• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Any Questions for Ben? 7/10

Existential angst blended with a nice little love story on a bed of a great visual ad. for Melbourne and Victoria.

What's Easter without a religious fantasy blockbuster or two.

The Ten Commandments A little long in the tooth now as it was made in 1956.

Starring Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner and Anne Baxter and a cast of thousands, including Edward G Robinson.

As long as it's not taken seriously, it's a true blockbuster.

8.5/10

My Friend Dahmer, 6/10; Based on the book, the movie is the story of serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer's early life or last couple of years in high school as told by classmate John Backderf. There's nothing particularly menacing about the young Dahmer. He is an oddball and a bit weird of course but he doesn't seem particularly threatening or dangerous. The movie ends just after he graduates and he is picking up a hitchhiker who will be his first victim. It's an ok movie but it's fairly pedestrian and it seems like an attempt by the author to make a few bucks off the back of his acquaintance with Dahmer.

Avengers Endgame.

A movie full of fan service. I think I wanted more. Infinity War in spite of its bombast was wonderful. The opening scene was perfect and I wanted more of it. Sometimes it came along. There were definately surprises. The end was not what was talked about for years and it’s hard to see how the MCU will continue given this - at least in some respects. I do hope I saw the genesis of a movie that will make the incels wet the bed.
Already have my second ticket for tonight and do look forward to it.

Avengers Endgame.

A movie full of fan service. I think I wanted more. Infinity War in spite of its bombast was wonderful. The opening scene was perfect and I wanted more of it. Sometimes it came along. There were definately surprises. The end was not what was talked about for years and it’s hard to see how the MCU will continue given this - at least in some respects. I do hope I saw the genesis of a movie that will make the incels wet the bed.
Already have my second ticket for tonight and do look forward to it.

I have not seen the movie yet, have tickets for Sunday evening but wanted to comment on the above in bold. Avengers: End Game marks the end of phase 3 of the MCU, and it is expected that the Avengers will no longer carry the MCU torch in phase 4. Current rumor is that the Eternals will take over at the center of the MCU in phase 4, and an Eternals movie is currently being cast, and should start production later this year. Before that comes out, however, we will see Spider-Man: Far From Home, which could possibly start laying the ground work for phase 4. Black Widow and Black Panther 2 are also starting production later this year, and they may both come out before the Eternals move. If they do come out first, expect those two movies to provide some heavy clues for the future of the MCU.

I saw Clerks again yesterday. Damn that's a good movie. It's pure genius. The fact that the actors are shit makes it all the more impressive. One of the best dialogues ever created. Extremely fun to watch... still

I saw Clerks again yesterday. Damn that's a good movie. It's pure genius. The fact that the actors are shit makes it all the more impressive. One of the best dialogues ever created. Extremely fun to watch... still

Didn't that movie spawn the TV series The Office?

Avengers: End Game marks the end of phase 3 of the MCU ... Spider-Man: Far From Home, which could possibly start laying the ground work for phase 4.
FYI in terms of official insider info, it's been confirmed by marvel studios that spider-man: far from home is the final movie of phase 3, not endgame.

Three Billboards. It was stunningly good.

--

A friend told me they're going to do a sequel. I said, "Four Billboards?"

Avengers: End Game marks the end of phase 3 of the MCU ... Spider-Man: Far From Home, which could possibly start laying the ground work for phase 4.
FYI in terms of official insider info, it's been confirmed by marvel studios that spider-man: far from home is the final movie of phase 3, not endgame.

Did not know that, thanks for the info. Looks less likely that it will offer any clues as to the focus for phase 4.

Did not know that, thanks for the info. Looks less likely that it will offer any clues as to the focus for phase 4.
it's been very strongly in the past 2 years through various interviews and little side comments and a now-possibly-no-longer-relevant position announcement that phase 4 is going to be way more cosmic focused, with your captain marvels and your guardians of the galaxy and the eternals and what not expanding the MCU away from earth and into a far broader canvas.
the possibly-no-longer-relevant bit being that in i think 2017 is was announced that james gunn was being given the reins for the entirety of phase 4, though obviously that was before he was fired.
now that he's been rehired i haven't heard anything with regards to whether or not he's also being brought back into that role or if he's just back to direct GoTG 3.

and back to the purpose of the thread:

shazam! - 2.5/10
if this is the best the DC movie franchise has to offer (and so far it seems to be) then wow that is just sad.
it wanted to be a throwback to 80s kid-oriented adventure films and failed utterly - it wanted to be E.T. but ended up being mac and me.
it wanted to be a DC movie that didn't suck and it failed there too because it didn't do anything remotely interesting with the premise or execution.
none of the characters or their motivations or behaviors were believable, the setup was the worst possible version it could have been for the various pieces of the narrative, and ONCE AGAIN warner brothers pathetically tried to ape the marvel formula and failed spectacularly while also staring important lessons about structure and tone directly in the face and then shrugging and making the same mistakes 10 years later in a way that makes them look utterly ridiculous.

unicorn store - 3/10
wow there is so much to unpack with how utterly wrong every aspect of this movie was.
it's not that it failed so much as it just had the worst possible version of everything it was going for, and it also had the misfortune or being very reminiscent (in terms of theme and attempts at pathos) of MUCH better movies.
i remember while watching it distinctly thinking "this is like the worst possible version you could ever have of 'swiss army man'", the other thing it reminded me of was Kabluey which is IMO every single darling indie cliche this movie wants to be but isn't.

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot.

It's an Amazon Prime movie, so free with your membership but you can also rent or buy it. It's worth the rental. Worth buying. It's really, really good.

