• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Saw this last Friday at the cinema:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHi-a1n8t7M[/YOUTUBE]

And this (by same director) on Monday night on Netflix:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYzFieit8dI[/YOUTUBE]

Noah Baumbach is currently one of my very favourite directors.

His films are heavily influenced by his own childhood experiences, especially his parents' failed marriage, and 'Marriage Story' is apparently quite autobiographical in parts regarding his own divorce.

If I had to sum up his style in one phrase, it'd be 'Post Woody Allen, with less (and slightly blacker) comedy'. If you dug Woody Allen films, you'll probably enjoy Baumbach's. If you weren't taken by Woody Allen's stuff, you probably won't dig Baumbach's ( to me, very poignant) films.

Nicholson was the definitive Joker until Christian Bale.

No one had played the part before him except Cesar Romero, and no one played the part after him, except in voice-overs for animation, until Heath Ledger (not Christian Bale), so that's not exactly a high bar.

Sorry, that's what I meant.

Nicholson was the definitive Joker until Christian Bale.

No one had played the part before him except Cesar Romero, and no one played the part after him, except in voice-overs for animation, until Heath Ledger (not Christian Bale), so that's not exactly a high bar.

Jokers.jpg

My opinions, Mark Hamill played the best Joker. Ledger played a great psychopath, but didn't feel much like the Joker for the most part. Jack was the only one who played it with the smile handled correctly. It is not makeup, it is not scars, his face is just permanently stuck that way.

My favorite Joker story was done by one of my favorite authors F. Paul Wilson Definitive Therapy. It is about a new doctor at Arkham who gets assigned to Joker.

In my humble opinion Nicholson was the ultimate Joker. He added a little humor to the role, and never took himself too serious.

Looking at Wiki, it seems that Joker has had lots of personas in the comics over the years. So people who have played him, have been playing different versions of him as he once was. I wasn't all too aware of that before.

Different actors play Batman, too. And none of them are alike.

Same with Superman, Sherlock Holmes, Winston Churchill, Jesus, King Arthur....

Watched a bit of nostalgia last night. Actually a laugh out loud mid 60's classic titled The Glass Bottom Boat. Starring one of my favourite all time Aussie actors of the time Rod Taylor. Also starring Doris Day. A widow is mistaken for a spy when she is hired by a research scientist [Taylor].

Doris at her usual wacky persona shines in this little gem. 7.5/10

I recently re-watched Winter's Bone

Jennifer Lawrence stars as Ree Dolly, a 17 year old girl taking care of her mentally ill mother and two younger siblings deep in the Ozarks. Her burdens increase exponentially when the sheriff tells her that her father Jessup, out on bond and facing a stiff sentence for cooking meth, has disappeared. He warns her that Jessup made the deed to the house part of his bond, and if he doesn't show up for his court date the family will be evicted. Ree has no choice but to find her father even though she knows it's dangerous to go looking.

The movie won the Grand Jury Prize: Dramatic Film at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival, and was nominated for Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay at the Academy Awards. Lawrence was nominated for Best Actress, and John Hawkes, who plays Ree's sullenly ferocious uncle Teardrop, was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. And yes, it really is that good.

9/10

Jennifer Lawrence stars as Ree Dolly, a 17 year old girl taking care of her mentally ill mother and two younger siblings deep in the Ozarks. Her burdens increase exponentially when the sheriff tells her that her father Jessup, out on bond and facing a stiff sentence for cooking meth, has disappeared. He warns her that Jessup made the deed to the house part of his bond, and if he doesn't show up for his court date the family will be evicted. Ree has no choice but to find her father even though she knows it's dangerous to go looking.

The movie won the Grand Jury Prize: Dramatic Film at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival, and was nominated for Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay at the Academy Awards. Lawrence was nominated for Best Actress, and John Hawkes, who plays Ree's sullenly ferocious uncle Teardrop, was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. And yes, it really is that good.

9/10

Excellent adaptation of an even better book. Lawrence was terrific.

Yes, it really is that good.

9/10

Definitely not a date movie, but I also thought it was excellent.

Winter's Bone I've added to my watch list. It had better be good or you lot are going to be getting it !

Midway 8/10

What a blast of a movie. Whenever a couple of guys are talking about their feelings, then the dialogue can get clunky. But the action scenes were absolutely intense. Don't miss this one in the theaters if you can. You do not want to watch this on your phone sitting in the bathtub (which is apparently a thing.)

The Mule, 5/10; A Clint Eastwood production which is why I watched it. Stars Clint Eastwood and Bradley Cooper and some other well known faces. This movie was disappointing, not one of Clint's best efforts. It's the tale of a very elderly horticulturist with family baggage who somehow gets recruited as a "mule" to transport drugs across the states for a Mexican cartel. There is nothing interesting in the movie and it lacks the usual wit for a Clint Eastwood movie. Some scenes seem contrived, hurried, poorly laid out and out of place.

Back
Top Bottom