• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

you show up unannounced and unasked for in a conversation that has nothing to do with you and insult the participants.
you're politely told to fuck off, and now you think you have some standing to further mock other people.
so, no it's not a touchy subject at all - it's that you're being a fucking douche, so piss off.

But really, *maybe* the storylines are not meant to be reconciled? Is that not a possibility?
sure why not, but then we wouldn't be having a conversation about it, there wouldn't be any forum posts on the subject, and the entire function of discussion and human interaction regarding the exchange of information and ideas on a fundamental level is undercut because you don't like people talking about things you're not personally interested in.
I think you are confused. This is a public discussion board, where anyone can post. It isn't a personal conversation.

And I don't know why you get the impression I don't like or I am not interested in X-men movies, I just disagree that there should be some sort of reconcilable, self-consistent storyline.

I really love the the new X-men franchises, even though ostensibly there is continuity with X1-X3. X1 - X3 are best just ignored in my opinion. Although X2 was OK. I thought First Class was great, and I really want to see Logan (which looks like it may be one of the best comic book movies ever).

Or maybe, maybe, it's just a bunch of stories with no logical way to reconcile them, and the creators never bothered to, because no one really cares except a few comic book nerds?

Considering how much retconning happened in the "canon" of the comic books over the decades, I can't be too fussed with how a handful of movies are reconciled. I own Uncanny X-Men from #95 through past #300, and many comics of the ancillary series such as X-Men, X-Factor, New Mutants, Excalibur, and it's all quite a mess. In fact, it was partially due to all the time travel and alternate reality crossovers that I finally decided to stop collecting. Oh, yeah, and the bone claws... sigh.

Yeah, it makes even less sense in the comic-book world, were there retconning is rampant. Just let go, people. Just let go. Appreciate the art for the neo-mythology it represents.

Considering how much retconning happened in the "canon" of the comic books over the decades, I can't be too fussed with how a handful of movies are reconciled. I own Uncanny X-Men from #95 through past #300, and many comics of the ancillary series such as X-Men, X-Factor, New Mutants, Excalibur, and it's all quite a mess. In fact, it was partially due to all the time travel and alternate reality crossovers that I finally decided to stop collecting. Oh, yeah, and the bone claws... sigh.

Yeah, it makes even less sense in the comic-book world, were there retconning is rampant. Just let go, people. Just let go. Appreciate the art for the neo-mythology it represents.

This isn't some sort of "Why is Jubilee a teen in every timeline" continuity issue. The main character was ripped atom from atom. And then perfectly fine. It deserves at least some sort of explanation.

This isn't some sort of "Why is Jubilee a teen in every timeline" continuity issue. The main character was ripped atom from atom. And then perfectly fine. It deserves at least some sort of explanation.

Right before his destruction Xavier transferred his consciousness to a new body that McTaggart had waiting for him.

Right before his destruction Xavier transferred his consciousness to a new body that McTaggart had waiting for him.
So they put him in a new paraplegic body?

Well obviously. He lacked the phlebotinum needed to live in a fully able body for any length of time. Obviously.

I would have thought that was obvious.

No, he just used his mind-warping powers to make everyone think he was still in a wheelchair, and that he still looked like Picard, while he was actually strolling around on two legs, looking like a bum, and having a good laugh. Then Days of Future Past happened, and he got zapped back into his old body, except now it was even older and more decrepit.

No, he just used his mind-warping powers to make everyone think he was still in a wheelchair, and that he still looked like Picard, while he was actually strolling around on two legs, looking like a bum, and having a good laugh. Then Days of Future Past happened, and he got zapped back into his old body, except now it was even older and more decrepit.
That really clears things up.

I hope they do a film that explains when the Prof stops having to put his fingers to his head to do the brain thing.

Arrival 5/10

Missed it in the theaters and I was looking forward to this, so I paid the $2.00 to get it from Redbox, instead of waiting for it to come to cable. The fractured way the world dealt with the arrival was pretty realistic, I thought. The scenes of them working out how to understand the alien's language were very good, but when the movie was over I really felt that I wasted 2 hours on a

Pro-Life Propaganda piece

instead of a great science fiction movie

sigh...

