• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Captain Marvel - 7/10

An enjoyable movie which is a fairly standard superhero origin story. It was well done, but it's not altogether different than what they've already done a half dozen times before. It's a prequel to all the other ones, so there are a lot of references to things from the other MCU movies, some of which really worked well and some which didn't work at all.

The main issue I had with it has to do with the marketing around the movie. People were trumping her up as the most powerful person in the MCU and Thanos needs to watch out and she's going to be the leader of the Avengers in Phase IV, etc. She really doesn't seem to be as strong as Thor or anything and is basically just one more person who got some powers from an infinity stone, like Scarlett Witch or Quicksilver. I also don't see why anyone would put her in charge of anything. She's a power character who'll be good to have sent in to punch some stuff pretty hard, but there's nothing about her which would make her someone who's judgement I'd particularly trust and whom I'd follow.

Serenity - Seen this several times. Whedon proved what he could do with $20 to $30 million and a well planned out idea. Instead of getting the five or so seasons this show deserved, he was able to cram as much goodness into a 2 hour length movie both without it being overly muddled, nor without it being too spaced out. And gosh, Whedon is so good with creating singular moments you look forward to, and creating characters that feel so honest and real. So many moments in his stories mean something, laying the groundwork for additional reveal ahead in the story. He is a craftsman.

The signal died off several years ago, but it is still great. 4 of 4

Chungking Express 9/10

It's a 1994 classic by Wong Kar-Wai. It's two parallel stories. It's one masterfully told story about a man who gets dumped by his girlfriend and then goes a little bit crazy. I think anybody who has been dumped by their big love can relate. Another story is about a woman in charge of a drug smuggling operation. When she's ripped off she needs to sort it out. Having to shift between ice cold gangster and compassionate normal human, while keeping her own shit together. These two stories are intertwined but are kept separate. Works really well.

One really cool thing about the film was that it came into existence because he was forced to take a two month break in the production of another movie (Ashes of time). He just thought it would be a waste not to use the crew and talent the full time he had them on contract. So he came up with the idea and story, and just did it. Writing at night, and filming during the day. The entire film made in six weeks. Super cool considering how extremely good it is. It was much better than the, high budget, movie Ashes of time.

I docked a point for the filmography being a bit dated. Shaky cam, perhaps cool in 1994, but now... yuck.

1994? have not seen the movie yet, but that was the time of NYPD Blue handheld cam, which at times was cool, but way overused.

in mid 2000s the Bourne Identity type very shaky cam came about. Or maybe in things like the Gladiator battle scene in the forest.

Blade: Trinity

Stars Wesley Snipes, Ryan Reynolds and Jessica Biel. Vampire hunter Blade, framed for a murder by his enemies, fights a resurrected Dracula.

One reviewer of this woeful effort said. " A pain in the neck." I couldn't agree more.

3/10

They Shall Not Grow Old

Peter Jackson's WWI documentary using restored/colorized war footage. Wow. In addition to the film, the story is narrated not by talking heads or historians, but the voices of the soldiers who fought on the Western Front. It's an amazing piece of technical wizardry, but also very moving.

I saw it on the last showing at the discount theater, thinking I'd probably be alone or nearly alone watching it. Nope. The venue was a little over half filled, mostly by senior citizens. At the end of the documentary, it was very, very quiet in there.

9/10

Ok so of late I've watched:

The Hate U Give: Well acted, moving and didn't receive enough recognition. Obviously many different aspects of a large issue was trying to be portrayed in one 2/hr film, but altogether worth watching.

The Favourite: I can see why Olivia Colman one best actress. I don't know how historically accurate it was, but it was thoroughly enjoyable to watch if you like period pieces.

Captain Marvel: As a Marvel fan anyway, I wasn't surprised I enjoyed this. It's not my favorite, but will still watch it again. And I enjoyed the women empowerment theme of the film. Was glad to see it.

Meru
8/10
http://www.merufilm.com

Documentary about the attempted first ascent of Mount Meru in the Indian Himalayas via the “Shark’s Fin” route, a nearly vertical, 21,000 foot high wall of ice and rock.

“Because it’s there” just doesn’t explain the obsession, risk-taking, and pain of these people.

Captain Marvel
4 out of 5

Solid Marvel movie, which managed to do some novel stuff despite being yet another superhero origin movie.

Weak bad guy and disappointing climax, which are the standard for Marvel movies.

