• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Why not just send a robot sub to look for the Nazi gold? Jude Law is a national treasure and there's no need to risk him so unecessarily.

At least it wasn't Matt Damon. We'd have spent billions rescuing him.

One cannot put a price on Matt Damon. It doesn't matter which remote planet he's trapped on or what obstacles we find in our way, we're fucking heading over there and picking him up.

One cannot put a price on Matt Damon. It doesn't matter which remote planet he's trapped on or what obstacles we find in our way, we're fucking heading over there and picking him up.

He'd better start laying those golden eggs soon. Uncle Sam needs to get paid.

Carrie
2/10
So this is the 2013 version
And it is pretty boring overall
Most of the movie is long, slow and completely uninteresting
Which is a shame because the acting is actually pretty solid across the board
The only other good part of the movie is the scene where Carrie destroys everything which was well shot and quite interesting
but overall i would say just skip this movie

Terminator Genisys
6/10
Ok so I'm pretty sure everyone knows about this movie
And I thought that this movie had alot of potential
Ok sure it doesn't always live up to that potential and there are alot of holes
But the acting was all good and the story worked overall
I would say give it a watch if you like the terminator movies

Why not just send a robot sub to look for the Nazi gold? Jude Law is a national treasure and there's no need to risk him so unecessarily.

The movie asks a lot of its viewer. It's not stated exactly why a robot sub won't work, but you do have several choices to draw on. It could be because the rusted out bucket of shit they do use to go on this voyage is the cheapest thing possible. Or it could be that they don't want to be seen by the Russian fleet. However, this only crops up when they're under water in the sub and then become afraid that the Russians will hear them and presumably drop depth charges on them. Or it could be they don't want to be seen by some other entity who was told by Jude Law's friend that committed suicide that there was Nazi gold down there, but now all this stuff about government paper work and whatnot was preventing anyone else from getting the Nazi gold sitting just 90 meters below the surface. And the entity Jude Law's now defunct friend worked for didn't seem to really believe him about the Nazi gold.

It's an unintentional, "Stop asking so many questions and just watch the fucking movie!"

Water World had fewer plot holes and story gaffes.

However, the movie may have real-life applications insofar as teaching one how precisely to not go looking for something underwater. The group in this movie would have died looking for a quarter at the bottom of a fountain.

Run Silent Run Deep

7.5/10

This solid World War 2 film is set during the US Navy's submarine campaign against Japanese shipping. The submarine vs. surface ship action is believable and compelling, but the real clash is between the characters played by the two A-list stars, Clark Gable as a submarine commander on a personal vendetta and Burt Lancaster as his skeptical XO.

Run All Night, 6/10: Stars Liam Neeson as a semi retired hit man who's son gets caught up in a drug deal gone bad. Through various twists of fate, Neeson ends up killing his former boss (played by Ed Harris) and friend's son. So Harris' character vows to kill Neeson's son and it's game on as a struggle for survival ensues. There are some decent action scenes, the plot was pretty good and the acting performances were good.

This Is The End - 7/10

This is a Seth Rogen movie. You now know 90% of the film and the rest of the information is just filler.

A bunch of semi-famous actors play themselves and are having a party at James Franco's house when the Rapture happens and the world is turned into an apocolyptic wasteland. A lot of it is tongue-in-cheek laughing at the Hollywood lifestyle and they have a number of horror movie tropes done with self-obsessed narcissists who are totally unprepared to deal with this type of situation. It's the type of movie where you'll think that it was either done brilliantly or that it flopped terribly - I'm in the former camp.

Michael Cera as a completely coked-up asshole is hilarious and the "Let's make sure we don't rape Emma Watson" scene was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

The Mark of Zorro (1940 version)

9/10

This adaptation of Johnston McCulley's oft-filmed story features Tyrone Power in the role of the masked swordsman and his alter ego, the foppish Don Diego Vega. Basil Rathbone is there to die on Power's sword in the big duel, Eugene Pallette more or less reprises his boisterous Friar Tuck (here called Fray Felipe) from The Adventures of Robin Hood, and a young Linda Darnell is a very satisfactory love interest. While it's not, in my view, quite as good as the best of Errol Flynn's films, it's fast-paced and entertaining and established Power as a swashbuckling hero on a par with Flynn (and, later, Burt Lancaster).

