• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Captain Marvel 7/10

I enjoyed the movie pretty well. The only real complaint I had was that the fight CGI wasn't terribly good, which was a problem that also plagued Black Panther IMO. They did a great job on the Skrulls, however.

I finally got around to seeing this today. Surprised to see that the theater was actually full. Brie Larson has an absurd amount of charisma, and despite having a relatively small role Annette Bening was great. The 1990s references were a bit too on the nose. The "twist" was pretty obvious. I mean,

I'm a casual fan of the movies and have never read the comics, but I figured out pretty soon that "wait...the Kree are bad guys, right?"

And the kids sitting next to me nailed the end credits scene.

We waited all this time to see a cat throw up?

I've seen a few movies lately.

Moon. Old fashioned sci-fi without explosions. New ways to mine the moon and not use up large segments of your life. 8/10

Ma Loute. I thought I "got" French humour, obviously not. 6/10, but it may be me.

Black Panther. Liked this a lot more than I expected to. Made a point that needs making, and used only a medium sized cudgel. 7/10

Weiner Dog Depressing. Probably a good film, but had to stop myself opening a vein. 6/10 Danny DeVito turns up everywhere, when you least expect it.

Speaking of Danny DeVito. Watched Romancing The Stone for about the fifth time. Wasn't Kathleen Turner a stunner in her youth, and made some good movies to boot. Body Heat among them.

8.5/10 and 9/10 for the latter.

500 Days of Summer, 7/10; A quirky romance movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. Tom (Levitt) and Summer (Deschanel) meet at work and start up a relationship. Tom believes in love and is all in, Summer does not believe in love and is not invested in the relationship the same way Tom is. They break up after a while and Tom is devastated. The movie covers Tom's heartbreak as he tries to move on with his life post Summer. Great performances from the lead actors.

Aquaman - Sandy Bottom has been rocked by Plankton who has managed to steal the secret Krabby Patty recipe from Mr. Krabs. Desperate, he seeks the help of Spongebob Squarepants who immediately seeks out the help of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy... only to be beaten by Plankton first... and Spongebob and Patrick discover their lifeless corpses at their secret hideout.

The power crazed Plankton forgets about Kraby patties and just wants to rule over Sandy Bottom with a steel bucket, leaving Spongebob and Patrick to seek help via an old ancient tale of a man who can communicate with fish. Searching the seas, Spongebob and Patrick find out the ancient tales are true when they find Aquaman, who is busy trying to pry a magical amulet out of the baleen teeth of a humpback whale.

They tell Aquaman of their troubles, and with little else to do and a burning desire to rid himself of the DC universe, Aquaman follows Spongebob and Patrick to Sandy Bottom to defeat Plankton once and for all by using his ability to talk to fish and his magical powers of CGI.

I don't want to spoil the end of the movie, but I'll just say it was worth the price of admission paid by sneaking into the theater.

2 of 4

7 Days in Hell - This is a mockumentary by HBO about a fictional never ending saga First Round matchup at Wimbledon in 2001. This same team created (which is quite obvious if you've seen it) Tour de Pharmacy. The documentary process works well, they have John McEnroe and Serena Williams, as well as David Copperfield (of course), in it, discussing the history and how things went down.

Like Tour de Pharmacy, it gets raunchy. Unlike Tour de Pharmacy, very raunchy. There is something about premium channels and the need to just put unnecessary raunch into the programming. There are two particular portions where this comes up (ignoring the underwear bit)... and really neither was very necessary, like the underwear bit. Kit Harrington plays a good extremely dumb tennis pro and Andy Samberg plays a way over the top Andre Agassi meets Hedonism Bot.

I wasn't a big fan with how they ended it. I don't think the writer knew where else to go, in order to make it work, so they went with the sure thing when it comes to dark comedy, which was unfortunate, because it otherwise held to together well. It just felt like a cheap out in the end. Definitely NSFW or children!

2.5 of 4

Shazam! (7/10)

While Shazam! isn't going to single-handedly save the DC Universe, it certainly shows that the DCU is learning a lesson. That lesson is that each movie/character deserves its own tone, and not everything has to be ultra dark and gritty. Shazam! is a fun movie with a lot of laughs, without going full comedy. Even with a couple of scary bits thrown in here and there, and super hero violence (naturally), it is a good family movie with a positive message. As a result, it feels much different from all of the other super hero movies out there today.

