• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

A movie not out quite yet but the trailer is out. The Death of Stalin. It seems to be rather black political humor. For those who liked Dr. Strangelove sort of humor. Check out the trailer on You tube for a right giggle.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJ5dMYx2no[/YOUTUBE]

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
8/10

I so wanted this to be good. But it was average. Dammit. Well, not quite average. The story is much better than you'd expect from the trailer, a lot more things are happening. It's still visually amazing, and I think the opening credits that shows the beginning of Point Centr.. I mean Alpha is quite inspirational. Lots of comic book references, though Besson occasionally swapped Valerian and Laureline to keep things more balanced. Eh. I just hope it didn't bomb badly enough in the box office because I want to see a sequel.

I would give them a sequel, to see if they can do better. :thumbsup:

Lego Ninjago

If you liked the other Lego movies you will like this one. Lots of silly one liners. Made me laugh out loud several times.

The Phantom (6/10) 1996

I wanted to see this as a teenager, and never got around to it. So I did it now. This is a filmatisation that was panned by critics and did badly in the box office. I'm guessing it's because the outfit of the Phantom looks ridiculous. Whenever I saw him I started to giggle, in a bad way. But it's worth watching for some reasons. It's supposed to be ridiculous. The fighting scenes are all dumb. They look more like dances or performed on stages. Villains are extremely villainous. Sets are basically Disney world. Everybody is dumb (so the audience gets to feel smart). It does not take itself seriously at all. The ancestor of the pirate king who killed the first Phantom's father 400 years ago IS DRESSED THE SAME in 1938. So dumb.

It's interesting that they moved the setting from Africa to somewhere in south east Asia. Because apparently, in 1996, being incredibly racist against backward villagers in south east Asia is better than Africans. The whole premise is a white man being the worshiped protector of stupid brown savages. His family has lived there for 400 years. So the only thing that distinguishing him from everybody else back there is his whiteness. Yeah... worked in 1943. Not so much in 2017. What saves it is it's cartoonishness. Nothing about this film is remotely realistic. But it's cartoonishness, which was a distinguishing feature of comic book adaptions in the 1990'ies also makes it flat. Which I guess is why they stopped doing this.

Acting is... well... who cares. It's not a kind of film where it matters.

The film is a fun diversion.

Baywatch

This is a bad movie, knows it's a bad movie, is often purposely a bad movie, and is proudly so. There are some genuinely funny moments, which actually makes it not totally unwatchable. That said, you really need to watch it with another person to make it worthwhile. There are a lot of moments where you need confirmation, as in, "Do you think they meant to do that?" And that makes it fun.

For what it is, which is a stupid movie, it's still better than a lot of other shitty movies I've endured.

5/10

Valerian

Valerian (6/10)

Valerian and Laureline was one of my favourite comics as a child and Empire of a Thousand planets was my favourite of the lot (the basis for City of a Thousand Planets). So I was of course overjoyed when this film came to the cinema. But I was worried. V&L is pretty cerebral stuff.

The basic story (of the original) is that humans leave Earth on an expedition. They crash on a planet. Make themselves masters of that, technologically inferior, planet by co-opting their religion. The plan is to take revenge on Earth for sending them into space and not bothering to try to rescue them. At this point Earth and Syrte (ruled by the human renegades) are technologically equal. Since Syrte now has the technological knowledge of the Earth renegades, because they share it.

When Valerian and Laureline show up, hundreds of years later, their ship is vastly technologically superior and easily defeat the Syrte space navy. The Earth renegades realise that they had no chance to take revenge and that the Syrtians are better off without them. So they commit suicide.

The message is this, religion makes us happy but stupid. By ejecting religion we will develop technology faster and, in the long run, make ourselves happier.

So how much of the original message was retained in the film? The Earth explorers and renegades, completely lifted. Instead Luc Besson chose to use the Avathar story as a background. This film is basically Avatar 2. Complete with very similar aliens, Mül/Na'vi (living in retarded harmony with nature). Which, unless I'm mistaken, is the opposite message of the comic book? Ie, worship of nature and religion is preferable to technological progress. In the comics it's all about technological progress and enlightenment ideals. The film is romantic rousseauist New Age clap trap.

