• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Politics Where are you really from?

I'm certain that Metaphor has his own reasons for clinging to that position but I do not think they are based on his belief that he has faced the exact same circumstances as Fulani faced with Hussey and doubtless, in other situations.
I think a quote from Oscar Wilde succinctly summarizes your conclusion it is the triumph of hope over experience.

I would think that not waiting for the elderly racists to die out to move forward is a good thing.

It may be worth mentioning that apparently Harry and Megan encountered some rather racist inquiries into the complexion of their first newborn child, emanating from within the Royal Family. As far as I can discern from the unavoidable tabloid headlines encountered in the grocery store checkout line, the exact source has never been named. Perhaps we now know: Perhaps it was Prince William’s godmother. If Prince William was loathe to castigate Hussey, however much she deserved it, that might also explain the rumors of aloofness between the two brothers. I’d say that Fulani has been most public minded in clearing up that mystery as well as doing her part to tear down the remaining underpinnings of racism!

Because we all know what those people are like.
Tom
I'm just going to leave this here for the irony.
I can't help but notice the quote mining.
Here's the sentence immediately prior.
If two people behave badly, one white and one black, it's obviously the white one who is wrong.

I don't claim to know what actually happened. Nor does anyone else in this thread know what happened. All we've got is the remarkably detailed and self serving recollection of Fulani.
I can't help but notice the degree to which racist classist bigotry is driving this thread.
Tom

Because we all know what those people are like.
Tom
I'm just going to leave this here for the irony.
I can't help but notice the quote mining.
Here's the sentence immediately prior.
If two people behave badly, one white and one black, it's obviously the white one who is wrong.

I don't claim to know what actually happened. Nor does anyone else in this thread know what happened. All we've got is the remarkably detailed and self serving recollection of Fulani.
I can't help but notice the degree to which racist classist bigotry is driving this thread.
Tom
I noticed exactly the same thing!

Let me get this straight - someone admits to ignorance about what actually happened and then passes judgment on a recollection.

I would think that not waiting for the elderly racists to die out to move forward is a good thing.

It may be worth mentioning that apparently Harry and Megan encountered some rather racist inquiries into the complexion of their first newborn child, emanating from within the Royal Family.

You can't stick 'racist' on to every single act and utterance and make it true. People look at parents and wonder about the phenotype of potential children. It's that simple.

As far as I can discern from the unavoidable tabloid headlines encountered in the grocery store checkout line, the exact source has never been named. Perhaps we now know: Perhaps it was Prince William’s godmother.

There are unsolved stabbings in London too. Prince William's godmother!

If Prince William was loathe to castigate Hussey, however much she deserved it, that might also explain the rumors of aloofness between the two brothers. I’d say that Fulani has been most public minded in clearing up that mystery as well as doing her part to tear down the remaining underpinnings of racism!

I can't tell if you're joking. "Clearing up that mystery"? "Tear down the remaining underpinnings"?

But even if she wasn't messing with Hussey, Fulani seized the opportunity to shame her on social media and then on national television for being rude and oblivious. And still, Fulani is regarded as being the blameless party.
Black people shouldn't publicly complain about rude and bigoted people.
What a strange inference for you to draw.

Let me get this straight - someone admits to ignorance about what actually happened and then passes judgment on a recollection.
Presuming you're referring to me,

I've not claimed to know what actually happened. That's other posters, such as

"Fulani was being more polite and more clever and more professional and socially appropriate than Hussey, a white person."

Possibly so, but that doesn't come across in the OP quotes. Quite the opposite. What I'm pointing out is that everyone one this forum is ignorant about what happened, but there's a ton of judging go on. Based, as far as I can tell, on abjectly racist and classist bigotry.
Tom

My husband’s parents were immigrants. He was born here but learned English in kindergarten.
His “culture” is 100% American. His life learnings are American. There are stories and books and a smattering of remembered language, but his “culture” is not some other location. It’s the one he grew up in.

Part of that is, as pointed out previously, that he was not kept from belonging by appearing different. Metaphor seems to be saying that because Fulani looks different, she cannot become Bristish culture

I did not say that nor do I think that.

, she must always identify with some other place, because she does not, and will never, “fit in” even in the place where she spent her entire life. He seems to dispute that there is a Black British culture, and that she belongs to it. Or that there is a british culture, and it includes the british people who are Black.

