• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What would count as proof of God

No.

Bilby is claiming that any god that interacts with humanity in any way would only be able to do so using one of the four known forces that are the only things that can possibly interact with humans.

I'm wandering if the tester readily had monitoring equipment in place, somehow, forecasting exactly where a God interaction claim, a miracle claim or similar claim, would spontaneously happen, just at the right place and right time? Assuming God is not going to come to the lab on your request.

And that therefore god's interactions with us would have been detected, easily.

When you look for something, knowing exactly what you are looking for and how to see it, and you never find it, then (if you are sane) you conclude that it's not there.

I was wondering what one would actually be looking for. What type of disturbances in the field, so to speak, would be noticeable and expected? Sounds like you have a "text-book" expectation for any creator of a universe to be noticed.

I'm pondering on the thought that by merely looking at the universe, which is systematically running as clockwork (considering the universe is created.). Does God neccessarily need to be pulling levers and strings; shovelling coal into the furnace engine, so to speak, so that you should expect to notice some creator indication? God would have included self-perpetual automation in my view, in concept.

No.

Bilby is claiming that any god that interacts with humanity in any way would only be able to do so using one of the four known forces that are the only things that can possibly interact with humans.

I'm wandering if the tester readily had monitoring equipment in place, somehow, forecasting exactly where a God interaction claim, a miracle claim or similar claim, would spontaneously happen, just at the right place and right time? Assuming God is not going to come to the lab on your request.

And that therefore god's interactions with us would have been detected, easily.

When you look for something, knowing exactly what you are looking for and how to see it, and you never find it, then (if you are sane) you conclude that it's not there.

I was wondering what one would actually be looking for. What type of disturbances in the field, so to speak, would be noticeable and expected? Sounds like you have a "text-book" expectation for any creator of a universe to be noticed.

I'm pondering on the thought that by merely looking at the universe, which is systematically running as clockwork (considering the universe is created.). Does God neccessarily need to be pulling levers and strings; shovelling coal into the furnace engine, so to speak, so that you should expect to notice some creator indication? God would have included automation in my view, in concept.
If I claimed that there is an invisible creature living in my attic, that this creature has the ability to break the laws of nature and interfere in our lives, and that this creature never, ever does anything that could be detected by humans, would a reasonable person believe this claim? The answer is obviously "NO". How is an alleged god any different from the alleged creature in my story?

I'm pondering on the thought that by merely looking at the universe, which is systematically running as clockwork (if considering the universe is created.). Does God neccessarily need to be pulling levers and strings; shovelling coal into the furnace engine, so to speak, so that you should expect to notice some creator indication?
How is this god any different from a god that does not exist? How could you possibly differentiate between the two?

What have feelings got to do with it? Agnosticism is a philosophy for people who think with their brains instewd of their heart and spleen. A hard path, but honest.
You are implying intellectual superiority and uniqueness. How convenient. We can discuss that when you stop beating your wife.
Agnosticism is the only honest stance for people who don't know. But there's a difference between not knowing because nobody knows, and not knowing because your education isn't sufficient.

The gulf between 'I do not know' and 'it is not known' is enormous and ever widening; It's not been possible for a single individual to know all of the things known to humankind since at least the Neolithic.

It IS known that no gods that intervene in Earthly or human events are possible. If Politesse doesn't know that, that's just a gap in their education. It's OK; We all have those.

If someone asks you what the capital of Burkina Faso is, it's perfectly reasonable to reply "I don't know".

It's NOT reasonable to reply "It is unknowable, and all honest people would admit that". Particularly when people are waving maps of Africa in your face, and you are ignoring them because you don't think mere geographers could possibly answer what you have ignorantly declared to be a purely philosophical question.

That the capital of Burkina Faso is not an unknowable philosophical mystery is obvious to anyone who knows geography. That the existence of gods, ghosts, souls, and a whole bunch of other supernatural phenomena is also not an unknowable philosophical mystery is obvious to anyone who knows physics.

