• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Another short film on Dust. They've had a few films featuring actors who went onto bigger things, but this is the first one I've seen with "name" actors, and oh boy...is it good. Marisa Tomei and Minnie Driver. I watched it, and then watched it again.

Loving Adults, 6/10; Streaming on Netflix this crime thriller comes from Denmark and was dubbed into English so the dialogue is underwhelming as the tone of the dubbing doesn't convey the original emotional delivery. It starts off pretty good, a female jogger is killed by a hit and run driver. The film is narrated by way of a detective telling the story of the case to his daughter. The story goes back to the beginning of a story about a husband who is having an affair with a work colleague. His wife figures out what is going on and confronts him and tells him to end it or she will go to the police about his fraudulent tax evasion for which he is already under investigation. Things escalate and the husband has his back to the wall. The last third doesn't live up to the build up. It's reasonably good but the ending is a bit flat and unsatisfactory.

Moonfall 7/10

Warning!
This movie can cause severe trauma in anyone trying to use any understanding of physics. An astrophysicist has reportedly gone into seizures on seeing a screen shot of the film.

Ok, so this is basically a CGI big disaster movie, with cities being destroyed, etc.. Plenty of plot holes, a 2 year old's understanding of science. But we actually enjoyed the movie. Basic story, the moon is spiraling down into earth. Main character is an astronaut who was disgraced when there was a disaster on a shuttle mission. He saw something alien attacking them, but nobody believed him. Then there is the conspiracy guy who believes the moon is an artificial construct, and is the first to realize that its orbit has changed. Turns out he is right, the moon is artificial. Third is another former astronaut, who survived the shuttle disaster, but didn't see the alien thing, and is now high ranked in NASA.

If you can get past the bad science (the really, really bad science) then it is actually a pretty fun film.

Moonfall 7/10

Warning!
This movie can cause severe trauma in anyone trying to use any understanding of physics. An astrophysicist has reportedly gone into seizures on seeing a screen shot of the film.

Ok, so this is basically a CGI big disaster movie, with cities being destroyed, etc.. Plenty of plot holes, a 2 year old's understanding of science. But we actually enjoyed the movie. Basic story, the moon is spiraling down into earth. Main character is an astronaut who was disgraced when there was a disaster on a shuttle mission. He saw something alien attacking them, but nobody believed him. Then there is the conspiracy guy who believes the moon is an artificial construct, and is the first to realize that its orbit has changed. Turns out he is right, the moon is artificial. Third is another former astronaut, who survived the shuttle disaster, but didn't see the alien thing, and is now high ranked in NASA.

If you can get past the bad science (the really, really bad science) then it is actually a pretty fun film.
I loved that film. It's the perfect disaster movie (insofar as that's possible for a movie Ernest Borgnine isn't in), and it's a great exploration of an alternate reality in which the nutty conspiracy theorists are right, and the laws of physics aren't.

It's basically a very well done satirical comedy, that works brilliantly by being played completely straight.

I didn't see it on the big screen, which is probably a mistake, as the SFX were likely better in that medium - they certainly spent enough money on them that they really ought to have impressed if viewed on a larger scale than my living room TV.

Moonfall 7/10

If you can get past the bad science ...
I'm reminded of the book Flight of the Old Dog, which put a satellite in a geosynchronous polar orbit.
When it comes to stupid moon plots, it's hard to top the Doctor Who episode where the moon was revealed to be an egg of a giant space bird. The "moon" hatched into a bird, and then the bird immediately laid another moon egg and everything was as before.

Moonfall 7/10

I'm reminded of the book Flight of the Old Dog, which put a satellite in a geosynchronous polar orbit.
When it comes to stupid moon plots, it's hard to top the Doctor Who episode where the moon was revealed to be an egg of a giant space bird. The "moon" hatched into a bird, and then the bird immediately laid another moon egg and everything was as before.
I despise that episode.

Moonfall 7/10

I despise that episode.
Moon eggs ain't gonna lay themselves man.

Moonfall 7/10

Well moon egg is very high up on the stupid. But in this the military naturally has the idea to launch all our nukes to stop the moon from crashing into the earth. So many problems with that plan, but that is not the stupid part...

what was really bad was they would have to wait until the moon enters the stratosphere to launch.

The STRATOSPHERE...!!!!! And you know what? It does get that far, and one of the guys with the launch keys decides to not launch, instead to trust his astronaut ex-wife that they can stop the moon.

How does this movie manage to be worth watching? Dumb science isn't necessarily a problem, but if a movie is saturated with it, and things just work out in the end... I can't see how that works. Reminds me of 2012, where the dumb was just too dumb.

How does this movie manage to be worth watching? Dumb science isn't necessarily a problem, but if a movie is saturated with it, and things just work out in the end... I can't see how that works. Reminds me of 2012, where the dumb was just too dumb.
In part by not trying to justify the bad science. They don't spend time trying to explain how something stupid is actually rational, they just go with it. Sort of like how Fast and Furious movies just have their action scenes without someone spending time trying to say 'yea, cars can actually do that, and this is how'.

In part by not trying to justify the bad science. They don't spend time trying to explain how something stupid is actually rational, they just go with it. Sort of like how Fast and Furious movies just have their action scenes without someone spending time trying to say 'yea, cars can actually do that, and this is how'.
Exactly. The Force wasn't a problem for audiences, until Midichlorians rendered it laughably unbelievable and stupid.

Exactly. The Force wasn't a problem for audiences, until Midichlorians rendered it laughably unbelievable and stupid.
But this only carries so much weight. At some point, it passes a threshold of too dumb to care.

Polar, 3/10; Streaming on Netflix stars Mads Mikkelsen, Vanessa Hudgens and Matt Lucas as a very camp, over the top comical villain. The story is meaningless but there is a story to this gore-fest as top assassin Vizla tries to retire from the firm and not be killed by his younger colleagues. This movie is a poor knock off of the John Wick genre. There are a couple of decent scenes but for the most part the movie is not worth watching.

Emily the Criminal. Rent on Apple/Amazon. 7/10

A well written story that moves along nicely, justifying itself as it goes. It is a crime story that has no over the top scenes. The protagonist is an average person with all the debts, baggage, and low paying job one might expect who gets into petty crime and things get a bit out of control.

Back
Top Bottom