• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Shalako. The British should steer right away from trying to make westerns. They suck badly at it! Made in 1968 and starring Bridget Bardot and Sean Connery. Actually, I must confess, the only reason I tried to watch it is because I was hoping I would see more of Miss Bardot's charms. I was deeply disappointed! :( The plot sucks as well. The only reason I rate it 3/10 is because of Miss Bardot's presence, otherwise it rates. 1/10

Star Trek: Into Darkness. Horrid script, pointless action sequences, and a tired, senseless plot. A total waste of the character Kahn. Can we keep JJ Abrams away from this franchise? 2/10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think Star Trek has passed it's use by date now. For me [showing my age here] the original Star Trek series as well the movies with Mr Spock and Captain Kirk and Sulu were better than all of what followed.

Beasts of the Southern Wild 9/10

I really liked this movie. It is set on the other side of the levee in Louisiana. The people live as people should live. They are part of the environment. They survive and they are happy, save for the levee and what it is doing to their existence. We're it not for the levee and the repercussions of it's existence, they would live. No money, no religion, no jealousy, etc. You know, the way it was meant to be. The way very few people in industrialized nation get to live and the rest do not understand.
There is this little girl named Hushpuppy who lives with her father, Wink. Hushpuppy represents the fragility of her environment. They both exist on the edge. The movie is very realistic, realistic from the point of view of Hushpuppy. This is her world and you have to view it through her eyes. She's not narrating for nothing.
If for nothing else, watch this movie for the little girl's (Quvenzhané Wallis) acting. Her father Wink played by Dwight Henry is no slouch either. He has spent most of his life in New Orleans and brings a level of honesty to the part no other actor could.

I think Star Trek has passed it's use by date now. For me [showing my age here] the original Star Trek series as well the movies with Mr Spock and Captain Kirk and Sulu were better than all of what followed.
The one problem with the latest film was it wasn't original, it was a remix of the second film. At least time travel wasn't used.

What I'd be more interested in is how Starfleet seemed to recover quick enough from the devastation of the Romulan attacks in the last film. And apparently Star Trek babies are cool to run their own ship without anyone on the crew that has more than 2 years experience.

I like SF as well as the next person, but I can't watch it when it's too far fetched. The early Star Trek material was no where near as far fetched as it was as it evolved up to the present time.

Only recently I watched The Time Machine with Rod Taylor in the lead which goes back decades. Compared to the remake which has much better digitally enhanced effects but is much more less credible there's no comparison in my view.

I would rate the former 8/10 the latter 5/10

Star Trek: Into Darkness. Horrid script, pointless action sequences, and a tired, senseless plot. A total waste of the character Kahn. Can we keep JJ Abrams away from this franchise? 2/10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's already left. And he left with the franchise being a blockbuster.

I hated the first Star Trek reboot, but the 2nd one was much better.

The one problem with the latest film was it wasn't original, it was a remix of the second film. At least time travel wasn't used.

What I'd be more interested in is how Starfleet seemed to recover quick enough from the devastation of the Romulan attacks in the last film. And apparently Star Trek babies are cool to run their own ship without anyone on the crew that has more than 2 years experience.

The 2nd Star Trek movie occurs 2 years after the 1st. They've had time to repair.

I don't know how old the characters are supposed to be. The actor playing Kirk is already the same age as Shatner was when he first started playing Kirk. Scotty and Bones in the original Star Trek series were peers of Kirk. In the movies, both are 10 years older than he is.

Spock, as we all know, is nearly 100 years old. :D

Vampire Academy. Until I saw the trailer, I had been dismissing this, based on the title, as probably some sort of Twilight/Vampire Diaries wannabe. But I actually found that the characterization, dialogue, and plot weren't irritating at all, and the mythology/politics of vampire society were intriguing. I realize now that this is an adaptation of a series of novels, so it makes sense that they put some effort into worldbuilding that sets the stage for a long-term myth arc. Still, I was amazed. 7/10.

American Hustle

8.5/10

Very loosely based on the FBI's Abscam sting operation of the late 1970s, this is a somewhat overrated film with an outstanding cast. Amy Adams is the standout in a terrific ensemble; she and Jennifer Lawrence both snagged Golden Globes. David O. Russell's film doesn't really explore the moral ambiguities of the Abscam case, but it does very effectively capture the atmosphere of late 1970s America.

The Mummy (1932)
6/10
Ok so I finally got around to watching the orginal Mummy movie with Boris Karloff in it
And it wasn't too bad
The plot moves along steadily and while some bits could have used a bit of extra time to play with it's different ideas it never feels too rushed or slow
The acting was also well done, with Zita Johann (man that woman has amazingly beautiful eyes) and Karloff being the ones I thought pulled off their roles the best (And the creepy Karloff scenes with her were fun to watch)
Also given the time it was made the special and practical effects as well as the use of costuming was all really well done and enjoyable to watch
So overall I thought this was a good movie and I am tempted to go back to some of the other classic monster movies

King Kong Returns
5/10
So this is one of the sequels to the original King Kong movie
And it is good in a kind of cheesy trainwreck kinda way
The acting is all over the place with the good guys being kinda bland, the monsters just kinda there but not doing anything and the villain (Awesomely called Doctor Who lol) even coming equipped with his own super villain cape
And to make it worse the voices are dubbed, and the ones that aren't are given horrible audio tracks to the point that it seems like everyone is constantly shouting because the audio is tuned too loud
THe story is rather simple and works for what is there, but once you get into the detail it become a bit comical as it either goes for the cartoonish Supervillain story or the "let just reference the original" angle with neither really working together..... or on their own for that matter
The effects..... well the less said the better
Except for the absolutely godawful King Kong suit which has two facial expressions "Surprided King King" and "Stoned King King" neither of which really work
But it is funny as hell
if you can stand really bad old movies for the laughter value then give this a watch, but as anything close to a serious movie I would just give it a miss