How much of the original story did he use? Almost nothing. The aliens in the film are nothing like this aliens in the comic book. The comic book aliens, Syrte, are modelled on a corrupt Ottoman Empire or something. They are made to look very human like, but with horse ears. In the film they're called Mül and based on Avathar's Na'vi. The Syrte emperor of the film isn't an idiotic easily impressed playboy but the Sarlac Pit basically. And the emperor of the film (Boulan Bathor) has nothing at all to do with the aliens of the film the film is about (Mül). It's not even a conflation of Syrte. It's just a bizarre blend of story arcs and crowbaring in something from the comics that doesn't fit, and is done badly. That whole section of the film could be lifted right out and it wouldn't impact the story one iota. it also doesn't reveal character. It's pointless. The same part from the comics is crucial for the story. Bad writing.

He also completely inverted the entire idea. In the film the corrupt empire and capital (Alpha) was the human capital. So the whole juxtaposition of the enlightened humans vs the corrupt and backwards Syrtians was completely lost.

Which brings us to a second problem of the V&L film. The comics are chock full of great original science fiction motifs and images, all picked clean, down to the bone, of other films, comics and books. Most notably Star Wars. The original Star Wars films is full of V&L nods and references. Valerian is Han Solo and his spatio-temporal ship is the Millennium Falcon. Leia as a slave in Jaba's barge is lifted right out from Laureline as a slave in Empire of a thousand planets, who is then rescued by Valerian. It's identical, even in Leia's/Laureline's outfit. The religion is the Jedi. The high priests even look like Darth Vader and have similar roles. But everything from Mad Max, to Water World to, Dune, to The Last Star Fighter, Children of Men all have influences from Linda and Laureline. It's a long list.

Ideas from the V&L comics have been used and re-used so many times now they're all, done-to-death, tropes. Which would make it damn near impossible to make a V&L film and make it feel fresh. The only thing that makes V&L comics unique today is that it's horrendously sexist. The constant flirting/arguing that goes on between Valerian and Laureline is part of the magic that makes it work. But it is sexist. Valerian is a boyish man, who constantly needs to man up in the face of danger. Each time Laureline tries to assert herself she needs to be rescued by Valerian. She's essentially a damsel in distress, who's main asset is to be beautiful. Which of course makes it doubly difficult to launch this in super gender sensitive sci-fi of 2017. Using this will make it feel less fresh today. Luc Besson did just this. It doesn't work today. Today we associate this kind of behaviour with teenagers. Ehe... Valerian and Laureline is supposed to be Earth's top agents. It just becomes silly.

There's no real story here. Bad guy is evil, and Valerian and Laureline expose him. Most of he missions/sub-stories are gimmics. Almost the entire film is transport, hunt for the MacGuffin. There's extremely little story in the film, or character development. Bottom line, it is a vacuous popcorn flick completely devoid of anything that the original V&L are. I even challenge the idea that it's inspired by V&L.

It's still fun to watch. It's a great film to watch when hung-over. But don't bother seeing it in the cinema. It's not that good. I saw it in 3d. Pointless. They don't use the 3d at all. I'm sure it's better in 2d.

I love Luc Bessons colourful pallete and great use of colour. It fits nicely in with the Fifth Element. I don't understand why they didn't just call it Fifth Element 2 or something? They only used the comics for flavour. Picked the odd alien here and there and sprinkled it on top. But it doesn't fit. I think the comics just held this film back. He'd been better off just calling this his own thing and removing any of the small references to the comics.

A lot of people complained about the acting of the guy who played Valerian. I had no problems with it. He played a boy. I think it worked great. It's just confusing when he's supposed to be a man. He just wasn't. As soon as I dropped that idea I thought it worked.

Rhianna is in it, and she plays a very fun character. It's a completely pointless role, that adds nothing to the film. But then again, almost nothing does in this film.