Agnosticism today is the art of ignoring people who tell you it's Ouagadougou, in order to preserve your self image as brave enough to declare all geographers to be pompous fools who claim to have forbidden and impossible knowledge.
I remain, as always, interested in any meaningful, coherent argument for atheism (not in the form of bluster). I have not made any argument against Burkina Faso's capital being Ougadougou. I am aware that a great many people believe as you do.

What is the claim, in fact, that would apply to atheism, but be rationally equivalent to "Ougadougou is the capital of Burkina Faso"? How would you state it, in form "x is the y of z"? What obvious, researchable empirical fact am I overlooking?
There cannot be any unknown forces that can act on matter at scales larger than an atomic nucleus, and smaller than a solar system.

The implications of this are unavoidable, when considered logically. They rule out the gods described by all of the popular religions of human history.
You are neglecting to look at the fact that, if the universe is an operation happening on a piece of "superphysical" hardware, with each particle served by one or more process cores once per frame of time, with messages dispatched to logically "adjacent" process cores, and all represented in their quantum numbers literally by some digital value...

It does not matter what forces and patterns of behavior and physics are operant within the behavior of the system.

To do something all the god has to do is change the numbers on the hardware by whatever means they have, entirely outside the normal rules of the executing process.

There is no rule in the physics of Dwarf Fortress, no visibility from within it's time dimension or possible interactions, that could cause my arrow flying through the air to hit something on the other side of a wall short of it not being a wall but a "fortification". To get around this, just tell the os from an entirely different non-dwarf-physics process to flip a bit on physical memory. Now without apparent, and entirely without physical cause (though retaining superphysical causality), the arrow is on the other side of the wall.

This is, in fact, one of the reasons I isolate "god" to "creator god" or at least to "not specifically bound as a player purely and solely extant in the simulation": only this class of entity gets a side channel past the requirements of physics.
Gods aren't said to merely be able to do these things though.

They are said to actually do them. And constantly. Every prayer, every death where a soul transfers to the afterlife, every miraculous intervention, would violate the rules - which is perfectly possible for your "god" to do - but which would leave all these unexplained events; A close look at reality would reveal stuff that doesn't conform with the rules as we understand them to be.

We looked; No such stuff occurs.

The god you describe might well be possible, but it's not any of the gods any of the world's religions have ever posited. And it wouldn't be undetectable; It's effects on reality would be inexplicable but not absent.
As I've pointed out, it doesn't matter what gods are said to do. What matters is evidence of what they actually do.

You are in addition making many assumptions about "the rules".

Gods in mythology are said to do things. Gods in the mythology of my world are said to do things, too. I learn a great deal of what they are said to do just watching the denizens build their statuary and carve their reliefs. Sadly, they don't really talk about historical events.

The thing is, generally they don't.

And let's be clear here we are not talking about "my god". Assuming I'm not "The God, capital G nice to meet you," and let's be clear I really hope I'm not because hoooooooo boy would I have some 'splainin to do... Well, I am personally the god I am talking about. I repeat I am not the god of this universe. Or at least I hope I'm not. It would be a really asshole thing to do to be a god of a whole universe that was any more complex in the thoughts of it's denizens than an ant farm.

I can point at a universe. I created it. It has physics, and denizens, those denizens have states and are hosted into a state machine, and as such make choices on the basis of their personality traits...

If there was complex enough agency code behind the denizens they may even be capable of learning, growing, and so on. They're not; they don't have to be for the sake of this discussion.

The point is, if they were more capable of it, I know that I most certainly would not be an obvious god. I mean history is littered with stories both real and made up and something between of something trying to reveal truth and getting killed for it.

I've written stories where a god spawns in and gets killed a few times for the trouble of being what it is. And let's be clear, when I do spawn in, into the world that I created, it is into the body of a freshly materialized sociopath that nobody questions the arrival of and I promptly wander off into the wilderness to find a shallow pool and pray I don't drown. If I survive that, it's on to mutilating horses, and then eating them when I get tired and hungry.

Then I go on an adventure, kill something big and scary and legendary and really easy to kill and then rob a civilization of priceless treasures it has produced across the span of some 40-60 years and with likely tens or hundreds of lives lost to madness and siege.