The Plank
2/10
So this is a short comedy movie about some guys needing a plank of wood to finish the floor of a house, so they go to the lumber yard to pick up a new one and hilarity ensues
It had some chuckles
but overall I wasn't blown away or laughing all the time
Apparently it wasn't supposed to have talking which mine did and I dunno if that affected the actual enjoyment
But a few chuckles then the end just kinda left this one as unmemorable

Bambi
7/10
So a couple of decades on I have gotten back to rewatching the old Disney movie
And I was kinda blown away by what was there
Now the plot is pretty simple as are the characters and while there are some very well done scenes (usually the bits involving the hunters) they are not what really stands out for me
What stands out is the traditional and gorgeous classic Disney animation coupled with a beautiful use of music and sounds (along with silence) to convey what they didn't need dialogue for
And that was a surprise for me coming back to it after all this time and hearing this use of sound and image to convey the story
And I really liked it and can probably appreciate it more as an adult then I could have has a young child
So this is a fondly remember Disney Classic and for me it stays that way even now

Rush Hour
6/10
So this is another movie I haven't seen in a while
And I found it held up quite well
Sure your mileage with Chris Tucker may vary (And ultimately this movie depends on how much you can handle his performance)
But the other actors all play their parts well, the plot moves along at a nice pace and the actions scenes are all fun to watch
So I would say this is worth a rewatch if you have seen it before and if you haven't and want a buddy cop action movie then you can do worse then this

There are 2 versions of The Plank. The other one was funnier. Both are so dated as to not cut it anymore.

A couple of days ago I watched Mr H is Late, by more or less the same crew. I remember it as being the funniest thing ever. In the past I laughed at the situations, now I am put off by all the mugging. Times and tastes change.

Recently I've watched

The Man with the Golden Arm. Non singing Sinatra. I had no idea Hollywood addressed the hard drug issue that early in the piece. 7/10

Top Hat

Gay Divorcee
Couldn't manage to get to the end of either. !935 "screwball" comedy is just annoying.

High Society The film equivalent of comfort food though The Philadelphia Story was better. 7/10

I watched bits of New Year's Eve which felt like a US version of Love Actually. Does anyone know if that was its history?

Top Hat

Gay Divorcee
Couldn't manage to get to the end of either. !935 "screwball" comedy is just annoying.

But these aren't really screwball comedies, they're Astaire/Rogers musicals. The only real reason to watch them is for Fred & Ginger's music and dance numbers--if that's not your thing, you won't enjoy them. The plots are always somewhere from inconsequential to idiotic--I've never seen Gay Divorcee, but in Top Hat,

the entire plot is driven by the fact that no one--literally, no one--in the entire movie ever introduces himself or herself to anyone else by name. :shrug:

Top Hat

Gay Divorcee

But these aren't really screwball comedies, they're Astaire/Rogers musicals. The only real reason to watch them is for Fred & Ginger's music and dance numbers--if that's not your thing, you won't enjoy them. The plots are always somewhere from inconsequential to idiotic--I've never seen Gay Divorcee, but in Top Hat,

the entire plot is driven by the fact that no one--literally, no one--in the entire movie ever introduces himself or herself to anyone else by name. :shrug:

You're right about the dancing but what got on my wick was the contrived, 3 door farce nature of them, though if I had known about the hidden bit (thanks for telling me that) I would have enjoyed just observing it.:)

Now I wish I hadn't deleted them.(No I don't :D)

Man On Fire. Starring Denzel Washinton and the delightful Dakota Fanning. [whatever happened to her?] This 2004 thriller directed by the late Tony Scott is superior to most films of this genre. 8.5/10

That reminds me of American Gigolo starring Richard Gere. That wasn't a bad film either. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I thought it was a fairly good drama. Not sure I would rate it 8/10, more like 6.5/10

Malifecent. 6.5/10

She was great, the visuals were great. The rest of the cast was forgettable.

Gamera 2: Assault of the Legion (1996)

Long stretches of boring human activity takes most of the fun out of this sequel to Gamera: Guardian of the Universe.

The monster battles are pretty good, with what appears to be a mix of man-in-a-rubber-suit monsters, models and CG.

Also odd, at least for a Japanese movie, is the Gamera-as-Jesus theme. There is a cross, a New Testament reference, a death-and-resurrection of Gamera and what almost appears to be divine intervention.

Not as good as the first in this series of 1990's Gamera movies, but the battle scenes almost overcome the weakness of the rest of the movie.

6.5/10

The Day The Earth Stood Still the original S/F epic is far superior to the remake. Although the modern effects were out of this world, the original version was much more plausible therefore better in my view. 7/10 for the original 5/10 the sequel.

The Bourne Identity

9/10

The first in a trilogy which I continue to enjoy over a decade after its initial release. Three reasons why--the factors that I consider trademarks of the Bourne films: 1) Matt Damon's convincing performances as the amnesiac assassin who gained a conscience when he lost his memory, 2) the strong supporting casts in each film--this time out we get Franka Potente, Chris Cooper, Brian Cox and a nice cameo from Clive Owen, and 3) the suspense and hard-edged action which the directors (Doug Liman here, Paul Greengrass in the sequels) treat us to. Not a classic, but a very well-executed action thriller.

Back
Top Bottom