• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Some Billy Crystal flick that repeats on HBO. Billy Crystal is annoying.

Machine Gun Preacher I should have known better that any film starring Gerald Butler is bound to be a stinker. Plot........A former drug dealing biker finds god and becomes a crusader for Sudanese children.

Butler is in the Ben Afleck, Adam Sandler and Ashton Kulcher mould as the worst of the worst actors who have ever lived!!!! 0/10

- - - Updated - - -

Some Billy Crystal flick that repeats on HBO. Billy Crystal is annoying.

There are far better comedians around that's for sure, although I enjoyed When Sally Met Harry somewhat.

King Solomon's Mines
2/10
Did you ever want to see Richard Chamberlain and Sharon Stone doing a ripoff of Indiana Jones?
Because this movie is just that
But really you would be better off just watching Indiana Jones
the 2 points are for some hilariously corny dialogue

Xtinction: Predator X
0/10
By the time this movie becomes interesting......oh wait....this movie never becomes interesting
Terrible acting
Awful CGI
Horrible plot
and just overall a movie that isn't just bad, but kinda offensive to your sensibilities
Kill this movie with fire if you ever come across it

Battle For Terra
5/10
This is an animated movie that has alot of good ideas
it just never quite takes the time to form them into something more
So you are always left with half a scene, half a message, and half characters who are interesting, and could have been so much more
So I would give this a try if you like Sci-Fi movies
But don't expect to be blown away

Razortooth
6/10
So this is the better end of the low budget movies
It is corny, over the top and hits enough buttons to be at least somewhat fun, even as it maybe tries to hard and loses you at the end
Still you can do worse

King Solomon's Mines
2/10
Did you ever want to see Richard Chamberlain and Sharon Stone doing a ripoff of Indiana Jones?
Because this movie is just that
But really you would be better off just watching Indiana Jones
the 2 points are for some hilariously corny dialogue

Not to mention the fact that the sequel to this one is actually worse.

My latest movie:

The Fifth Element

8/10

Luc Besson's sci-fi thriller is inventive but over the top. Besson presents a visually stunning future, Bruce Willis anchors the film with a solid performance and Milla Jovovich is good in her breakout role. ON the downside, the plot is unbelievably chaotic and Chris Tucker's character is in Jar-Jar Binks territory for being an annoyance to the audience.

My latest movie:

The Fifth Element

8/10

Luc Besson's sci-fi thriller is inventive but over the top. Besson presents a visually stunning future, Bruce Willis anchors the film with a solid performance and Milla Jovovich is good in her breakout role. ON the downside, the plot is unbelievably chaotic and Chris Tucker's character is in Jar-Jar Binks territory for being an annoyance to the audience.

Every time I talk to guys about this movie, this is invariably a comment they make. When I talk to women about this movie, they tell me Chris Tucker is the best thing about the movie. :D

Grand Budapest Hotel 10/10

Even though all Wes Anderssons films are basically just the same film repeated... I'm in love with them. His style. I can never get enough. I loved it. All the details, like the killers coat. The ridiculous escape scene.

Mirrors 5/10

Decent horror. But stale stereotype characters. Keifer Southerland acts his part well, but it's a pretty boring part. The mother is a terrible actress. The mirror gimmick gets a bit worn and the film becomes predictable. In the last half I just wanted them to get on with it. The end did not surprise me one bit. Mind you, I've seen a lot of horror. So I know the tropes. I only watched this because I was on a date with a girl and this was her favourite film.

Mirrors 2 1/10

Why did they even bother. Complete crap from start to finish. If the gimmick was overused in the first film imagine my impression of the next film. They added nothing new this time. Just rinse repeat, with crap actors and a preposterous story.

Snowpiercer 8/10

A movie with a seemingly absurd premise that is never properly explained (but that's not inherently a bad thing in movies). After an attempt to curb global warming goes horribly wrong and earth descends into a new ice age that covers the entire planet and kills off all life, the only remaining survivors live onboard a train called the Snowpiercer, which constantly loops around the planet once a year.

The tail end of the train is a slum section where people live in squalor, having "protein blocks" delivered to them to keep them fed. At the front end of the train the upper class live in opulent splendour. The tail end dwellers decide to organise an uprising and fight their way to the front of the train and confront the front enders.

