• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What would count as proof of God

Atheists and people who think the Bible is fiction are in the minority. You're about as numerous as the flat earthers.

Hogwash. Look and learn:

View attachment 36656

And meanwhile, "According to YouGov’s report, when asked, “Do you believe that the world is round or flat,” 2 percent of the 8,215 respondents chose “I have always believed the world is flat.”"

So, your claim is bullshit.
Plus, most flat earthers ARE Christians - prove me wrong! :hysterical:
According to Encyclopædia Britannica 2007, 2.3% of the world identifies as atheist.
According to YouGov, 2% of 8,215 respondents chose, "I have always believed the world is flat."

Damn I'm good.

You actually suck, at math at least. For one thing that data is over 15 years old.
More important:
"Identify as atheist" are a minority group among the approximately 68% of all people, the non-Christians, virtually all of whom think your bible is fiction. In fact. most Christians think that other Christians' bibles are wrong. They still fall for the superstition, just a different version.
Just to bring you up to speed, more recently, one 2018 research paper using indirect methods estimated that 26% of Americans are atheists,
And FYI I don't number myself among them.

Have you come up with any rationale for saying evolution looks designed?

You actually suck, at math at least.

That doesn't follow at all. And I bet I'm better at math than you are.

For one thing that data is over 15 years old.

Oh, how much do you think atheism has grown from 2% in 15 years? And why is it only 2% after thousands of years of human history? If it's only 2% after thousands of years of human history, then why would it dramatically increase in 15 years? Use your brain, girl. As I said before, to most people the world looks designed. I hate to break this to you but the atheists are the 'conspiracy theorists' and 'nutters' when it comes to ultimate human origins.

68% of all people, the non-Christians

Non-Christian does not equate to "believes Bible is fiction" or agnosticism or atheism. Stop being silly. You know I'm right.

most Christians think that other Christians' bibles are wrong

Now you're equivocating between Bible translation preference and the source material of the Bible being fiction. Come on, girl... Who do you think you're foolin', girl?

2018 research paper using indirect methods estimated that 26% of Americans are atheists

First of all, without even looking at your source... I know that's bullshit. Everybody does. Even the people in this thread who don't like me who are on your side knows that's bullshit. You know how I know? Because I'm a genius. Now... let me go look up your source to confirm my genius... one sec...

Oh, look at that... straight from your own source, "However, methodological problems have been identified with this particular study since people do not have binary relationships to questions on God and instead have more complex responses to such questions."

Lul. How do I do it? How am I so badass?

Have you come up with any rationale for saying evolution looks designed?

I don't know what you mean by rationale. It looks designed. What more needs to be said? My computer looks designed, too. Do I have a rationale for that? No. But I do have vast amounts of evidence that is outside of its appearance of being designed.

So it's been asked here and within philosophy generally, what would qualify as convincing evidence of God to a skeptic not ideologically inclined to believe?

I thought of something that would be rather compelling. Suppose one day every person on the planet simultaneously saw the face and heard the voice of God in the sky. That voice simultaneously declared to every human some personal fact unknown to anyone but that person, then also told them some personal fact unknown to anyone about a total stranger they never met along with that person's contact information so they could verify it. It wouldn't be surprising to for those who already believe to claim both facts they were told are accurate. But this would mean that every non-believing human would also verify their unique facts, which means many millions of people worldwide. While mass hallucinations can occur, they do so b/c all the people are within a particular shared context and frame of mind. That would be impossible for everyone on the planet at the same moment. I can't think of any possible explanation that wouldn't entail some form of supernatural, either God or at least some moment of unified psychic type consciousness.

Would you find this convincing? If not, what alternative explanation could you give?

The existence of an apparently designed universe like ours.

Living things are also apparently designed (implying a designer) but it turns out they evolved. No designer needed.

Is the universe even apparently designed? Apparently not, unless, perhaps, the designer had a liking for empty space. Ninety-nine percent of the universe is empty space, lethal to all life and utterly uninteresting. To be fair, it‘s not really empty — it’s full of virtual particles, fields, etc. — but for human purposes it‘s a void wasteland.

Funny kind of thing to “design.”
It's a trap either way. What is "apparent" is not a good indicator of what "is" because one thing that most certainly "is" is that the sort of interactions even a simulation creator would undertake would still be detectable (and no, this is not the same as 'theism': theism puts their creators in a much smaller box, and also fails to understand various elements of the metaphysics this would imply).

For instance, I can fairly reliably predict that IF there is a god, there should be the occasional gravity wave popping up from the surface of the earth; any sudden appearance of mass would generate a gravity wave and one we would promptly triangulate to an event here, and we would be Very Curious Indeed!

Now, if they decided to rearrange some stuff that's already here, we would have an electromagnetic wave, or possibly a sound wave that originates from a very curious and sudden absence of a large amount of material in one place and it's presence in other places, or it's removal and exchange of something completely different.

