• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

The witch was talking about Robert's bastard kids. All three of Cersei's are Jaime's.

The minute I saw a trailer for the series, AFTER I saw a documentary about Tut that depicts him with woman-ish hips, a belly, sunken chest, an overbite and a club foot that all his medical exams indicate he had, the series looked laughable.

Yeah, Tut warrior king. The poor guy had a collection of canes to walk with.

Shame that our series nowadays can't depict a historical male figure as hero unless he's a warrior or macho man because they assume people won't find the historical figure as he really was interesting.

Guess that means the PBS/BBC series I, Claudius will never be remade.

Why remake perfection? This remake trend going on now is often just idiotic.

True.

Since I wrote this review I've been dusting off my old knowledge about Tut and his family (the Amonhoteps). It's chock full with drama and intrigue... not to mention INCEST. The reality of that family has got everything for the juiciest of TV-shows. I don't get it why they don't just play it straight? They can have sexy hot guys and gals taking off their clothes. The excellent series Marco Polo has got barrels and naked flesh yet resisted making Kublai Khan a buff hunk. If they can do it somebody should be able to make Tutankhamun work.

But then Marco Polo as a historical figure who went to China is debatable.

Since I wrote this review I've been dusting off my old knowledge about Tut and his family (the Amonhoteps). It's chock full with drama and intrigue... not to mention INCEST. The reality of that family has got everything for the juiciest of TV-shows. I don't get it why they don't just play it straight? They can have sexy hot guys and gals taking off their clothes. The excellent series Marco Polo has got barrels and naked flesh yet resisted making Kublai Khan a buff hunk. If they can do it somebody should be able to make Tutankhamun work.

ha ha. That old chestnut. My stance on historical drama... as long as it doesn't violate known established facts and its narrative liberties doesn't break history as we know it.. I'm fine. If the experts can't agree on whether or not Marco Polo went to China then I'm ok with it. Also, Marco Polo didn't actually have any known impact on history. He can be removed or added without anything happening. Thus, he is the perfect vehicle for a historical drama.

Tut's physical disabilities is important to... well... history. It matters.

ha ha. That old chestnut. My stance on historical drama... as long as it doesn't violate known established facts and its narrative liberties doesn't break history as we know it.. I'm fine. If the experts can't agree on whether or not Marco Polo went to China then I'm ok with it. Also, Marco Polo didn't actually have any known impact on history. He can be removed or added without anything happening. Thus, he is the perfect vehicle for a historical drama.

Tut's physical disabilities is important to... well... history. It matters.

I think the worst historical inaccuracy for me was Mel Gibson deciding to film the Battle of Stirling Bridge... without the fucking bridge. How in the sweet squirrel-fucking fuck does anyone decide that it would be a good idea to film the Battle of Stirling Bridge without the fuck-mothering bridge?

I can overlook a lot, I like to think. I was able to overlook the blue war paint, kilts being worn centuries before Scots actually started wearing kilts. Heck, I think overall, it was a decent movie.

But the bridge. The fucking bridge that the fucking battle was named for. Seriously.

Bridge.

Fuck.

I'm sorry to hear that Tut sucks. I suspected it would but one can always hope.
It is a shame, because I like all four of the main actors. Nonso Anozie would be great as Horemhab. I was rather hoping Kingsley would play Akhenaten: A short, powerful cameo that he could nail and preserve his dignity, however the series went afterwards. But Ay is my second choice.

Recently I've watched several episodes of the most recent CSI spinoff - CSI:Cyber. It's even sillier than the other shows of that franchise. It's about a squad of computer experts whose job it is to investigate Internet related crime and it's just very silly in how it portrays the technology them and the criminals use to fight and perpetrate Internet crimes.

I love watching the CSI shows. They're so inane. I watched one a while back where they were on the track of the murderer and the only evidence they had was grainy black and white video footage of the victim just before she was murdered. The murderer remained out of the frame but his shadow can be seen as the victim walks past the camera. One of the CSI dudes figures out that because the human eyeball is reflective and the murderer is standing in the shadows as the victim walks toward him, the murderer might be reflected in her eyes. So they some in by a factor of fifty on the pupil of one of her eyes, on bog standard CCTV security camera footage, and of course the result is a blurry pixellated mess. Then he suggests to click on the magical enhance button, and hey presto!, the image magically transforms into a crisp clear reflection of the murderer reflected in the victim's eye! In fairness, they couldn't see his face, but they could make out enough detail to identify an object he was carrying which allowed them to identify who he was and capture him. You have to laugh when watching stuff like that.

It seems that every time they have a photo or video footage, the same thing happens. They give it to their imaging tech guy, who does his best to zoom in on what they want to see, but the result is just too low resolution to make out any necessary detail to help them further. Then what always happens is that the boss man CSI guy says "have you tried enhancing it?". The video tech guy, who apparently always forgets that his computer has a magic button than can turn low resolution CCTV footage into glorious high definition IMAX footage, clicks the enhance button, and the blurry mess on screen becomes crisp and clear and detailed and shows them exactly what they need to see.

