own right and echo the same themes of human connectedness and purpose as Jessica's dilemma.

If you're looking for cool fight scenes or lots of different superpowers, I recommend to adjust your expectations (or checkout Daredevil and Punisher instead). Take Jessica Jones as a detective story, and you'll get your money's worth.

I used to work for a national PI firm, and I have to say that someone on that show really did some research into how private investigators really operate.

For example, in season two there was that moment when one PI was trying to investigate another PI and got spotted.

Most PI's are incredibly paranoid that someone is investigating them. They convince themselves that they're being watched even when they're not. They deliberately choose offices and homes that would be hard to surveil without being noticed. If one PI actually does investigate another PI, there's a lot of pride on the line. The one doing the investigating is going to try to not get caught to prove that they are better, and of course the target is constantly on the lookout for possible surveillance out of paranoia that can only come from spying on private citizens for a living.

The look that was exchanged was perfect.

There's other stuff too. Jessica frequently does what PI's call "pretext calls" in which you call someone up and lie to them in order to weasel information out of them, such as offering fake prizes to get someone to rat out someone who doesn't want to be found. At the national PI firm I worked at, they had dedicated pretext investigators who did nothing but pretext calls all day long. I used to listen in on them because they were terrifyingly good at deception. If any of those guys decided to become a scam artist, no one would be safe. Anyway, the pretext calls Jessica makes are quite authentic and convincing for me, and I've heard real pros do it.

This is probably a weird and pointless detail that most people won't care about, but I happen to know a little about it and I'm occasionally impressed with the show in this regard.

But yeah, it's not about the punching. It's mostly about the characters.

Jessica and Trish are both pretty damn fucked up in their own way, and their friendship is deliciously complicated.

Nailed It, a Netflix Original.

I don't know how to rate it. It's just fluffy entertainment, but oh so hilarious. Much like the usual baking contest shows, but with a twist. The contestants don't really know much about baking and they're given crazy complicated projects to do. No one nails it, ever, but all you have to do to win is make your cake a little less shitty than the other two contestants'. The idea for the show came from all the Pinterest projects that people try and fail miserably at. Very funny lighthearted TV.

edit: OH, and they win real money. Winner gets $10,000!

Last edited:
Jessica Jones, Season 2
9/10

Far and away my favorite of the Marvel-Netflix shows. It's very light on the action and heavy on character and a little bit of psychodrama with some film noir thrown in. If not for her tendency to break into places using her superstrength, you would barely know this was a superhero story at all.

Season 1 focused strongly on women's issues and I loved it for that, but this season mostly just explored Jessica's character, the side characters, and what everyone has been up to. And I loved it.

The showrunner Melissa Rosenberg has stated that she screwed up Dexter by healing the main character (the show got boring after that), and she has vowed the same thing won't happen to Jessica Jones. She has been true to her word. She does have a character arc and does become less flawed in some ways, but she's still surly, bitter, screwed up, drinks too much, and surrounded by other people just as screwed up in their own ways as her.

She ends the season and it looks like she's actually forming a decent, loving relationship with a decent guy and his kid, but in the process of getting there, she drove away and alienated every single other person who mattered to her, including her adopted sister/best friend Trish.

By the way, for those of you curious, Trish did indeed end up with unspecified superpowers teased at the very very end of the season. She seems to have different superpowers, but they weren't too specific about it, and she did sort of "die" in the process of getting her powers, although that was from flatlining after a scientific procedure instead of the wacky death and resurrection from the comic books. No doubt she will become Hellcat during Luke Cage season 2 or Jessica Jones season 3.

Oh, one other difference from season 1. In season 1, Trish had her life much more together than Jessica. In this one, Trish is just as screwed up as Jessica. At times that's touching, at others horrifying.

OK, so after seeing some reviews, I see one common complaint that is a mild spoiler, so I'll put it in a HIDE tag

There is no traditional villain to the season.

We start out thinking that there is a villain everyone is hunting down, but that turns out to be just another very screwed up person who happens to be screwed up in a way that results in a body count. Some people don't like the fact that we don't have a traditional villain for Jessica to defeat, just a series of problems to resolve (often badly given that Jessica and the people around her are pretty screwed up).

Kilgrave is done in a way that we don't really know if he is just some hallucination that Jessica dreamed up due to emotional duress or if somehow there is actually a piece of him buried in her psyche somewhere (you never know villains who have telepathic powers in the Marvel universe). Either way, we have an excuse for David Tennant to appear in future episodes, and that makes me happy.

Anyway, I like that Jessica Jones is less "comic book-y" than other Marvel Netflix shows. I guess some people aren't enjoying that aspect of the show.

The Defenders - three episodes into it. Very very very hard to not just keep streaming this. The show feels odd because the story telling is broken up between the four heroes. I also find it funny, you have Super Hero, Super Hero, Reluctant Super Hero, and whiny ass super hero. Yes, it is important to have contrast to make things more interesting, but Danny Rand really seems like a puss compared to the bad asses he's along side with.

