• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Captain America - The Winter Soldier

This is when Captain America went from decent origin story to deep into the Marvel Universe narrative. And, with reflection, I think Captain America's path through to the end in End Game is actually beginning here. And Captain America isn't giving up his mission. He realizes his mission has no home in the world. Ultimately, to me (and maybe not the Russo's), the ending in End Game isn't a sort of "happy" ending. He has actually given up on hoping the world can be saved and so he takes back when he can. Back to Winter Soldier, this movie has many layers to it, has a darker side as well, all the while managing the humor well.

3.5 of 4

Before Salma my first love was Kim Novak. There, I've finally shaken that off my conscious! A sexier lady than Kim hasn't graced Hollywood since her heyday.

7.5/10

Our local tv channel 99 showed a repeat of a repeat of the 2013 made Star Trek Into The Darkness. Excellent special effects, and well acted. But the plot is little too far fetched which spoiled [ for me at least] a good Sci Fi flick.

Cap Kirk and the crew of the star ship Enterprise return to Earth to deal with a terrorist who has attacked the heart of Starfleet, only to encounter an unstoppable enemy with a plan of his own.

7/10

Before Salma my first love was Kim Novak. There, I've finally shaken that off my conscious! A sexier lady than Kim hasn't graced Hollywood since her heyday.

7.5/10

I hadn't heard of this movie, so I looked it up... Apparently it has a lot of good actors, but the film itself is awful.
Film critics Richard Schickel and Roger Ebert both said that the movie is so very awful that it is actually entertaining to watch, i.e. It's full of unintentional humor.

7.5/10

I hadn't heard of this movie, so I looked it up... Apparently it has a lot of good actors, but the film itself is awful.
Film critics Richard Schickel and Roger Ebert both said that the movie is so very awful that it is actually entertaining to watch, i.e. It's full of unintentional humor.

A little like Sharkanado. It's so bad that a watching it is a must! But my comments are meant to show Kim's sexiness.

7.5/10

A little like Sharkanado. It's so bad that a watching it is a must! But my comments are meant to show Kim's sexiness.

Watching Sharknado is quite unnecessary. There is no humor, intentional or unintentional. It is passable via only a Rifftrax commentary, preferably live.

Creature from the Black Lagoon, 7/10; A classic horror movie released in 1954 starring Julie Adams. A fun tale of a geology expedition that encounters a human like water creature, Gill Man. The plot is a bit flimsy and makes no sense at times but the action, mystery and horror keep things moving along to keep the viewer engaged. The cinematography is pretty good with some nice underwater scenes. Originally a 3D movie which would have been good to see. The female lead, the stunning Julie Adams play the damsel in distress very well as the creature interacts with her, a sort of King Kong/Fay Wray like scenario. The music was a bit intrusive at times. Overall a decent watch.

note on scores: i tend to grade relative to the genre of the film, not compared to the whole of cinema. a high score means it's a good example of that style of movie and a good movie within that genre, but not necessarily that it's a great movie.

Villains: 6.5/10
very well worn trope - a young criminal couple break into the wrong house and run afoul of some truly evil people.
but the cast is great, and they committed to the premise.
it fell apart a bit in the 2nd half but was still a nice little dark comedy/thriller.

VIVARIUM: 7/10
this is basically a twilight zone episode in movie form - a young couple are house hunting, are shown a house in a subdivision, calamity ensues.
it was well done though and i feel like since most of these types of films are seen as being an allegory for something, i really liked the allegory that this movie was presenting.

The Art of Self Defense: 3.5/10
part dark comedy, part "hey, what if Fight Club didn't exist? wouldn't that it amazing if we could take a bunch of ideas from that and then make a movie and everyone would be like 'oh shit! that's such a cool idea nobody ever thought of!'", the real problem with this movie is that it didn't play it straight enough, allowing the absurdity to be contrasted against the seriousness of the tone, and it didn't go goofy enough to be just a black comedy, so it suffered for flopping between the two and losing its sense of focus.

Watching Sharknado is quite unnecessary. There is no humor, intentional or unintentional. It is passable via only a Rifftrax commentary, preferably live.