And the fact is, assuming we can't see gravity or other such waves caused by the appearance of person-sized masses here even as late as 30 years ago, it's as undetectable as it needs to be.

The bigger tell is seed manipulation, and we can't understand that... So, something just occurred to me.

There was an experiment done on a quantum replay where a particle was shoved back into a prior state comprised of it's original constituent particles following a probability wave collapse. When it destabilized again, it destabilized along the same collapse vector, if I recall properly.

It may be possible to detect such an event perhaps by seeing if it ever does, in fact, start resolving along a different trajectory? Perhaps set up similar switches elsewhere and even trilaterate such events?

It wouldn't test for all circumstances; if the resolution of the event is uncoupled from it's gravitational bindings, for example. It would be fascinating, regardless to see if there are such events as cause shifts in the probability wave collapse patterns of things.

But it's not like you could easily track down someone just materializing one day in the wilderness in 1200bce, mutilating some horses, and then fucking off to join an army. It wouldn't even track on the radar.
Then it's a good thing for my position that gods, by definition, do stuff that people notice.

I am disinterested by the silly game of "Well, none of the gods invented so far exist, but I can invent one that nobody's ever believed in before that manages to squeeze through the gaps in your otherwise sound argument against theism".

Nor are theists interested, if they are being honest. Christians might like arguments such as yours, because they allow them to say "See! God is possible after all!", while ignoring the less pleasant fact that vast swathes of things in every version Christianity are demonstrably NOT possible.
The point is to demonstrate that those who DO believe in gods have not thought about it well, and those who believe gods do not exist have not thought about it well either*.

What we should be asking is "what type of gods may exist" and ask ourselves if we want to tolerate that at all.

You cannot demand that entities have particular properties. I have demonstrated incontrovertibly that they do not require these properties.

I have indicated a set of properties they may have, and it does not look good for either the atheist or the theist.

That's not my problem; that is the problem of both theist and atheist.

I set goalposts in concrete as per the thread title, then a knocked a ball clear over them. Love it or hate it, that's on you. It isn't my problem, really.

*The gnostics did, but few gnostics are arguing from a position of "I've seen the phenomena happen with my own two eyes".

The entire basis of logic is that if someone thinks of something that squeezes through the gaps of your argument for impossibility, then your argument for impossibility is wrong.

Disproof through counterexample is valid.

For example, it seems implausible that any honest monotheist would espouse an argument for the existence of gods, that has Jarhyn's godhood as a premise.
My argument is not one for monotheism. It proves zero or more gods are possible for any universe that may be simulated within some other universe.

You proposed exactly zero gods are possible. This is clearly false via disproof through counter-example.

Furthermore, I intervene in some people's lives. Actually intervening in some people's live is, in fact, hard. Most often it's easier just letting time in the universe tick forward imperfect and do it "the meaty" way, or I guess for me, in my universe, "the dwarfy way".

The point here is that I accomplish everything I do as just another person, normal as any other; that I am not special except in the mind I possess. Usually the god powers are to just prevent utterly stupid shit from ending a really nice run, like an acorn falling and somehow cracking my skull.

Or because I'm sick of throwing additional corpses into the shallow pool near the fortress and freaking out the dwarves with an inexplicable instance of folks just walking out and trying to learn to swim.

Or... because I feel bad for the horse.

Last edited:
He is saying that

1. There are only a limited number of ways in which a god can intervene in human affairs. Four to be exact.
On the basis of what information? This isn't how gods are normally discussed, and I presume he didn't test this experimentally. Are you positing that God is some sort of physical organism existing within the observed universe and subject to its laws? Like, a giant space lion or something? Why would a god be confined to the types of natural interactions you describe, if it is indeed a god?

He is saying that

1. There are only a limited number of ways in which a god can intervene in human affairs. Four to be exact.
2. These four ways are fully documented and quantified by the Standard Model.
3. The Standard Model has been rigorously tested and demonstrated to be sound.
4. If there were gods intervening in human lives, these interactions would be easy to detect and study, since the methods of interaction are well understood.
5. Of the countless number of observations we have made of phenomena that affect human lives, we have zero observations of any phenomena that could be attributed to gods intervening in the lives of humans.