Joaquin Phoenix stars in the true story of John Callahan, a cartoonist who took up drawing cartoons after being paralyzed in a car accident and struggling for years with alcoholism. Jonah Hill plays his AA sponsor, Rooney Mara a kind therapist who helps him after the accident, and there's some other "names" in supporting roles like Jack Black, Carrie Brownstein, Udo Kier, and Kim Gordon (from Sonic Youth). Gus Van Sant directs.

This is another Phoenix performance that makes you wonder why he doesn't have a mantle full of Oscars. And Jonah Hill runs rings around him. They have this chemistry together that's pitch perfect for their relationship in the story. The way it unfolds leaves no surprises for you as far as the basic outline of the plot, since Van Sant starts it out with a montage of Callahan telling his story in different settings...a small group, an AA meeting, and in a lecture hall. You know from the beginning of his disability, why it happened, and that he overcame the challenges of his life, but the surprises are the emotional moments in his journey. It's alternately funny, touching, and heartbreaking. I very rarely tear up watching movies. This was one.

And it deals with addiction and recovery in a way that's both direct and deft. Callahan overcame his addiction through 12 step, so there's a lot about "higher power" and those steps, but setting aside whatever you might think about that program is easy because it is handled so well. It's honest, earnest, and doesn't fall into tropes or preaching like some films dealing with the subject I've seen.

9/10

Captain Marvel (with spoilers, but mild) - Yeah, was finally able to see this.

I felt like I was watching Captain America over again, not that it rips the story off, but more the hollowish feeling after watching it because it ends up being super hero that is totally unmatched in the end. Underseer responded about my complaint way back in the day noting that it needed to support Captain America as being super enough to be an Avenger in the first place. But it still feels hollow.

One major trouble with being the umpteenth member of a comic book universe to get a film, it gets harder and harder to present an origin story that is fresh. This film suffers from that and the audience just knowing too much about the universe at this point. The film is starting out (and I know 0% about Captain Marvel other than her name was Carol Danvers, and I'm not certain why I knew that) and I'm getting a feeling I've seen this angle before... in She-ra... and I was right. Much like every other seemingly transparent 'twist' in the film. The film goes through the motions, the plot remains, if not cliche at this point, coherent except for one minor part that leads to the whole chase thing on Earth to begin with.

Casting, CGI, effects were all very good and I look much more forward to Captain Marvel battling it out with much greater enemies.

3 of 4

I love Clerks so very much :) Been thinking of watching Chasing Amy again lately, hope it still holds up well as well.

Dark Money.

A documentary that focuses on Montana...a state that a little over a century ago was a "company town" owned by mining interests. Every level of government was controlled by corporate money. The people fought back, enacted laws that curbed corporate influence in elections, and had a good run throughout the rest of the 20th.

Then following Citizens United, corruption flowed right back in. A comparatively small state (population wise) became ground zero for the new model of campaign finance. The interesting thing is that most of the elected officials (and candidates) harmed by the influx of dark money were conservative Republicans. Dedicated public servants who just wanted to represent their constituents were purged from their own party because they didn't play ball with the moneyed interests behind their opponents.

It's a good movie, but very depressing. 7/10.

The Day The Earth Stood Still the original 1951 version which apart from the special effects of the 2008 version [ Klaatu (Keanu Reeves), an extraterrestrial visitor to planet Earth, becomes the herald of upheaval on a global scale. As the world's governments and scientists race to understand what is happening and how to stop it, Dr. Helen Benson (Jennifer Connelly) and her stepson come to understand the chilling ramifications behind Klaatu's statement that he is a "friend to the Earth."] wipes the floor with the latter version.

The original : An alien lands and tells the people of Earth that they must live peacefully or be destroyed as a danger to other planets.

I watched the Keanu Reeves version last night and still enjoyed it, but not a patch on the original.

8.5/10 for the 1951 version, 5/10 for Keanu Reeves version.

Avengers: Endgame
10000/10
(for MCU watchers)
Whywouldyouevencare?/10 (for anyone else)

Avengers: Endgame is exactly the movie it should have been to wrap up a series of over 20 movies. It wasn't balls to the wall action from the word "go" like Infinity War was, and takes a little more time getting going, but every scene has its place. All of the original Avengers are given some amount of character development before wrapping up their respective arcs, even those who have not yet been given their own movies. There is a ton of fan service and numerous Easter Eggs sprinkled about. There were even some legitimate surprises in store. If you have paid any attention at all to the MCU, and you have seen Infinity War, you must go see this movie, you really have no choice. It is probably best to go see it right now so that you don't have any of the surprises spoiled. If you are wondering what this MCU thing is that everyone is talking about, don't bother, this movie isn't for you.

I love Clerks so very much :) Been thinking of watching Chasing Amy again lately, hope it still holds up well as well.

Clerks 2 is also great.

- - - Updated - - -

Dark Money.

A documentary that focuses on Montana...a state that a little over a century ago was a "company town" owned by mining interests. Every level of government was controlled by corporate money. The people fought back, enacted laws that curbed corporate influence in elections, and had a good run throughout the rest of the 20th.

Then following Citizens United, corruption flowed right back in. A comparatively small state (population wise) became ground zero for the new model of campaign finance. The interesting thing is that most of the elected officials (and candidates) harmed by the influx of dark money were conservative Republicans. Dedicated public servants who just wanted to represent their constituents were purged from their own party because they didn't play ball with the moneyed interests behind their opponents.

It's a good movie, but very depressing. 7/10.

Only if it's true. What did Snopes say? Documentaries have an abysmal track record.

Back
Top Bottom