• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Mission to Mars.

Why did I even begin to watch this flick? I hated it the first time and this time... oh, just fuck this movie.

Blowme/10

American Horror story: Freak Show 8/10

I was apprehensive returning to this series since Coven was so shit. But Freak Show delivers. It's got Angela Basset with three boobies. What's not to like? The spoilt kid and the serial killer clown are so much fun. Great characters. Jessica Lange awesome as usual.

Misconduct 7.8/10

High rating from me. Very Kubrick feel. I say that because some scenes and music were straight out of Eyes Wide Shut. I don't know the director but it isn't Kubrick. Hopkins is insanely good in it. I wish I could call him every night to hear a bedtime story. His voice is so awesome and they use it so well in this. Pacino heh, he can't do a southern accent. He can still act better while sitting on the toilet than most people can on their best day, so he is pretty good in it. The plot had be wondering til the last minute. Very sleek and scary.

Mad Max: Fury Road 9/10

Nice when an action-packed violent movie has an actual point to be made.

Mad Max: Fury Road 9/10

Nice when an action-packed violent movie has an actual point to be made.

I didn't think it was that great. It looked really neat---as in terms of the visual experience, it was awesome. But the plot, with all its attendant holes big enough to drive ten apocalypse-ized big-rigs with guitar playing monsters on the front side by side really ruined any of the cerebral aspects of it for me.

But whatever. Lots of people dig it so I must be missing something. I'll give it a re-watch at some point.

I agree, I finally saw it and liked it, but what the hell? In the first movie, Max was what, in his early 20s, and now he's maybe 40. MAYBE. So we go from a crumbling, but still functioning society to dried up oceans and mutant death armies in less than 20 years? Immortal Joe must have already started building his little empire WHILE Mad Max was working as a cop in the first movie. And the movie explicitly reminds us that Max was a cop, so it isn't even retconning it. I didn't see the movies in between, so if Max got cryogenically frozen or bit by the immortalizing horsefly in between, I apologize.

8/10

I agree, I finally saw it and liked it, but what the hell? In the first movie, Max was what, in his early 20s, and now he's maybe 40. MAYBE. So we go from a crumbling, but still functioning society to dried up oceans and mutant death armies in less than 20 years? Immortal Joe must have already started building his little empire WHILE Mad Max was working as a cop in the first movie. And the movie explicitly reminds us that Max was a cop, so it isn't even retconning it. I didn't see the movies in between, so if Max got cryogenically frozen or bit by the immortalizing horsefly in between, I apologize.

8/10

And you didn't react to the fact that they have functioning cars. The first thing to go when industrialisation goes belly up. That's a cue to turn off your brain. The old films didn't make sense either. At least that part was consistent.

Hey: He is called the 'Road Warrior' thus it requires cars. He is not called 'The ever young ex policeman guy.' As far as I am concerned, movies are allowed ONE major conceit. You can more easily hand wave away the cars, in that by cannibalizing the millions of pre-existing cars you might be able to maintain a small fleet of functioning cars for a time, and you could run a small refinery built off a big strategic tank farm for a while.

It all depends on what you are willing to accept. Temporal anomalies bother me most in any thing that isn't Star Trek.

8/10
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_timeline

also, the 3 previous movies each take place in a vastly more decayed society (relative to the previous movie) than the aging of the actor could account for... george miller has stated several times that the films aren't meant to be chronological or consistent in terms of story, it's just about a guy named max who used to be a cop who's living in a post-apocalypse world.

Yes, but the difference between a floating timeline and this is that it juxtaposes an ageless character who has skills and background from a particular time period in a time period when the man couldn't possibly exist with those sets, rather than the simpsons, who are an archetypical american family in whatever era they happen to be. Same with Batman. He was a rich lunatic in the 40s, and he is still a rich lunatic in the '10s. The only thing that has changed is what bat themed gizmos he spends his money on. Yet in whatever era he appears in, his background and behavior is appropriate for that era (except for everything that is always inappropriate). The batman of the '10s is not the same detective batman of the '40s. If Mad Max were like Batman, he'd be a 'road warrior' with a background appropriate for his time and place, rather than being an anachronistic ageless policeman. That is absurd as if someone made a batman movie with '40s batman but set in 2016. Being a 'road warrior' embittered by failure but still trying to help people is an ageless concept. Being an australian policeman is not.

