• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Pontypool 2/10

This is a zombie film that I watched because it was repeatedly listed as one of the best zombie films ever. It's not. It's awful. Here's what I don't like.

1. The name. What a dumb name of a film. It's just terrible.

2. More than half of the film has gone before any zombie appears. I don't think they ever kill one. I can't remember it. There's very few zombie all together. So slooooooooooow. In most of the film there's too little suspense. There's too much talking. Too little action.

3. The method of infection is the dumbest shit ever devised. This isn't a spoiler because any smart person can work it out immediately. It's certain words that turn people into zombies. There's more to it, and more "twists". Those are somewhat interesting. So I won't ruin it. But the moral of the story is so fucking stupidly obvious it's insulting to watch. Listening to lies and fake news can turn good people into not so nice people. Memes can be dangerous. Newspeak is bad. Saying the truth and aiming for accuracy matters. Well... whoop-de-fucking-do. Mind not boggled. After googling it there's also something about the French/Canadian conflict in Canada. Well, I didn't get it even after having it explained.

The dialogue is well written. Acting is great. The characters are also wonderful. it's pretty. Too bad it's wasted on this crap idea.

My favourite line is when somebody dies and a woman bursts into tears. "Where you close?" "Well, no. He was a paedophile. I think"

This film would probably work better as a stage play or even monologue. One that doesn't take itself seriously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontypool_(film)

Very accurate. I remember turning this movie on with great anticipation due to the reviews. Then it assaulted me with its suckitude.

It's supposed to be suspenseful and mysterious, but instead it's just boring.

Bad Moms

Perfect, do-everything mom can't get it all done. Husband is bad guy. PTA moms are witches. So she throws out husband, starts dating, meets dream man, hangs out with other "bad moms" etc.

This is one of the stupidest movies it's been my displeasure to watch in several years. Mila Kunis is a really good actress and why she took this movie, I don't know. It's complete shit, predictable, unrealistic, poorly written, and unfunny.

1/10

My wife watched Sharknado 5 which meant I kinda' had to watch Sharknado 5. Holy shit, was that bad! Tara Reid looks like she's been rode hard and put away wet. Time has not been her friend. Except for her fake tits, she looks anorexic. I will say this: the movie matched her acting talents.

That movie franchise only works with the Rifftrax. It is such a stupid concept and yet people seem to be willing to give their time and pride away for free, just for a little publicity. And then people watch it because it is so stupid. I thought that was what Star Wars VII to IX was for.

The Dark Tower depends/10

I've read the Dark Tower series twice and have read almost all of King's other works with tangential references to the Dark Tower. I knew this wasn't going to be a straight up adaption, but rather more of a distillation of the spirit of the books. With that in mind, I wasn't really bothered by the significant changes to the characters they made for the movie. They seemed to get a lot of the feel right and there are plenty in in-jokes and King Easter eggs throughout. Okay summer action movie, but as a fan of the series, it seemed to skim the surface in parts, where some more depth would have been appreciated. Definitely not the stinker it's being made out as, but anyone expecting a faithful adaption will feel let down.

6.5/10 for a summer action flick

Alien: Covenant

Okay, for me, a prequel is a movie that explains certain details from the original movie. For example: the Star Wars prequels explain how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader. The Hobbit explains Bilbo Baggins journey before Lord of the Rings. This is the second fucking prequel and neither has still explained the backstory behind the space jockey in Alien, the only fucking thing most people are curious about. This movie could conceivably be another derivative sci-fi horror movie with no tenable link with the alien franchise. So, in that aspect, it fails as a prequel. It would be as if the Star Wars prequels focused solely on Ki-Adi-Mundi and Captain Tycho. Completely missing the point.

As for the movie itself, if you thought the best part of Prometheus was all the stupid decisions made by the cast, then this is the film for you. Add to the very predicable ending regarding Fassbenders' character(s), you are arguably better off to save yourself some time and torment and simply read the plot synopsis on wiki.

No more please/10

Wonder Woman
8/10

Finally got around to seeing this. And it's pretty good, for a superhero movie. If this was in Marvel cinematic universe, it would rank in my mnd near if not in the top-3. But it's DC, so there is no competition whatsoever. The action scenes are as good as any man-directed movie, and there is finally some humor and even a little bit color (even if it is just Wonder Woman's panties) that has been sorely lacking in other DC films. But, it's still just a superhero flick, and about two thirds of the way in it does get a bit drawn out for my taste.

Theer was a Justice League trailer before it, yawns. I didn't even bother checking if there was a post-credits scene; there is no way that any teaser to vastly inferior sequels could make this movie better, on the contrary it would probably have made me leave the theater with a bad taste in my mouth.