Despite some plot holes that distracted me and silliness towards the end that reminded me of the confusing senseless conversation between Neo and the Architect in The Matrix Reloaded, it works really well as a movie.

Here's the trailer:

[YOUTUBE]r6UmqNuMdY4[/YOUTUBE]

My latest movie:

The Fifth Element

8/10

I don't know, the Ruby Rod character was supposed to be annoying but I thought that Besson did enough with it to at least warrant its inclusion in the film. Jar Jar just made you want to reach through the screen and strangle him, then stalk off to find Lucas for more of the same treatment.

Agree with your rating though - it's a great film if a bit excessive at times. Still I think that's what makes it work. See Lockout for a more grounded SF attempt by Besson (Producer and screenwriter). It stars Guy Pierce so I thought it might be worth a look, I was so, so wrong. Drivel.

My latest movie:

The Fifth Element

8/10

I don't know, the Ruby Rod character was supposed to be annoying but I thought that Besson did enough with it to at least warrant its inclusion in the film. Jar Jar just made you want to reach through the screen and strangle him, then stalk off to find Lucas for more of the same treatment.

Agree with your rating though - it's a great film if a bit excessive at times. Still I think that's what makes it work. See Lockout for a more grounded SF attempt by Besson (Producer and screenwriter). It stars Guy Pierce so I thought it might be worth a look, I was so, so wrong. Drivel.

Lockout was so incredibly bad. I have no idea what possessed Guy Pierce to star in it.

La Sirene Rouge/Red Siren

7/10

This is a slick French thriller that seems to draw inspiration from Leon/The Professional; like the earlier film it features a hardened killer becoming the protector of a 12-13 year old girl. The script has many implausibilities and the direction is uneven, with some action sequences being very hard to follow. However, Alexandra Negrao, who spent most of her fairly short career in Portuguese television, is very winning and sympathetic as the young protagonist, and there's a strong supporting performance from Asia Argento.

Alone in the Wilderness (2004) - 10/10

Fascinating and uplifting film about one man, Dick Proenneke, going out in the wilderness and building a log cabin for himself. All of it is filmed by him. It makes you wonder just how much we as individuals are capable of.

The Fifth Element is just a full on over the top film. What I really like about the film is Eric Serra's soundtrack to it. Very fresh.
and since we're on about the 5th element...

luc besson's new sci-fi movie, Lucy, is out in theaters now - go see it!

Sorry, I'm too busy trying to jump-start the 90% of my brain that's been farking off for the last 60 years.
The human only uses 10% of their brain's capacity... as is evident from the script for this film.

Snowpiercer 8/10

A movie with a seemingly absurd premise that is never properly explained (but that's not inherently a bad thing in movies). After an attempt to curb global warming goes horribly wrong and earth descends into a new ice age that covers the entire planet and kills off all life, the only remaining survivors live onboard a train called the Snowpiercer, which constantly loops around the planet once a year.

The tail end of the train is a slum section where people live in squalor, having "protein blocks" delivered to them to keep them fed. At the front end of the train the upper class live in opulent splendour. The tail end dwellers decide to organise an uprising and fight their way to the front of the train and confront the front enders.

Despite some plot holes that distracted me and silliness towards the end that reminded me of the confusing senseless conversation between Neo and the Architect in The Matrix Reloaded, it works really well as a movie.

Here's the trailer:

[YOUTUBE]r6UmqNuMdY4[/YOUTUBE]

Just saw this myself. Definitely worth a viewing.

Le Bossu/On Guard

9/10

This is a first-rate swashbuckler from France, the land of Dumas, where you'd expect they would know how to do a film like this right. Along with the expected dazzling duels, this one serves up plenty of intrigue and romance. Daniel Auteuil is a terrific hero, whether he's portraying a master swordsman or disguised as a hunchback. Fabrice Luchini is a terrific sly schemer of a villain, while Marie Gillain is a spirited young heroine who does a bit of swashbuckling of her own. The film also looks great, with production and costume design capturing the feel of the early 18th century setting.

Back
Top Bottom