If Mad Max were like Batman, he'd be a 'road warrior' with a background appropriate for his time and place, rather than being an anachronistic ageless policeman. That is absurd as if someone made a batman movie with '40s batman but set in 2016. Being a 'road warrior' embittered by failure but still trying to help people is an ageless concept. Being an australian policeman is not.
i suppose it's all subjective interpretation, because when i watched 'fury road' i simply saw it as "there's this dude, he used to be a cop, he's the connective tissue that links stories set in a post-apocalypse environment" - the character of max and his details are largely irrelevant, because while he's technically the protagonist of each film his character itself isn't the focus.

the only reference in fury road is the opening monologue "i used to be a cop. a road warrior, searching for a righteous cause" - which if you want to get really fanboy arguing about it (which i don't care enough to do, but will do to play devil's advocate and for the sake of wasting a few minutes at work to type this out) doesn't give a definite timeline or say that he was a cop or a road warrior BEFORE the collapse of society... or, that society is universally as degraded as this one area the film focuses on.

hypothetical example: there's a scene in fury road where they're discussing trying to cross the salt flats, or going back to Citadel. max says "you can ride for 300 days and i promise you'll find nothing but salt" - i know nothing in the movie specifically indicates this, but i've always found it an interesting point to wonder if he's right.
okay so it's a semi truck retrofitted with battle gear. based on the RPMs and MPH gauges shown and guesstimating based on the visual distance between Citadel, Gas Town, and the Bullet Farm (which seems to be like 10-15 miles at most from each other), the entire drive that takes place in fury road starting at Citadel and ending at the start of the salt flats couldn't have been more than about 200 miles (for the moment ignoring some serious issues with the movie's chronology vis a vis drive time).
so if we assume that the movie takes place in australia, for all we know the whole thing happens out in the middle of the border between the northern and western territories, in the gibson desert... this whole movie could be happening just a few thousand miles from sydney, brisbane, and melbourne, except nobody knows those cities are still more or less intact, and nobody in the cities knows about a few hundred nutbag desert cosplayers running around in the middle of nowhere.
(side note: i know this is going to absurd lengths just for the sake of a discussion about a movie, but it totally works)

i always kind of imagined that max was in a more populated region, had bad shit happen, then went off his nut and ran out into the desert and it was more or less pure coincidence he bumped into Citadel.
that's perhaps how he knew for sure that there was nothing east across the salt.

Last edited:
Well, I don't mean to get all fanboy either, but if they are going for 160 days at 14 hours a day at 60 miles an hour, they are going 134,400 miles, or 3 times around the world. Which is why I assumed they meant that 'the salt' was actually the dried oceanic basin, and also that Max doesn't know what the shit he is talking about. Even if I heard wrong and they were only going 60 days, that's still 50,000 miles, once around the world, more than enough to get them across the Pacific. Also, those motorcycles are really fuel efficient, either way. Also, they talk about satelites, but not aircraft. If this is happening in the interior of modern australia, you'd think they'd see a flight from Perth to Canberra every once in a while.

Well, I don't mean to get all fanboy either, but if they are going for 160 days at 14 hours a day at 60 miles an hour, they are going 134,400 miles, or 3 times around the world.
did you notice that several of the bikes were just flat out dragging a sled with equipment and people in them? there is absolutely no way they're maintaining 60 miles an hour, much less with any kind of fuel efficiency.
also, there's a very low chance that a handful of old women and totally inexperienced young women would do a hard solid ride for 14 hours a day.

i'd say that 10 hours a day at 30 miles an hour would be much more realistic, which nets you 48,000 miles assuming you go in a perfectly straight line.
which is still 10 times the width of australia, but i don't think that either the intention or the condemnation of the plan was meant literally.