The proposition that Bilby and I are arguing is that it is grossly unreasonable to believe in gods that intervene in our lives, because all the evidence we have tells us that they don't.

And furthermore, that the Standard model is absolutely true beyond any possibility of error?
There is nothing we know with absolute certainty, and nobody has made that claim. Nor is absolute certainty the standard by which most people assess the reasonableness of truth claims.
I reject premise 1. It has been incontrovertibly proven as a metaphysical property of universal simulation that someone with access to the hardware can stop it and change the values represented therein.

I don't argue for the Christian god. When I debate I don't argue what I see as a clearly wrong proposition; to do so would be bad faith.

I instead honestly investigate metaphysical ideas that are proven through physical instantiation.

One of those disproves premise 1.
He is saying that

On the basis of what information? This isn't how gods are normally discussed, and I presume he didn't test this experimentally. Are you positing that God is some sort of physical organism existing within the observed universe and subject to its laws? Like, a giant space lion or something? Why would a god be confined to the types of natural interactions you describe, if it is indeed a god?
In fact my experimentation reveals that this is a disproven metaphysics.

There is another way: shutting the thing off, making changes, and turning it back on again.

He is saying that

On the basis of what information?
That there are exactly four possible interactions between humans and the rest of reality.
This isn't how gods are normally discussed,
No shit. This has nothing particularly to do with gods. It's about the physics of humans and their environment.
and I presume he didn't test this experimentally.
My budget won't stand it. But those who have particle accelerators have tested it experimentally.
Are you positing that God is some sort of physical organism existing within the observed universe and subject to its laws? Like, a giant space lion or something?
Nope, quite the reverse. I am saying that humans cannot be interacted with by gods that are not existent within the observed universe. That's because humans ARE existent within the observed universe.
Why would a god be confined to the types of natural interactions you describe, if it is indeed a god?
It's not. But humans are. And a god that can't interact with reality is indistinguishable from nonexistent.

For example, it seems implausible that any honest monotheist would espouse an argument for the existence of gods, that has Jarhyn's godhood as a premise.
My argument is not one for monotheism. It proves zero or more gods are possible for any universe that may be simulated within some other universe.

You proposed exactly zero gods are possible. This is clearly false via disproof through counter-example.

Furthermore, I intervene in some people's lives. Actually intervening in some people's live is, in fact, hard. Most often it's easier just letting time in the universe tick forward imperfect and do it "the meaty" way, or I guess for me, in my universe, "the dwarfy way".

The point here is that I accomplish everything I do as just another person, normal as any other; that I am not special except in the mind I possess. Usually the god powers are to just prevent utterly stupid shit from ending a really nice run, like an acorn falling and somehow cracking my skull.

Or because I'm sick of throwing additional corpses into the shallow pool near the fortress and freaking out the dwarves with an inexplicable instance of folks just walking out and trying to learn to swim.

Or... because I feel bad for the horse.
My point is that it's the arguments of many, likely a majority, of theists today that monotheism is correct.

Given their stance, it's unlikely that they would want the support of your 'proof' that you are a god, because they are convinced that there's only one god, and that it ain't you.

Your whole schtick here misses the point. The very idea of gods is solely a result of historical theistic claims. To propose a "possible god" that doesn't fit those claims is to redefine what "god" even means.

Your idiosyncratic god concept isn't disproven; But neither is it accepted by any religions not invented within our lifetimes. So it's not a god at all, as far as any non-trivial sect of any faith is concerned.

I understand how impressed you are by your own brilliance in creating universes, and drawing dubious conclusions by analogy about ours from them; But it's all completely irrelevant to the actual positions of theists, so in this context it's just pointless noise, that serves more to confuse than to clarify.

TL;DR: STFU, or go post in one of the threads about how the universe we inhabit is probably a simulation, of which we have several.

