• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

"American Society of Magical Negroes"
I saw the trailer on IMDB. Looks good, Looks like fun I want to see it. But not in public. I think it will make me uncomfortable. Which is OK in private. I have a black friend who I have seen a lot of Sci-Fi movies with. And discuss Marvel movies with. But I'm afraid I'll say something stupid if I talk to him about this movie. (I said something stupid when Nick Fury turned black)
On IMDB it says it only lasted 3 weeks in theaters. I'm looking forward to the DVD.

Ex Machina
8/10

For some reason I'd never seen this one. I'd heard about it a lot but never got around to watching it.

It's about AI and its implications, but done so on a very human and relatable level while at the same time maintaining suspense and subtly creating lots of intriguing red herrings that quickly lead to layers of possibilities, all of which are worth thinking about.

The special effects are amazing. While they're an important piece of the movie, the filmmakers incorporate them in a way that enhances the movie, but are never used to carry it.

If you haven't seen it, you should check it out.

The American Society of Magical Negroes. I give it a 1/10 because it makes white people uncomfortable.
I saw the extended trailer. I like the way it's lit , the photography, acting, the magic...I'm intrigued...I'll watch it and let you know...

Has anyone heard about the Rama movie? All I can find is a release this summer.

Ex Machina
8/10

For some reason I'd never seen this one. I'd heard about it a lot but never got around to watching it.

It's about AI and its implications, but done so on a very human and relatable level while at the same time maintaining suspense and subtly creating lots of intriguing red herrings that quickly lead to layers of possibilities, all of which are worth thinking about.

The special effects are amazing. While they're an important piece of the movie, the filmmakers incorporate them in a way that enhances the movie, but are never used to carry it.

If you haven't seen it, you should check it out.
Seen it a few years ago. I liked it.

The American Society of Magical Negroes. I give it a 1/10 because it makes white people uncomfortable.
I saw the extended trailer. I like the way it's lit , the photography, acting, the magic...I'm intrigued...I'll watch it and let you know...
We had a thread on "magical negroes" on this forum about 10 years back. No need to see the movie, just read the thread and you'll learn everything there is to know. ;)

White People Think Black People Are Magical

We had a thread on "magical negroes" on this forum about 10 years back. No need to see the movie, just read the thread and you'll learn everything there is to know. ;)

White People Think Black People Are Magical
I was there a minute ago...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic...cinema of the,a tradition in American fiction.

It's available for rental on Amazon, but I wouldn't recommend spending money on it. It's a niche comedy that only a few people might find funny. I mean it can be enlighten to some but that's not really the purpose of a comedy.
I disagree. It's worth it for anyone to pay to watch it. Jeffrey Wright's performance is so good in just showing what kind of gymnastics Black people have to go through to interact with white people who only want to see the stereotypes. And those overly fawning white people are REAL. lol

Maybe one reason I liked it was remembering Eddie Murphy playing the convict poet reciting, "k**l my landlord, k**ll my landlord, C-I-L-L, k**l my landlord," and white people pissing their pants with glee. :rofl:

Anyway, I totally loved American Fiction. I think those white characters were not at all over the top, though not all white people act like that but the ones who do were well portrayed in this film. :biggrina:

Trying to avoid spoilers but the interaction in the coffee shop gave me a good laugh. There are obviously way more than that.

Trying to avoid spoilers but the interaction in the coffee shop gave me a good laugh. There are obviously way more than that.
Or the voting for the literary award and how proud over half the judges were with the decision they made.

There have been entire decades in my life when I watched zero movies! Now I seem to be making up for lost time: When all the attractive possibilities on Netflix are exhausted, instead of cleaning up my room or doing something constructive, I pick one of the less attractive Netflix choices and watch it.

I just watched The Guilty with Jake Gyllenhaal. It gets 6.3 IMDB points, but I'd give it 3.6 at most. I'd rank it even lower but then some of you might waste your eyeballs to see how a movie could rank so low.

The camera is on Jake's character throughout the film and he hardly moves except to visit bathroom and vomit near the end. It's a minor spoiler to say that the plot revolves around Who is mentally ill? In fact it is Jake's character that is so deranged one wonders why he isn't taken away in hand-cuffs.

ETA: Give me some credit for sanity. I did watch much of the movie at 1.5X speed.

The Guilty was an awful movie, I bailed after about 40 minutes. 3.6 is way too generous.

The 2014 thread had a list of movies with the magical negro trope, which included the Big Jim Slade sketch from Kentucky Fried Movie. Which I found a little surprising (no white people in it), yet nostalgic (KFM was the first "R" movie I saw and I was only 16. I can't believe now that they let me in as I looked about 12 years old when I was 16!).

Caution: May not be suitable for all audiences.

Big Jim Slade

Ruby Rhod? What?!

Lamont in American History X? Umm no. That is plot.

Rufus in Dogma? That is a gag.

Morpheus is a main character. The magic dude is Neo.

Louise in Sex and the City. It is NYC, are there suppose to be no blacks at all? The trouble with Sex and the City is that the main cast is all white. Louise isn't magical, she is a character playing a small role.

The Genie in Aladdin? Ok, come on.

Ruby Rhod? What?!

Lamont in American History X? Umm no. That is plot.

Rufus in Dogma? That is a gag.

Morpheus is a main character. The magic dude is Neo.

Louise in Sex and the City. It is NYC, are there suppose to be no blacks at all? The trouble with Sex and the City is that the main cast is all white. Louise isn't magical, she is a character playing a small role.

The Genie in Aladdin? Ok, come on.
But Neo can not be because he ain't black, man. Also Neo is the main character.

"(The name Morpheus is that of the god of dreams in Greek mythology, which is consistent with the character's involvement with the "dreaming" of the Matrix. The mythical Morpheus and his family, including two brothers (Phobetor and Phantasos), lived in a dream world protected by the Gates of Morpheus with two monsters standing guard. Beyond the gates were the River of Forgetfulness, beside which Morpheus once carried his father to hide in a cave, and the River of Oblivion. This theme of duality carries over to Morpheus in The Matrix, who offers Neo either a blue pill (to forget about the Matrix and continue to live in the world of illusion) or a red pill (to enter the painful world of reality)."

Now, "The ORACLE" is played by a black woman..." She's your magical negro!

latest

Morpheus is one of the main characters in the movie, and one of the most important established characters in the environment. He isn't some out of no where, magical character. He is one of the leaders.

The question to ask about the Oracle is whether the Matrix meant for her to be a magical negro or it was just random chance. In earlier iterations, did humans not react well enough if she were a magical white woman?

Back
Top Bottom