Shazam! (7/10)

While Shazam! isn't going to single-handedly save the DC Universe, it certainly shows that the DCU is learning a lesson. That lesson is that each movie/character deserves its own tone, and not everything has to be ultra dark and gritty. Shazam! is a fun movie with a lot of laughs, without going full comedy. Even with a couple of scary bits thrown in here and there, and super hero violence (naturally), it is a good family movie with a positive message. As a result, it feels much different from all of the other super hero movies out there today.

It really was a well done and enjoyable movie.

The Night Of The Living Dead The dead come back to life and eat the living. Several people barricade themselves inside a rural house in an attempt to survive the night. Outside are hordes of relentless, shambling zombies who can only be killed by a blow to the head.
Initial release: 1 October 1968 (USA)
Director: George A. Romero
Budget: 114,000 USD
Box office: 30 million USD
Screenplay: George A. Romero, Jack Russo

I'd rate it 7.5/10

The Night Of The Living Dead The dead come back to life and eat the living. Several people barricade themselves inside a rural house in an attempt to survive the night. Outside are hordes of relentless, shambling zombies who can only be killed by a blow to the head.

I'd rate it 7.5/10
I saw the Rifftrax live event for this. The movie wasn't anywhere as bad as I thought it'd be. I don't think I would have watched it sans Rifftrax, but the film did a decent job of remaining sensical and not going too over the top. Some cliches, but overall, a decent film.

But it wasn't supernatural. They don't quite explain it clearly what happened, but they definitely indicate that something natural made this event happen.

I watched that movie as a kid on Creature Features, and on VHS several times since. I remember seeing the ending for the first time. Holy crap! I remember thinking "Whaaaaa? did they really just do that to that guy? After all that?":eek2:

I'd rate it 7.5/10
I saw the Rifftrax live event for this. The movie wasn't anywhere as bad as I thought it'd be. I don't think I would have watched it sans Rifftrax, but the film did a decent job of remaining sensical and not going too over the top. Some cliches, but overall, a decent film.

The movie does just fine without Rifftrax even today, whereas most horror movies of a similar age do not hold up well at all. Of course, that is one of the things that Rifftrax has going for it that you don't get out of MST3K. They can riff good movies, as well as the cheesy ones. After you have seen a good movie several times, watching it with Rifftrax can give you a new appreciation for it. Sometimes, however, it has the opposite effect, making a movie less watchable because of the stupid things in the movie that Rifftrax pointed out to you.

I'd rate it 7.5/10

The movie does just fine without Rifftrax even today, whereas most horror movies of a similar age do not hold up well at all. Of course, that is one of the things that Rifftrax has going for it that you don't get out of MST3K. They can riff good movies, as well as the cheesy ones. After you have seen a good movie several times, watching it with Rifftrax can give you a new appreciation for it. Sometimes, however, it has the opposite effect, making a movie less watchable because of the stupid things in the movie that Rifftrax pointed out to you.
Oh how Rifftrax made Twilight, something my wife liked, watchable. But definitely a great add-on for the Harry Potter films as well.

500 Days of Summer, 7/10; A quirky romance movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. Tom (Levitt) and Summer (Deschanel) meet at work and start up a relationship. Tom believes in love and is all in, Summer does not believe in love and is not invested in the relationship the same way Tom is. They break up after a while and Tom is devastated. The movie covers Tom's heartbreak as he tries to move on with his life post Summer. Great performances from the lead actors.

I liked it too. I will say that this is not a film I would have guessed you would like. Or watch.

Please don't waste your time even if you are a SF aficionado like me!

3/10

Oh, I thought it was a hoot!

Not art, not good but good for what it was.

It's just too far fetched. Imagine such an advanced alien civilisation that's able to cross at least halfway across the galaxy being foiled by the homo sapiens who lived in that era. I would think they would conquer all the cowboys in just a few minutes and still have time for sightseeing!

I love SF such as the Star Trek franchise and similar. But C and A borders on the ridiculas.

I liked it too. I will say that this is not a film I would have guessed you would like. Or watch.

I just happened to be flicking through stations and caught a few minutes of it near the end and I quite liked the two lead actors so I recorded it and watched it in it's entirety. Otherwise I would never have picked this movie to watch. I liked the melancholy feel to the movie and it was no surprise that The Smiths were referenced in the movie. And I do like The Smiths so it must be the melancholy that sucked me in.

Back
Top Bottom