It's worthwhile watching to see film making at it's worst! It's that badly made and acted that it's quite humorous. A little like Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes. Which 'I'd rate 2/10

Creature from the Black Lagoon, 7/10; A classic horror movie released in 1954 starring Julie Adams. A fun tale of a geology expedition that encounters a human like water creature, Gill Man. The plot is a bit flimsy and makes no sense at times but the action, mystery and horror keep things moving along to keep the viewer engaged. The cinematography is pretty good with some nice underwater scenes. Originally a 3D movie which would have been good to see. The female lead, the stunning Julie Adams play the damsel in distress very well as the creature interacts with her, a sort of King Kong/Fay Wray like scenario. The music was a bit intrusive at times. Overall a decent watch.

I agree with you about Julie Adams. Such a babe. I first saw her a few months ago on The Andy Griffith Show. I waited for the end credits to find out her name, and then looked her up on IMDB, and noticed she was in Creature from the Black Lagoon. So many lovely ladies in those old TV shows and movies.

I'm watching the latest Jumanji movie. Some nice moves, but it's a bit of a slog.

The previous one was wonderful, blew me away.

The Morning Wall 8/10 Two climbers on an unclimbed wall. Pretty intense situations unfolding, well shot.
LA 92 Documentary about the riots after the Rodney King beatings. Very informative. 8/10

The Morning Wall 8/10 Two climbers on an unclimbed wall. Pretty intense situations unfolding, well shot.
LA 92 Documentary about the riots after the Rodney King beatings. Very informative. 8/10

I thought The Dawn Wall was excellent.

Much of what they did looked impossible, but now I find that the impossible is being done routinely.

I thought The Dawn Wall was excellent.

Much of what they did looked impossible, but now I find that the impossible is being done routinely.

Yeah, sorry, got the name wrong....when you think about sports, they start so young and put thousands of hours into them. Thing we could only conceive of are now being done.

Turner Classic Movies showed 4 of the 6 films in the Lone Wolf and Cub series. The basic story is the high level samurai is set up by a jealous and rival clan who murders his family (except for him and his little son) and frames him for treason. He hires himself out as an assassin while he seeks revenge. The movies were made in 1972 +. Plenty of action and gore.

The first in the series is Sword of Vengeance (7/10). It sets up the story and there is plenty of action. Most of the plot to me seems convoluted, but that is usually the case in samurai movies. Tomasaboro Wakayama is superb as the main character - Ogami Itto.

The second in the series is Baby Cart at the River Styx (5/10) - to rapey for my tastes.

The third is Baby Cart at Hades (8/10) - Excellent plot with plenty of action.

The fourth is Baby Cart in Peril (6/10) - The plot is good, but for my taste, it resorts to some fanciful gimmickery to resolve the action.

For some obscure reason, TCM is not showing the last two in the series until late September.

Romancing The Stone

[A romance novelist sets off for Colombia to ransom her kidnapped sister, and soon finds herself in the middle of a dangerous adventure hunting for treasure with a mercenary rogue.][/I]

Starring the then very delicious Kathleen Turner and the evergreen Michael Douglas. This film has it all. Adventure, romance, action and comedy. Not to mention the always entertaining Danny De Vito.

9/10

Romancing The Stone

[A romance novelist sets off for Colombia to ransom her kidnapped sister, and soon finds herself in the middle of a dangerous adventure hunting for treasure with a mercenary rogue.][/I]

Starring the then very delicious Kathleen Turner and the evergreen Michael Douglas. This film has it all. Adventure, romance, action and comedy. Not to mention the always entertaining Danny De Vito.

9/10

That's my Mom's favorite movie of all time, I have seen it an absurd number of times. Check out the sequel as well if you haven't.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, 6/10; Stars Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach in the classic "spaghetti western", an epic movie. The story revolves around three bounty hunters playing off of each other in pursuit of hidden money. Each character is trying to play the other two in the hope of claiming the hidden money for themselves but they cannot get the money by themselves, they need each other. The movie has some really good things going for it but at nearly three hours long it becomes a bit of a chore to watch.

Back
Top Bottom