Your hobbyhorse isn't relevant, helpful, or meaningful in this discussion; And only you are interested in turning this into the discussion you would clearly rather be having.

He is saying that

On the basis of what information?
That there are exactly four possible interactions between humans and the rest of reality.
This isn't how gods are normally discussed,
No shit. This has nothing particularly to do with gods. It's about the physics of humans and their environment.
and I presume he didn't test this experimentally.
My budget won't stand it. But those who have particle accelerators have tested it experimentally.
Are you positing that God is some sort of physical organism existing within the observed universe and subject to its laws? Like, a giant space lion or something?
Nope, quite the reverse. I am saying that humans cannot be interacted with by gods that are not existent within the observed universe. That's because humans ARE existent within the observed universe.
Why would a god be confined to the types of natural interactions you describe, if it is indeed a god?
It's not. But humans are. And a god that can't interact with reality is indistinguishable from nonexistent.
I am not quite sure how to get across to you that insisting something is so is not the same thing as demonstrating it.

Given their stance, it's unlikely that they would want the support of your 'proof' that you are a god, because they are convinced that there's only one god, and that it ain't you
It's not a proof that I am a god. I mean it is that... But moreover that proof that I am a god also happens to be proof that their assumptions are false. In fact that most people's assumptions about it are just sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

Your whole schtick here misses the point. The very idea of gods is solely a result of historical theistic claims. To propose a "possible god" that doesn't fit those claims is to redefine what "god" even means.
No, it really does not. My concept of gods is entirely informed by an actual set of observations.

I find it silly you want to discuss things nonsense and then claim the nonsense does it exist. Of course the nonsense does not exist except as such.

I do not deal in nonsense. Adjacent to all that nonsense is a concept of 'god' that is not, in fact, nonsensical.

I am not the one who makes those claims so conveniently, I do not have to defend them.

I have to defend my claims.

About a model of god that I have defined well and clearly. If you wish to discuss other models of God, there are another few that exist but again, not the way you would expect.
Your idiosyncratic god concept isn't disproven; But neither is it accepted by any religions not invented within our lifetimes. So it's not a god at all, as far as any non-trivial sect of any faith is concerned
Who gives a duck? I certainly don't.

It doesn't have to be known or believed to be possible, nor does it have to be known nor believed to be real.

I started out on this road by asking "what are gods, exactly? What thing can this idea really map to?"
But it's all completely irrelevant to the actual positions of theists, so in this context it's just pointless noise, that serves more to confuse than to clarify.
See that's where you are wrong. It serves one very important relevancy: it show that they are not only likely wrong (their mythology does not have a necessity of truth behind it), and that their assumptions of what to do with omniscient, omnipotent creator entities are really, really bad.

It's the compromise that everyone hates.

It is proof that "there are zero or more gods", and disproof of "there are exactly zero gods" and disproof of "YHWH is god" and even "god is necessarily omnibenevolent".

Now throw all the tantrums you want or whatever that I've stepped in and made a lot of Atheists and Christians alike very uncomfortable.

You may not like it but the reality is that "is this a simulation, and how do we prove it" is the exact same question as "is there a god and how would we prove it".

Exactly. The. Same. Question.

Cry, weep, gnash your teeth, but it's right there in all it's splendiferous glory.

I feel like the two comments above don’t unerstand the Standard Model yet.

You can define your god as being able to do anything you want, but if it cannot act on us without it being noticed that something happened that was NOT caused by the 4 forces, then, by definition, nothing acted on us.

If we cannot detect that anything happened why would anyone believe that a god(dess)(es) acted at all?

They are trying to describe for you two main observances necessary for a god(dess)(es) claim:
1. Something happened
2. It can’t be explained by normal forces.

And they are pointing out that
A. nothing in human scale has ever happened, ever, that cannot be explained by the four normal forces, and
B. Nothing between atomic nucleus and solar system size is not understood.

Are you trying to claim that A is not true? Are you claiming that you know of acts on humanity, that have occurred, that occurred by a force that could not be described by the four forces?

