• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Isn't there a sequel to Avatar coming out soon. If so, that should be interesting.

Will that be the quest to find the mineral Superrareite which only exist under a 800 tonne fluffy bunny worshiped by a savage clan of negroes... sorry.... I mean something less racist like people with green skin, but which in every other way lives up to 1930'ies racist stereotypes of savage blacks in Africa married with Rosseau's Noble Savage nonsense.

Did I say the greenoes will be super natural? They only eat ecologically friendly non-GMO farmer's market whole foods and can communicate with nature using some sort of telepathic bond. They can do this because they are in touch with nature. Which we in our modern ways aren't. Bad bad modern humans.

I think Avatar is the most racist movie ever made. I'm actually kind of cool with that... because it's too over the top. It's about as subtle as Naked Gun. But I think it's weird that various anti-racist organisations haven't reacted. They seem to react to everything else. Anyhoo... going back to sleep

Space Cop 6/10

I was just lazily scrolling through the Popcorntime list of films when this gem popped up. Space Cop. Didn't even finished reading the blurb. They had me at "schlocky". Which was the first word. The film delivers. It's awful, but in a good way. It's an attempt to do an 80'ies style cop movie, in the vein of Kung Furious. Oh yeah... the story. A traffic cop from 2058, in a space ship chase (speeding space ship) goes by mistake into some sort of space distortion which sends them back in time, to our time. The great thing about this movie is that he's just automatically part of the police force still and nobody asks any questions. They all just accept that he's from the future and get on with their business. He gets partnered with a detective who's a 40'ies style hard-boiled Humphry Bogart type cop. And so on and so forth. The jokes are all really lame and way too obvious. But hey... it's a schlocky film. It's expected. I think the Space Cop is supposed to be a parody of Judge Dredd. He's like a lazy and inept overweight Judge Dredd.

I still didn't give it high marks. Something is off. I think it's the pacing. I think it's just badly edited. They linger on weird shots and cut too quick in other places. It's off. So it's a bit jarring. If you are a marijuana aficionado this film will be perfect for you.
not sure if you knew this, but worth noting that this is all intentional and it's also very indie - this movie was made by, and stars, the RedLetterMedia guys, who did those "mr plinkett" star wars reviews, and do the half in the bag movie review show.

speaking of schlocky 80s throwbacks...

Turbo Kid: 8/10
how to describe this...
basically this movie was custom built for people who grew up loving 80s movies and are tickled by a massive nostalgia kick to the era of post-apocalypse adventure movies with gratuitous violence.
like kung fury, space cop, etc, only this movie is less tongue-in-cheek and more of an homage that is actually legitimately a thing on its own, instead of having its value be contained solely in the genre its riffing.

Sully: 8/10

An interesting movie because anyone familiar with the actual situation knows the obvious outcome. The film shows the professionalism of everyone on board the flight and rescuers - the lack of panic and dedication to safety of the passengers and crew. The film explores the after shocks to Sully and the co-pilot. But the drama is the in the investigative process. I don't know how much of the film investigation portrayal was accurate, but some of it was truly discouraging or deplorable.

Tom Hanks and Aaron Eckhart were excellent as the pilot and co-pilot. I really like Laura Linney, but she didn't have much to do.

Prospero's Book 10/10

The film by Peter Greenaway. I can't believe I waited so long before watching this. It's gorgeous. Can't recommend it enough. The perfect movie to relax to. I'm just letting myself get swept away by the weirdness. Who cares what it's about or the story? It's art that combines a multitude of disciplines. A feast for the eyes and ears. I watched it alone at home, and caught myself with the urge to stand up and clap all the time. It's a master-piece.

An interesting movie because anyone familiar with the actual situation knows the obvious outcome. The film shows the professionalism of everyone on board the flight and rescuers - the lack of panic and dedication to safety of the passengers and crew. The film explores the after shocks to Sully and the co-pilot. But the drama is the in the investigative process. I don't know how much of the film investigation portrayal was accurate, but some of it was truly discouraging or deplorable.

Tom Hanks and Aaron Eckhart were excellent as the pilot and co-pilot. I really like Laura Linney, but she didn't have much to do.
From what I've been reading online, the film is about as embellished as Argo.

From what I've been reading online, the film is about as embellished as Argo.

Word of the day "hagiography"

3/5 Vertical Limit

it's ok, entertaining.
mostly about people falling and there is dialogue
decent ending

Dead Snow 2 Red vs Dead (8/10)

Best ending in any zombie movie ever, and best human/zombie sex scene ever. This is a more light hearted take on the genre without being a comedy. Hilarious that, by mistake, the doctors sew the zombie Nazi comanders arm onto the main character, and, predictably it procedees to live it's own life wrecking havoc. Love the shity acting. It's obvious that it's mostly amateurs trying really hard. The story? Who cares? It's a zombie film. Brains get eaten. The bit about the raised USSR zombie army fighting the Nazi army isn't really utilised. Cool idea, but ultimately ends with being just meh.

