• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Logan 9/10

This is the single best movie of the X-Men franchise. It's like an indie movie, a comic book movie and a western had a bastard love child.

I really hope FOX learns from this: more emphasis on the drama/characters/story, and less emphasis on big budget action-movie spectacle.

Oh, and there was no end-credits scene, so don't stick around unless you just want to watch the credits themselves.

Yay!!! SO looking forward to seeing this!

Hidden Figures
7.5/10

Very family safe story of racism and the low status of of women in during the 1960s. It could have gotten really ugly in the telling, but it stayed safe, with the women having supportive families, them working the system, meeting honorable white folks that 'came around' or equalized things or helped them, with of course, the women triumphing in the end.

I was spoiled by the movie Apollo 13 in the recreation of NASA in the 1960s, so the NASA parts of actually sending a man into space and the Mission Control room are low budget, but the rest of the movie is a costume dream. The women all look beautiful and impeccable throughout. Even when one has the flu. :p

It's based on a book, so I'm going to have to read it to see how much it was Hollywoodized. But the physics and math parts and the work of human 'computers' back in the day are very interesting.

Enjoyable.

Hidden Figures
7.5/10

Very family safe story of racism and the low status of of women in during the 1960s. It could have gotten really ugly in the telling, but it stayed safe, with the women having supportive families, them working the system, meeting honorable white folks that 'came around' or equalized things or helped them, with of course, the women triumphing in the end.

I was spoiled by the movie Apollo 13 in the recreation of NASA in the 1960s, so the NASA parts of actually sending a man into space and the Mission Control room are low budget, but the rest of the movie is a costume dream. The women all look beautiful and impeccable throughout. Even when one has the flu. :p

It's based on a book, so I'm going to have to read it to see how much it was Hollywoodized. But the physics and math parts and the work of human 'computers' back in the day are very interesting.

Enjoyable.

I haven't seen the film. But at this time computer programing was low status. So there were plenty of women doing it back then. Black women to. Sounds legit

Hidden Figures
7.5/10

Enjoyable.

I haven't seen the film. But at this time computer programing was low status. So there were plenty of women doing it back then. Black women to. Sounds legit

Not unusual or the first time:

Human computers.jpg

Hidden Figures
7.5/10

Enjoyable.

I haven't seen it, but hope to (probably when it comes on DVD). It sounds good. I came across a website recently that checked the movie versus reality, and there was some Hollywood embellishment, in particular some of the racist/sexist incidents and people were made up. The racist character played by Jim Parsons was made up. I recall the three women IRL didn't feel that they were badly mistreated, though there was segregation, but that seemed normal to them and they didn't fret about it too much.

I haven't seen it, but hope to (probably when it comes on DVD). It sounds good. I came across a website recently that checked the movie versus reality, and there was some Hollywood embellishment, in particular some of the racist/sexist incidents and people were made up. The racist character played by Jim Parsons was made up. I recall the three women IRL didn't feel that they were badly mistreated, though there was segregation, but that seemed normal to them and they didn't fret about it too much.

Seeing Jim Parsons playing a conservative racist red-neck is alone worth seeing this film for. How can that not be pure movie gold?

Logan 9/10

This is the single best movie of the X-Men franchise. It's like an indie movie, a comic book movie and a western had a bastard love child.

I really hope FOX learns from this: more emphasis on the drama/characters/story, and less emphasis on big budget action-movie spectacle.

Oh, and there was no end-credits scene, so don't stick around unless you just want to watch the credits themselves.

Me too!

Sausage Party, 8/10; Animated adult comedy by Seth Rogen/Jonah Hill. It is not very subtle in its mocking of religion but still does it in a very amusing way. Worth a watch.
But you may not want to watch with kids..... ;) My teens were fine till the end....TSwizzle knows why.

Me too!
Saw it this weekend. Sigh...... It was very good, although more gory than previous films. My 14 year old daughter cracked me up though with her Hugh Jackman vs Huge Ackman comment though! <for those that don't know the reference in the final "night at the museum" film, Hugh Jackman did a cameo and the character kept calling him Huge Ackman.>

This movie was emotional too.

Hidden Figures

★★★★★

Can't really fault it, except for perhaps that one cheesy scene

where Harrison knocks down the Coloured bathroom sign in front of the crowd.

Logan 9/10

I agree. As grand finales go, this one is pretty f'ing grand!

9/10

Eagle Eye 6.5/10, would have been 7.5/10 with a better ending

no way he lived without major crippling damage it at all

I saw it because of the craziness of Shia recently and the Wikileaks CIA release. I am glad I did.