I'm sorry to hear that Tut sucks. I suspected it would but one can always hope.
It is a shame, because I like all four of the main actors. Nonso Anozie would be great as Horemhab. I was rather hoping Kingsley would play Akhenaten: A short, powerful cameo that he could nail and preserve his dignity, however the series went afterwards. But Ay is my second choice.

I watched half of the first episode. It was as if the makers had a goal to make it as stupid as possible, as quickly as possible. I was willing to overlook the first Stupid. Then the second, then third, and by the time I deemed it unwatchable it was no more than halfway through. One should expect a lot of artistic license when watching shows/films like this. But artistic license is a term that's not meant to permit using source material as a shit-filled piñata.

Anyway;

Mr. Robot

The first two episodes of this show were fucking cool. The last three have been ... I don't really know. They've been more akin to visual sedatives than the intriguing hacker series it looked to be.

Homeland - 9/10

Watched the first three seasons. It's quite good. The premise is that a CIA agent (played by Claire Daines who's excellent in this) gets a tip from one of her informants that a US POW has been turned by Al Quaida. Soon after that, an army raid against an Al Quaida facility finds a Marine who's been held in captivity for eight years. He's paraded around America with everyone seeing him as a hero except for Daines who's sure that he's a terrorist and about to launch an attack against the US. It's very well written with a lot of deep and dynamic characters and interesting plot twists. It also delves into a lot of issues such as PTSD and mental illness and goes through a lot of trouble to flesh out the motivations of terrorists and doesn't simply present them as generically evil for the sake of evil.

Highly recommended.
I keep pondering whether to get Showtime for a month to catch Season 4. The first three seasons were really good. I also like how complicated everything is instead of the us good, them bad angle.

I just finished watching the three seasons of Orphan Black. Typical of conspiracy shows, the plot was getting a bit complex and one wonders how coherent the original vision was that the creators had, but it was very enjoyable to see Tatiana play so many characters and often the show didn't take itself too seriously.

Now I'm watching Sense8, made by J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5) and The Wachowskis (The Matrix). It's interesting and captivating. Not sure where it's going, ulitimately, but certainly well done.

These are generally the kinds of shows I like (soft sci-fi that exists in our world v. hard sci-fi with galactic empires etc.), so if anyone has suggestions of well-made shows like these I'd appreciate the input.

I just finished watching the three seasons of Orphan Black. Typical of conspiracy shows, the plot was getting a bit complex and one wonders how coherent the original vision was that the creators had, but it was very enjoyable to see Tatiana play so many characters and often the show didn't take itself too seriously.

I LOVE Orphan Black. Amazing actress who can play so many roles that after a while, you DO forget they're really not different people. Fun and crazy series that can also get pretty dark and bloody.

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit 6/10

It's contemplative and sweet, full of likable characters with just the right amount of action thrown. I want to like it. I really, really want to like it, but I'm bored out of my gourd.

I LOVE Orphan Black. Amazing actress who can play so many roles that after a while, you DO forget they're really not different people. Fun and crazy series that can also get pretty dark and bloody.

Very enjoyable and entertaining. Is there going to be a season 4?

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit 6/10

It's contemplative and sweet, full of likable characters with just the right amount of action thrown. I want to like it. I really, really want to like it, but I'm bored out of my gourd.
I always felt that the start of the series was pretty awesome (With some pretty awesome fights and well paced scripts) and then it just kinda fizzled out a little more each epoisode until the end

Orange is the New Black

Yes, I'm behind the times on this one so I've been binge watching it to avoid thinking about the end of my period of free time that's fast approaching.

Anyway, great first season, but the second season is slipping into shit I don't care about. Things are taking too long to resolve and gaping holes have opened up in the plot. But I'll keep watching because I don't want to think about anything right now.

Anyway, great first season, but the second season is slipping into shit I don't care about. Things are taking too long to resolve and gaping holes have opened up in the plot. But I'll keep watching because I don't want to think about anything right now.
it resolves most of the BS by the end and then the 3rd season perks back up and is good again.

I finished sense8 (I thought it was very well done, with high production value and great atmosphere) and now I'm about four episodes into the first season of Continuum now. It's not bad, but I'm not sure I'm sold on it yet.

Homeland - 9/10

Watched the first three seasons. It's quite good. The premise is that a CIA agent (played by Claire Daines who's excellent in this) gets a tip from one of her informants that a US POW has been turned by Al Quaida. Soon after that, an army raid against an Al Quaida facility finds a Marine who's been held in captivity for eight years. He's paraded around America with everyone seeing him as a hero except for Daines who's sure that he's a terrorist and about to launch an attack against the US. It's very well written with a lot of deep and dynamic characters and interesting plot twists. It also delves into a lot of issues such as PTSD and mental illness and goes through a lot of trouble to flesh out the motivations of terrorists and doesn't simply present them as generically evil for the sake of evil.

Highly recommended.
I keep pondering whether to get Showtime for a month to catch Season 4. The first three seasons were really good. I also like how complicated everything is instead of the us good, them bad angle.

I think season four held up. I think it was just as good as the preceding seasons. Go for it. And now season five is in the works.

Back
Top Bottom