• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Bohemian Rhapsody

It was okay. I understand that artistic license is often a necessary thing, but there were so many things in this movie that were wrong for no good reason. For example, the timeline of when albums came out, the phony breakup of the band, when Mercury knew that he'd been infected with the AIDS virus, etc. It really worked towards ruining the movie.

Also, while I'm sure Mercury was at times a preening queen, he wasn't that way all the time. I've seen him in interviews and he was a really articulate, down to earth, and well spoken guy for the most part. The contrast between his offstage personality and his onstage persona is one of the most intriguing things about him.

And the dialogue. So much of it is hokey and cliche, and there were multiple times where I thought that they wrote some lines and filmed them in such a way specifically because they thought it would look good in the trailer, not because they got done editing the film and then picked out some things they believed exemplified it. IOW, it felt really contrived.

But in spite of some piss poor decisions and bad filmmaking, I was entertained throughout.

Is the thing Oscar worthy though? Not by a long shot. And I don't know what that says about this year's crop of Oscar movies.

6/10

I think he was a preening queen all the time. I think he was just good at acting straight in interviews. It's a normal gay thing. I'm pretty sure he was a perpetual flaming queen. Based on how people described him. Since we associate serious straight shooting manliness with power and strength, we want the men we look up to be manly. So powerful men will act that part even when they're not... at all.

Why do you care whether it gets an Oscar or not? Isn't it just American virtue signalling, and nothing about how good movies are?

Remains of the day (10/10)

A perfect film about the life of a butler who is a coward and uses his duties to escape having to show his feelings. Very pretty. Anthony Hopkins is amazing in it. Emma Thompson is also great.

The Postman Always Rings Twice Jack Nicholson and the stunning Jessica Lange are brilliant in this brilliant portrayal of human frailty. Quite sexy to boot!

9/10

The Lego Movie - I enjoyed a bit more than the first time. Still not certain about the real world tie-in. Not as goofball as Lego Batman, but still pretty good. 3 of 4

The Postman Always Rings Twice Jack Nicholson and the stunning Jessica Lange are brilliant in this brilliant portrayal of human frailty. Quite sexy to boot!

9/10
The delicious Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange are brilliant in this brilliant portrayal of human frailty. Quite sexy to boot!

:thinking:

Bohemian Rhapsody

It was okay. I understand that artistic license is often a necessary thing, but there were so many things in this movie that were wrong for no good reason. For example, the timeline of when albums came out, the phony breakup of the band, when Mercury knew that he'd been infected with the AIDS virus, etc. It really worked towards ruining the movie.

Also, while I'm sure Mercury was at times a preening queen, he wasn't that way all the time. I've seen him in interviews and he was a really articulate, down to earth, and well spoken guy for the most part. The contrast between his offstage personality and his onstage persona is one of the most intriguing things about him.

And the dialogue. So much of it is hokey and cliche, and there were multiple times where I thought that they wrote some lines and filmed them in such a way specifically because they thought it would look good in the trailer, not because they got done editing the film and then picked out some things they believed exemplified it. IOW, it felt really contrived.

But in spite of some piss poor decisions and bad filmmaking, I was entertained throughout.

Is the thing Oscar worthy though? Not by a long shot. And I don't know what that says about this year's crop of Oscar movies.

6/10

I doubt I will see this movie. I'm not going to watch an actor do karaoke (or lip sync) to Queen's biggest hits when I can easily retrieve the original material. I recently watched Queen at Live Aid again and it still gives me goosebumps.

But anyway, I'd be more interested in Brian May's story than Mercury.

I somehow doubt a well behaved and polite astronomy nerd makes for good cinema. The most controversial thing he's ever done is said that he really likes badgers. Not even a genius can make this film work. Who bets against me?

I somehow doubt a well behaved and polite astronomy nerd makes for good cinema. The most controversial thing he's ever done is said that he really likes badgers. Not even a genius can make this film work. Who bets against me?

European badgers or American badgers?

True, it wouldn't make for good cinema. But I still think Brian May is an interesting bloke.

True, it wouldn't make for good cinema. But I still think Brian May is an interesting bloke.

I think you might be surprised just how popular a movie called 'The Life of Brian' would be.

I certainly agree. I think scientists rarely get the love they deserve in our culture. All my heroes are scientists. So it makes me sad that nearly all the biopic movies are about politicians, kings, generals and artists. It's the scientists and innovators that make the world a better place. The rest of them is just the side show.

European badgers or American badgers?

It's more precise than that. It's British badgers.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/may/04/brian-may-champion-badger-welfare

The Lego Movie - I enjoyed a bit more than the first time. Still not certain about the real world tie-in. Not as goofball as Lego Batman, but still pretty good. 3 of 4

9/10
The delicious Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange are brilliant in this brilliant portrayal of human frailty. Quite sexy to boot!

My apologies. I forgot it's not politically correct to compliment a beautiful woman! :coffeespray

9/10

My apologies. I forgot it's not politically correct to compliment a beautiful woman! :coffeespray
Complimenting beauty is fine... it is when it is the only thing you are remarking about the actor that it comes across as shallow.

I certainly agree. I think scientists rarely get the love they deserve in our culture. All my heroes are scientists. So it makes me sad that nearly all the biopic movies are about politicians, kings, generals and artists. It's the scientists and innovators that make the world a better place. The rest of them is just the side show.

Scientists get a fair amount of coverage in documentary type movies tucked away on cable. Not so much in movies although some, A Beautiful Mind, The Theory of Everything and The Imitation Game were pretty well received.

Speaking of scientists, and women...

Annihilation: 7/10

Natalie Portman and Jennifer Jason Leigh lead a team of scientists into a strange phenomenon called the "Shimmer" that's swallowing up anyone and anything that goes inside. The interesting thing is that very near the beginning of the film it lays out who survives, who dies, and who disappeared. It then slowly and methodically explores the Shimmer, and the viewer is along for the ride. It is a very well crafted science fiction film, but the ending was a little disappointing. Oscar Isaac has a supporting role in this, but man...he's turning out to be one helluva character actor.

Complimenting beauty is fine... it is when it is the only thing you are remarking about the actor that it comes across as shallow.

Saying that the movie starred Jack Nicholson and the stunning Jessica Lange sounds perfectly normal to anyone but a " snowflake!"

Signs. Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix.

A widower and former small town minister who lost his faith, is shocked to discover a crop circle on his farm.

Gibson has made better films than this average drama/thriller.
6/10

Scientists get a fair amount of coverage in documentary type movies tucked away on cable. Not so much in movies although some, A Beautiful Mind, The Theory of Everything and The Imitation Game were pretty well received.

But those aren't about the science. The theory of everything was about ALS. His theories were just skimmed through. A beautiful mind was about schizophrenia. The Immitation game was about Aspergers and homosexuality. None of these films were about the science or their scientific work, or why it was relevant, or how they contributed to the good of mankind. Alan Turing is my absolute greatest hero in life, my idol, and I'd read the biography the film is based on. The film was absolute total bullshit, from start to finish. They barely got anything right. I still liked it... as a work of fiction. And certainly a positive development on the film Enigma where they portrayed the Alan Turing character as straight.

Cable documentaries about science aren't they always awful? As in wildly incorrect?

But those aren't about the science.

If you want science go to a science lecture. The movies were interesting insights (albeit not 100% accurate) about the people with the science as a backdrop. I'm ok with that.

Back
Top Bottom