Also, they talk about satelites, but not aircraft. If this is happening in the interior of modern australia, you'd think they'd see a flight from Perth to Canberra every once in a while.
i didn't suggest it's *modern* australia... the movie sets up that an apocalypse of some sort happens, and we can take it as read that civilization as we know it is no longer functioning.
but that doesn't mean cities are utterly destroyed or that there is nothing left - you could totally have knots of humanity chugging along in urban centers, but modern day things like airplanes and long distance communication are out.

think of it kind of like the movie The Village...
my own personal fan fiction expanded fury road universe imagines that 3 rich people (maybe brothers? maybe just friends? whatever) are doomsday preppers who get a refinery built on top of a moderate oil well in the middle of the gibson desert and build Gastown, find an aquifer nearby and build Citadel, and then make a factory for The Bullet Farm nearby... then when the oil wars and water wars start, they gather up a cult of doomsday paranoids and their young children and hoof it out to the middle of nowhere to play out a post-apocalypse fantasy.
what we see in fury road is this cult compound 30 or 40 years later when max accidentally stumbles into it, having run off into the desert after some traumatic incidences happened to him near the cities.

did you notice that several of the bikes were just flat out dragging a sled with equipment and people in them? there is absolutely no way they're maintaining 60 miles an hour, much less with any kind of fuel efficiency.
also, there's a very low chance that a handful of old women and totally inexperienced young women would do a hard solid ride for 14 hours a day.

I did notice the sleds. My response is 'Bah! When does anyone in these movies drive 30 miles an hour, or observe any sort of reasonable driving safety precautions?'

the only reference in fury road is the opening monologue "i used to be a cop. a road warrior, searching for a righteous cause" - which if you want to get really fanboy arguing about it (which i don't care enough to do, but will do to play devil's advocate and for the sake of wasting a few minutes at work to type this out) doesn't give a definite timeline or say that he was a cop or a road warrior BEFORE the collapse of society... or, that society is universally as degraded as this one area the film focuses on.

Which just goes to show Miller should have avoided past references.

Why does Max call himself a 'road warrior'? HE never called himself that. The people he met in Mad Max 2 called him that, but only AFTER their adventures together. After they left him behind. And he was never 'searching' for anything. He was just driving. Surviving.

Just. left Star wars.Crap.Sorry I spent $14.99 on this crap.
WTF. I will finish this crap 'cause I paid for it.
What a mess.

Last edited:
I'll be very interested when first reports about "Hardcore Henry" come in. Judging from the commercials, I'm not sure what to think about.

According to the Onion AV club, it has "all the excitement of watching someone play a video game." I like the Onion reviews.

In other news, the teaser for Star Wars: Rogue 1 is out, and it has Forest Whitaker!

Well, I don't mean to get all fanboy either, but if they are going for 160 days at 14 hours a day at 60 miles an hour, they are going 134,400 miles, or 3 times around the world. Which is why I assumed they meant that 'the salt' was actually the dried oceanic basin, and also that Max doesn't know what the shit he is talking about. Even if I heard wrong and they were only going 60 days, that's still 50,000 miles, once around the world, more than enough to get them across the Pacific. Also, those motorcycles are really fuel efficient, either way. Also, they talk about satelites, but not aircraft. If this is happening in the interior of modern australia, you'd think they'd see a flight from Perth to Canberra every once in a while.

If Billy starts driving at 12:00 and drives for 40 mph per hour and Susan starts at 14:45 and drives at 60 mph, how far have they driven when will Susan catches up with Billy.

If Billy starts driving at 12:00 and drives for 40 mph per hour and Susan starts at 14:45 and drives at 60 mph, how far have they driven when will Susan catches up with Billy.
Far beyond the reach of men on machines, just as Pappagallo had planned.

Back
Top Bottom