Return of the Living Dead 3
(6/10)

One thing I love zombie films is the pulpines of them. This one does it par excellance. It has nothing to do with it's predecessors, and is a blatant attempt to milk a franchise. The comedy is either just bad or misses the target. But it's ok. The action is great and it's really well filmed. If you're into BDSM you'll immediately understand that this film is basically about masochism. It's a woman torturing herself in order to maintain sanity (stay human). So it's got a deep message. Oh, yeah... the film is also about showing boobies.

The first Return of the Living Dead will always be one of my favorites.

Warcraft (9/10)

I enjoyed the Warhammer movie immensely. I mean Warcraft. I had very low expectations, but this one would have held up even if I had had high expectations. They portrayed the orcs masterfully. I felt empathy for them even though they made no attempt to humanise them (ok, a little bit). Great (and classic) twists. Awesome magic and great effects. Battle scenes were top notch. Acting wasn't 100%. But it didn't bother me. Dialogue was great. I came away from it an experience richer. I've come to expect shite scripts for fantasy. So I was really happy here. Good stuff.

I docked a point for Warcraft being a blatant rip-off of Warhammer and the utter shites, Blizzard, have been very litigious about other people infringing on their copyright, including Games Workshop, who where the one's who came up with all this. Blocking them from using their own inventions in games and such. For that Blizzard should burn in hell. I would much rather have been watching a Warhammer movie. Way better forces of Chaos. But still happy one of them did it.

Ghostbusters 2016 (8/10)

I liked it. I thought it was fun. I think it captured the essence of the original(s). I loved that it was so self-referential. And they added plenty, so it wasn't simply a re-make. I think the story this time around is more solid IMHO. Well played.

One thing I don't quite understand why they did, is that they made so much of it dependent on having watched the original. That was over 30 years ago. I loved that film and knew it almost by heart. But how many have seen it today? And that film isn't as good now as it was then. It has a lot of 80'ies comedy over it, ie too much talk and too little substance, and lingering on boring shots The new one improved on that point.

I usually have trouble with Mellisa McCartney. I just don't find her funny. But I think she did alright here. The girls had chemistry between them. Kristen Wiig is another actress who hasn't impressed me before. But this time she was great. Kate McKinnon plays a great nerd/lunatic. I'm going to keep watch Leslie Jones for the future. I think she was outstanding. I hadn't heard of her before. I thought she was great.

Louise-Michel Hard to rate.

The basic premise is that a factory in Picardy s closed and the workers gang together to get a professional to "hit" their old boss.

There are some wonderful humorous bits, and the writers weren't fond of big business. I'm glad I saw it but wouldn't know how to recommend it to anyone else.

Louise-Michel Hard to rate.

The basic premise is that a factory in Picardy s closed and the workers gang together to get a professional to "hit" their old boss.

There are some wonderful humorous bits, and the writers weren't fond of big business. I'm glad I saw it but wouldn't know how to recommend it to anyone else.

When Worlds Collide

I loved movies like this. 1950s science fiction. It was on my list of favorites along with This Island Earth, War of the Worlds, and Forbidden Planet.

This morning when my insomnia kicked in with a vengeance, I caught this movie playing right at the beginning and watched it until the sun came up. It wasn't as good as I remembered.

Training Day 8/10 Don't know how I missed this one the first time around. Very Good cop movie.

I wasn't sure which thread to post this in, but it doesn't feel like it deserves a separate thread.

Anyway, it's amazing just how many similarities there are between Batman v Superman and Captain America: Civil War, yet I really liked the latter and really didn't like the former. Originality isn't necessarily what makes something good, it's the implementation.

I wasn't sure which thread to post this in, but it doesn't feel like it deserves a separate thread.

Anyway, it's amazing just how many similarities there are between Batman v Superman and Captain America: Civil War, yet I really liked the latter and really didn't like the former. Originality isn't necessarily what makes something good, it's the implementation.

I haven't seen the prior, but put simply, we know the characters in the Marvel universe so well. I mean Ant Man should be one of the dumbest super heroes ever, but somehow, thanks to great writing, he comes off as unreplaceable! The Onion had a movie review complaining that some of the extras in Civil War didn't have their own film to build their characters, and that took away from the film as a whole. :D

Also Superman sucks as a Super hero for movies. You can only go there so many times.

- - - Updated - - -

Training Day 8/10 Don't know how I missed this one the first time around. Very Good cop movie.
That was a great film. They could have finished it two ways. Haven't watched it in a while, though with a toddler... probably may be why.

Various Hindu devotional films. 8/10

The big mystery is why Hindu's consider these devotional. They seem mostly to be poking fun at Hinduism. These films are terrible. But good terrible. The special effects... oh, lord. These make Godzilla look good. Most aren't texted. It's fine. I don't care. I just want to see the shitty acting, horrendous special effects and their gods doing epic shit. Best thing... there's a tonne of them for free on Youtube. Just google "Hindu devotional movies". Be amaze.

Gems like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW7KwARt2hE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZvHEoO0qUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N94_Js61pU

And here's Ramayana. How do they do that Hanuman outfit, it doesn't even look like a papier mache mask. No, wait... it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY3XZKky9Bc

Back
Top Bottom