• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

The story; ... where to begin. It´s horrendously confused and often stupid. It´s virtually impossible to keep track of time lines. I still haven´t figured out if they live in a deterministic universe or if they can actually change stuff. To make time-travel movies work the time-travel gimmick needs to be intelligently handled. It all needs to come together toward the end.... in each episode. In this series they don´t give a fuck. If there´s a plot hole... just throw in some time travel thing and fix it. It just ends up being a mess.
I haven't seen the show, but this is usually my main issue with all the time travel crap. If they are making a tv show or a movie that is about time travel, the least they could do is make it logically consistent, as it can never be scientifically consistent anyway. An exception to the rule is shows that just use it as plot device to whisk people away in a different setting (like Doctor Who, or the Outlander probably).

Like Flash Forward from a few years back. At first, it seemed liek nothign cold be changed. But then they went ahead and changed things. And in the final episode, went back to not changing things. Imagine a legal drama that used the same rules... in one episode, murder is a crime! Then in next episode, it isn't. And in third episode the judge is wearing a wig and quoting hammurabian law to order the protagonist to serve as a butler for the DA.

Watched the first two seasons (6 episodes total) of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror on Netflix.

Think Twilight Zone or Outer Limits for the 21st Century. The wiki page calls it "techno-paranoia" - that's about right.

Well worth your time...

Just watched it all, good description. Finally, a good TZ remake.

Community Season 2
Just about finished season two and I still find this show enjoyable

Captain America (1944)
Did you know that you can get the 1940's Captain America serial
Because you can..... and it isn't too bad
Dick Purcell is likeable as CA, the action is all quite fun and it seems well put together so far (I'm not finshed it yet)
So if you like old movies/T.V then I would say give this one a watch

Adventures Of Superman (1955)
I found this show to be incredibly boring
Mostly because Superman only ever seems to be in each episode for about 10 seconds, with the rest of the show being people doing random stuff

Sense8 on Netflix

I'm only about 3/4 of the way through the first season, but I have to say that it is decent. I will give a warning that if certain people don't like homosexual kissing on their TV programs (coughmojorisingcough)...then the homosexual sex on this series will probably give them a heart attack.

Sense8 on Netflix

I'm only about 3/4 of the way through the first season, but I have to say that it is decent. I will give a warning that if certain people don't like homosexual kissing on their TV programs (coughmojorisingcough)...then the homosexual sex on this series will probably give them a heart attack.

The only thing that annoys me about the scenes with the gay guy is all the RAPAPA.

I watched the premiere of Hannibal, Season 3 last Thursday.

Delectable as always. I adored Red Dragon and have reread that book many times. So this show is just amazing.

Sense8 on Netflix

The only thing that annoys me about the scenes with the gay guy is all the RAPAPA.

What is RAPAPA? I can't find any references to it online.

I finished the rest of Sense8 season 1 on Netflix. It actually is quite good. The Wachowskis are back! It'll be interesting to see where they go with Season 2 based on the finale (if it is picked up for a second season).

I got sucked into it last year, and it's back.

American Ninja Warrior

No, there aren't any actual Ninjas. Or warriors. Just athletes taking on an absurd obstacle course lit up like the rigging at a rock concert and with announcers commenting on the action that make the loudest X-Game announcers sound like they're hosts on NPR.

Lots of bright colors, screaming crowds, and folks acting like this is the most important contest on the planet, and...it is oddly compelling. For every "why are the people on my television shouting at me?" moment, there's a corresponding "oh crap, these people competing are amazing." Not professional athletes, mind you. Just people who have trained for months to take on this ridiculous course and maybe win a slot at the finals in Vegas.

From what I understand, it started in Japan.

The History of the World Backwards or, if you prefer, sdrawkcaB dlroW eht fo yrotsiH ehT

The premise here is that, while time is lived forwards, it's measured backwards. So, if you were born in 1966, and died at age 50, you'd have lived until 1916. Inventions and discoveries "expire" at the date we'd normally associate with their first appearance: Columbus leaves America in 1492 to go back to a Spain about to experience the beginning of an Islamic revival, for instance, and the inventions of the information age are lost in the 1990s, sending us back into analogue tech from the 1980s onward (or backward). You get the idea. Right?

I agree with the youtube uploader of the six episodes of this show, who said it was "more clever than funny", although it did have its moments. Particularly striking, to me, was the idea of Moses ascending Mount Sinai to give God the Ten Commandments, instructing him to not kill and suchlike, and to be faithful to his people and not start running around gathering new nations unto Him, kind of thing. But moments like that were few and far between, and what could have been a very good platform for humour was subsumed in a smug puddle of its own cleverness for the most part.

I'd give it 5/10

The History of the World Backwards or, if you prefer, sdrawkcaB dlroW eht fo yrotsiH ehT

The premise here is that, while time is lived forwards, it's measured backwards. So, if you were born in 1966, and died at age 50, you'd have lived until 1916. Inventions and discoveries "expire" at the date we'd normally associate with their first appearance: Columbus leaves America in 1492 to go back to a Spain about to experience the beginning of an Islamic revival, for instance, and the inventions of the information age are lost in the 1990s, sending us back into analogue tech from the 1980s onward (or backward). You get the idea. Right?

I agree with the youtube uploader of the six episodes of this show, who said it was "more clever than funny", although it did have its moments. Particularly striking, to me, was the idea of Moses ascending Mount Sinai to give God the Ten Commandments, instructing him to not kill and suchlike, and to be faithful to his people and not start running around gathering new nations unto Him, kind of thing. But moments like that were few and far between, and what could have been a very good platform for humour was subsumed in a smug puddle of its own cleverness for the most part.