Morgan

Girl created in a lab turns into really bad person. There's a twist at the end, but even if you're as lazy of a thinker as I am when it comes to watching movies, you can see it coming a good 45 minutes before it's revealed. Or at least you already suspect it. It's the kind of thing that would impress you if you were around 9 or 10 years old and had never seen a story of this type.

4/10

Ok, here's the revised list. I consulted the big list on wikipedia, so I'm fairly certain this is all I've seen. Or at least remember well enough to rate. Note that the vast majority of these I consider "good" or "great" movies, with only the last 6 or so as "bad" and the 10 or so above those merely being "boring" or "problemmatic." Those I added since last time I marked with an asterisk. I corrected a couple of titles. I decided I couldn't leave Casablanca off, as it was actually a WW2 propaganda film.

Rank Name
1 Dunkirk
2 Letters from Iwo Jima
3 Battle of Britain
4 Casablanca*
5 Come and See
6 Diplomacy
7 Saving Private Ryan
8 A Bridge Too Far
9 Bridge over the River Kwai
10 Das Boot
11 The Great Escape*
12 Guns of Navaronne
13 Downfall
14 Flags of our Fathers
15 Patton*
16 Valkyrie
17 A Man Escaped*
18 Where Eagles Dare
19 That one about the Louvre art theft.
20 Empire of the Sun*
21 Run Silent, Run Deep
22 Tora! Tora! Tora!
23 Stalingrad
24 Stalag 17*
25 The City of Life and Death
26 The Longest Day
27 The Army of Crime*
28 Mr Roberts
29 Red Tails
30 Enemy at the Gates
31 Memphis Belle
32 Max Manus*
33 Tuskeegee Airmen*
34 The Frogmen*
35 White Tiger
36 Flame and Citron
37 Mosquito Squadron
38 Operation Petticoat
39 Battle of the River Plate
40 Return to Navaronne
41 Inglorious Basterds
42 Inglorious Bastards
43 Fury
44 Windtalkers*

I cried during the last 20 min of Memphis Belle, as a kid, and forgot about the film until now. I also cried during Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Windtalkers, Flags of Our Fathers, Tuskeegee Airman, Glory, and Warhorse, an during an episode of NCIS that dealt with a WWII tragedy-semi-murder finally being resolved fifty years later.

And because I'm a sucker for war movies and shows (even M.A.S.H.s satire), I now want to watch a couple I haven't seen before.

I don't think I've seen Iwo Jima before. Anybody now if it's from America's or Japans perspective?

Its from the Japanese perspective. Clint Eastwood made two excellent movies about Iwo Jima, one from each side.

I cried during Windtalkers too. It should have been a good movie, but boy, it wasn't.

I watched The Dressmaker the other day. If Judy Davis didn't get some sort of award for the performance there is no justice in the world.

7.5 for the film

Its from the Japanese perspective. Clint Eastwood made two excellent movies about Iwo Jima, one from each side.

I cried during Windtalkers too. It should have been a good movie, but boy, it wasn't.

So yeah . . . Letters from Iwo Jima an half of Dunkirk.

I enjoyed Letters from Iwo Jima, 8/10, and am now curious of Clint Eastwood's other film, in case anybody has the name of it?

Dunkirk I have yet to get more than halfway through with on account of having trouble following the perspective changes and scene transitions that are a bit quick and jarring. But I'll try again later to finish it.

That's flags of our fathers. I thought you had seen that one.

That's flags of our fathers. I thought you had seen that one.

Yes I did see that one. But I don't generally pay attention to the beginning credits, or the end credits, or who's in what an all that.

I liked Flags of Our Fathers very much as well. The style and the acting were well done, storyline well thought out and presented.

Still not able to sit through Dunkirk though and I don't know why. It's not like it is all that different from a lot of other war films. :/

The Social Network
7/10

Decent movie, thanks to Aaron Sorkin's slapstick humor and David Fincher's smooth directing, but as most "based on a true story" flicks this is held back by need to follow real history. The best parts of the movie are those which do not. I don't even have a facebook account, so maybe I'm not in the target demographic.

Waterloo (1970) 8/10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterloo_(1970_film)

This film is famous for trying hard to be faithful to history. It does a few historical changes. But not a lot. I respect that. It's also famous for being a Hollywood film jointly produced with the Soviet union (Mosfilm). Nearly all the soldiers in the film are in reality soviet troops in active service. Also filmed in the Soviet union. Also famous for being a financial flop. And famous for being a epic movie produced over a decade after epic movies stopped being financially viable. Which is why it failed financially. Even though it was critically well received and a huge success. Just a stupid investment I guess.

I thought it was great. I like the suspenseful slowness of 70'ies cinema. Plenty of time for reflection. It's very pretty. Good acting. Costume is fantastic. I like how it doesn't just focus on life of the generals. It spends a lot of time among common troops. There's a lot of debate among the generals of wtf is happening. Which is historically accurate. Keeping track of a 19'th century battlefield was not easy.

