• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Captain America: Civil War

Exactly what I expected, having seen the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe series. Pure escapism. 8/10

Ben-Hur
Better than I expected. No Charlton Heston, but Jack Huston was good.
10/10

Cowboys & Aliens

★★★★☆

I avoided this movie because it received bad reviews, but it actually an excellent movie.

It has a simple, well-paced story with a novel premise, well-developed characters played by good actors, beautiful settings and SFX.

It's a shame more action movies aren't like this instead of shit like Transformers.

Cowboys & Aliens

★★★★☆

I avoided this movie because it received bad reviews, but it actually an excellent movie.

It has a simple, well-paced story with a novel premise, well-developed characters played by good actors, beautiful settings and SFX.

It's a shame more action movies aren't like this instead of shit like Transformers.

It got horrible reviews and flopped, but I enjoyed the heck out of it. Olivia Wilde was miscast though.

Ben-Hur
Better than I expected. No Charlton Heston, but Jack Huston was good.
10/10

I thought to see it but avoided it because our local movie reviewer gave it the lowest possible rating, one star. He said the only thing going for is was the chariot race.

Anchorman 2 - 1/10

What piece of shit. I enjoyed the original movie, but this was just a half-baked remake. It was just a lazily thrown together cash grab which recycled the same plot and jokes wholesale from the original. It felt like something that was thrown together in a weekend.

Last edited:
Anchorman 2 - 1/10

What piece of shit. I enjoyed the original movie, but this was just a half-baked remake that they threw together in a weekend. It was just a lazily thrown together cash grab which recycled the same plot and jokes wholesale from the original. It felt like something that was thrown together in a weekend.

You are too kind.

I've never walked out of a movie before. I saw this on Netflix, and it prompted me to walk out of my living room. Then I remembered I could just hit a button and make it stop.

The Magic Sword 5/10

This is a retarded fantasy film from 1962. And that's the fun. Every actor reading their lines is like "oh, look at me now reading what is on the piece of paper in front of me". They're all delivered flat and well enunciated. The story is a trope-a-thon. Which I guess is expected for a film that is based on the quintessential fantasy, S:t George and the dragon. Every line is cheesy. Effects are great, for it's time. This wasn't a low budget film.

I saw this perhaps 100 times as a child. Which is why I re-watched it. I think it's a solid movie. This is kind of film you point to and laugh, and that's the fun. It's a hoot. Watch it drunk with a couple of friends.

And available free on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFnLqbDAlM0

Ben-Hur 5/10 - Oh dear, what a disappointment this was. Clunky dialogue and a terribly cheesy ending ruined it for me. Jesus episodes were dropped in randomly for no apparent purpose and added nothing of note to the main plot (whereas in the 1959 version, they were sparing and added something). Morgan Freeman playing the african just seemed to be Morgan Freeman in a strange costume. His character made little sense, being as he was obviously a dealer in horses, but had to defer to someone falling off a boat to help cure one of his horses.

The sea battle was good and the chariot race excellent. 4 out of the 5 points above were for these two sequences. But... you'll have to trawl through a lot of tedium to get to them.

Those 11 oscars that the 1959 version won are not under any threat.

Hercules (the Dwayne Johnson version)
4/10

Not a bad movie per se, in its own juvenile niche. If you are expecting "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" with bigger budget and starring the Rock, that pretty much hits the mark. The plot twists are rather easy to anticipate, but the action is solid and I think it manages to dance the line between mythology and CGI monsters and trying to root it into some sort of "realistic" history. I hear there was another shittier Hurcules movie in 2014 also which was a borefest precisely because it tried to be too much of the latter. If you like the Rock, or if you want a fun romp to watch with your kids or something, this might be a movie for you.

Sisters - 2/10

Struggled through 1/2 hour of this, until my wife mercifully said, "This isn't funny", and we moved on. Having Tina Fey yell "Fuck" might have comic value once, if you didn't expect the character to say "Fuck". When the writers are such lazy fucks that they have her yell "Fuck" fifteen fucking times, one can only assume they're lousy writers, or they were just in it for the paycheck. Either way, fuck them.

[lament] You'd think by now making good movies would be a fine art, with very few bad or even marginal movies being made. [/lament]

Do you mean 'Sully'?

The trailers for this movie look strange.

The producers look like they've tried hard to up the drama of a plane landing on a river with everyone surviving!!! with the captain of said airplane been raked over the coals.

"Our simulator models show you could have turned around and made the nearest airport..."

:hysterical:

Yeah, in a plane with no engines that is rapidly losing altitude and in a narrow flight corridor over one of the highest populated areas in the world.

Wow, now that's fiction. The producers are trying to pretend that Sully was vilified and suspected of negligence and not treated like the hero that he actually was from day one to this day.

They had to try really hard to invent drama ASIDE FROM A PLANE DITCHING to draw out the incident and make it into a movie.

Dumb.

Space Cop 6/10

I was just lazily scrolling through the Popcorntime list of films when this gem popped up. Space Cop. Didn't even finished reading the blurb. They had me at "schlocky". Which was the first word. The film delivers. It's awful, but in a good way. It's an attempt to do an 80'ies style cop movie, in the vein of Kung Furious. Oh yeah... the story. A traffic cop from 2058, in a space ship chase (speeding space ship) goes by mistake into some sort of space distortion which sends them back in time, to our time. The great thing about this movie is that he's just automatically part of the police force still and nobody asks any questions. They all just accept that he's from the future and get on with their business. He gets partnered with a detective who's a 40'ies style hard-boiled Humphry Bogart type cop. And so on and so forth. The jokes are all really lame and way too obvious. But hey... it's a schlocky film. It's expected. I think the Space Cop is supposed to be a parody of Judge Dredd. He's like a lazy and inept overweight Judge Dredd.

I still didn't give it high marks. Something is off. I think it's the pacing. I think it's just badly edited. They linger on weird shots and cut too quick in other places. It's off. So it's a bit jarring. If you are a marijuana aficionado this film will be perfect for you.

Timeline 4/10

4 points are for good looking cast and concept. Everything else sucked.

Can't recall if I reviewed this movie before, but saw it on a rerun.

It was just as sucky as the first time I saw it.

Yeah, let's send 21st century Medieval scholars and a surfer dude slacker (a young Paul Walker who couldn't act his way out of a paper bag) back in time to the middle of a war between the French and English to look for someone. And let's make sure we include a guy who is French because no way would he be in any danger if the English happen to capture them...Oh, and you need glasses? Sorry, 1-800 Contacts is not available, so we have to send you without them and good luck with not being able to see when you're in the war zone.

They don't agree with each other, they don't agree to any pre-planning because that's not what surfer dude does. It's like sending the crew from Murphy Brown (if you get the reference) to the past and expecting them to blend in and survive.

Laughable.

Just saw the version of Avatar with the extra 16 minutes.

They cut 2 scenes that the film didn't need (The scene at the beginning that establishes Sully as a good guy, and the killing of Tzu Teh)

And they cut small individual, personal scenes that let you care about some of the other characters. I wish they hadn't done that.

Back
Top Bottom