Favourite scene, which make me chuckle:

"Vers" chasing the shapeshifter through the city and giving absolutely zero fucks about the bewildered locals. I laughed out loud when she--deadpan--shrugged off the group of men who tackle her on the train.

Last edited:
Triumph of the Will (?/10)

The 1935 Nazi propaganda classic by Leni Riefenstahl. It's about a couple of rallies just after the Nazis took power in 1934 where the Nazi leadership explains what their goals for the future are. It's famous for being cinematically ground breaking in many respects. Riefenstahl used angles and symbolic associations, as well as creative editing, to make Hitler look godlike and loved by his people. The stuff Hitler is saying is interesting. Or rather what he isn't saying. There's no mention of war. In the rhetoric the German people are the victims, and are just peace loving. Jews aren't mentioned, even once. Nearly everything said is upbeat and positive. Interesting. Donald Trump today is way more ominous and brooding in his speeches.He also spends a lot of time telling the audience what they are thinking. Which to modern ears comes across as strange. But I guess mass media was in it's infancy, so there was no way for Germans to really know what other Germans were thinking. This is just after the night of the long knives. So addressing this takes up an inordinate amount of time. Which, in hindsight is interesting. Because a post war audience will of course pay attention of other things.

Hitlers dress sense annoyed me. In several takes he has shitty ill-fitting suits not befitting a dictator. Sometimes pins and badges are crooked. He often had bad hair. These things really stuck out, and was just weird. Is it that a modern audience is more attentive to details? There's just no excuse to fuck up close ups, since these can be made in a studio after an event.

It's also interesting which "people from the street" they chose to zoom in on. These are all clearly made in studio. But it's interesting, since these are supposed to be some sort of Nazi ideal of the day.

Uni-brow Rudolph Hess looks like a caveman. I thought that was funny. I do not understand how a man can manage to shave his chin, but fails to shave between his eyebrows.

Impossible to rate. It's not the best film ever made. It's purely interesting for it's historical significance. Next film I'm watching is Olympia.

Death Wish. Charles Bronson at his best. Let's face it, he was born for such roles. Although I thoroughly enjoyed him in The Watermelon Man. The franchise went on to make 4 Death Wish movies, but the original was by far the best effort.

7/10

The Wolf Man, 6/10; A 1941 horror movie starring Lon Chaney Jr as the werewolf. Claude Rains and Bella Lugosi also feature. The fundamental plot is straight forward, a guy gets bitten by a wolf and the guy turns into a werewolf and kills people. Some of the scenarios built around the plot are so cheesy and perhaps this is what makes the movie more charming than scary. The cutting edge special effects are quite laughable but again, this is part of the charm of this movie. The acting is "enthusiastic", the music is dreadful and the make up for the werewolf is primitive to say the least. It still has some scary and fun moments making it on the whole, quite entertaining.

Dead In A Week (Or Your Money Back): 9/10

this was one of the most sweet, endearing, and just god damn delightful movies i've seen in longer than i can remember. a pure joy from start to finish.
black comedy, lots of monty python references, fantastic cast - just a marvel.

A Netflix movie 2018. The Package. When four teenage friends go on a camping trip during spring break, an unfortunate accident sets off a race against time to save one's most prized possession.

Actually not as bad as I thought it would be. Certainly not a blockbuster by any stretch of the imagination, and the giggles are far and few in between. But if you have nothing better to do than watch paint dry, have a peek.

4/10

Dead In A Week (Or Your Money Back): 9/10

this was one of the most sweet, endearing, and just god damn delightful movies i've seen in longer than i can remember. a pure joy from start to finish.
black comedy, lots of monty python references, fantastic cast - just a marvel.

I watched this movie on the back of your review. That and it has Tom Wilkinson in it

Dead In A Week (Or Your Money Back), 6/10; Stars Anueren Barnard as a suicidal writer and Tom Wilkinson as an aging, past it assassin. After approximately ten failed suicide attempts, William is offered a solution to his problem, hire Leslie to kill him within the week. The movies starts off well as the two main characters go back and forth about their arrangements and the circumstances that have forced Leslie into seeking out hits in order to meet his quota in the face of fierce competition from the Eastern European assassins and his wife begging him to retire. Unfortunately the movie runs out of steam after about 40 minutes and struggles to maintain the comedy and it labors towards the end. Not sure where the Monty Python references were either.

Back
Top Bottom