• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Hellraiser (2022) Hulu - 5/10 - A meh of a movie.
I actually really liked it, mostly for the exposition and the message. I would put it a 7/10, mostly on account of bad lighting decisions. The film is too consistently dark and it was hard to make out some of the scenes. The dialogue also had annoyingly inconsistent volume.

I actually really liked it, mostly for the exposition and the message. I would put it a 7/10, mostly on account of bad lighting decisions. The film is too consistently dark and it was hard to make out some of the scenes. The dialogue also had annoyingly inconsistent volume.
The lighting kinda drove me crazy too. And the original male Pinhead was more dramatic.

The lighting kinda drove me crazy too. And the original male Pinhead was more dramatic.
The problem is that they didn't really touch on the nature of the cenobites in the original movie, how they were sadomasochistic hedonists that had gone WAY too far, and how the box was an eater of sacrifices in exchange for a Devil's Deal.

The whole of it was laid out much better in this presentation, right along with the way that this evil recruited fresh torturers.

The Outfit, 6/10; Streaming on Amazon stars Mark Rylance as a "cutter" in an exclusive bespoke tailor shop in Chicago in the late fifties. The shop acts as some sort of drop off/collection point for the mob/Outfit. The entire movie takes place in the shop with a small cast, coming and going. The plot is a bit fanciful, lots of twists and turns as Leonard (Rylance) plays the antagonists against each other in a game of cat and mouse in order to survive as the various characters try to figure out who the "rat" is that is going to inform the FBI on what is going on. Well acted and the plot twists keep you guessing but overall it's a pretty drab movie.

The Outfit, 6/10; Streaming on Amazon stars Mark Rylance as a "cutter" in an exclusive bespoke tailor shop in Chicago in the late fifties. The shop acts as some sort of drop off/collection point for the mob/Outfit. The entire movie takes place in the shop with a small cast, coming and going. The plot is a bit fanciful, lots of twists and turns as Leonard (Rylance) plays the antagonists against each other in a game of cat and mouse in order to survive as the various characters try to figure out who the "rat" is that is going to inform the FBI on what is going on. Well acted and the plot twists keep you guessing but overall it's a pretty drab movie.
That sounds interesting. Too bad I don't have Amazon.

Saw The Fifth Element at film group. Never seen it without ads, or the start at all. 7/10

Then went home and watched Jindabyne. 9/10

HELP. There is a film about someone who starts each day as a new person. I saw all of it except the last few minutes, and it irks. I can't remember its name to access it.

There is an American version, whose name I have also forgotten. When I went to the Wiki for that film there was no mention, oddly, of the original.

Can anyone with a better memory than mine help me out?

Saw The Fifth Element at film group. Never seen it without ads, or the start at all. 7/10

Then went home and watched Jindabyne. 9/10

HELP. There is a film about someone who starts each day as a new person. I saw all of it except the last few minutes, and it irks. I can't remember its name to access it.

There is an American version, whose name I have also forgotten. When I went to the Wiki for that film there was no mention, oddly, of the original.

Can anyone with a better memory than mine help me out?
Memento?

Memento with Guy Pearce?
The gimmick in memento was that the protagonist couldn’t form new memories. So, no, must have been a different movie.

Tyrannosaur, 9/10; Streaming on Kanopy, this excellent drama stars Peter Mullen, Olivia Colman and Eddie Marsan. It takes place in a North England town. The central character is a widower who is a heavy drinker, probably suffering from depression and prone to violence. After a violent episode in the pub, Joseph hides in a charity shop. The woman in the shop is religious and offers prayers which sets Joseph off on a tirade. The story is about these two characters coming together, dealing with their problems, trust and friendship. It can be very dark and intense. The acting is excellent.

Fatman
4/10

A rich kid who gets a lump of coal for Christmas hires an assassin to kill Santa Claus. This movie has the plot simplicity of a children's holiday movie, but violence and language of an adult movie, so I have no idea what its intended target demographic is. Maybe 10-13 year-olds who want to feel like they're watching something edgy that's not a "kid's movie", even though basically it is one.

I liked it okay. For a movie that long though, there was less character development than there could have been. It also wasn't as depraved as the original, which is an important part of this particular story. In the original, the viewer sees the main antagonist's vice(s) send her into utter murderous depravity just to satisfy her lust, fully knowing what's going to happen to her victims. This movie merely hints at it whereas the original gave many viewers the feeling that they maybe shouldn't be watching this.

But the special effects are good. The Cenobites look great, and the filmmakers did a great job in creating a foreboding and dread-filled atmosphere. I was largely entertained throughout.

I rate horror on a different scale than all other movies. This one gets a 6.5/10. I love horror but the vast majority are cheaply made, poorly written, and poorly acted piles of celluloid fecal matter.

Last Seen Alive, 0/10; Stars Gerrard Butler as a husband who's wife mysteriously disappears at a gas station. While Butler is gassing up the car his wife goes inside to buy a bottle of water and never returns. This movie is excruciatingly bad, everything about it is awful. The characters, the acting, the plot, the direction, just everything. If Butler's character had any sense he would have just shrugged his shoulders and gone home again when his wife failed to appear again.

The Hunt
8/10

Liberal elites get together to kidnap regular maga-Americans, and hunt them for sport. The basic premise of rich bastards and their "hunt" is a cliche, but this movie is more of a comedy or a satire.

Nope
5/10

It was okay. I'm not mad that I spent $5.99 to rent it. It was one of those movies that had a lot of intriguing elements that just never come together in a very interesting way. Some good ideas that just fizzled out.

Brandon Perea's character was wholly unnecessary. Cut that entire character out, have the main characters do a little more work, and it would shaved some of the long run time down.

Although it was less than it could have been, it was a decent watch overall.

Barbarian
5.5/10

Good cast. Some very tense and creepy moments, and good atmosphere. If you're into horror, this should probably go on your list.

That said, we've seen some version of this movie god knows how many times before. I think horror is a great storytelling medium, but it seems that filmmakers have largely run out of ideas. For example...

The whole, "Don't go down/in there!" thing happens often and reaches the point where you lose sympathy for what had been a great main character. The explanation of the monster is largely hand-waved away. An attempt at explanation is made but it doesn't make any sense and consist of one sentence of dialogue.
It seemed like the movie had a good thing going with the theme of women's physical vulnerability to men, but then that part of the movie suddenly ends and the rest is an exercise in things we've seen before. This one happens to do most of those things as well as they can be done, but still.
There's also some too on-the-nose attempts to subvert expectations, but by the time that happens, you can see it coming and it's not at all surprising.
Oh, the film also addresses urban decay, but falls short. It was a good idea, but the writers just didn't seem to know what to do with it or how to do it.

This movie is being touted by many horror fans as one of the best of 2022, so again, if you're a horror fan, you should check it out.

The Pez Outlaw 7/10
This bumpkin from Michigan gets into Pez dispensers and is told, if you want the good shit, stuff you can’t get in the US, you have to go to Eastern Europe. So off he goes with his American dollars. He comes to find out folks at the Pez factories in Eastern Europe are rather fond of American dollars and are happy to sell these Pez dispensers and pocket the money.
Also, Pez USA never filed the proper paperwork with Customs so they can’t stop him from bringing duffel bags full of Pez dispensers into the country and selling them to Pezheads. From there it’s a fight with a couple select dickheads from Pez USA.
Then it’s all in for one last big score.

Back
Top Bottom