Anything David Tennant makes me happy. :)
OK, so after seeing some reviews, I see one common complaint that is a mild spoiler, so I'll put it in a HIDE tag

There is no traditional villain to the season.

We start out thinking that there is a villain everyone is hunting down, but that turns out to be just another very screwed up person who happens to be screwed up in a way that results in a body count. Some people don't like the fact that we don't have a traditional villain for Jessica to defeat, just a series of problems to resolve (often badly given that Jessica and the people around her are pretty screwed up).

Kilgrave is done in a way that we don't really know if he is just some hallucination that Jessica dreamed up due to emotional duress or if somehow there is actually a piece of him buried in her psyche somewhere (you never know villains who have telepathic powers in the Marvel universe). Either way, we have an excuse for David Tennant to appear in future episodes, and that makes me happy.

Anyway, I like that Jessica Jones is less "comic book-y" than other Marvel Netflix shows. I guess some people aren't enjoying that aspect of the show.

The Defenders - three episodes into it. Very very very hard to not just keep streaming this. The show feels odd because the story telling is broken up between the four heroes. I also find it funny, you have Super Hero, Super Hero, Reluctant Super Hero, and whiny ass super hero. Yes, it is important to have contrast to make things more interesting, but Danny Rand really seems like a puss compared to the bad asses he's along side with.

Defenders is not what I hoped for.

On the plus side, season 2 of Luke Cage is going to be Heroes for Hire according to rumors, and that's a much more fun crossover than Defenders, especially if Misty, Colleen, and Jessica get involved.

Also, a lot of people have been clamoring for Daughters of the Dragon. That could also be fun whether as a B story in Iron Fist or a separate show on its own. Wasn't Valkyrie involved with the Daughters at some point? That would be a fun cameo.

Pretty Little Liars - 2/10

Wifey and I were looking for a new Netflix show to watch and we stumbled upon this. It's kind of a standard teeny-bopper drama centered around this group of friends who had a friend of theirs murdered and now somebody is sending them texts containing things which only she knew and they swing back and forth between trying to find out clues and completely ignoring the fact that a killer is stalking them. It's almost interesting, but they deal with plot holes by simply making the main characters SO fucking dumb that it's just unbelievable. It makes it difficult to accept the premise of this killer manipulating events because it would require his plan to include the fact that these girls will go and do the dumbest things possible in every conceivable situation. The killer is also a tech genius ninja with the superpower of invisibly being everywhere at once. I have no doubt that when they finally reveal who he is, they will completely fail to explain how he managed to do 90% of the magic shit he does in order to annoy some teenaged girls who lose interest in him as soon as the next dance or midterm comes along.

The weirdest thing about the show, though, is that one of the main characters is a 16 year old girl who's having sex with her English teacher. The fact that he's a teacher having sex with one of his underage students is not presented as a negative in the show. They're passing that off as the negative reaction to that as one of the relationship challenges they need to deal with in order to express their true love as opposed to someone committing statutory rape. I really don't know how this got past the network censors and it took me five or six episodes before I realized that Professor Rapey is a protagonist in the show and not one of the bad guys.

I'm continuing to watch it, not so much out of enjoyment but more because it's kind of fun to watch it ironically.

Lucifer - 9/10

We've been watching this show since it first started and it just keeps getting better. Granted, it's a vast departure from the source material (which was excellent, itself!) but it's made it's own story and somehow manages to keep me invested in every character on the show. This is helped by the fact that every one of the actors nails their character, there's not a one I don't find interesting and want to know more about ... even the constantly dour Chloe. They really need more of the young actress playing her daughter, Trixie. She lights up every scene she is in and performs in a believable way not many child actors can pull off.

Lucifer - 9/10

We've been watching this show since it first started and it just keeps getting better. Granted, it's a vast departure from the source material (which was excellent, itself!) but it's made it's own story and somehow manages to keep me invested in every character on the show. This is helped by the fact that every one of the actors nails their character, there's not a one I don't find interesting and want to know more about ... even the constantly dour Chloe. They really need more of the young actress playing her daughter, Trixie. She lights up every scene she is in and performs in a believable way not many child actors can pull off.

I gave up somewhere early season 3. When does it start getting better?

I gave up somewhere early season 3. When does it start getting better?

Early in season 3 wasn't the best, granted. The "Sinnerman" stuff does end up having a nice payoff as the season goes on and the episode "Off the Record" is one of my favorites for picking up on little things dropped throughout the series.

Roseanne 7/10

I enjoyed this 2 episodes in. If you liked the original, you should like this. Same humor and style. The timely angle here is Roseanne and Jackie feuding over the election. They handle it well.

Back
Top Bottom