• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Moonstruck 10/10

So many good moves, laughs, quotable moments. So many implausible lines that the actors pull off anyway.

A delight.

JOHNNY
So. Will you ma...

LORETTA
(interrupting)
Where's the ring?

MR. JOHNNY
(at a loss)
The ring?

BOB AND MOOK [Customers at the next table]ARE WATCHING MR. JOHNNY'S PERFORMANCE

They are deadpan mugs.

BOB
(to Mr. Johnny)
A ring. That's right.

MOOK
I woulda sprung for a ring if it was
me, capishe?

BOBO AND EDDIE STAND NEAR THE KITCHEN WATCHING

BOBO
She's got him on his knees. He's
ruining his suit.

LORETTA AND MR. JOHNNY

LORETTA
You could use your pinky ring.

MR. JOHNNY
I like this ring.

"I like this ring," just floors me. He doesn't want to give up his pinky ring to propose with it.

Closer To Home. At what Price Family?

A brilliant true to life portrayal of Philippines young females desperate to better their families and their own lives.

This strong, effective social drama cross cuts between the cultures of the Philippines and the USA.

Highly rated at 10/10

The Hangover, 8/10; Stars Bradley Cooper in a comedy about four guys going to Vegas for a bachelor party. The guys go out for the evening and wake up the next day with their hotel suite trashed, a tiger in the bathroom, a baby in a closet, very little memory from the night before and the groom is missing. They try to piece the night together so they can find their friend and head back to LA for the wedding. It's very funny although you do have to suspend belief a fair bit for some of it to work, like driving back to LA from Vegas in just over three hours, LOL. I haven't seen any of the sequels but I can't imagine them being as good as this.

The Hangover, 8/10; Stars Bradley Cooper in a comedy about four guys going to Vegas for a bachelor party. The guys go out for the evening and wake up the next day with their hotel suite trashed, a tiger in the bathroom, a baby in a closet, very little memory from the night before and the groom is missing. They try to piece the night together so they can find their friend and head back to LA for the wedding. It's very funny although you do have to suspend belief a fair bit for some of it to work, like driving back to LA from Vegas in just over three hours, LOL. I haven't seen any of the sequels but I can't imagine them being as good as this.

Don't waste you time on any of the sequels. You'll be disappointed.

Kathleen played the sultry temptress role again in the movie The Man With Two Brains starring Steve Martin which was a good comedy. I'd Rate 8.5/10

Body Heat

:rolleyes: I didn't like it at all.

Are we discussing the same movie? The devius, sultry diva using her sexiness to con a mortal, red blooded man to murder her husband has it all. Drama, nudity, and of course Kathleen Turner. [as she was then]

What do you want? It felt dated...Slow...Predictable, and as "tension" built up, the "heat", which is a "character" in this movie , increased to a point it was comical...
Also, the breaking of the door seemed like, "Dude, what the fuck? You owe me a fucking door, you moron! "
Kathleen Turner was very hot, I agree, but that is not the issue.

RyFIwQ.jpg

Highwaymen.

I loved it early on. By the end I was less happy.

Nothing wrong with it. This isn't a complaint. But I was no longer transported.

So I watched Bonny and Clyde for contrast/comparison. Fast forwarded a lot.

Then I went back to Highwaymen, watched the parts I liked, the, "We're putting the band back together," part.

These bits:

1. From when we first see Keven Costner until his wife watches him drive away.
2. From the establishing shot on Woody Harrelson's house until Costner tells him to get in the car.

Then I called my wife and re-watched that much with her. It's fine movie making.

That much of this movie ... is one of my favorite movies.

Highwaymen.

I loved it early on. By the end I was less happy.

Nothing wrong with it. This isn't a complaint. But I was no longer transported.

So I watched Bonny and Clyde for contrast/comparison. Fast forwarded a lot.

Then I went back to Highwaymen, watched the parts I liked, the, "We're putting the band back together," part.

These bits:

1. From when we first see Keven Costner until his wife watches him drive away.
2. From the establishing shot on Woody Harrelson's house until Costner tells him to get in the car.

Then I called my wife and re-watched that much with her. It's fine movie making.

That much of this movie ... is one of my favorite movies.

Damn, that looks good! Great cinematography! Can't wait to see it! I've seen "Bonnie and Clyde", and this is better.

https://gocreativeshow.com/the-highwaymen-cinematography-with-john-schwartzman/

In April 1945, the Allies are making their final push in the European theater. A battle-hardened Army sergeant named Don "Wardaddy" Collier (Brad Pitt), leading a Sherman tank and a five-man crew, undertakes a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Hopelessly outnumbered, outgunned and saddled with an inexperienced soldier (Logan Lerman) in their midst, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds as they move to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.

rated 8/10

Deadpool 2 - I think I stand in the minority thinking that the sequel was better than the original, of which I liked as well. The movie managed to have a solidly cohesive plot, completely twisted manner of telling it, and the ultimate conclusion was pretty clean. The film does go over the line a few times, but not to the point of unchecked gratuitousness. 3 of 4

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, 7/10; Stars a lot of familiar names. The plot is not important or even relevant, it's a fun listen to Abba's catalog of music.

[

Damn, that looks good! Great cinematography! Can't wait to see it! I've seen "Bonnie and Clyde", and this is better.

https://gocreativeshow.com/the-highwaymen-cinematography-with-john-schwartzman/

Thanks for posting that. I notice that at one point it differs from what is actually in the movie.

In the trailer, Costner says, "You're not even packed," and Harrelson holds up his (ancient) toothbrush.

In the actual movie, they cut Costner's line. They use the same footage of Harrelson, but they digitally remove the toothbrush.

The Adventures Of Priscilla Queen Of The Desert .

The plot follows two drag queens played by Hugo Weaving and Guy Pearce and a transgender woman, played by Terence Stamp, as they journey across the Australian Outback from Sydney to Alice Springs in a tour bus that they have named "Priscilla", along the way encountering various groups and individuals.

6/10

That reminds me of the movie Australia starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman.

With the globe on the brink of World War II, Lady Sarah Ashley (Nicole Kidman) travels from Britain to Australia to inspect a cattle ranch she inherited. Reluctantly joining forces with a rugged local known as the Drover (Hugh Jackman), she sets out on a cattle drive across hundreds of miles of harsh terrain to save her ranch. But when they finally reach the town of Darwin, they must contend with the same Japanese bombers that just rained death upon Pearl Harbor.
Initial release: 26 November 2008 (USA)
Director: Baz Luhrmann
Box office: 211.3 million USD
Budget: 130 million USD

4.5/10 It's about 1.5 hours too long. :p

Back
Top Bottom