Of course, if it changes distribution of mass, that's still going to make some stuff happen that we can watch.

So, still detectable.

In fact, ANY rearrangement of matter will cause this form of gravitational anomaly, and several other forms of anomaly. Further, there would be a LOT of funky bullshit going on at the chemical level. Observable funky bullshit.

We don't see any of it.

Our universe is made of matter and energy in observed fields that have never in any moment acted in such a way to observably engage in uncaused phenomena.

If you wish to demonstrate a 'god' or a 'demon' or whatever the fuck else you think you can trick us into thinking you actually believe in (and if you do so believe, that's cute, good for you!), Then produce it. Shouldn't be too hard, and hey, there are a few Nobel prizes and probably a number of other more "Trololol" prizes offered for the doing.

I can demonstrate the reality of any thing I claim exists, and can generally describe the core model by which it exists as a phenomena.

I would at least find it amusing to watch them scratch their ass at actually trying to describe the nature of a demon, not just what They think it wants and why but what it actually is or how it's mind functions as a mechanism, or even if they could deliver a sensible understanding of what they actually think it gets out of its goals and how those goals actually serve it's existence.

But they won't.

These are too difficult of concepts for most religious people I have encountered, and for that matter most backwater internet trolls, to understand. Honestly, they escape a lot of the "rational free thinkers" and "infidels" here.

There are zero or more 'gods'. If anyone wishes to rule out 'zero' you have to produce at least one.

Managing that, you then have to convince me, someone who has actually done exactly the thing you claim was done to create the universe* so as to create a different subordinate one; that the goals of such an entity are necessarily benign, acceptable, or in any way compatible with the rest of the claims.

As far as I see it even "intelligent creator god" just gets you as far as "some selfish shlub who knows how to turn a computer on". Some such schlubs would likely be like me. Some would be demonstrably worse.

*define a set of rules, and a set of algorithmic behaviors to implement those rules on a platform which, when so implemented, provide a general framework for internally driven causality),

Also, sorry @pood, I may have meandered in my mind from responding to you, to responding to the other one.

Evolution does not look designed. I’ve already explained that.
Yes it does, which is why we're able to rationally discern it, explain it, make predictions, etc.

If evolution were apparently undersigned, arbitrary, or chaotic, then one would think it'd be extremely difficult to understand if not impossible to understand, explain, and predict.
The rest is just bafflegab
That's a pretty bad argument, bro. My faith in God has just grown 10-fold. Are you mad?

Wow, 10-fold no less! Man, your faith must have been pretty shitty until I showed up. Could it be that I am God? :unsure:

Evolution does not look designed. I’ve already explained that.
Yes it does, which is why we're able to rationally discern it, explain it, make predictions, etc.

To say that the process of evolution looks designed is a meaningless statement.

At least, it seems, you accept the fact of evolution, so I suppose that makes you better than a YEC.

Evolution occurs — it must occur — when organisms reproduce with variation in an environment that is constantly changing. In that case, some variations will be better in a given environment, whereas others will be worse. We can identify the better variations because they tend to spread, increasing the fitness (reproductive success) of the populations that possess those particular variations. This is an entirely natural, partly stochastic process that has no mind, intent, or design behind it.

Therefore your claim that evolution looks to be a designed process is false. Perhaps you are trying to say that dear Jesus made it be so that organisms reproduce with variation, and made it be so that such organisms face changing environments that select for, or against, particular variations — which, if this is what you mean, it is no different from saying, “Jesus made the world.” If that is your claim, please provide evidence to support it. So far you have provided zero (0) evidence.

By your own logic, of course, if a process looks to be natural, then we assume it is natural until a defeater can be found for the claim. In the case of evolution, though, we know that evolution does not just appear to be a natural, undirected process, we know that it is.

Also, this discussion about whether most people think the bible is fiction is meaningless. Even if most people did believe the bible is not just true, but literally true (and most people don’t) that would be standard and fallacious argument ad populum and would have no bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim.

Non-Christian does not equate to "believes Bible is fiction" or agnosticism or atheism. Stop being silly. You know I'm right.
They just don't think this thing called a christ is real. It's kinda like a unicorn to them so they recognize christ tales as entertainment, not fact.

It turns out that currently, 31.1 percent of the world population identify as Christian. That means the vast majority of the world does not so identify. Using your own fallacious ad populum logic, we can conclude that the bible is fiction, because most people believe that it is.

So you can either abandon agrumentum ad populum or concede that the bible is fiction because 68.9 percent of the world population believe it is fiction.

In the meantime, you might ask yourself: What would a universe that was NOT designed look like?
Wouldn't one anticipate chaos, if anything?
Not at all. See: deterministic chaos.

What it comes down to is that one can always assume design, if one is so inclined, no matter what the universe, or any system within it, looks like. Why does a rock roll down a hill? Because Jesus designed it that way!