That’s the part you both don’t seem to understand yet. That in order to argue against the standard model, you must be introducing a known act that affects a human that doesn’t follow it. If you can’t describe that act, then you have nothing. If you have no evidence of that act, then you have nothing.

What is that act?

Say you want to claim, “an afterlife.” What scrap of evidence of any kind do you have that this act happened?
Say you want to claim a purposely directed tornado of fire to punish a sinning town. What scrap of evidence of any kind do you have that this act happened and it was not random?
Say you want to claim that a football game was won due to supplication to a godly entity. What scrap of evidence do you have that non-normal forces made any impact, that a change in the outcome even happened?

It feels like you don’t understand the discussion, or you think it is valid to keep saying that if you can imagine a god acting on humanity, then that is the evidence for it? You press for a test that there wasn’t some divine fifth force - the test is that nothing has ever been seen, therefore all claims of a fifth force have occured - without any evidence of a fifth force or even a gap not explained by the standard four. You press for a test of something that has never happened.

You have to remember that you are claiming this god(dess)(es) interacts with humans. You are making that claim. And you are claiming it is not natural application of the the four forces simply reaction to previous conditions. You are CLAIMING that it is not standard forces reacting to conditions. So you are CLAIMING that a 5th force is at play. And yet, the acts, all of them that we have ever seen, are fully described by the four natural forces acting predictably as reactions to previous conditions.

That’s the gap. You claim a god(dess)(es) are acting. But nothing is happening that is not already fully described.

It’s all already fully described.

If you have something to discuss that is not already fully described by naural forces, please get on with presenting it.

Are you positing that God is some sort of physical organism existing within the observed universe and subject to its laws? Like, a giant space lion or something? Why would a god be confined to the types of natural interactions you describe, if it is indeed a god?
Aren't gods whatever we want them to be? I can keep one in my pocket if I wish.

I feel like the two comments above don’t unerstand the Standard Model yet.

You can define your god as being able to do anything you want, but if it cannot act on us without it being noticed that something happened that was NOT caused by the 4 forces, then, by definition, nothing acted on us.

If we cannot detect that anything happened why would anyone believe that a god(dess)(es) acted at all?

They are trying to describe for you two main observances necessary for a god(dess)(es) claim:
1. Something happened
2. It can’t be explained by normal forces.

And they are pointing out that
A. nothing in human scale has ever happened, ever, that cannot be explained by the four normal forces, and
B. Nothing between atomic nucleus and solar system size is not understood.

Are you trying to claim that A is not true? Are you claiming that you know of acts on humanity, that have occurred, that occurred by a force that could not be described by the four forces?

That’s the part you both don’t seem to understand yet. That in order to argue against the standard model, you must be introducing a known act that affects a human that doesn’t follow it. If you can’t describe that act, then you have nothing. If you have no evidence of that act, then you have nothing.

What is that act?

Say you want to claim, “an afterlife.” What scrap of evidence of any kind do you have that this act happened?
Say you want to claim a purposely directed tornado of fire to punish a sinning town. What scrap of evidence of any kind do you have that this act happened and it was not random?
Say you want to claim that a football game was won due to supplication to a godly entity. What scrap of evidence do you have that non-normal forces made any impact, that a change in the outcome even happened?

It feels like you don’t understand the discussion, or you think it is valid to keep saying that if you can imagine a god acting on humanity, then that is the evidence for it? You press for a test that there wasn’t some divine fifth force - the test is that nothing has ever been seen, therefore all claims of a fifth force have occured - without any evidence of a fifth force or even a gap not explained by the standard four. You press for a test of something that has never happened.

You have to remember that you are claiming this god(dess)(es) interacts with humans. You are making that claim. And you are claiming it is not natural application of the the four forces simply reaction to previous conditions. You are CLAIMING that it is not standard forces reacting to conditions. So you are CLAIMING that a 5th force is at play. And yet, the acts, all of them that we have ever seen, are fully described by the four natural forces acting predictably as reactions to previous conditions.

That’s the gap. You claim a god(dess)(es) are acting. But nothing is happening that is not already fully described.

It’s all already fully described.