Yes, over use of CGI. Still well done. It worked.

Last edited:
How fun! I hear that Copenhagen is one of the loveliest cities of all. All I really know about it comes from the "Scandinavia and the World" cartoon.

So, now that I've managed to sleep through the night, I will write my review of IT (9/10)

This was a very, very scary film. I also think it will be perfectly accessible to everyone, whether or not you've read the book or seen the previous adaptation. Like the best book adaptations, it hewed closely to the book in the most iconic scenes, while feeling free to adapt the other parts freely for the cinema medium. Particularly outstanding were the child actors, which are always a problematic element in movies that include them. Not so here. They were all pitch perfect, even the very young boy who plays little Georgie. The pacing and tone are also quite perfect, with the monster being just another horror added to the already horrible lives of the young protagonists. Very highly recommended for all who are not Coulrophobes.

ETA: Oh god! A Modigliani painting just showed up on my Tumblr feed!

How fun! I hear that Copenhagen is one of the loveliest cities of all. All I really know about it comes from the "Scandinavia and the World" cartoon.

It's basically Stockholm. Very similar. Both culturally, genetically and the look of it. Both Hanseatic cities. Extremely similar. the language is similar. I studied Danish for three weeks and after that I could have a conversation in Danish. Danes are more pleasure oriented than Swedes. So it's drug liberal and prostitution is legalised. Swedes view people unashamedly and openly having fun with great suspicion. But it's a pretty minor difference. In general the cultures are the same. The most distinguishing feature of both cultures is jante. And that's the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante

So I feel right at home here. Malmø though is an awful city. Stay away. Do not recommend. Boring as fuck.

Valerian (6/10)

Valerian and Laureline was one of my favourite comics as a child and Empire of a Thousand planets was my favourite of the lot (the basis for City of a Thousand Planets). So I was of course overjoyed when this film came to the cinema. But I was worried. V&L is pretty cerebral stuff.

The basic story (of the original) is that humans leave Earth on an expedition...
Nice analysis, but I think that the main influence for the movie was not The Empire of a Thousand Planets, but The Ambassdor of Shadows. The Mül were much closer the the titular shadows of the latter. It's still not really capturing the themes of the original, but it's a bit unfair to compare it to a completely different story.

Life

Watched blue ray version of "Life", (IMDB: released March 2017. A team of scientists aboard the International Space Station discover a rapidly evolving life form that caused extinction on Mars and now threatens all life on Earth.) Was in high demand at the local library so I had hoped for something inspiring. I found it the exact opposite. Very depressing dialogue throughout with little plot development. But I trudged through hoping to pull out at the end. Hide the razor blades before watching this one. I then got to watch the premier of Star Trek Discovery on CBS. It seems scifi is dieing an inglorious death.

ETA: I've never felt compelled to post about a movie before, but I felt this one just lacks any redeeming value.

Last edited:
Valerian (6/10)

The basic story (of the original) is that humans leave Earth on an expedition...
Nice analysis, but I think that the main influence for the movie was not The Empire of a Thousand Planets, but The Ambassdor of Shadows. The Mül were much closer the the titular shadows of the latter. It's still not really capturing the themes of the original, but it's a bit unfair to compare it to a completely different story.

Aha... thanks. I'd completely missed that. Perhaps because this is one of my least favourite albums. I re-read it after seeing your post... yup. It's the same story.... roughly. No, it's not. It's a completely different story.

The Ambassador of the Shadows is a story about the road to hell being paved by good intentions. The humans think they are good but are in fact evil. What they perceive as weakness and chaos is in actual fact just fine, and the reason the humans can't see it is because they're not smart enough. The comic album is about multi-culturalism and the importance of staying humble and curious. It's about the human propensity of seeing threat when there is none. It's also about pronoia. Ie, yes there's a conspiracy, but the conspiracy is a conspiracy of wanting to help.

