• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

The Martian, 7/10: Stars Matt Damon as astronaut Mark Watney who is stranded alone on Mars after he is separated from the rest of the team. Presuming Watney is dead, the team take off from Mars headed back to earth. NASA realize Watney is still alive and start work on trying to get a plan together to rescue him. The rescue mission will take years so Watney has to figure out how to survive on Mars by reclaiming water, creating oxygen, growing food etc. He also has to cobble together a space craft (MacGuyver like) that will get his ass off Mars and rendezvous with the rescue ship. It was an OK movie. A bit pedestrian at times but watchable.
I thought it was meh.

It could and should have been so much better. It's a great premise, astronaut stranded on Mars and has to survive for months or years using his wits, scientific knowledge, etc. before a rescue mission will take him home.

I found a lot of little things that annoyed me that I probably shouldn't because it's just a movie. Instant communication between Mars and Earth instead of it taking at least several minutes for a radio message to get from Earth to Mars and vice-versa. It was a minor annoyance, but they could have built some drama around having a more realistic communication method with both sides having to wait minutes before they heard from the other. The fact that he just happened to be within driving distance of the Pathfinder rover on a planet with 145 million square kilometres of surface area. The fact that the same rover used a power connector that he was able to hook up to his own hardware to get it powered up and when he hooked it up it was delivered the right voltage and current instead of frying it by overloading it or not being able to deliver enough power, nope, it was just the right amount for some 20+ year old piece of hardware. Matt Damon's character being live on air to the whole world when he told NASA to go fuck themselves (or whatever he said). That was just a bit silly.

I also really didn't like the continual ramping up of the drama. He had to cross X amount of space at speed Y which is just about enough for him to safely make it and be caught by a fellow astronaut in the rescue ship. But then when it gets closer to rescue time it turns out the gap is bigger and he'll be travelling even faster! Oh noes! And then later it turns out that he doesn't get to enough height and speed so he'll have to breach a humungously bigger distance and will be going several times faster than the initially calculated speed which they were initially doubtful would work. But it all still works anyway. It's completely unnecessary.

And of course the rescue mission blows up after launch and the crew on their way back from Mars has to stage a mutiny in order to return to Mars to rescue their colleague. It was all just so contrived to me and could have been done so much better.

Afterward I watched the Martian, I decided to watch one of my favourite films of all time, Apollo 13, which deals with a very similar theme, astronaut mission goes tits up, and the astronauts and mission control have to use their wits, skills and engineering and science knowledge to rescue the crew stranded in space. A true story which was very faithful to the actual events of the Apollo 13 mission, and it absolutely kicked the shit out of the Martian in every way, without resorting to silly histrionics to try and build drama and tension.

Not sure we watched the same film. Most of your points were explicitly discussed in the movie, including the non-instantaneous communication, the hacking of hardware, causes of the rescue explosion, the reason for the inaccuracies in his trajectory, etc. Not liking the movie is fine, but at least make sure your reasons are actual reasons... :shrug:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople 10/10

Fantastic movie. Funny and poignant, great acting and cinematography. Definitely recommended, and I plan to get the book (Wild Pork and Watercress) on which it was based.

Bunker of the Dead 5/10

This is a conscious attempt to make the shittiest film possible. Nazi zombies run around in a bunker led by zombie-Adolph.

Acting is awful. I'm pretty sure they're trying to make it more awful.

Fun because it's clearly made in Germany by a German crew trying to pretend they're American. They sound sooo German.

It's a good laugh. The location is gorgeous. Good scouting.

The Intern, 4/10: Stars Robert De Niro and Anne Hathaway. 70 year old Ben (De Niro) gets an internship at a busy dotcom company answering to Hathaway. This movie plodded along without much happening. I didn't see much comedy in it but maybe that was towards the end of the movie but I bailed out halfway through.

Suffragette, 6/10:A film about the suffragette movement in England culminating in the famous incident of Emily Davison getting killed at Epsom race track. It's an interesting subject but it's not a particularly entertaining movie to watch. It has some good scenes in it but the pace is off. Meryl Streep makes a cameo appearance and if you blink you would miss her.

Synchronicity 2/10

Why do I hate all time-travel movies? I'm science fiction nerd. In theory I should be all over these. They speculate about science taken to extremes. Which I like. I just don't on these.

A really well made, and well written film. Very cleverly woven together. Cool twist. Acting is adequate. Good characters. Loved the homage to Blade Runner. It is also pretty. I just never gave a shit.

I suspect it's the time-travel paradoxes that mess with it. I'm so well versed in the problems of time-travel that I know that anything can happen. The internal logic of any time-travel show will always open up for anything. That, pretty much, kills the suspense for me. It just becomes a list of random things happening with zero connection.

I so wanted to like this.

Synchronicity 2/10

Why do I hate all time-travel movies? I'm science fiction nerd. In theory I should be all over these. They speculate about science taken to extremes. Which I like. I just don't on these.

A really well made, and well written film. Very cleverly woven together. Cool twist. Acting is adequate. Good characters. Loved the homage to Blade Runner. It is also pretty. I just never gave a shit.

I suspect it's the time-travel paradoxes that mess with it. I'm so well versed in the problems of time-travel that I know that anything can happen. The internal logic of any time-travel show will always open up for anything. That, pretty much, kills the suspense for me. It just becomes a list of random things happening with zero connection.

Out of curiosity, which movies do you think are the best and/or most successful time-travel movies?

Synchronicity 2/10

Out of curiosity, which movies do you think are the best and/or most successful time-travel movies?

That one's easy. Time-Bandits. Hands down. Looking through the list I think the best ones are the ones where they don't try to explain it. It's like they admit that this is ridiculous, and just run with it. Army of Darkness is a gem. Back to the Future. And Groundhog day. But comedies never have to take responsibility for anything. Les Visiteurs for the scene when Jean Reno drinks water from a toilet.

The only "serious" one I like is 12 Monkeys. But that one is pretty trippy. So many levels of fucked up going on there. Terminator. But that one is just utterly and completely stupid. Such a contrived device that makes zero sense. Which makes it ok. That's telling the viewer that the film-makers know this is retarded. Escape from Planet of the Apes, is also good. But that's because it's clear from the start that this isn't a "science" fiction so much as just a straight up allegory over 1960'ies race relations. People weren't getting it in the first two, so they sent the apes back in time and spelled it out. And also "forgot" the time machine in the sequels that followed. Which is cool IMHO. It's when they try to explain it that it gets stupid.

I love Star Trek. But the time-travel one's are always their weakest IMHO. All contrived.

I'll end with the Final Countdown from 1980. Boy is that film stupid. Every detail. It's a hoot. A real gem. Found this after they sacked it on Filmsack. So worth it. A so-bad-it's-good film.

This was fun

Last edited:
That one's easy. Time-Bandits. Hands down. Looking through the list I think the best ones are the ones where they don't try to explain it. It's like they admit that this is ridiculous, and just run with it. Army of Darkness is a gem. Back to the Future. And Groundhog day. But comedies never have to take responsibility for anything. Les Visiteurs for the scene when Jean Reno drinks water from a toilet.
When did that happen in Les Visiteurs. I would agree, that movie handled the time travel (and said consequences) very well.

As far as serious takes on time travel, Time Crimes is a good one if you have not seen it. It's a low budget Spanish film, and the time traveler can only go back in time one hour, but it is well done. It has been a number of years since I have seen it, but if I had to give it a rating:

Time Crimes
7/10

Rammbock 10/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1583356/

Fuck me backwards that was the best written zombie movie ever. The tightest script I've ever seen. The acting is awful. The camera work is so-so. Settings... mmm. It has everything you expect from a b-movie. But that script. I'm in awe. Dialogue is perfect. I haven't seen a film that good in a long time. Even if you don't take the budget into account, that would have been an amazing film. And if you take the budget into account, that would have been an 11/10.

All you need to know is that it's a zombie movie. You won't be disappointed.

22 Jump Street
9/10

A very enjoyable comedy. The humour rests on two pillars: self-referential jokes pointed at the fact that this is a sequal of a reboot of a 90s TV show, and taking the bro-mance between the main characters to ridiculous extremes. I do hope they get that Jump Street / Men in Black cross over movie out of the development hell soon.

The Last Starfighter (4/10)

A 1984 shameless ripoff of Ender's Game. Why didn't they buy that rights? Well, they didn't. Instead they created this garbage. All the points I awarded for entertaining idiocy. I think the alien and set designers were the least creative people in the galaxy. The idea for the main alien race was male-pattern baldness. Even for the ladies. It looks retarded. The bad guy aliens looked like tre-ents from LOTR and the supporting other good guy alien looks like a lizard. The rest of the aliens looked like foam rubber randomly assembled and sprayed. The word that comes to mind is lazy. Dialogue is equally lazy. Whenever anything happens there's a guy that pops up to explain what's going on. I suspect you could follow the story is they just ran the soundtrack on radio.

The basic story is good. I find it remarkable that they couldn't work the material better than this. This was horrendously executed. The fact that it came a couple of years after Star Wars and Flash Gordon just makes it embarrassing. It was financially very successful. Bizarre. A cool detail with it is that it was one of the earliest films to use computer graphics. It shows. It looks awful. But it does add charm. I think they use it well. And it works with the main plot device, (the computer game). So they used the computer graphics well. Way better than, let's say Babylon 5 would do ten years later.

It is available free on Youtube. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TopA0ROYviw

A 1984 shameless ripoff of Ender's Game. Why didn't they buy that rights? Well, they didn't. Instead they created this garbage.
Ender's Game came out in 1985. Besides I remember the Last Starfighter being the coolest thing ever when I saw it as a kid.

The Last Starfighter was an awesome 80s movie. I really can't see how it could have aged very well, though, and I think it's probably better that I keep my half-remembered memories of it instead of ruining them by watching it again.

A 1984 shameless ripoff of Ender's Game. Why didn't they buy that rights? Well, they didn't. Instead they created this garbage.
Ender's Game came out in 1985. Besides I remember the Last Starfighter being the coolest thing ever when I saw it as a kid.

Next you'll tell me LOTR film isn't based on the Harry Potter books.

OK, did not know that. I guess it's the other way around then. Or the same idea simultaneously. Which I suspect is what happened.

And even if you liked it my complaint of the boring aliens stand.

Next you'll tell me LOTR film isn't based on the Harry Potter books.

OK, did not know that. I guess it's the other way around then. Or the same idea simultaneously. Which I suspect is what happened.

And even if you liked it my complaint of the boring aliens stand.

Although the Ender's Game novel came out in 1985, the novella upon which it was based came out nearly 10 years earlier, in 1977. I believe the novel form of the story only adds the first chapter or so, which details Ender's family life on Earth, some background political information, and the last chapter that sets up Speaker for the Dead. The Last Starfighter could very well have been influenced by Ender's Game.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Last Starfighter when it came out, I was a senior in High School at the time, but I haven't watched it in at least 25 years or so. I doubt it would hold up well if I went back and watched it today.

I watched the classic sci fi movie "the day the earth stood still" and it was actually very good. Way better than the remake they did with Keanu Reves (which totally jumped the shark and made no sense).

Back
Top Bottom