• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Where and how do you seek God? Or are you an idol worshiper?

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic Christian & esoteric ecumenist

There are so many Gods and Goddesses in forums today that these places begin to look as in the days of Babel. Two camps do seem to be forming though. Those who seek on the left and and those who have found on the right.

Which camp are you in?

If you seek God, where are you looking?

If you have found your God, please supply a name. Show me yours and I will show you mine.

Regards
DL

P.S. Gnosis is knowledge that leads to wisdom. Wisdom is Sophia in our myths. She has faith in you finding her. Thank God Eve ate and Adam had the good sense to do as told and eat as well.

I am not convinced that there is a good reason to worship anything. Also, without a concrete definition for the noun 'god' in this context, there is really no way to answer your question. For most definitions, there is obviously no such thing as god.

I was once a great fan of Joe Campbell. Then, I became a great fan of J. Krishnamurti. Then, I became a great fan of Richard Dawkins. Then, I became a great fan of David Benatar. Each one supplanted the authority I had placed in the last, and made me doubt the validity of any authority whatsoever other than my own conscience.

I do not seek God, nor have I found God, so I'm not sure if your question applies to me. Or, perhaps, you think I am searching for god and just don't want to be honest with myself?

I am an idle worshipper, hardly move from one spot during the whole thing.

What's with the false dichotomy?

Why does anyone need to seek God? Is he hiding? If so, why?

If God actually exists, and wants me to worship him/her/it, then God knows where to find me. I can't guarantee that I will worship God, even if God does appear in front of me, but God is welcome to ask.

If there actually exists anything resembling a "god", then the place to look for it is in the Universe itself. The best way to know the creator is by studying the creation. And our best way to do that is through science, using the sense, reason, and intellect that this god putatively endowed us with.

I use hard evidence in my search for gods and nothing less.

Jesus said he'd rid the world of sin and there's still sin, so that story's clearly a fake.

Odin said he'd rid the world of Frost Giants and I've never seen a Frost Giant, so that's validation for his existence. If anyone's going to dispute that, they're going to need to show me some proof of what it is that they're claiming happened to all the Frost Giants.

General observation. I don't respond well to sort of theist who arrives in a venue such as this, and approaches the community with an air of "I know something that you don't know! Look at me, I'm SO clever! I'm nominally here as a representative of my faith, but it is really about showing y'all I am way smarter than you guys are! Look at me! Look at me! This is really all about ME, look at me!"

General observation. I don't respond well to sort of theist who arrives in a venue such as this, and approaches the community with an air of "I know something that you don't know! Look at me, I'm SO clever! I'm nominally here as a representative of my faith, but it is really about showing y'all I am way smarter than you guys are! Look at me! Look at me! This is really all about ME, look at me!"

'Smarter' may not be the right term. It's more, I think, that someone has worked out a viewpoint for themselves which they think gets around all the problems faced by other theists, and they can't wait to polish it up and bring it out -- but at the back of their minds they have a nasty sinking feeling that maybe it's not so different after all. So we get this kind of cat-and-mouse game where the viewpoint is pushed out a little bit -- then pulled back -- then pushed out a bit more -- then pulled back so the holes that have opened up in it can be fixed -- then pushed out again -- until either it's too riddled with holes to hide behind, or everyone else has simply given up.

'Smarter' may not be the right term.
I think it fits. At least within their self-image.
They've looked at all the evidence we have and they've come to the right conclusion.
Which they have validated, by coming to the right conclusion.
They must be smarter. And until we acknowledge their superiority in this matter, they don't have to share their findings with us.

It's like that jerk in math class who looks at your answer and smiles and says you can work it out for yourself.

The thing about it is, every time someone appears with a new theology, there was already at least one person who's already done the same thing for each denomination out there.

Wait, I have a great cartoon for this somewhere...

Here it is.

I am not convinced that there is a good reason to worship anything. Also, without a concrete definition for the noun 'god' in this context, there is really no way to answer your question. For most definitions, there is obviously no such thing as god.

I was once a great fan of Joe Campbell. Then, I became a great fan of J. Krishnamurti. Then, I became a great fan of Richard Dawkins. Then, I became a great fan of David Benatar. Each one supplanted the authority I had placed in the last, and made me doubt the validity of any authority whatsoever other than my own conscience.

As all thinking people should.

Man being his own supreme being is basically what Gnostic Christianity is all about.

Keep thinking as you are.You already seek your greater self within so I have nothing to teach you.

Regards
DL

I do not seek God, nor have I found God, so I'm not sure if your question applies to me. Or, perhaps, you think I am searching for god and just don't want to be honest with myself?

I think we all seek an ideal in ourselves and others and some call that ideal God.

I call it seeking the best rules to live by, --- be they religious or secular rules and laws.

This poet starts out well but then he himself falls into idol worship.

He describes God fairly well though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SkZg1ZflpJs

Regards
DL

Why does anyone need to seek God? Is he hiding? If so, why?

If God actually exists, and wants me to worship him/her/it, then God knows where to find me. I can't guarantee that I will worship God, even if God does appear in front of me, but God is welcome to ask.

I do not think we need to seek God. Most of us seem to if you check the stats. Mind you, I think that within that "most" in religion do not really follow their religion but just follow custom and the traditions of their tribe. It has nothing to do with God when you look close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2VjdpVonY

Regards
DL

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps.

This idol worshiper will not agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SkZg1ZflpJs

What do you name supreme?

Regards
DL

Good question. An idol is just something to remind us of the gods, a place for them to hang out when they're among us. People using idols to find their gods are not distinct from people who seek gods.

Eh. No.

Seekers will accept better laws as they have no God corrupting their judgements.

Idol worshipers cannot.

Have a look at how that works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeOfzN8ZTAM

Regards
DL

If there actually exists anything resembling a "god", then the place to look for it is in the Universe itself. The best way to know the creator is by studying the creation. And our best way to do that is through science, using the sense, reason, and intellect that this god putatively endowed us with.

No argument.

I think they are looking hard and one may have found the cosmic or universal consciousness I think I found. This clip shown more or less what I believe. No conclusive proof yet though.

http://vimeo.com/26318064

Regards
DL

If you have found your God, please supply a name. Show me yours and I will show you mine.

You theists always say that, but you're just little teases. They always say they can show it, but they never do.

Indeed. Show might have been the wrong word but is logically sound if I just think of the name being shown.

I do not mind Christian theists not being able to show us their genocidal son murderer of a God. We already have enough pictures of Satan around.

Regards
DL

Back
Top Bottom