If you have something to discuss that is not already fully described by naural forces, please get on with presenting it.
I guess my point is that I described exactly the mechanics by which activity not in any way described or prescribed by natural forces is in fact 'possible' in the metaphysical sense. There's really only one, and that is that our physics would have to be hosted... By other physics of some kind.

At no point do the demands of gods have any impact on how we ought to live with respect to one another, nor even does it impact us in terms of creating ethical obligations towards gods!

Yep. If the word "god" can mean a LOT of different things, so that it can apply to a coder of games as well as to a universal mind as well as to the universe itself as well as to a rock star as well as to some fictional characters in old tales, all depending on the emotional inclinations of whom-the-fuck-ever in any given moment, then it becomes nothing but a vacuous sound that emits from the mouths of some schizotypal apes. The most legitimate use, I'd say, is to reference the mythological fictions like Zeus and Jehovah. Because, again, it's the culture that names their favorite fictional character a "God" and nobody else. Even there it's tentative... after all, why's Zeus a god except some silly Greeks said so? In honor of the social convention upheld through time, I call Zeus a god too... there is no other reason except that it's the tradition.

Are you positing that God is some sort of physical organism existing within the observed universe and subject to its laws? Like, a giant space lion or something? Why would a god be confined to the types of natural interactions you describe, if it is indeed a god?
And why shouldn't you?

Yep. If the word "god" can mean a LOT of different things, so that it can apply to a coder of games as well as to a universal mind as well as to the universe itself as well as to a rock star as well as to some fictional characters in old tales, all depending on the emotional inclinations of whom-the-fuck-ever in any given moment, then it becomes nothing but a vacuous sound that emits from the mouths of some schizotypal apes. The most legitimate use, I'd say, is to reference the mythological fictions like Zeus and Jehovah. Because, again, it's the culture that names their favorite fictional character a "God" and nobody else. Even there it's tentative... after all, why's Zeus a god except some silly Greeks said so? In honor of the social convention upheld through time, I call Zeus a god too... there is no other reason except that it's the tradition.
If they are mythical, why are you considering material phenomena to be the validation or proof of their existence? Myths aren't really in the same class of things as scientific hypotheses, nor are they really meant to be.

If they are mythical, why are you considering material phenomena to be the validation or proof of their existence? Myths aren't really in the same class of things as scientific hypotheses, nor are they really meant to be.
I made a point of semantics about the use of the word "god". I didn't say anything about material proofs; you're having that convo with other atheists. Do we atheists all look alike to you?

But about material evidence... why the heck wouldn't it apply to myths if there are overly literal-minded persons trying to move mythical critters out of mythology and into our shared space of reality?

I made a point of semantics about the use of the word "god". I didn't say anything about material proofs; you're having that convo with other atheists. Do we atheists all look alike to you?

But about material evidence... why the heck wouldn't it apply to myths if there are overly literal-minded persons trying to move mythical critters out of mythology and into our shared space of reality?
It would, obviously. If they wish to confuse myth and science, they most certainly can and should be countered according to the means and method of the sciences. Indeed, I have no objection to applying the scientific method to any subject of inquiry. Many people tell me that my own discipline, which studies human beings from a systematic framework, is illegitimate because human beings are complex beyond the reach of the sciences. I do not agree. Science is observation, refined, and if there is something valid to observe, there is something to apply its methods to.

I am not anti-science, quite the opposite. But I do see blind appeals to Science as some sort of authority figure, or attempts to force it to sign a blank check for any one person's philosophical views, as a betrayal of its core principles.

I do apologize for misrepresenting your position, however, this was not my intention. I thought you were "hopping on", not making an autonomous point, but that was an assumption on my part. No, I do not think "all atheists look alike". Actually, I rarely meet anyone in real life who engages in silly and dishonest proselytization on atheism's behalf, despite knowing a great many atheists. It seems to be a mostly internet-based phenomenon.

That sounds like the no true god fallacy to me.

That sounds like the no true god fallacy to me.
I am baffled as to why you would think so.

Do you think I am arguing that the gods of myth must exist?

Back
Top Bottom