But in fact, without a standard of UNdesign, it is impossible to tell what is designed and what is not. If everything can be said to look designed, then by parity of reasoning one can just as well say that nothing looks designed, because it is impossible to tell the difference between the two.

So the actual standard we use for design is HUMAN design, because we know humans design things and why they do so. Hume discussed this centuries ago, about why we cannot make inferences about a designed universe just from examples of human design.

Animals and snowflakes looks designed, by human design standards. But are they? This now becomes an empirical matter, not a matter of design inference. And via empiricism we discovered that animals and snowflakes may look designed according to the human standard of design, the only standard that we have, but in fact are not designed.

Lul. How do I do it? How am I so badass?

Doesn’t your bible say something about “Pride goeth before a fall?” :unsure:
I think he fell.
That would be usual form for a creo. They like to make these little forays into the world of the rational, then retreat to their youtube channels to gloat about how they sent the atheists to perdition.

you can either abandon agrumentum ad populum or concede that the bible is fiction because 68.9 percent of the world population believe it is fiction

Since when are superstitious believers supposed to adhere to those satanic "rules of logic", or indulge in actual discussion?
God gave them permission to be hypocrites in His name, and hypocrites they will proudly be!
Eternal damnation be yours - SO THERE!
Seriously... the brain rot is impressive. Let it serve as a warning.

In the meantime, you might ask yourself: What would a universe that was NOT designed look like?

What it comes down to is that one can always assume design, if one is so inclined, no matter what the universe, or any system within it, looks like. Why does a rock roll down a hill? Because Jesus designed it that way!

But in fact, without a standard of UNdesign, it is impossible to tell what is designed and what is not. If everything can be said to look designed, then by parity of reasoning one can just as well say that nothing looks designed, because it is impossible to tell the difference between the two.

So the actual standard we use for design is HUMAN design, because we know humans design things and why they do so. Hume discussed this centuries ago, about why we cannot make inferences about a designed universe just from examples of human design.

Animals and snowflakes looks designed, by human design standards. But are they? This now becomes an empirical matter, not a matter of design inference. And via empiricism we discovered that animals and snowflakes may look designed according to the human standard of design, the only standard that we have, but in fact are not designed.
You tell me that there is no way to tell between the designed and undesigned, then tell me you are confident that all is undesigned.

You tell me that there is no way to tell between the designed and undesigned, then tell me you are confident that all is undesigned.
That sounds like the argument for a designer from whataboutism.

Speaking personally the clincher against design is that it requires an undesigned designer. That means all the design we allegedly see ultimately comes from no design at all. So why include something as contradictory as an undesigned designer to account for design?

No, I did not say that. I said something very close to the opposite. We KNOW that some things ARE designed: buildings, watches, airplanes, factories, houses, and on and on. But the reason we know these things are designed is because humans design and build them. We know that. What I am saying is that in order to detect design, we must have some standard of design. The only standard we have is human creation, and to a lesser extent the creations of non-human animals. Using this standard of design — the only one we have — we can see that some things in nature look AS IF they were designed, such as the examples I cited: animals and snowflakes. The problem now is we have never seen anyone or anything design or build a snowflake or an animal. So while we know priori that houses are designed (by humans), we must investigate, through empiricism, whether animals and snowflakes are also designed by some kind of designer. Our knowledge of this, if we can obtain it, will be a posteriori. And we have obtained that knowledge. It turns out that animals and snowflakes are not designed. They arise through purely natural, undirected processes.

Of course, it remains metaphysically possible that the universe was designed. Again, this becomes an empirical matter. What evidence do we have that the universe was designed? None.

That sounds like the argument for a designer from whataboutism.
No, it was definitely an argument against design, that much was made quite clear.

Our knowledge of this, if we can obtain it, will be a posteriori. And we have obtained that knowledge. It turns out that animals and snowflakes are not designed. They arise through purely natural, undirected processes.
Demonstrate this, and your argument will hold water.

Our knowledge of this, if we can obtain it, will be a posteriori. And we have obtained that knowledge. It turns out that animals and snowflakes are not designed. They arise through purely natural, undirected processes.
Demonstrate this, and your argument will hold water.

Demonstrate what? That animals and snowflakes are not designed?

Evolution

How snowflakes form
Not going to read a vague link, describe the empirical evidence that no designer was involved in the creation of the natural processes you refer to.

Not going to read “vague” links that explain precisely how animals and showflakes arise?

I already said that it is metaphysically possible that Jesus, or Zeus, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Rama-Rama-Ding Dong, designed a universe that contains processes that thereafter naturally unfold and produce life, and snowflakes, and everything else. You’ve got the burden or proof exactly backward. It is not my burden to provide empirical evidence that a hidden designer does NOT exist. One cannot prove a universal negative proposition. If you believe Rama-Rama-Ding-Dong designed the universe, then YOU have the burden to provide the empirical evidence that this is, in fact, the case.

Evidence so far: Zero.

Back
Top Bottom