If Fulani's parents kept nothing from their childhoods and adulthoods in Barbados whilst raising their children in Britain, and slavishly copied every single British custom, then it might be fair to say Fulani was raised in a 100% British cultural environment. That is not my experience of being a first-generation child though. It's not the experience of my Cambodian friend, whose parents fled the Khmer Rouge, nor the experience of any child I know where both parents were not born in Australia but came here as adults.

"Fulani was being more polite and more clever and more professional and socially appropriate than Hussey, a white person."

Possibly so, but that doesn't come across in the OP quotes. Quite the opposite.
In your opinion which is admittedly based on ignorance. BTW, there was at least one witness who agrees with Fulijani’s take.
TomC said:
What I'm pointing out is that everyone one this forum is ignorant about what happened, but there's a ton of judging go on. Based, as far as I can tell, on abjectly racist and classist bigotry.
Tom
And the irony flows unabated.

Possibly so, but that doesn't come across in the OP quotes. Quite the opposite. What I'm pointing out is that everyone one this forum is ignorant about what happened, but there's a ton of judging go on. Based, as far as I can tell, on abjectly racist and classist bigotry.
Tom
Actually, since you are quoting me without attribution, I will state categorically that you are incorrect. The OP makes it pretty clear that Lady Hussey was rude and inappropriate. Apparently the Royal Family agreed and she has since retired.

I do not doubt that it would be diffucukt fir them to ask someone who has been an intimate of their family fir so many years and is godmother to the heir apparent to set down from her official role. Many or most of us have a much beloved family member or dear family friend who, despite their many lovely qualities, still voices opinions that are racist or otherwise inappropriate. Sometimes the level of racism voiced crosses such a line that feelings are changed and relationships are altered. Hopefully none of us will ever be that relative or family friend.

Actually, since you are quoting me without attribution, I will state categorically that you are incorrect.
I quoted you.
I didn't attribute it because it doesn't matter who wrote those particular words on the forum. The majority of posters have posted similar things.

Let's start at the beginning. Did you actually post that?
Tom

We seem to have a rather schizophrenic attitude when it comes to race and ethnic origins. One the one hand, its apparently uncool for Hussey to enquire about Fulani's ethnic origins. And in fact, its considered "racist". But when it comes to hiring someone or admitting them to, say, medical school, it seems to be very important to know this information. So, I'm kind of curious how someone who hires employees or admits medical students handles these types of questions during an interview. For example, as an interviewer, do you get to ask things like, "What kind of Asian are you? Because, we have too many Chinese here, but very few Vietnamese, so I want to make sure "your people" came from Vietnam originally, and not China." Or do you have to find out in a more roundabout way? Like ask if they prefer pho or chop suey. Or what if you want a gay person? There would be a similar problem there, wouldn't there? If you need to hire a gay guy for DEI purposes, can you ask him directly if he likes dick? Or do you have to just guess he's gay, based on his lisp and swishy walk? This is all very confusing.

We seem to have a rather schizophrenic attitude when it comes to race and ethnic origins. One the one hand, its apparently uncool for Hussey to enquire about Fulani's ethnic origins. And in fact, its considered "racist". But when it comes to hiring someone or admitting them to, say, medical school, it seems to be very important to know this information. So, I'm kind of curious how someone who hires employees or admits medical students handles these types of questions during an interview. For example, as an interviewer, do you get to ask things like, "What kind of Asian are you? Because, we have too many Chinese here, but very few Vietnamese, so I want to make sure "your people" came from Vietnam originally, and not China." Or do you have to find out in a more roundabout way? Like ask if they prefer pho or chop suey. Or what if you want a gay person? There would be a similar problem there, wouldn't there? If you need to hire a gay guy for DEI purposes, can you ask him directly if he likes dick? Or do you have to just guess he's gay, based on his lisp and swishy walk? This is all very confusing.
Your response is proof it is very confusing for you.

Asking once is not the issue. It is not accepting the answer and persisting that is

I did not say that nor do I think that.
I notice you feel the need to say that quite a lot. Have you ever wondered why?
I only ever need to say it on this message board. Have you ever wondered why?
I cannot speak for others, but there are plenty of explanations that come to mind such as
1) you exaggerate about only on this board,
2) your style loses lucidity in print in these types of discussions,
3) this forum is not your echo chamber?
4) your other audiences are more timid in disagreeing with such a dogmatic moralist,
5) other audiences are smarter,
6)your other audiences know the hopelessness of these types of discussions with you, or
7)others don’t care enough to enquirer.

I am confident that with some serious introspection, you can come up with others.

Back
Top Bottom