Flash Gordon, 1980. This one needs a combined score. 1/10 and 9.5/10. The movie is AWFUL! Mrs DrJim and I haven't laughed so damn hard in ages! A great time. I did find I had to switch from to whiskey, though.
BTSflashgordonbluebig.jpg

Watching. SAHARA right now. Treasure hunting adventure set in Africa. Penelope Cruz makes it watchable, otherwise 4/10.

Watching. SAHARA right now. Treasure hunting adventure set in Africa. Penelope Cruz makes it watchable, otherwise 4/10.

I've started watching that about six times. Never managed to stick around long enough to get through it.

It seems like the kind of thing I'd like, so I keep trying it again, but it just doesn't work.

- - - Updated - - -

I've started watching that about six times. Never managed to stick around long enough to get through it.

It seems like the kind of thing I'd like, so I keep trying it again, but it just doesn't work.

Well, one thing's for sure: We're NOT risking Liam Neeson to rescue Matt Damon. No sir. No way.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - 5/10

While not a bad movie, it's like it was trying too hard to capture the tone of the first one and didn't quite succeed as well as not really offering anything more. That made it kind of fall flat. Worth watching if you're flipping through Netflix one evening looking for a way to pass the time, but you'll forget about it by the next day.

There was a lot of cool stuff in the first one and it would have been nice to see a sequel build upon that rather than just rehash it in a subpar manner.\

Spectre 7.5/10

Rather long for a Bond movie but there was more time spent on character building. I like Daniel Craig as Bond. I didn't find the Bond women terribly attractive in this film. The plot was fairly predictable for a Bond film, but I did like seeing Q get to do some in the field stuff.

Sink the Bismarck

8/10

A well-done British WW2 film about, as the title indicates, the Royal Navy's pursuit and eventual sinking of the German battleship Bismarck. It's pretty accurate for the time it was made (1960), although since this was prior to the declassifying of Bletchley Park, some elements of the story could not be told. A lot of the focus is on the behind-the-scenes coordination at the Admiralty, with the focus on Kenneth More as the Operations officer and Dana Wynter as his WREN assistant.

Timbuktu

8/10

Mauritanian movie about jihadists from Libya conquering Timbuktu and how the people there coped with and defied Sharia law.

Slow moving, content to let the message build through a procession of scenes and images. Beautiful and exotic to look at. Excellent music, applied with a light touch.

In primarily French and Tamasheq, subtitled.

Wizard of Oz - 10/10

A seventy year old movie that still holds up as perfectly well as it did back when it was new. I just watched it with my kids and they enjoyed it as much as I did and I enjoyed it as much as my parents did.

Wizard of Oz - 10/10

A seventy year old movie that still holds up as perfectly well as it did back when it was new. I just watched it with my kids and they enjoyed it as much as I did and I enjoyed it as much as my parents did.

Glinda the Good Witch was definitely Up to Something™, that's for sure. I think she pulled a Dick Cheney and used the arrival of Dorothy (unbeknownst to her ahead of time) as a way to fulfill her agenda of offing her rivals. She distracts Big Green with the ruby slippers. Then she puts the slippers on Dorothy--against Dorothy's free will, of course--and acts ignorant when Big Green wants them. "Oooh, their magic must be very powerful, or she wouldn't want them so badly." (starts at 3:30 in the below clip)

[YOUTUBE]DJAovQp7QY8[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry, Glinda. You can't jingle something in front of someone to get their attention, then act all surprised when they want to what you're offering. You know very well why she wants the slippers, but you're going to use Dorothy to do your dirty work.

Back
Top Bottom