• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

In the Heat of the Night - Finally finished this film. Real life just kept on getting in the way. The film is quite edgy and Poitier does a great job of putting the viewer on edge. He definitely does have that intensity many credit him, especially in this film. What I don't understand is why he has the initial motive he does in the investigation. Why go after Endicott? It just seemed to have so little behind it, that a good cop would have needed a bit more to make the leap.

Tom Brokaw said this film winning the best film Oscar was a travesty. I don't understand why. There was no artsy film that was in competition. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner may have been the other option. The Graduate was just experimental 60s fluff. Bonnie and Clyde (of which I have yet to see) was a film of similar thriller aspects.

The film is very good, but not perfect or great. It certainly has runs of greatness, but then it kind of derails before getting back onto the tracks. Some of the puzzle pieces kept on being placed in the puzzle without the viewer being able to know it was even in play.

3 of 4

I seem to be watching a lot of people walking through the Australian desert, lately.

I came to Lucky Miles without any expectations, never having heard of it.

Long story short, stranded asylum seekers.

Minimal plot but well worth watching. 8/10

Speaking of Sydney Poitier. Guess Who's Coming To Dinner was a brave effort for the time in bringing interracial relationships to the fore. No big deal today, but it was somewhat at the time this movie was made.
I would rate this very highly because of the fine acting and subject matter. 8.5/10

Ging chag goo si/Police Story

8/10

Jackie Chan's first outing as indestructible Hong Kong policeman Ka Kui Chan is a very enjoyable and fast-paced action comedy. This film and its sequels are not noteworthy for brilliant plotting or dialogue, but for the high-energy action sequences, some of which are still pretty remarkable today. Maggie Cheung made her first of several appearances as Ka Kui's long-suffering girlfriend May

Forest Gump, on VCR. We haven't watched it in the last 5 years or more and were showing it to a guest who had never seen it before. She was impressed. It's still a great flick, though the memories it evokes have receded farther, along with our hair. 10 - does everything a movie should.

Forest Gump, on VCR. We haven't watched it in the last 5 years or more and were showing it to a guest who had never seen it before. She was impressed. It's still a great flick, though the memories it evokes have receded farther, along with our hair. 10 - does everything a movie should.

WTF is a VCR?

That is a wonderful movie. It was by chance I read the book by Winston Groom about a year prior to the movie coming out. The book is rather chaotic but worth reading as you also get Forrest's space mission and resulting crash in the jungle of New Guinea where he plays chess with a cannibal. Of course he wins and has to run for his life. What's not to love.

Run Forest run! "And I ran and I ran and I ran!" Then purely by accident he comes by a heap of Apple shares. It was a great film, among the best Tom Hanks has starred in. I think it rates very highly.

WTF is a VCR?
I heard it was culpable in the death of the radio star.

Run Forest run! "And I ran and I ran and I ran!" Then purely by accident he comes by a heap of Apple shares. It was a great film, among the best Tom Hanks has starred in. I think it rates very highly.
Take out the soundtrack and the movie isn't nearly as much. I think my problem with the movie was how overpraised Hanks was for the performance. He wasn't that good.

I can't get past the scene when Tom Hanks starts running cross-country, and before long hundreds of people are following him.

Then, when he decides he's tired of running, he stops. And the people behind him stop and declare that he's about to say something profound! How did they know that? You mean to tell me that in all the time it took FG to grow a beard to his navel, he never once stopped running to eat, sleep, or take a dump? And neither did all the people tagging along?

I can't get past the scene when Tom Hanks starts running cross-country, and before long hundreds of people are following him.

Then, when he decides he's tired of running, he stops. And the people behind him stop and declare that he's about to say something profound! How did they know that? You mean to tell me that in all the time it took FG to grow a beard to his navel, he never once stopped running to eat, sleep, or take a dump? And neither did all the people tagging along?

Maybe he'd never stopped in the middle of a street before.

I liked the end of that bit when he stopped, walked back to the people and said "I'm done running now" and then left. All the guys were like "WTF dude? That's it? I've been following you for years, man!"

More like two dozen people, and not the same ones the whole time. He said early in that segment that when he was tired he rested, when he was hungry he ate and when he had to go, well, you know. Reason the current batch of followers expected something profound was because of the "Shit Happens" and Smiley face bits.
You watch this while playing ping-pong?

WTF is a VCR?
I heard it was culpable in the death of the radio star.

Video killed the radio star, video killed the radio star. Well, it didn't, radio stars are still there. It's video tape that's been replaced by the memory card. :p

Take out the soundtrack and the movie isn't nearly as much. I think my problem with the movie was how overpraised Hanks was for the performance. He wasn't that good.

I can't think of many other actors who could portray the dorky Forrest as well as Hanks. Dustin Hoffman comes to mind and would have been great in that role as well.

I loved it for the story. Hanks was an afterthought. Any good actor could have done the job. Consider Charlize Theron in Monster. Edward Norton in The Score juxtaposed to American History X.
They took a book that transitioned poorly from one part of Forrest's life to the next, to the point where it was barely a story (almost a collection of shorts) and made something out of it. Granted, the movie was a bit heavy on Vietnam. Vietnam was the anchor. Personally, I would have liked a bit more implausibility in Forrest's life, one more oddball adventure.

Back
Top Bottom