• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Frozen by Disney, 2/10.

Granted that I am a little old for the target demographic, my wife and I watched it because we hear all about it in our theater circles. What a boring, formulaic bunch of pablum. Even the bulk of the songs were just lame. Totally disappointed.

Let it go.

Is there a separate thread for those of us who want to share our thoughts of how horrible Star Trek Into Darkness was? And it wasn't just offensive to Star Trek fans, but all intelligent movie-goers.

On the other hand X-Men: Days of Future Past was quite enjoyable, despite its flaws.

I for one ALWAYS enjoy the "everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot" point of view.

I liked Star Trek Into Darkness. And I liked Wrath of Khan.

I liked Star Trek into Darkness too. Wrath of Khan was also enjoyed by me.

Look, I'm not saying that you can't enjoy Star Trek Into Darkness. I'm just saying you didn't enjoy it because it was a paragon of Star Trek storytelling. Nor did you enjoy it because it had a coherent, logical plot or stimulating dialogue.

Your mind-reading skills need some work. My enjoyment of anything Trek rarely involves coherence, logic or dialogue. Well, maybe TNG had some good dialogue.

How about we all go out and see a fresh, new movie? This horse looks thoroughly dead and completely flogged.

Cliffhanger starring Sylvester Stallone, say no more! Is this guy the worst actor who ever lived or what?? What utter rubbish. Made in 1993 and looks it. 2/10

I tried to watch Rushmore but gave up after 45 minutes or so. There were a few chuckles, but nothing substantial ever materialized. Boy is threatened with expulsion, doesn't seem to care. Boy falls in love with older woman, woman finds him amusing. Older man who dislikes own children takes a liking to boy. Plenty of potential conflict, but no one seems to care about anything. I don't require over emoting in movies, Hell, I'm fond of the Coen brothers after all, but this movie was really listless. I liked the Royal Tennenbaums and the Life Aquatic (to some extent) but this seems to be their lesser cousin.

1/10

Shadowy Man said:
Look, I'm not saying that you can't enjoy Star Trek Into Darkness. I'm just saying you didn't enjoy it because it was a paragon of Star Trek storytelling. Nor did you enjoy it because it had a coherent, logical plot or stimulating dialogue.

Your mind-reading skills need some work. My enjoyment of anything Trek rarely involves coherence, logic or dialogue. Well, maybe TNG had some good dialogue.

You'll note that my comments about plot and dialogue were in a different sentence than my reference to Star Trek storytelling, mirroring the logical structure I set up in my initial post where I said that the movie was offensive to Star Trek fans and to intelligent movie-goers. So, I agree that a good Star Trek story need not have coherence, logic or dialogue. But what I am saying about Star Trek Into Darkness is that it was neither a good Star Trek story, nor did it have coherence, logic or dialogue, which could have made it a good movie even while not being a good Star Trek story. I will gladly say that my "mind-reading skills" need work if you can honestly say that Star Trek Into Darkness was either a good Star Trek story or had a coherent, logical plot with good dialogue. I do agree that you can enjoy it, just not for those reasons.

Is there a separate thread for those of us who want to share our thoughts of how horrible Star Trek Into Darkness was? And it wasn't just offensive to Star Trek fans, but all intelligent movie-goers.

On the other hand X-Men: Days of Future Past was quite enjoyable, despite its flaws.

I for one ALWAYS enjoy the "everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot" point of view.

What was incoherent about the plot to you? Seemed pretty straightforward to me.

Dialogue stimulating in a Star Trek movie? Since when? This is not a talky foreign movie.

What was incoherent about the plot to you? Seemed pretty straightforward to me.

Dialogue stimulating in a Star Trek movie? Since when? This is not a talky foreign movie.

Too many nested quotes. Brain overload. Interest in nerd arguments fading...fading.............fading.........................