But it's age shows. The acting is at times very DRAMATIC! The long intense stares into the camera is... well... aged. And people have bad hair. Except Wellington. His hair was always impeccable. As well as plenty of obvious and terrible fake beards and moustaches. I'm not an expert in 1970'ies prosthetic technology, but they must surely have been able to do better than this? Or just order the Soviet army to stop shaving? I loved the proposterous officers uniforms that kept getting in the way, making life hard for them. But that was historically accurate. They were peacocks.

I think the film catches well the claustrophobia and terror of battles of the line. Even though it felt rushed here and there.

I saw the 90 minute one. There's apparently a 4 hour one, only released in Russian. I'd like to see that in English.

"Stop that useless racket! You'll hurt yourself."

"Good God Sir, I've lost my leg!"
"Good God Sir, so you have!"

Jason Bourne - This movie was at times better than I expected at times more or less what I expected. The first comparison that comes to mind another Damon action film Green Zone. The ending set of fight sequences just happen in both films and it is nonsensical that events could actually turn out that way. Run, run, run... find, find, find. The premise of the film is a bit silly too. It seems a bit contrived about the Father and Son angle. I actually thought they were going for a big swerve, but that didn't occur. Definitely enjoyable. I'd say a movie mixed with 3 of 4 and 2 of 4 scenes.

Doctor Strange
- I liked this movie more than I expected. While the special effects were incredible, the movie itself held together very well, if not a bit cliched, but this is a comic book movie after all. Felt like a typical Marvel film with plenty of action and just enough humor. My one complaint was the initial interaction and booting of the lead from the temple, and then he gets back in quickly, without having to accomplish anything. 3 of 4

Lego Batman - I feel a bit silly saying this, but this movie was incredibly good. Yes, it suffered from a little cliche, but it is a Lego movie that managed to pull off a truly motion picture length film that was incredibly funny while still pulling off the action well. The humor was all over the place, from situational, to jokes, to references, to slapstick. The movie suffered from no weaknesses and just did a great job with the villains (DC and well beyond). I don't know if they could have possibly done this idea any better than they did. Only 0.5 removed because the Trump Treasury Secretary was an Executive Producer and that pissed me off to see his name in the credits. 3.5 of 4

The Matrix (with Rifftraff) - Woah! The movie itself holds well and was cutting edge for its time. The Rifftrax commentary was incredibly funny.

3.5 of 4

It

Just got back from seeing this, and overall, I have to say the makers of this film did a damn good job of it. Next to The Shining, this may be the best Stephen King adaptation ever. They updated the material, changed some things, and left out certain things, but kept the feel and spirit of the book intact. There are some criticisms to be made about some things that weren't included in the film, but that may be premature because it's quite possible those things will be included in the next film. For example, It's origin wasn't in this movie, but again, there's room for it in the follow up.

One thing that I would've liked to have seen was a treatment of Its' inner thoughts. The book was highly flawed throughout, but one of the most intriguing aspects of it was the way King brought out the character of the monster through its inner thoughts and vague emotions. There's also a quick reference to the Turtle, but it's really more of an easter egg than a plot point or explanation. If one hadn't read the book, they probably would've never given the reference a thought.

I'll stop now lest I spoil anything, but this is a good movie. Not just a good horror movie, but a good movie period.

7.5/10

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
8/10

I so wanted this to be good. But it was average. Dammit. Well, not quite average. The story is much better than you'd expect from the trailer, a lot more things are happening. It's still visually amazing, and I think the opening credits that shows the beginning of Point Centr.. I mean Alpha is quite inspirational. Lots of comic book references, though Besson occasionally swapped Valerian and Laureline to keep things more balanced. Eh. I just hope it didn't bomb badly enough in the box office because I want to see a sequel.

I recently went on a horror movie bender. Again.

Housebound 6/10, decent storyline, decent acting, rushed and clichéd ending with a bit too much camp in it.

47 Meters Down, 5/10, again decent enough with a coupe behaviors a shark would never do, decent twist in the ending.

A Cure For Wellness, a bit too long, but the acting and supernatural element I liked. 6/10. I think the brilliant ad marketing campaign was somehow better than the movie itself.

And then I watched The Belkin Experiment. This will probably be a series going by the ending of it so I'll prolly only ever watch the first one. Too many tired tropes , clichéd characters, similar tired treatment of the one guy who actually has morals and sticks to them most of the way through. 2/10 The worst one I've seen in several months.

I also saw The Other Side of the Door, which was kinda good given the over-used theme of grief and loss, 6/10, The Boy, which I rather liked even despite the basically easily known jump scares and predictable end, 7/10 and one more I forget the name of with Kate Beckinsale, who was, kinda awful in it. That one is a 2 at best and that's being generous.

I'm trying to find both Rings and Don't Breathe before ending the week with Lights Out, so there'll be more later.

Back
Top Bottom