I liked how it was kind of a standard thriller combined with

HAL from 2001

I watched Midnight Special. It was blech. Not enough interesting dialogue or story, too many tropes.

Secret Life of Pets - I walked in expecting less than Minions, but more than Madagascar. It was better than Madagascar, but really offered nothing new. I was extremely disappointed when the apparent main conflict appeared and was dreadfully cliche. The movie wasn't bad, but it wasn't particularly interesting due to the cliches. I disagreed with casting Kevin Hart, his character could have sold better with a much softer vocal sound, but same Marxist rebel attitude. Kids would probably like it because it'll be "fresh" to them.

2 of 4

Logan - 9/10

They really did an awesome job with this movie and it was the best X-Man film to date. It's refreshing to have a superhero movie that's just dark and depressing the whole way through and the whole "gritty realism" thing works well for this character. It's a major departure from the X-Man franchise, both comics and movies, where the mutant phenomenon is cast as a civil rights matter and this film has the oppressed minority just having been completely wiped out and the last handful left alive are just eking out the end of their existence without any hope and Xavier is wasting away while having seen his entire life's goal completely destroyed. I also liked how Wolverine's adamantium skeleton, which has always been a key aspect of his invincibility and power, is the thing which finally does him in and he's dying as metal poisoning slowly overwhelms his healing abilities - it just adds so well to the sense of hopelessness and despair in the movie.

Damn good fight scenes and Jackman and Stewart have the best performances they've given as the two characters they've made so iconic over the years. I also liked how they never tell us what happened to all the other X-Men - they just died and everything is over and he survivors are never really doing anything except trying to get through the next day. Extraordinarily well done.

Kong - 7/10

A fun monster movie where you can just turn off your brain and watch a giant ape slug it out with dinosaurs. The writers learned their lesson from the Godzilla movie, where they kept cutting away from the monster fights until the very end and focused on the humans, and just had this one be a bunch of monster fights which were interspersed with some humans wandering around doing stuff you didn't care about. Silly but enjoyable.

exit through the gift shop can i give it 11/10?

Wall-Street-Rat-Let-Them-Eat-Crack-by-Banksy.jpg

the above is an example of the work of Banksy, one of the artists featured in this documentary.were this a film about street art and culture, that would be good, but it goes beyond that, crashing through the fourth wall like andy warhol on a coke binge. intially we see guetta, a frenchman, who is videotaping various street artists, ostensibly for make a documentary. in this we get a grand tour of street art, which is both hilarious and fierce. as time goes on, it becomes clear that guetta is not a filmmaker, but just a nut with a camera. he does eventually try to make the film, and on viewing it, banksy tells him it's crap and perhaps he should give up filmmaking and explore his artistic side......(there's a quote by banksy about this that had me literally rofl). and he does - he proceeds to make himself into a sensation, copying the form and mode of street art perfectly, while entirely missing the actual soul/art. he not only succeeds, but opens a gallery in LA, star studded opening, soldout for weeks, and makes a huge amount of money selling 'art' that is garbage. and so on - it's so meta.

Logan 9/10

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Great movie. The best Wolverine movie. The best X-Men movie (thought it is technically post X-Men). Awesome action sequences, with 100% more decapitations than previous X-men films. And, it still manages to hit you in the feels several times, even when you know it is coming from the beginning. it is the swan song for Hugh Jackman's depiction of Wolverine in the movies, and he goes out on the highest of notes. Patrick Stewart has not yet committed to hanging up the wheelchair as Xavier, and has expressed interest in portraying him in the next Deadpool movie. Hopefully they will continue with this X-23 story line, as Dafne Keen did a great job portraying that character. Chances are, however, that they will cock it up royally if they do go that route.

Didn't Xavier die in the third X-men movie? How did they fix that?

Or, as they say in comic books, 'Didn't Xavier "die" in the third X-men movie?'

Didn't Xavier die in the third X-men movie? How did they fix that?
Have they even tried? Days of Future Past, he is quite alive.

He probably just stole somebody's body and then used his psychic powers to make everybody see his old body whenever they looked at him. The man was actually quite evil, as can be seen by his decades of kidnapping children and turning them into child soldiers for his army of mutants. Sure, he pretended to educate them and give them decent lives, but have you ever noticed that the teachers at his so-called school aren't qualified educators and instead are just random other kidnapping victims who've already been indoctrinated into his cult? Are they even teaching anything? Have any of the students of supposedly high end school ever gone onto college?

There's something fishy going on there and nobody is asking questions about it. Given that nobody is asking questions about the activities of a guy who can control other people's thoughts, that makes it even more fishy.

Back
Top Bottom