I'd give it 5/10

I don´t think that was the problem. The speaker had zero timing. The comedians in it were unfunny. I couldn´t spot a single punchline that worked. I didn´t even find it clever. They could have explored sociological theories behind the events. That would have been funny as fuck. And they could have used it as a platform to mock contemporary society. Then it would have had the potential of being poignant and clever. I´ve heard more cleverly constructed comedy in bars, from drunk people at three in the morning. To me it fell completely flat in every regard.

Just finished That 70s Show.

Pretty funny show about a group of teenagers living in Wisconsin during the late 70s. It gets slow from time to time and probably should have wrapped up two seasons before it did because they ran out of ideas and even some of the main actors got bored of it and wandered off, but an entertaining series all in all.

8/10

I got sucked into it last year, and it's back.

American Ninja Warrior

No, there aren't any actual Ninjas. Or warriors. Just athletes taking on an absurd obstacle course lit up like the rigging at a rock concert and with announcers commenting on the action that make the loudest X-Game announcers sound like they're hosts on NPR.

Lots of bright colors, screaming crowds, and folks acting like this is the most important contest on the planet, and...it is oddly compelling. For every "why are the people on my television shouting at me?" moment, there's a corresponding "oh crap, these people competing are amazing." Not professional athletes, mind you. Just people who have trained for months to take on this ridiculous course and maybe win a slot at the finals in Vegas.

From what I understand, it started in Japan.

Yes, it's from Japan.

The Japanese version has slightly different rules that make it much more difficult and much more demanding.

What is RAPAPA? I can't find any references to it online.

I finished the rest of Sense8 season 1 on Netflix. It actually is quite good. The Wachowskis are back! It'll be interesting to see where they go with Season 2 based on the finale (if it is picked up for a second season).

Really? You've watched the entire season and don't know what I mean when I'm talking about RAPAPA in relation to the gay actor character? :confused:

It's the sound he makes when he gets confused or upset and tries to get back into character for his acting.

I watched the first 2 seasons of The Walking Dead when they were originally on TV, but lost interest for no particular reason after that even though I was thoroughly enjoying it.

I decided to get back into it and have just binged my way through season 3 and am about to start season 4. Really enjoying getting back into it. 9/10

Drop Dead Diva - 5/10

A vain and shallow fashion model dies in a car accident but manages to come back down to Earth in the body of a fat woman. She's now a lawyer working in the same law firm as her ex-fiancee, whom she can't tell that she's back from the dead because of reasons. The first couple of seasons are really funny and clever, but then it kind of falls off a cliff. The show actually got cancelled and then picked up by a cable network who only had a fraction of the budget and the difference in quality is noticeable.

I watched the first 2 seasons of The Walking Dead when they were originally on TV, but lost interest for no particular reason after that even though I was thoroughly enjoying it.

I decided to get back into it and have just binged my way through season 3 and am about to start season 4. Really enjoying getting back into it. 9/10

The story was interesting but the gory sound effects of Zombie feeding time was just too much for me.
I'm sensitive like that.

Ascension

A mini series from 2014 that apparently aired on the SyFy channel. It is on Netflix streaming.

Premise is that 51 years ago, a secret ship was launched on a multi-generational mission to Proxima Centauri. The 600 people on board the ship (the size of the Empire State building) are halfway through their journey, and are (at least socially) stuck in 1963. With a staff of stewardesses, square-jawed Air Force types in charge, and an apparently endless supply of martinis, but it is all thrown into chaos by a murder...something the crew has never experienced and don't have the resources to handle.

Of course, all is not what it seems.

The show is SyFy, so the production values are middling, but the plot twists are handled well, and the story - at first seemingly filled with good looking heroes - unfolds like an onion being peeled away. The best part? It is only six episodes long. The worst part? It doesn't appear to be coming back for more.

Broadchurch Season 2 9/10

As good as season 1. Excellent story. Bonus was the courtroom drama. I mean, all this and courtroom action? Excellent! I had to gig them a point. Half because there wasn't enough of the courtroom action and half for mumbling.

Sense8
3/10

Actually, I only saw parts of episode 12, but it was so underwhelming that had to put this review in. Basically, imagine a low budget Cloud Atlas without the epic plot. And stupid ass switching of actors in the middle of action. And a world where helicopters cannot fly through 10 meters of thin fog. I'll probably watch all the episodes at some point and may revise my review then, but so far, it doesn't look too good.

Wayward Pines
7.5/10

Produced/Directed by M. Night Shyamalan, and starring Matt Dillon, I wasn't sure what to expect with this show, and nearly passed it by. I started hearing good things about it, so I binge watched the first 4 episodes. Dillon does a great job in the lead role as a Secret Service agent investigating the disappearance of two other agents in Idaho. Juliette Lewis and Terrence Howard also have starring roles, Lewis as a bartender, and Howard as the intimidating Sheriff, and both turn in great performances. What could go wrong with such acting talent in a TV show? Well, M. Night Shyamalan being involved could go very wrong, but fortunately that is not the case with Wayward Pines. Maybe the TV format suits Shyamalan better than the movies he often produces, giving him more time to develop the characters before going crazy with the plot. Or, maybe it is just great writing. Either way, it is working for me so far. Not too many twists to the story so far, but you can tell they are coming, and hopefully they won't spoil the show for me. I rated it at 7.5 for now, but it could go higher, or dip lower, depending on how the season plays out.

Back
Top Bottom