Maybe his injury is actually psychosomatic? When in the comics he got his new body he initially had difficulty walking.

As I've said before, I'm not too bothered by the continuity problems, especially with regard to X3, which was just an overall waste of an X-Men movie. I thought they should have really done the Dark Phoenix story right and brought in Mastermind and the Hellfire Club. So sad...

I'm at the moment taking a break from revisiting the director's cut of Amadeus.

What a wonderful film. Oh, I know that elements of the story were stretched for dramatic purposes, and the premise (that Salieri hated Mozart and tried to kill him) was certainly fiction, but everything else about it is captivating. The music, of course. The costumes. The relentless attention to detail.

And yet one of my favorite things about it is that the actors don't presume to put on accents that might fit their character.

9.5/10

What a wonderful film. Oh, I know that elements of the story were stretched for dramatic purposes, and the premise (that Salieri hated Mozart and tried to kill him) was certainly fiction, but everything else about it is captivating. The music, of course. The costumes. The relentless attention to detail.

And yet one of my favorite things about it is that the actors don't presume to put on accents that might fit their character.

9.5/10

https://aelarsen.wordpress.com/2015/06/10/amadeus-killing-mozart/

9.5/10

True fact; we don't actually know which of Salieri's and Mozart's works were written by who. They were good pals and when they had more commissions then they had time to complete they would frequently help each other out. The idea that they were rivals is completely false. Both were famous enough, with enough work not to have to compete for prestigious commissions.

9.5/10

True fact; we don't actually know which of Salieri's and Mozart's works were written by who. They were good pals and when they had more commissions then they had time to complete they would frequently help each other out. The idea that they were rivals is completely false. Both were famous enough, with enough work not to have to compete for prestigious commissions.

Salieri "confessed" in his dotage, and it was common knowledge that Mozart suspected he was poisoned. Almost certainly he was not, I think the forensic speculation is rheumatic fever related kidney failure, but there it is.

During Mozarts life they were peers, but posthumously Mozart quickly eclipsed Salieri. This is the perspective from which the movie takes place. The fact that they often cooperated has nothing to do with rivalry, jeaousy, or backbiting. Mozart was scornful at times of just about everybody, including Haydn. He referred to his assistant Sussmayr as an idiot.

Distorted as it is, it's still a brilliant movie.

Maybe his injury is actually psychosomatic? When in the comics he got his new body he initially had difficulty walking.

As I've said before, I'm not too bothered by the continuity problems, especially with regard to X3, which was just an overall waste of an X-Men movie.
But if he is so powerful, why can't he make us forget we ever watched X3?!

As I've said before, I'm not too bothered by the continuity problems, especially with regard to X3, which was just an overall waste of an X-Men movie.

He's too busy using his power to make you forget Highlander 2.

9.5/10

The music is glorious. Tom Hulce (boy, has he aged badly :eek:) playing Mozart is brilliant with his casual but genius improvisations on the piano that do seem effortless and enviable.

Eh, FOX certainly deserves to be ridiculed for the continuity issues, but I can overlook them. Hell, I overlook them in the comic books.

Arrival 5/10

Missed it in the theaters and I was looking forward to this, so I paid the $2.00 to get it from Redbox, instead of waiting for it to come to cable. The fractured way the world dealt with the arrival was pretty realistic, I thought. The scenes of them working out how to understand the alien's language were very good, but when the movie was over I really felt that I wasted 2 hours on a

Pro-Life Propaganda piece

instead of a great science fiction movie

sigh...

Eh, I disagree with your analysis of the theme.

I thought the point of the child's death was to illustrate the downside of perceiving time in that way.

Because X-Men movies without Deadpool (not counting the fake Deadpool from Origins) aren't allowed to break the fourth wall. This is probably why Patrick Stewart has expressed interest in playing Xavier in Deadpool 2, which will allow him to break the fourth wall and make us forget about X3 and Origins.

Back
Top Bottom