:)

Sand Sharks
5/10
So this is pretty much what it seems
Sharks that swim in sand...... then naturally start eating people
Oh and they really go for the whole "lets quote Jaws whenever possible' angle
And it kinda works
The characters are varied and interesting, some falling into stereotypes but most just kinda having fun with the roles and none coming across as exceedingly annoying or stupid
The plot is appropriately silly and keeps a good pace throughout
About the only letdown is the really really really cheaply animated Sharks which can come across as more stupid then anything else
But if you like a little bit of fun and can stand some cheap animation, then this movie works well enough

Enders Game
5/10
Ok so I have read the book a few times and was interested in the movie
And I can't decide if it would have been better to have watched the movie before the book or not
Because ultimately this movie seemed to be a highlight reel for the book
Going through and showing all the major plot points and skipping all that tedious detail and character building in between
So characters from the book come and go pretty quickly, major events are quickly shown and moved on from and the movie ticks each one off with almost mechanical precision
But I still kinda liked it
I think they really did a good job with the look of the movie
It felt like Enders Game come to life and it was really awesome to see all the things working and interacting like they did(Except the computer game which just looked a little cheap)
I thought that all the actors worked perfectly in the limited roles they were given
And everything that was presented was I think pretty damn awesome
But that lack of detail stops this being great
If this had been 2 movies, slowed down and explored in more depth then I think these movies could have gone from "alright" to "awesomtastic" as the seeds of greatness were there
So thats my 2 cents as a fan of the books

Romantics Anonymous

6/10
So this is a rather quirky little French film about two people with crippling social anxiety, falling in love and trying to save a chocolate factory
And it is quirky and fun
The lead actors are both likeable and preform their roles well
I might have liked a bit more of the female lead and an exploration of her side in more depth but it doesn't distract too much
The plot mves along well and the supporting actors all do their parts well
So if you want a simple and fun little romcom then this one is worth the watch

Insidious

A horror movie about a boy who becomes possessed but not totally possessed. This not quite possession happens because the boy has an innate ability to astral project.

I thought it was a good angle. I'm sure there are other possession movies that don't involve a young girl either about to bud into her sexuality or in the process of doing so, but I can't think of any offhand. So the idea with it being a boy and the whole astral projection thing at least had some originality to it.

One of the weird things about this movie was that some of the special effects were great, but then it looks like their budget got cut towards the end. At that point, the effects look like something out of an old Twilight Zone episode. I'm not exaggerating.

Oh, BTW, the movie sucks. You shouldn't see it.

3/10

Avalanche Sharks
3/10
This movie kinda drags
It does have a cool premise, basically alien magic supersharks that swim through snow turn up and begin eating people at a ski lodge
And when it has the sharks doing their B-movie buisness in all their cheap cheesy CGI glory it is not too bad
The acting is fine (for a movie of this level) and the whole thing does a good job of action and character
But this movie is just stuffed with random side characters that go nowhere and scenes that long overstay their welcomes in between their shark appearances
And they only serve to bring the movie to a screeching halt
If they were cut then this movie may have been up there with Sand Sharks in terms of fun
but as they are the movie can get really draggy
So not bad, but the extra randoms just bring this one down IMO

Noodle
6/10
So this is an Israeli film about a woman who is left with the son of her Chinese housekeeper after said housekeeper is deported
And you really need to be able to stick out the beginning
The start of this movie is definitely the weakest part and it can be confusing and tedious and not all that well done
But once it hits it's stride the characters all begin to grow on you and the story begins to unfold
And it is a good story
I must give kudos to the young kid actor as he is awesome, with the rest of the cast giving mixed but overall solid enough performances
if you like heart warming tales like this then give it a try

Alien Trespass
6/10
So this movie is basically a tribute to the old 1950's-1960's era sci fi movies
And it is solid enough
They don't spend the whole time making fun of the cheesy nature of the movies they parody and actually play it mostly straight which was fun to watch
It has a good sense of comedy and the effects are not over the top and yet still capture the feel of the old school
About the only quibble is that I would have liked to see them do more with what they had, and maybe aim a bit higher
but if you like old school sci-fi then this one will probably entertain

"Jersey Boys" 9/10 A good movie for Frankie Valli Fans.
Geesus christ! Enough of this Four Seasons and Frankie Valli shite. Only recently a staged musical played here in sunny Perth. Now a farking movie! When is enough is enough! I hated their music and that falsetto voice. :mad:

Snow Sharks, Sand Sharks. What's next Sharks on a Plane?
You forgot Sharknado.

Sharktopus > Sharknado
Apparently there is supposed to be one called Ghost Sharks, but I don't know when that would come out
You could also try Megashark vs Giant Octopus (it has a giant shark taking down a commercial airliner at like 20,000+ feet in the air)

Big Ass Spider
5.5/10
So this movie is pretty much exactly as the title says
And it has all the usual fare, cheesy spiders, government experiments, a girl who rejects the hero at first but fall for his heroism etc etc etc
Now everything about this movie is good
The acting is good and the main duo have some good chemistry together
the effects are low budget but very competantly done
and the script is pretty well put together
But when the movie was done I wasn't blown away
Because this movie takes no risks, tries nothing new and is not memorable for being really good or really bad
And so it doesn't stick with you at all and leaves no lasting impression like other movies such as Eight Legged Freaks do
And so in the end that took the overall enjoyment down a bit
So this movie is good, but kinda forgettable

The Thing (1951)

7/10
So this is the original thing (I should probably watch the 1980's version at some point)
And it was pretty well done
The sets are very detailed and large and detailed
The acting is all top notch with no parts being bad or annoying
The script is very well put together and everything moves along really well
The only problem is that "The Thing" is a little corny looking but I can get past that because of how well done everything else is
So definitely a good movie and well worth watching

Her -- 8/10

I really enjoyed this movie. It asks all the right questions about: How do we get to be who we are? What is the nature of relationship? What gives us joy in life?

I re-watched Titanic recently. It was a bit trite but still an enjoyable film.

7/10

Animals in love 10/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0498091/

Best first date movie ever. Just a bunch of clips of animal courting rituals, fucking and caring of off-spring. It's so well done. And we've all done awkward shit when we're fucking. This will make you feel good about yourself, no matter what embarrassing thing you do later.

...and why not add another documentary

Winged Migration. 10/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301727/

If you're ever stressed out. Watch this. It'll mellow you down in no time. Endless gorgeous long shots of various birds flying. I could never figure out how they did it technically. Must have been hard to pull off. Cool anyhow. If you need explosions to keep yourself awake, this is NOT the film for you. It's very sloooooooow.

Both of these documentaries pulled in every award they could at the time of the release. So it's not just me who likes them.

So I watched this movie, called Journey Into the West. Loosely based on the incredibly wacky Chinese Classic of the same name, the movie version manages to be even wackier.

With some not perfect but at least fun computer animation, a lot of action slapstick, and some rather unfortunate (but at least non-hateful) gay panic humor, it tells the story of a novice monk turned demon hunter, in a China so filled with demons that this is a rather common profession. This monk unfortunately has neither magical items, nor martial arts prowess, or spells, like his competition. What he has is a book of children's fables and his master's charge to defeat demons by convincing them to change their ways. This is the second action movie I've seen out of China recently that seems to be an all-out bit of proselytizing for Buddhism. Beyond that, it is great fun, with a pig demon that cooks and eats people, a fish demon with a frog's tongue, and of course the monkey-king demon who can more or less do anything and requires a Buddha ex machina to bitchslap him into submission with a hand the size of a continent (really!).

Given that the monk only graduates to full monkhood and is sent off on the titular journey in the last five minutes of the story, we can expect more installments of this rather bizarre mixture of broad comedy, action, and religion.

6/10

Back
Top Bottom