While the Mül superficially resemble the Nameless they're nothing alike. The Mül are Rousseauan savages. People who haven't been corrupted by greed and evil yet. The Nameless are a super advanced race who have transcended being ego-driven. It's basically a race of enlightened Buddhists. And they're not powerless!!! In the comic they're sitting with all the cards, and have all the supreme power. They are ruling the galaxy already, using soft power, and nobody knows. The movie is the umpteenth retelling of colonial white guilt. Done to fucking death and then some.

I'm saying it. Luc Besson raped Valentin and Laureline. He raped this comic book album.

That said, it's one of my least favourite V&L album. Sure, I get it, Christin and Mezieres wanted to create a world where nothing can be taken for granted. Things don't work there like they do at home. And we need to drop our preconceptions if we want to learn. But it also creates a disjointed experience. It's mostly a list of "and then this happens". To me it mostly comes across as a five year old re-telling a dream.

A good story depends upon the reader continuously creating hypotheses on what will happen next. When it's too weird, too many non-sequiturs, they stop, and we lose the reader. It kills the tension. That's what happened to me when I read it.

Luc Besson should just have made his own thing.

Finally got around to watching Wonder Woman.

I wish I hadn't waited so long. DC has been having some trouble lately getting their super-heroes on the big screen right, but they hit it out of the park with this one.

A lot of that has to do with Gal Godot.

When she unleashes her literally god-given powers she makes it believable. There's no nod and wink like with Marvel's resident demigods Thor and Loki. The filmmakers took it seriously, she played it straight, and it worked very well.

They did a pretty bad job of hiding the twist that she - not the sword - was the "god-killer," but did a much better job of hiding the identity of Ares until the last act.

The thing that was most absurd (and most super-hero movies have some absurd) was the fact that after Diana had almost single handedly liberated the town and had taken out more soldiers than the entire squad combined (complete with crushing the sniper by crushing the tower he was hiding in), the rest of the guys were like "well that's mildly interesting" instead of "holy fuck we've got a real live super war machine goddess on our side." Hidden island of Amazon warriors? No problem for me suspending disbelief there. Main character forged from clay and brought to life by Zeus? Sure. Fine. Yet in a movie where the conceit is that Diana is just too hot to walk through a room without attracting attention, nobody seems to notice the whole "warrior goddess causes massive destruction" thing.

Rogue One, 6/10; I am not a Star Wars fan and don't know where the series of films is at. I have not seen a Star Wars movie since Return of The Jedi I think. This movie clips along at a decent pace and pieces things together so I don't think I missed out having not seen the previous movies in the series. It was enjoyable enough but I wasn't wowed by it. The acting was decent and the special effects are good. It was a nice twist at the end. I was expecting Harrison Ford in this movie but I didn't see him, perhaps that's in a future move. Oh well.

IT 2017 (7/10)

I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. I was also prepared to be disappointed, because I just loved Tim Curry's Pennywise. One thing I really liked about it is the absurdity of that little city. Everybody had the most extreme teenage problems imaginable. They really ticked off the list of everything. It's also a city... seemingly devoid of cops. Because they could murder each other left and right and the city just went on with life... no cops. It gave the entire film a dream like feel to it. Throughout most of the film it felt like being on psychedelic drugs.

I also liked that there were no Midiclorians. If you're doing a film with a supernatural element, any explanation of its nature is superfluous. The magic just is. It adds to the mystery and avoids slowing down the pace. They did this well (pun, get it?). The original had Midiclorians. Which I must admit I ate up as a kid. But making Pennywise an alien doesn't really explain anything anyway. I guess aliens were super cool enough in the 80'ies to make it work. But a bit silly IMHO.

It's also... quite clearly a film for children. There's very little depth (lol... another pun) to it. Which I thought was fine. The film is pretty and well made. The child actors were excellent. Bill Skarsgård did a nice clown. It never got boring. Great dialogue. A good popcorn flic.

It's completely different from the 80'ies original. The original is much darker and grimier. This new one isn't going to scare anybody. You'll sleep just fine after watching it. The original... perhaps not. Tim Curry's Pennywise is most likely impossible to beat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom