• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

The Thing (1951)

7/10
So this is the original thing (I should probably watch the 1980's version at some point)
And it was pretty well done
The sets are very detailed and large and detailed
The acting is all top notch with no parts being bad or annoying
The script is very well put together and everything moves along really well
The only problem is that "The Thing" is a little corny looking but I can get past that because of how well done everything else is
So definitely a good movie and well worth watching

The 1980s version of the Thing is now widely seen as a classic. Must see viewing. A little bit dated technologically speaking but not enough to detract as they don't resort to much technology. Must see.

Charley Varrick

8/10

A very enjoyable heist film with strong performances from Walter Matthau as a bank robber who inadvertently runs afoul of the Mafia and Joe Don Baker as the ferocious, improbably-named Molly, the hitman on his trail.

Wise Guys a 2005 comedy starring Danny DeVito, one of my all time favourite actors in Harvey Keitel and Joe Piscopo. A crime caper comedy worth a look. 7/10

The Intouchables

Reportedly the second-highest-grossing film in France, The Intouchables explores the relationship between two seemingly polar opposites. Based on a true story, a wealthy quadriplegic needs an attendant, and for unknown reasons he hires an street-smart ex-con. I think the hook of the movie is that they were made for each other because they're both shunned by society (Get it? They're both intouchable) yet they develop a friendship that surpasses expectations.

For me, though, the movie bounces around in what it's supposed to say. Is this about accepting your limitations? Breaking down stereotypes? Learning how the other half deals with life? Is it a buddy movie? Are we supposed to laugh appreciatively or tsk when a street thug acts out at an opera he's forced to attend against his will? There's so many characters that come in, introduce a bit of plot conflict, and then exit never to be seen again.

All in all I wasn't displeased, but I wouldn't rate it as high as so many others have.

What the hell was all the fuss about the movie HUNGER GAMES. Attempted to watch it tonight tonight. One hour is far to long watching this this crappola. 5/10.

What the hell was all the fuss about the movie HUNGER GAMES. Attempted to watch it tonight tonight. One hour is far to long watching this this crappola. 5/10.

Box office returns indicate you are in the minority.

Shindlers List was also a huge box office success and won a cupboard full of awards. Those who criticized it for the length of time it took to get to the plot were also silenced. Some went as far to call the criticism anti Jewish.
Well, sorry, but I walked out about 90 mins into it.

The film was targeted at young girls. Are you a young girl?

The film was targeted at young girls. Are you a young girl?

I also attempted to watch it and just couldn't get into it. I figured it was geared for a younger audience and probably for those familiar with the books. So I quit watching within the first hour.

I watched Ironclad a very well done but strangely listless movie. Good as an antidote to all these epic medieval fantasies, in that it was about twenty guys defending a castle against a (small) army, in a realistic way.

However, it really didn't seem that anyone's heart was really in it, somehow. Charles Dance was bored as the Archbishop of canterbury, James Purefoy was no fun as a Templar knight who wanted to quit being a templar but has to go defend the castle on his last day on the job (seriously). The only one who seemed committed to his role was Paul Giamatti, playing King John as a vicious sadsack as only Paul Giamatti can.

6/10

Shindlers List was also a huge box office success and won a cupboard full of awards. Those who criticized it for the length of time it took to get to the plot were also silenced. Some went as far to call the criticism anti Jewish.

You are in the minority for that one too.

[

Come on. It was a Stephen Spielberg film about the Holocaust: therefore, it cannot be criticized. Not for the melodrama of "I could have saved more! I could have saved more!" or for the tricky Schindler, outsmarting the camp halfwit throughout the entirety of the second half of the movie.

I personally liked the movie overall though despite its glaring and rarely mentioned glaring flaws.

And don't worry about how much money it made. How much money a movie makes and its actual quality as a piece of film-making art have zero correlation. Unless wants to make the argument that animated films like Frozen are masterpieces of the cinema.

Anyway ...

Prince of Darkness

An utterly unwatchable piece of shit that's not even good for falling asleep to. It's a late 80s turd of a horror movie about Satan being incarnate as goo in a glass jar.

-4/10

[

Come on. It was a Stephen Spielberg film about the Holocaust: therefore, it cannot be criticized. Not for the melodrama of "I could have saved more! I could have saved more!" or for the tricky Schindler, outsmarting the camp halfwit throughout the entirety of the second half of the movie.

I personally liked the movie overall though despite its glaring and rarely mentioned glaring flaws.

And don't worry about how much money it made. How much money a movie makes and its actual quality as a piece of film-making art have zero correlation. Unless wants to make the argument that animated films like Frozen are masterpieces of the cinema.

Anyway ...

True, but we weren't talking quality.

Lord Of Elves
This one doesn't even deserve a score
Literally I lasted about a minute before wanting to turn this off
Overall the movie was on less then ten minutes before removed
it really is that bad
It is from the asylum though, but this is bad even by their standards

An Autumn Afternoon
2/10
Supposedly a classic Japanese movie, but I don't see it
The whole movie could be summed up by the standard conversation the characters have (all old men BTW)
Man 1: Is your Daughter married yet
Man 2: Not Yet
Man 1: She should get married, and did I mention the other guy has a hot young wife, I hope he takes his vitamins lol hurr hurr hurr
Man 2: hurrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Repeat over and over and OVER
And all this delivered in some of the most wooden acting you will ever see
Which just made this really boring to sit through each time it was repeated

Justice League: New Frontier

4/10
I wanted to like this
I liked the premise that the heroes were still yet to stamp themselves and were individually trying to resist/cope with the rampant corruption around them
I liked the intertwining of origins stories
I liked the character designs that were based on the 60's era outfits
I even thought the VA was all well done and well presented
But this movie ends up getting too preachy, takes too long between interesting things happening, and the final villain is pretty lame
There is alot to like, but the overall package just didn't work IMO

Mass Effect: Paragon Lost

5/10
So an anime based upon the popular video game series
And it kinda works
It's biggest failure is that it wouldn't really work with people not familiar with at least the second Mass Effect game, as it just kinda throws in the big players like the Collectors, Reapers, Shepard, Normandy and Cerberus
But if you are familiar with the game then this just doesn't live up to the standard it sets in terms of characters and story
The characters are all pretty one dimensional, and really you will forget names pretty quickly
I actually only kept them apart by going, so theres the infiltrator class, the engineer class etc
The voice acting is competant
And the animation is nice
But the script is pretty formulaic
The only original bit being the ending which I thought was actually quite well done and was a rather nice twist
But it doesn't save this film from being mostly forgettable
If you haven't seen or don't like ME then just skip this, if you are a fan then give it a go but don't expect too much

We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson,

A good movie. Would watch it again. It looks at the futility of some battles. Goes over the top in terms of Americans fighting thousands of enemy soldiers.

7/10

An Accidental Soldier 8/10 Nothing to criticise. Beautiful to look at, most of the time, poignant story.

Just finished watching Red State. So caught up in the horror of the plot that I can't rate it.

Who the F**k Is Arthur Fogel?

A documentary about the man who changed the way popular music concerts are produced. Fogel is responsible for 7 out of 10 of the top grossing tours of all time, including the Police reunion tour, U2's record breaking outings, Madonna, the Rolling Stones, and Lady Gaga.

In the process of telling the story of how Canadians changed the concert biz, it points out that the days of blockbuster tours by veteran artists are threatened by the instant fame phenomenon of shows like American Idol, yet it glosses over the fact that Fogel is also responsible for Live Nation...the corporate outfit which promotes those "artists."

For anyone remotely connected to the music business, it is an interesting look into one of the real behind the scenes giants of the industry. It is also excessively reverent and a little long for such a topic.

5/10

Certain Prey Starring Mark Harmon and Taitiana Mastany. [never heard of her before] A cop matches wits with a hit woman and a corrupt lawyer. [aren't they all?]

As a crime drama it's worth a look. I believe it was made for TV. 6.5/10

Back
Top Bottom